Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New roundabout at the top of Monastery Road in Clondalkin

• 28-08-2020 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any idea what the council were thinking with this redesign? Completely chokes up the place, no room to go left. If you haven't been here, works seem to have stopped because there's been protesters sitting on the roundabout for the last month!

Seems a crazy redesign. one lane on from all directions. Never seemed like a dangerous junction either as there's only really 3 exits. so not sure if safety is the reasoning. Plenty of room around it too as there's big grass verges on all sides. Seems the grass verge's are being made even bigger and just one narrow lane on and off at each exit instead of the old 2.

Fair play to the protesters, but I'd imagine the council will go ahead with it as soon as they get bored, it's half done already

Here's the old layout: https://goo.gl/maps/JpZCLt5qGAZUuzeEA

Here's the new in the pdf: http://www.sdublincoco.ie/Media/Item/42121

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

What are the protesters concerns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Is that the reason the trees have been cut down outside Siac offices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

stoneill wrote: »
    What are the protesters concerns?

Think its to do with increase of traffic, few housing estates around that area and traffic would normally be heavy anyway during rush hour times but now thats it reduced from 2 lanes to 1 will make traffic worse. There will be tail backs going into Clondalkin village.

The buses arent actually able to get around it now without going up on top of the actual concrete at the roundabout

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea what the council were thinking with this redesign? Completely chokes up the place, no room to go left. If you haven't been here, works seem to have stopped because there's been protesters sitting on the roundabout for the last month!

Seems a crazy redesign. one lane on from all directions. Never seemed like a dangerous junction either as there's only really 3 exits. so not sure if safety is the reasoning. Plenty of room around it too as there's big grass verges on all sides. Seems the grass verge's are being made even bigger and just one narrow lane on and off at each exit instead of the old 2.

Fair play to the protesters, but I'd imagine the council will go ahead with it as soon as they get bored, it's half done already

Here's the old layout: https://goo.gl/maps/JpZCLt5qGAZUuzeEA

Here's the new in the pdf: http://www.sdublincoco.ie/Media/Item/42121

There is a facebook group set up by local residents all info is in there and the responses got back from the council aswell. tbh I dont think they will be giving up anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

messrs wrote: »
    Think its to do with increase of traffic, few housing estates around that area and traffic would normally be heavy anyway during rush hour times but now thats it reduced from 2 lanes to 1 will make traffic worse. There will be tail backs going into Clondalkin village.

The buses arent actually able to get around it now without going up on top of the actual concrete at the roundabout

Yeah, i assumed it was traffic. IF you're going up monastary road and turning left down woodford hill, you could go in the left turning lane. But now you'll be stuck in the line of traffic heading towards the M50.

https://www.echo.ie/clondalkin/article/residents-feel-ignored-over-loss-of-traffic-lane-at-busy-junction

I like the line:
    “The council told us Orlagh roundabout in Knocklyon was a similar project and success story but we linked in with the residents in Knocklyon and they told us that is not true, and told us not to let them finish the works,” she said

Doesn't look like Orlagh was a success story, the locals want the works reversed!
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/knocklyon-roundabout-protest-traffic-chaos-15717163

Taking out left turning filter lanes and narrowing the roundabout and lanes going onto it is always going to negatively effect traffic. I just don't understand why they didn't leave it and put the cycle track in along side it, there was loads of room for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It seems like something similar to what was done to the roundabout at the junction of Castle Road, Willsbrook Road and Griffeen Way in Lucan. It was supposed to be about slowing down traffic and improving pedestrian crossings apparently - zebra crossings now across each exit of the roundabout. Ultimately it has resulted in much worse tailback in all directions on to the roundabout and made it difficult for residents of estates beside it to get out of their estates or even driveways in some cases. Buses seriously struggle to get around without banging the kerb. To me it was a mistake and I say that as a non driver pedestrian and bus user in the area.

Apparently part of the reason they're doing it is to make traffic worse to discourage traffic from parkwest going onto the m50

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Apparently part of the reason they're doing it is to make traffic worse to discourage traffic from parkwest going onto the m50

Logically you think it makes sense, but nobody will bother travelling to the next one (Newlands). Maybe they should consider HGV-only ramps onto M50 from Parkwest Ind.

