Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living apart taxed together

• 16-03-2019 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My wife and i have two homes and I recently moved into the other house ,my wife and children remain in the family home. We have rooms rented in both houses. My questions are , Can we each avail of rent a room relief separately in each home and remain a married couple for tax returns?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

1lostsheep wrote: »
    My wife and i have two homes and I recently moved into the other house ,my wife and children remain in the family home. We have rooms rented in both houses. My questions are , Can we each avail of rent a room relief separately in each home and remain a married couple for tax returns?

No, you can only have one principal private residence, therefore have one rent a room scheme.

No, you can only have one principal private residence, therefore have one rent a room scheme.

It doesn't have to be your PPR in order to avail of rent a room you it just needs to be a place you spend a reasonable amount of time, the definition of reasonable is open for interpretations many would argue staying there one or two nights a week is sufficient.

Also he is claiming rent a room in one house and his wife in another so I while I'm not 100% sure on the ins and outs of this setup I dont see why it shouldn't be possible to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

It's my understanding that a separated couple can no longer avail of joint assessment for tax purposes. I am open to correction on this though. This from the link below:

If they wish to be taxed as a married couple they must both confirm this in writing before the end of the tax year. To be eligible they must both be resident in the State and there must be a legally enforceable agreement for maintenance payments. If they are divorced, they must not have remarried.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/sep_divorce_income_tax.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

It doesn't have to be your PPR in order to avail of rent a room you it just needs to be a place you spend a reasonable amount of time, the definition of reasonable is open for interpretations many would argue staying there one or two nights a week is sufficient.

Also he is claiming rent a room in one house and his wife in another so I while I'm not 100% sure on the ins and outs of this setup I dont see why it shouldn't be possible to do this.

They remain married. A married couple can only have one ...

What type of residence qualifies?

Sole or main residence

Your main residence is your home for most of the year and where friends would expect to find you. You do not have to own the property to claim relief.
    The room or rooms must be in a residential property that is located in Ireland. You must use it as your main residence during the tax year.
    Self-contained unit

The rented room or rooms can be a self-contained unit within the house, such as a basement flat or a converted garage. If this unit is not attached to the property it cannot qualify for the relief.
    Business use or guest accommodation

Your tenants must use the room on a long-term basis. You cannot claim relief on rooms that are used for business purposes.
    Short-term stays provided through bed and breakfasts, a guesthouse or online booking sites do not qualify for relief.

Advertisement