Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone explain please?

Options
  • 01-02-2021 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Thanks for reading. Daughter hoping to study primary teaching, so I guess that would be either in Dublin, Maynooth or Limerick. No one has ever been to college before from our family, so I don't understand how the finances work. We are ever so slightly over the income limit for special rate for Susi grant , so would qualify for the next level, which I think is in the region of €3,000. Does the student get to keep this, or is this to be given to the university to pay for fees? Finally, how do people afford accommodation? I've just had a look at student halls and the cost is way more than the grant amount. Thousands to be paid upfront! I don't understand how people do it! Even if she gets to keep her grant, I see that student accommodation needs to be paid upfront and the grant is paid in installments. I'm struggling to keep the roof over our heads here....going through insolvency.....I won't have a penny to give her. It's starting to look as if she won't be going to college after all. How do people do it, especially with accommodation costs so high?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 atomicsunshine

If she's eligible for the maintenance portion of the susi grant, she'll receive the 3000 in monthly installments throughout the year of roughly €336, AND Susi will cover the fees and student contribution

Most students get themselves a part time job

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

There’s also the option of student loans but as far as I know the parent has to sign as a guarantor so if you’re going through insolvency that prob won’t be an option
    Maybe a grandparent would be willing to sign?
    Inquire at your credit union,, they might have slightly diff requirements than a bank
    Unfortunately it’s an expensive undertaking and it’s so much harder if you don’t live near the college or have the means to pay for accommodation
    Do you maybe have a relative or know anyone living near the colleges who would be willing to take your daughter in and would accept housework or childminding in return for lodgings?
    Other than that she might have to work for a few years and try save to go back as a mature student
    Not easy obviously atm when there’s so few jobs around in the usual areas where you’d pick up work
    You could also email the colleges and enquire if there are any scholarships available, not really an Irish thing but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 14 luckypenguin

Thank you. interesting answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Off campus accommodation is cheaper , my son as a room in a family run home ,own room, its actually very nice, friendly family, paids €150 a week no bills breakfast and diner made for him for 5 week nights in Dublin, now this wouldn't be the cheapest but its a very modern house, so out of your grant 2 weeks out of 4 would be covered you would need to find €300 month, your student fees should be covered for college.

• Advertisement
Advertisement