Exactly what they are doing. Terrible design but it's going ahead with slight alterations. Whoever gave it the green light should be sacked.

Exactly what they are doing. Terrible design but it's going ahead with slight alterations. Whoever gave it the green light should be sacked.

Some planner and lads in the council that don't have to live with the consequences. Tell themselves and everyone else that every fùck up was actually a success.

• Advertisement

It's the way the kerbs stick out so much that i hate about it. You nearly have to put on full lock to negotiate the turns. Going to be accidents happening on it more frequently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

messrs wrote: »

It was always 1 lane. The only way it was 2 lanes, was to drive up the hill on wrong side of the road.
    It seems like something similar to what was done to the roundabout at the junction of Castle Road, Willsbrook Road and Griffeen Way in Lucan. It was supposed to be about slowing down traffic and improving pedestrian crossings apparently - zebra crossings now across each exit of the roundabout. Ultimately it has resulted in much worse tailback in all directions on to the roundabout and made it difficult for residents of estates beside it to get out of their estates or even driveways in some cases. Buses seriously struggle to get around without banging the kerb. To me it was a mistake and I say that as a non driver pedestrian and bus user in the area.

Pedestrian issues won't be addressed by the round about. The trees are too mature on the hill. They need to be trimmed on the whole thing and lighting needs to be improved at the top of the hill.

If people from Park West are using it to get onto the M50, all this will do is make it a slightly better option than getting stuck on the New Nangor Rd / Naas Rd. It's still the better option. It'd be interesting to see what was surveyed prior to the works.
    It's the way the kerbs stick out so much that i hate about it. You nearly have to put on full lock to negotiate the turns. Going to be accidents happening on it more frequently.

It's probably more so because the road hasn't been repainted. It's very disorientating to be sitting on the hatch markings of the previous junction. If anything, a round about that encourages people to approach and travel through it slower, should be commended. People drove through it too fast before, because there was a lot of width on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

When I first heard this I thought the residents were nuts busy bodies complaining for the sake of it. Having used the roundabout 4 or 5 times since, its a genuine head scratcher who thought it would be a good idea. The roundabout is very tight and the flow of traffic is horrendous. A couple of days the traffic in the afternoons is actually coming off the N7 and over the Luas bridge and this is before we've even got back to normal traffic volumes. The morning traffic is just a joke and feeding cars everywhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It was always 1 lane. The only way it was 2 lanes, was to drive up the hill on wrong side of the road.

1 lane approach but it split into 2 for turning. Miles better than they are proposing.

525294.JPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

People used it to rush up the wrong side of the road on the hill. It was annoying having to get out of the way, when you are on the correct side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steinbock123

It’s ages since I used Monastery Road , but I drove up from the Luas car park last night intending to go to clondalkin village. When I came upon the roundabout (it was dark at this stage) I actually thought there was some sort of landscaping/roadworks outside the gates of SIAC and there was no through road to the village!
    This resulted in me driving down the hill in Woodford direction and it was only when I looked in the mirror and saw cars going down Monastery Rd. that I did a u-turn and came back.
    I was gobsmacked when I realised what had been done, it makes no sense on ANY level. The lanes are now way too narrow. Accidents/ tailbacks are now inevitable here in my opinion.
    I’m driving a long time and cope with most things the roads throw up, but this flummoxed me at first approach. It’s a disaster in my opinion.

Well, the protests stopped the works. I'm pretty sure there was going to be some lighting installed , so you would have seen your intended exit. But can't now. There'll be more problems with that by the end of the month, if it doesn't get completely soon. But there'll be no time to re-design it now.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    1 lane approach but it split into 2 for turning. Miles better than they are proposing.

525294.JPG

Apparently the protest worked and 2 lanes are being put back in. Not on all approaches, think coming up Monastery rd turning left onto Woodford and also Woodford to Monastery. One lane still coming from the m50 down Monastery. Protestors said they'll be keeping an eye on the council and they will be back if they aren't doing what was agreed.

Well done to the protestors, we'd be stuck with a mess if it wasn't for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Zero sanctions for the designers/engineers. Typical.

Was always going to be a bit of a disaster at that point. But I understand the rat run from Park West to M50.

