Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday location in donegal

Options
  • 01-02-2021 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Hi. Family are planning to spend a week in donegal this summer end of July but flexible for aug. ideally rent a house. But open to a hotel with self catering on their grounds. Location needs to be very close to beaches as we do kitesurfing and snorkeling etc. We will have bikes . A walk/cycle to village or town for food and pints would be ideal. Any areas suit this that I can look up??. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Dunfanaghy village is right on the beach. Falcarragh village is about a fifteen minute walk to Ballyness beach, Drumnatinney is a bit further and busier. Magheroarty
    would be nearest to Gortahork, which is a short cycle away. All have pubs, and cafes. Magheroarty is probably the nicest out of these beaches, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Culdaff in Inishowen has a great beach.

McGrorys is a great pub/restaurant/B&B. Within approx 1km of the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Pick a town that is close to any of the beaches on this map as a starting point
    https://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/302/region/Coast+Northwest+Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

slimboyfat wrote: »
    Pick a town that is close to any of the beaches on this map as a starting point
    https://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/302/region/Coast+Northwest+Ireland
    Great link there. We're working towards the Falcarragh area . What would be beaches that take a SW wind close by??.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

rje66 wrote: »
    Great link there. We're working towards the Falcarragh area . What would be beaches that take a SW wind close by??.
    Maghreraroarty is the best option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Magheraroarty is an absolute magnet for surfers, board and kite.

Falcarragh beach (Dromatinney) is also, but not as good I think (I'm no surfing expert!) - that's 6 miles away.

Lovely gastropub just up from Magheraroarty beach (not open at the moment, hopefully they'll get back up and running soon), a few nice pubs and cafes in Gortahork (3 miles), Falcarragh (6 miles) and Dunfanaghy (12 miles).

Thanks for replies, hopefully all accommodation isn't booked out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

rje66 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies, hopefully all accommodation isn't booked out!!

A quick glance at Airbnb shows lots of options. Some more remote than others!

Cashelnagor railway station is supposed to be gorgeous, it's the very definition of "middle of nowhere", but fabulous surroundings.

There's also a hotel in Gortahork, I've no idea what it's like to stay in (basic enough I suspect), and the Shandon in Dunfanaghy which I've never been in but I think is old-school and very popular with Notherners.

Great. Thanks

Advertisement