Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New installation tester, any suggestions?

Options
  • 15-03-2019 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Looks like my trusty kewtech is dying on me , time to go shopping for a new one.what are lads using ? Any recommendations greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most of the contractors I have seen use Fluke, they have a very good reputation.
    Insteco are the agents, phone (021) 488 3798.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

IMO the megger machines are much nicer to use and easier to use, ie automatically tests when you apply leads to circuit etc. (for some tests only)

It seems they are getting to be more popular than their rivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

I'm assuming that it ll cost eight or nine hundred euro all in for a decent one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

kramer1 wrote: »
    I'm assuming that it ll cost eight or nine hundred euro all in for a decent one?

I’m using the metrel multi function tester and it’s a great piece of kit

https://www.test-meter.co.uk/metrel-mi3000-easi-plus-multifunction-tester/

meercat wrote: »

Was looking at these , seems interesting . Can you get them calibrated in Ireland? Have you had them long ? How are they holding up? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Was looking at these , seems interesting . Can you get them calibrated in Ireland? Have you had them long ? How are they holding up? Cheers

Have it 3 years
    Calibrated twice here with no issues
    Simple to use and very robust
    Great value

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »

Very competitive pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Megger infinitely better than Fluke IMO. When my 1553 failed I got a 1741.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Megger infinitely better than Fluke IMO. When my 1553 failed I got a 1741.

Meggar make quality kit alright.

I work mainly with the larger RECs in Ireland and abroad, from what I have seen they all use Fluke. I guess that is part of the reason that they are on my radar more than competitors. I also find that they have a high profile at international trade shows. This doesn’t mean they are the best it’s just what I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    Meggar make quality kit alright.

I work mainly with the larger RECs in Ireland and abroad, from what I have seen they all use Fluke. I guess that is part of the reason that they are on my radar more than competitors. I also find that they have a high profile at international trade shows. This doesn’t mean they are the best it’s just what I have seen.

I used a company's Fluke gear doing initial verification in the Channel Islands for 9 months and 16 months for public sector works. The Fluke gear is also very good but my preference is for Megger, and all my gear has always been Megger.

Have two multifunction testers (the 1553 rotary dial has failed after a decade - no longer supported by Megger but might see about getting it fixed by someone else), a PAT tester, checkbox, earth leakage clamp-on ammeter, voltstick (also have a Fluke voltstick). Maybe some other stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Anyone ever used Kewtech?

heffo500 wrote: »
    Anyone ever used Kewtech?
    Yeah , the one I'm replacing is a kewtech , got ten years out of it but the selector wheel is going on it and I'm getting some very weird readings off it. Good meter , easy to use and the new ones look nice and small

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Yeah , the one I'm replacing is a kewtech , got ten years out of it but the selector wheel is going on it and I'm getting some very weird readings off it. Good meter , easy to use and the new ones look nice and small

Would you go with another so?

heffo500 wrote: »
    Would you go with another so?
    Probably not, I'd like something with a two line loop test

Advertisement