Not that familiar with the area but have been there now and then just the same, as you do.

Anyone hear anything more on this? No work on it whatsoever at the moment.

• Advertisement

Anyone hear anything more on this? No work on it whatsoever at the moment.

This is from the Dutch Residents Association FB page

In summary they are willing to angle the edge of the apron, but not reduce the height of it. They will also do some landscaping and give us the wildflowers that we asked for.
    The other requests are being denied. They will not widen the exits more or give a flare to the Monastery road exit.
    They also wish to start work ASAP, the week beginning 2nd November 2020.
    They do not seem to be willing to negotiate any further.
    On the positive side they have also gotten started on the request to have a kerb to cross over to the bus stop, which was badly needed.
    By design we are also getting a slip lane of sorts to the M50, the design is strange but it's definitely a lot better than it was.
    We would be interested in your opinions.
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Your DVRA Committee

I'd really love to meet the clown who gave this the green light in the first place.

I'd really love to meet the clown who gave this the green light in the first place.

I know!!! makes no sense at all:confused:

Looks like work is starting back up there

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Its awful going through there on a bus coming heading towards Clondalkin via Monastery. At the start the bus drivers were trying to negotiate the roundabout, but it made the angle awkward for turning onto Monastery especially if there was a truck or van exiting Monastery as there was so little room to pass. Now most bus drivers just drive over/through the kerb on the roundabout, which leads to an awful bang and bump and uncomfortable journey. Designers must not have considered the buses using it at all, unsurprisingly.

Yea. Buses heading up that way will be a thing of a past when the new routes start. They'll be using the New Nangor Road from what i gather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Its awful going through there on a bus coming heading towards Clondalkin via Monastery. At the start the bus drivers were trying to negotiate the roundabout, but it made the angle awkward for turning onto Monastery especially if there was a truck or van exiting Monastery as there was so little room to pass. Now most bus drivers just drive over/through the kerb on the roundabout, which leads to an awful bang and bump and uncomfortable journey. Designers must not have considered the buses using it at all, unsurprisingly.

Exactly as predicted.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114460735&postcount=7

They've made the same balls of it already in several other locations, so they obviously just don't care and are unwilling to take any feedback on board. It doesn't seem to benefit anyone really: pedestrian, cyclist, bus users or car drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Its an absolute nightmare to drive on. As you approach the roundabout you are eyeball to eyeball with cars already on the roundabout and you are trying to determine if they are staying on it or about to exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Yea. Buses heading up that way will be a thing of a past when the new routes start. They'll be using the New Nangor Road from what i gather.

Route 355 will be using Monastery Road if Busconnects is ever implemented, which I doubt it will be at this rate!

• Advertisement

What's the story with that? Surely Monastery serves far more houses than the Nangor?

What's the story with that? Surely Monastery serves far more houses than the Nangor?

The new Bus Connects routes don't make sense to me either. :D

https://busconnects.ie/media/1720/clondalkin-online-map-141019-fa.pdf

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Exactly as predicted.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114460735&postcount=7

They've made the same balls of it already in several other locations, so they obviously just don't care and are unwilling to take any feedback on board. It doesn't seem to benefit anyone really: pedestrian, cyclist, bus users or car drivers.

Ah, THESE roundabouts. Was struggling to visualize them. Saw a bus clip a kerb before I swore at the roundabout myself. Its horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,469 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I blame the councillors, this is exactly the sort of thing they're supposed to be keeping an eye on but not one of them did.

Scrap the cap!

They don't care. A guy who probably saw traffic counter stats and visited the place for a site visit once. Then he'll look at the traffic counter stats afterwards and hail it as a success.
    These little projects are always considered a success no matter how bad they are. If they're a failure, something else is blamed.
    But one thing is sure, the guy or team who signed off on this couldn't give a rats ass about how it effects the local area.

They are in the process of laying down new tarmac now.

• Advertisement

Which presumably means the new kerbs they put in are being left, and not changed at all :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That's the final design.

541801.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

There will be chaos

So still no left filter from Monastery onto Woodford. Disaster.

Scrap the cap!

So still no left filter from Monastery onto Woodford. Disaster.

Yeah, basically removed the most important part of the junction. Crazy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement