Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat timing belt interval 2L TDI

Options
  • 02-03-2019 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi
    I have the above car and want to know what timing belt change interval is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

Harry321 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have the above car and want to know what timing belt change interval is?
    Do what ever you like, but do not ever trust the 210 000km changing intervals. The most timing belt manufacturers what I know suggest around 100 000km if you do not drive hard or tow the trailer. Hard driving reduce it to 60 000km. Remember there are the ageing factor too!!! It is around 4 years on most cases. Do not forget to replace the tension roller, idle roller and the water pump too (if your car timing belt drives it, I do not know your car engine). If you do not replace these, you do not get the trouble fee next 100 000km. It is 1 job and should done on the same time. Yes you can cut the corners but within next 100 000km you may get 3 timing belt replacement thanks for the money saving. The bigger engines can have a more than 1 idle roller.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Official VW figures are 210k km and no Time limit.

Unofficially a notice went up in our workshop that if asked the time scale is 4/5 years so I'd go with that.

Driving style has no effect on belt life.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

Official VW figures are 210k km and no Time limit.

Unofficially a notice went up in our workshop that if asked the time scale is 4/5 years so I'd go with that.

Driving style has no effect on belt life.
    They always change the numbers after the load of complains. The sales team likes to show the fancy slogans to improve the sale. This is the big reason why people could buy the specific car. Most of the timing belt manufacturers have a 2 numbers on the mileage, one for normal condition and second one for hard condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What year is your car OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There were a number of different type of 2.0 TDi engines fitted to the Passat over it's entire life with different timing belt intervals so until the OP discloses that information it's pointless guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

colm_mcm wrote: »

What is recommended for a 2014 2L Passat?

tanko wrote: »
    What is recommended for a 2014 2L Passat?
    It should be already done

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

w211 wrote: »
    It should be already done

What is the recomemded time/mileage interval tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

tanko wrote: »
    What is the recomemded time/mileage interval tho?

VW recommends 210k kms, no age limit for a 2014 2.0 TDI.

I've never seen one break a belt prematurely. The reason some dealers changed back to 5 year intervals is because they weren't selling enough belt jobs not because they were seeing failures.

VW recommends 210k kms, no age limit for a 2014 2.0 TDI.

I've never seen one break a belt prematurely. The reason some dealers changed back to 5 year intervals is because they weren't selling enough belt jobs not because they were seeing failures.
    I am sure they have something else to do than conspiracy. Please show to me any time belt manufacturer who promises 210k and life time. I mean any manufacturer who are older than 10 years. The new companies, yee they promises what ever because they need the market by any cost. Even 60k belt can last 3 cycles but can snap a any minute. I really do not understand why so many are against the maintenance and especially preventive maintenance. What is wrong with you (almost) all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I am sure they have something else to do than conspiracy. Please show to me any time belt manufacturer who promises 210k and life time. I mean any manufacturer who are older than 10 years. The new companies, yee they promises what ever because they need the market by any cost. Even 60k belt can last 3 cycles but can snap a any minute. I really do not understand why so many are against the maintenance and especially preventive maintenance. What is wrong with you (almost) all?

Because it costs money and resources. Plus generates rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'm not against maintenance at all.

What I would be against, is the OP wasting €3-400 on something that doesn't need to be replaced.

The belt manufacturers for these, Gates, Continental and Dayco aren't exactly fly by night operators. Why don't you provide some concrete evidence where these manufacturers disagree with Volkswagen's recommendation in this application?

Instead of me having to show you where they agree with Volkswagen as some form of arguement, why don't you show me where they don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Harry321

colm_mcm wrote: »

2008, I have since found out that belt was done at 90000 miles , current odometer is 130000 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Its 210,000km for my car also. Personally id get it done before that around 180,000km mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Harry321 wrote: »
    2008, I have since found out that belt was done at 90000 miles , current odometer is 130000 miles

How long ago was it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I had a 2013 2.0 Passat. I changed the belt at 160km ( 3.5 years). The belt looked perfect but there were signs the water pump was begining to leak/weep, they’re the weakness. You’ll be lucky to get a pump last 210km.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

the water pumps seem to fail fairly regularly below the belt interval only thing is Ive never had one that hasn't provided enough warning by leaking significant coolant before failing entirely. The older 1.6 hdi is the only belt ive never experienced a premature failure of any component on thee belt set-up and they where 10 years or 200k

Advertisement