Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local roads in winter - Ring and Dingle peninsula

Options
  • 22-11-2020 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I am looking for information in relation to what roads in the Ring and Dingle peninsula may become unusuable with unfavourable weather conditions...by this I mean roads that get may get closed due to flooding and, although every road may get black ice if it gets cold enough, they remain untreated i.e. with salt.

I would expect (this is me speculating) that the N70 and N86 are always open, and smaller roads i.e. Gap of Dunloe, Conor Pass, etc, are a completely no-no.

Thanks for any comment and pointing me to the right direction, I hope those in the Kingdom are gearing up to a nice xmas....given the circumstances!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The Conor Pass is always risky in cold weather - especially on the Cloghane (northern side) where the sun never shines and there's lots of water on the road, dripping cliffs etc and you could find ice in several places. It's not so bad in wet weather - just wet - and you're fine if you take it easy. Same for the Bothar na gCloch between Camp and Keel - not a great road and best avoided completely in cold/icy weather.
    The main N86 at Gleann na Gealt - between Camp and Annascaul - can be tricky in snowy or icy weather too but is usually passable from mid morning even on bad days - and we don't get too much very cold weather back here.
    Other than that roads are fine as long as you take the usual care you would in rain/wind etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

lottpaul wrote: »
    The Conor Pass is always risky in cold weather - especially on the Cloghane (northern side) where the sun never shines and there's lots of water on the road, dripping cliffs etc and you could find ice in several places. It's not so bad in wet weather - just wet - and you're fine if you take it easy. Same for the Bothar na gCloch between Camp and Keel - not a great road and best avoided completely in cold/icy weather.
    The main N86 at Gleann na Gealt - between Camp and Annascaul - can be tricky in snowy or icy weather too but is usually passable from mid morning even on bad days - and we don't get too much very cold weather back here.
    Other than that roads are fine as long as you take the usual care you would in rain/wind etc.

Thanks a lot, very useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Anywhere on the Ring that is close to the sea will usually be least affected by icy conditions. Heading up to Molls Gap would be a different story.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Anywhere on the Ring that is close to the sea will usually be least affected by icy conditions.

The only time I have come across a road closure on the Ring was due to a land slide near Kells, and that was one August evening at 6pm! Most of the traffic then tried to get to/from Killarney via Ballaghisheen. That was chaotic due to camper vans and lorries not being able to pass each other, resulting in a long tailback near Killeenleagh. We ended up having to turn around, go down to Waterville, then around by Sneem and Molls Gap. Took over three hours to do what would normally take less than an hour.

Give me snow any day!:)

I have received more specific details...I will be using the N22 a good bit (Killarney towards Macroom).

Any concern with that road? It looks fairly important for the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

gzoladz wrote: »
    I have received more specific details...I will be using the N22 a good bit (Killarney towards Macroom).

Any concern with that road? It looks fairly important for the area.

That's the main Cork - Kerry road so will always be treated with grit/salt after any bad weather to keep it open.

It's undergoing a big bypass project for the next year or two so you can expect delays every so often.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The N22 is fine from Killarney until just after Baile Bhúirne/Ballyvourney - (the top of the county bounds can be sleety in bad weather but will be treated - it's the main road from Kerry to Cork) but between there and Macroom is one of the narrowest and twistiest main N roads you're likely to come across so if the limit says 80km/h stick to it etc. As Rows Grower says it's in the process of being bypassed and you can easily see why. Once you get to Macroom it's a fairly standard N road.

Thanks guys, very helpful.

Really looking forward to the visit...wildlife spotting break with the family.

I have a lot of research done about it, but if anyone happens to have (and is willing to share) specific local knowledge/tips, that would be great (I occasionally publish what I spot in the Nature and Wildlife forum, in case anyone is interested).

Stay safe everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

This is Kerry, not Tromso in Northern Norway.

I have to go back a decade to the great snows in December 2010 and 2011 to think of any significant and lasting road closures in Kerry. Even then, I made it to some very remote spots with a bit of careful driving. I remember doing Moll's Gap with the road covered a thick layer of snow.

gzoladz wrote: »
    Thanks guys, very helpful.

Really looking forward to the visit...wildlife spotting break with the family.

I have a lot of research done about it, but if anyone happens to have (and is willing to share) specific local knowledge/tips, that would be great (I occasionally publish what I spot in the Nature and Wildlife forum, in case anyone is interested).

Stay safe everyone.

December doesn't sound like the best time for wildlife spotting in Kerry so I am curious what you end up seeing. I read a great blog post a few months ago from a university (UL?) trip wildlife spotting in Kerry. I have tried to find it again but no luck.

Deer in the national park in Killarney. Wild goats if you hike the Reeks.

Near Killorglin, Cromane lower (when you drive down past Jack's restaurant) is a great place for bird watching, but I have my doubts if there will be much to be seen in December.

Around Dingle: Slead Head for whale watching, but again probably not the time of year for that. Fungie is gone.

I have seen seals a few times as you drive into Portmaagee.

• Advertisement

embraer170 wrote: »
    This is Kerry, not Tromso in Northern Norway.

I have to go back a decade to the great snows in December 2010 and 2011 to think of any significant and lasting road closures in Kerry. Even then, I made it to some very remote spots with a bit of careful driving. I remember doing Moll's Gap with the road covered a thick layer of snow.

Thanks, I suppose I want to avoid any unneccessary risk, in particular on a family trip. The reason behind the original question was to avoid getting accommodation in a spot that mahy become unaccassible or dangerous in poor weather conditions.

embraer170 wrote: »
    December doesn't sound like the best time for wildlife spotting in Kerry so I am curious what you end up seeing. I read a great blog post a few months ago from a university (UL?) trip wildlife spotting in Kerry. I have tried to find it again but no luck.

Deer in the national park in Killarney. Wild goats if you hike the Reeks.

Near Killorglin, Cromane lower (when you drive down past Jack's restaurant) is a great place for bird watching, but I have my doubts if there will be much to be seen in December.

Around Dingle: Slead Head for whale watching, but again probably not the time of year for that. Fungie is gone.

I have seen seals a few times as you drive into Portmaagee.

Thanks, I will look that report up, and also the locations mentioned. Winter can be very good for birding but obviously it is not the migration season. Wildfoul, woodland birds, divers and some sea birds are likely, and you may always get the odd rarity who has decided to winter in the area.

Red and sika deer, seals, wild goat and the above are very likely.

One our wishlist (wish, key word...these will be from hard to almost impossible to find) are:

-White Tailed Eage, not impossible, apparently Molls gap and Glengarriff are the best spots.

-Otter, also not impossilble, widespread but elusive, and the kids love them.

-Pine Marten, very difficult, nocturnal and elusive, even if we go armed with trail cams, etc.

And will keep our eyes and ears open for:

-Badger, love them. I may not go actively looking for them but will keep an eye on marks, paths and setts, although they are much less active in winter.

-Hedgehog, almost impossible in winter as they go into hibernation. Although I have 2 friends (both in Galway) who get them in their gardens almost the whole year, probably because they are fed.

Edit: altough actually seeing the wildlife is fantastic, we enjoy a lot the research, looking for sings, etc. We will also go to see those that "we know will be there", but will also try the most difficult ones i.e. Pine Marten.

Sounds like a great plan for a holiday!

Advertisement