Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation in Letterkenny

Options
  • 25-03-2009 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭

hi there!

I am moving to Letterkenny and am looking on daft.ie for apartments/rooms to rent. Just wondering, where are the good and bad areas of letterkenny from a renting point of view?

I would be looking to get a more upmarket professional type place as opposed to studenty.

Cheers!

crisco10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

would you be sharing with strangers or living alone?

not sure if i'm allowed on here to say whats good or bad...so i won't.
    I would be looking to get a more upmarket professional type place as opposed to studenty.

Funny you say that because its the students who actually have best accomodation for money in the town..

Some students can get 2 bedroom apartment for €70, which includes electric,internet,tv license..

But anyway.. :eek:

All i can say is look around before you take the room/apartment.
    If the area/apartment is well looked after, you can guess its good place to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Just post the name of a few areas you have seen that are of interest and we'll give as much feedback as we can.

If your in the area you could pick up The Dealer free ads paper, loads of rented accommodation in there, probably a lot more than on daft.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Senna wrote: »
    Just post the name of a few areas you have seen that are of interest and we'll give as much feedback as we can.

If your in the area you could pick up The Dealer free ads paper, loads of rented accommodation in there, probably a lot more than on daft.ie.

Yeah not in the area yet which is irritating! well I suppose broadly speaking, i was looking at areas in the Glencar area, up the Kilmecrenan Road and then down new "Old Town" (apparently its across the bridge at Dunnes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

crisco10 wrote: »
    Yeah not in the area yet which is irritating! well I suppose broadly speaking, i was looking at areas in the Glencar area, up the Kilmecrenan Road and then down new "Old Town" (apparently its across the bridge at Dunnes)

Glencar is OK, depending on the estate, there is a load of estates up by kilmacrennan road, Glentain, gort na greine, are decent have both appartments and houses plenty for rent. Oldtown is ok , its a bit of a bottleneck traffic wise during busier times though. I know someone living in the flats across from the new dunnes (above breslins, street cafe, offices above units then flats on 2nd floor) they are very spacious i was surprised first time i was in them, they are strictly profesionals, lift ect.ect. if you are intereted pm me ill ge the mobile of landlord, not sure if any are free, worth a try though. the place above mcginley motors is good to as far as i know, not sure of the landlord try the garage they should know, sorry its long hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 NatDonegal

Best areas of the town are mountain top, gortlee, ballyraine ... that general side of town in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

lots of student areas in Ballyraine, Gortlee side of town, probably not that noisey though. Glencar would be better that way, most estates are good.

Kilmacrennan Road seems good too.

Depends I think where you plan to work and if you have a car/walking as some areas are a good ten minutes at least walking to town centre.

Old town was rough years ago but is now a more settled place with more older familes left.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's hard to come up with a list me areas to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

It's hard to come up with a list of areas to avoid.

Meadowbank (Murderbank)

Foxhills (The Caribbean)

Glen Tain (Calcutta)

FortWell (The Bronx)

and to a lesser extent Harmony Hill (Cop Town)

Thats the names on them for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

Farls wrote: »
    Meadowbank (Murderbank)

Foxhills (The Caribbean)

Glen Tain (Calcutta)

FortWell (The Bronx)

Apart from the first one, I take it you're the only one who uses those other names, i have never heard a being use them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'll give you Fortwell but it's no Jobstown.

• Advertisement

Apart from the first one, I take it you're the only one who uses those other names, i have never heard a being use them!

Nope have heard them used all around the town, including estate agents...if you lived in any of the estates you would agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Im staying in Glencar Park in Glencar, its a pretty good estate. Ive never had a bit of trouble white staying here. Very quiet and within walking disance of the town centre

Theres a few houses that have signs up at the moment, not sure if theyre for sale or rent but worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

the place above mcginley motors is good to as far as i know, not sure of the landlord try the garage they should know, sorry its long hope it helps.

My sister lived there up until a few weeks ago nice appartment and it's got underground parking very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Meadowbank (Murderbank)

Foxhills (The Caribbean)

Glen Tain (Calcutta)

FortWell (The Bronx)

Have you lived in any of these places?

Bob Z wrote: »
    Have you lived in any of these places?

I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I have!

Whats so bad about them? i used to live in meadowbank thought it was ok. Fortwell is right beside the main street

Bob Z wrote: »
    Whats so bad about them? i used to live in meadowbank thought it was ok. Fortwell is right beside the main street

Different strokes for different folks. I know two people that own houses in meadowbank and they can't get them rented as its such a kip, I would generalize the most of the long lane area in that breath actually. A quick rule of thumb would be if you owned a car > 20k would you park it there over night...no.

I know fortwell is not far off main street, doesn't make it any better. Sure the hibernian apartments are over looking main st. would you stay in them??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ajaymaity

Hey,

I know this is an old thread. Just wondering how is Church Lane and Grand Central Apartments. I have potential offers to rent from them, but wanting an opinion from someone who's been living in Letterkenny for few years. I am not a local :)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ajay

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

Church Lane is a lovely area - the focus of the Cathedral Quarter initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

What would Court Manor House be like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

piston wrote: »
    What would Court Manor House be like?

Lived there a few years ago and liked it fine. Handy for town etc. Lots of students stay there (i wasnt a student) and some people I talked to had issues with loud music/partying from neighbouring apts. Luck of the draw.

Advertisement