Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points for L-plates

Options
  • 14-03-2019 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I got a fine out this morning for driving without L signs which I had up when I got stopped and got two penalty points? I’m just wondering does anyone know if there’s a point in appealing this I would never drive without L plates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hang on,
    You were driving along with L-plates back and front?
    And then a Garda stops you and fines you for not displaying L-plates?

Something doesn't add up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Did you modify the plates in anyway, like cutting the white away?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe the L plates were stuck on the wrong way and looked like a 7.....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

What is a common feature is drivers cutting out the white background and attaching only the red lettering for both L & N plates. Is this what happened OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Billbo2015 wrote: »
    I got a fine out this morning for driving without L signs which I had up when I got stopped and got two penalty points? I’m just wondering does anyone know if there’s a point in appealing this I would never drive without L plates?

You'll have to show us a picture of the L plates as they were on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Waste of time bud ( especially if you were unaccompanied)?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Billbo2015

mikeecho wrote: »
    You'll have to show us a picture of the L plates as they were on the day.

This is the way they have been front and back since I got the car, I got fined unaccompanied I paid already this morning but she added that one herself, she said asked me oh your a learner when I pulled up and looked at L plates and said there will be a fine for unaccompanied out in the post, is there any point of appealing it? And I know she could of done worse for being unaccompanied but I don’t fancy having 2 extra penalty points for having L plates up

Maybe he gave u a ticket for non display of plates, rather than a summons for driving unaccompanied, and seizing the car.
    You got a ticket for a lesser offence, he might have kinda cut you a break. I don't know for sure.

I know that when driving in the US, We got stopped, for speeding, and the cop wrote the speeding ticket for a lower speed than the driver was actually clocked doing, as the lower speed had a lower fee associated.

OP, you'll have to talk to the Garda that issued the ticket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Maybe he gave u a ticket for non display of plates, rather than a summons for driving unaccompanied, and seizing the car.
    You got a ticket for a lesser offence, he might have kinda cut you a break. I don't know for sure.

I know that when driving in the US, We got stopped, for speeding, and the cop wrote the speeding ticket for a lower speed than the driver was actually clocked doing, as the lower speed had a lower fee associated.

I thought there's meant to be no garda desecration permitted for an unaccompanied learner though? They aren't allowed to wave it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

This is the way they have been front and back since I got the car, I got fined unaccompanied I paid already this morning but she added that one herself, she said asked me oh your a learner when I pulled up and looked at L plates and said there will be a fine for unaccompanied out in the post, is there any point of appealing it? And I know she could of done worse for being unaccompanied but I don’t fancy having 2 extra penalty points for having L plates up

I have to say that sticker looks suspiciously...how do I put it.....fresh.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Bilbo said he already paid the fine for driving unaccompanied.

I thought there's meant to be no garda desecration permitted for an unaccompanied learner though? They aren't allowed to wave it on.

Well.. the OP wasn't waved through.. an action was taken.

You know that thought did ...

Thought thought his arse was sticking out of bed so he got out to push it in

Thought thought he only farted, but he s hit the bed

Thought thought etc etc... I was bombarded with these sayings as a child, every time I said.. But I thought.

OSI wrote: »
    That L Plate (fresh or not) is not a legally valid plate.

This I have to hear .. it's gonna be good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

OSI wrote: »
    That L Plate (fresh or not) is not a legally valid plate.

Go on enlighten us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What is a common feature is drivers cutting out the white background and attaching only the red lettering for both L & N plates. Is this what happened OP?

I think most of the young lads cut away all but a 2cm background of white which is all that's required not the white square you typically see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I think most of the young lads cut away all but a 2cm background of white which is all that's required not the white square you typically see.

I have no idea why they do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Learner permit holders for cars must display L-plates to the front and rear of the vehicle they are driving at all times. The plate should be a red ‘L’ on a white background and should not be less than 15cm high with a border of at least 2cm.
    SRC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

troyzer wrote: »

Because L plates are "uncool" and removing the white background makes them less visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Go on enlighten us.

doesn't seem to have 2cm border, not that I've measured it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well.. the OP wasn't waved through.. an action was taken.

You know that thought did ...

Thought thought his arse was sticking out of bed so he got out to push it in

Thought thought he only farted, but he s hit the bed

Thought thought etc etc... I was bombarded with these sayings as a child, every time I said.. But I thought.

No need for the pissy remarks. It was referenced as something that descretion couldn't be applied to when the bill was being proposed. I was wondering if that remained when it was enacted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

And I know she could of done worse for being unaccompanied but I don’t fancy having 2 extra penalty points for having L plates up
    You can only get one set of penalty points in a single incident, AFAIK driving unaccompanied is 2 points and not having plates up is the same, so the most you can get is 2 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

TheChizler wrote: »
    You can only get one set of penalty points in a single incident, AFAIK driving unaccompanied is 2 points and not having plates up is the same, so the most you can get is 2 points.

You are correct I know someone who recently got caught and fined for speeding(3 point) and no N plates(2 points) in the same stop.

They had 3 points applied to their licence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Same reason they lower cars. Some misguided sense of style I guess.

No need for the pissy remarks. It was referenced as something that descretion couldn't be applied to when the bill was being proposed. I was wondering if that remained when it was enacted.

Wasn't intended to be pissy, didn't mean to come across like that.

As for discretion.. it hasn't been abolished as of yet.

The day discretion is gone, we'll all be on here bitching about getting tickets for amber lights, not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, and every other little discretion we do as daily drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

So driving illegally unaccompanied and without correct L plates. How do you think an appeal with work out OP?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    So driving illegally unaccompanied and without correct L plates. How do you think an appeal with work out OP?

A small fine, and the rest taken into consideration.

If you go to a district Court you'll see repeat offenders for no insurance only being fined €500

Courts aren't a deterrent.. and they definitely aren't punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

My guess would be taking away the white bit makes it less noticeable, therefore them feel less inadequate when trying to show off to thier peer group.

In other words showing off to da burds and da buds. :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

When I think of it when I see an L plate with the white bits cut off, I immediately leave more space then 'normal L plates' if the driver is in front of me.
    They have a tendency to be more erratic than the average learner I find.
    It is like an extra warning sign!

The unaccompanied rule was not around when I did my test.
    You could fail it and drive away on your own. Which is mad when I think of it.
    At the same time I think the rule on unaccompanied drivers is a bit harsh on L drivers who have no other way to get around and/or drive locally.

However, my advice to to OP is leave well enough alone, take it on the chin,
    And do not draw any more undue attention on yourself as you were unaccompanied.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

A small fine, and the rest taken into consideration.

If you go to a district Court you'll see repeat offenders for no insurance only being fined €500

Courts aren't a deterrent.. and they definitely aren't punishment

I agree, the Clancy amendment makes more sense - seize the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭CoBo55

When I think of it when I see an L plate with the white bits cut off, I immediately leave more space then 'normal L plates' if the driver is in front of me.
    They have a tendency to be more erratic than the average learner I find.
    It is like an extra warning sign!

The unaccompanied rule was not around when I did my test.
    You could fail it and drive away on your own. Which is mad when I think of it.
    At the same time I think the rule on unaccompanied drivers is a bit harsh on L drivers who have no other way to get around and/or drive locally.

However, my advice to to OP is leave well enough alone, take it on the chin,
    And do not draw any more undue attention on yourself as you were unaccompanied.

The unaccompanied rule has always been around, but, like many motoring laws in Ireland it was ignored until some poor fcukers family was wiped out by a young one driving like the clappers.

Advertisement