Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Heater wiring

Options
  • 14-03-2019 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I’ve wired an immersion switch and a dim light is showing even when the switch is on off. Is there a problem with my wiring?

Pic one shows the wiring (powered off at mains).
    Pic two shows the dim light when switched off.
    Pic three shows the light when switched on.

Wiring is as follows:-

Top row. Common (connected to bottom row Lin), L Out (from Mains) N Out (to Immersion)

Bottom row. L1 (to Immersion) L2 (to Immersion, Lin (connected to common to row, Nin (from Mains)

FYI - I tried a second immersion switch and the same thing happened, so not the switch itself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

L in and N in terminals should be the mains supply. (Live in, Neutral in)

So if you have the Live supply to the L out, but the Neutral supply to the N in, you will get the effect you are seeing, dimly lit neon with switch off, fully lit with it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Bruthal wrote: »
    L in and N in terminals should be the mains supply. (Live in, Neutral in)

So if you have the Live supply to the L out, but the Neutral supply to the N in, you will get the effect you are seeing, dimly lit neon with switch off, fully lit with it on.

Can't turn off the mains for a while, but will give a look shortly. Thanks for now.

I've currently got mains live to L1 and neutral to Nin.

I've got the immersion Live to L Out and immersion neutral N out.
    Mains and immersion earth to the same connection.

As it stands the dim Neon is solved and the immersion works with Sink. When put to bath, it doesn't light up.

Where do I put the 4th black immersion wire going by Pic one above?

The way I had it bath/sink worked, but had the problem the neon dim, so not correct.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Apart from the earths, this is how it should be wired:

Supply (from the immersion circuit fed from the distribution board):

*Phase connect to L in

*Neutral connect to N in

Output:

*Link L out to Common with a brown wire. The neon phase wire should be connected here too.

*Connect the neutral of the immersion to N out this will be a blue wire.

*Connect the immersion “bath” phase wire to the “bath terminal” on the switch. This will be brown or black.

* Connect the immersion “sink” phase wire to the “sink terminal” on the switch. This wire will be brown or black.

The bath immersion element will have a lower resistance than the sink immersion element. So using a multimeter you can work out what colour wire is the bath phase wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I've currently got mains live to L1 and neutral to Nin.

I've got the immersion Live to L Out and immersion neutral N out.
    Mains and immersion earth to the same connection.

As it stands the dim Neon is solved and the immersion works with Sink. When put to bath, it doesn't light up.

Where do I put the 4th black immersion wire going by Pic one above?

The way I had it bath/sink worked, but had the problem the neon dim, so not correct.
    All that had to be done originally was swap the wires in L in and L out around, assuming all was working properly except the neon.

• Advertisement

Thanks Bruthal and 2011 - it'll be Saturday morning before I'm allowed I've time to look at again.

To reciprocate, if there's any accounting/tax/business advice you might require give me a PM. I'm better at that than electric work to the utter shame of my octogenarian electrician dad. :)

Advertisement