Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gold Cup 2019

• 27-02-2019 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

whats everyones fancy?
    Am on Bellshill e/w @ 20/1
    Not a great record around cheltenham but looks a better stronger horse this year.
    2 of his last 3 wins in grade1's, top stable,168 rated,hoping he goes close

hard to know if Presenting Pimpernel a worthy fav!
    Good luck with your selections..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

With you on Bellshill

All the noise is Ruby will pick him over Kemboy

Have percy in a few accas but i have Bellshill backed fairly large at this stage
    Started in Jan and been backing him every so often since down the prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Percy wins in my opinion, I’ll be backing Shattered Love each way, maybe a small bet on road to respect purely because I had him last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

thistlecrack each way

might do might bite ew on the off chance nicky can switch up the chemicals and get him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Myte byte for me at the prices .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

The Storyteller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Clan Des... :D Will be having an each way on Road to Respect, fancied him for the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Will back frodon if it runs, hope it does. Expect Percy to drift a fair bit and might easily end up investing on the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think it is shaping up to be one of the most competitive races of the festival. Which can only be a good thing. I honestly feel that any of the top 10 in the betting are potential winners.

For me the current best value is Elegant Escape at 25's in places. He won the Welsh National of 11st8, which is above average to be fair. He stays and stays which the winner will need to. My only concern would be if they crawled early and it turned into a quick finish, it would go against him. He is just an all day plodder for me, but that works if he can keep up with a good strong early gallop.

I have mentioned in earlier posts that I think Presenting Percy's price is ludicrous. It still is, even if he wins by 10 lengths. That will be all.

https://www.oddschecker.com/cheltenham-festival/cheltenham-gold-cup/winner

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think it is shaping up to be one of the most competitive races of the festival. Which can only be a good thing. I honestly feel that any of the top 10 in the betting are potential winners.

For me the current best value is Elegant Escape at 25's in places. He won the Welsh National of 11st8, which is above average to be fair. He stays and stays which the winner will need to. My only concern would be if they crawled early and it turned into a quick finish, it would go against him. He is just an all day plodder for me, but that works if he can keep up with a good strong early gallop.

I have mentioned in earlier posts that I think Presenting Percy's price is ludicrous. It still is, even if he wins by 10 lengths. That will be all.

https://www.oddschecker.com/cheltenham-festival/cheltenham-gold-cup/winner

That just makes NO sense :rolleyes:

That just makes NO sense :rolleyes:

What I am saying here is that he can win the gold cup all he wants at his current price and I won't be backing him, even if he turns out to be the best horse in the race. I have said before his preparation does not fit an adequate profile for a bet which I would like to make. There will be better 7/2 shots next week to have my money on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Road to respect, a value bet at 20/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Elegant escape to place. Straight forecast with Percy. Easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Anibale Fly to outstay them all up the hill. He'll need it soft though. GL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Anibale Fly to outstay them all up the hill. He'll need it soft though. GL

Apparently rain is forecast for the week, if there’s rain then it’ll soften it up for him. I wouldn’t be too worried about the ground though, he was ridden for a place last year and I think if they ran the race again they’d fancy their chances. I think he has a great shout in a poor enough race to be quite honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Percy beat Elegant Escape by 14 lengths in the RSA so it would be some turnaround for him to place and Percy not win...

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Percy beat Elegant Escape by 14 lengths in the RSA so it would be some turnaround for him to place and Percy not win...

Percy win/EE 2nd was what I meant!

2ndcoming wrote: »

I agwee. But do remember that last years RSA was run on heavy ground. This may not have suited all the horses in the race.

Elegant Escape has gone on to run 5 times since then, winning over £ 180k in the process. He was placed in a Hennessy and won a Welsh national. He is available at 25/1.

Percy has since run 1 hurdle race, beating in fairness some decent types by a few lengths. He has not jumped a fence in anger in over a year. He will need to meet the hype, especially at 7/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

When PP was 6/1 or 7/1 during the off season he was the one for me, but I never backed him. But I obviously thought at the time he'd had a few fences jumped by GC time!! But he's not a3/1 or 7/2 shot. (Though I do have him in one treble)

The drift is already happening, helped by CDO recent wins. And he could well drift further. 5s or big come the day isn't impossible, bookies will be out to get him.

The Elegant Escape talk is madness!!!
    There isn't a hope in hell that handicapper wins the GC beating Percy or Clan in the process
    Ye mad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Was at a preview night last night with Davy Russell on the panel.

I thought he would be a lot sweeter on PP when it came around to talking about the GC. He said it would be a huge accomplishment if he could make the step up but thinks he has the potential to do it.

Andy McNamara was talking up Native River. Says the horse is too stupid to realise when it's out of gas and you need a bit of that when going at GC pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

Felexicon wrote: »
    Was at a preview night last night with Davy Russell on the panel.

I thought he would be a lot sweeter on PP when it came around to talking about the GC. He said it would be a huge accomplishment if he could make the step up but thinks he has the potential to do it.

Andy McNamara was talking up Native River. Says the horse is too stupid to realise when it's out of gas and you need a bit of that when going at GC pace.

Was at the same one. Was an enjoyable evening. Always enjoy Dunphy even if he knew nothing :)

Percy jumping fences around ballybrit

Must be some horse to be doing that at 8.30 in the evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

No need to worry anymore, himself and mall dini I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Motivator wrote: »
    Apparently rain is forecast for the week, if there’s rain then it’ll soften it up for him. I wouldn’t be too worried about the ground though, he was ridden for a place last year and I think if they ran the race again they’d fancy their chances. I think he has a great shout in a poor enough race to be quite honest.

Anibale Fly for me too. Stayed on well up hill last year and while about 8L behind, the front 2 were just brilliant that day. MB doesn't look same horse this year. Really liked AF recent run against monalee. Thought he might just pop around to finish 4th of 4, but ran a serious race and impressed he finished that close over the shorter trip. NR will run his usual good race but at the prices AF the one for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Agree but would rate his chance much higher with soft going. Was on him for the GN last year. The poor horse must have covered over 5 miles. Geraghty riding with more confidence this year i think. GL

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Agree but would rate his chance much higher with soft going. Was on him for the GN last year. The poor horse must have covered over 5 miles. Geraghty riding with more confidence this year i think. GL

I think he’ll be ridden with more confidence this time around. I do think Barry gave him a good ride last year, he probably thought the front two would come back to the field once they started up the hill. If he had been a bit closer turning in who knows what would have happened - he hammered home up the hill. He’s a knocking bet ew. Native River not guaranteed to turn up in the same form and I think he’d outbattle anything bar Native River.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

GO On The Percy

GO On The Percy

If there’s one thing he’s guaranteed in the Gold Cup it’s a battle and the only time he’s had one of those over fences was in Gowran against Our Duke and he got outbattled. There’s hardier horses than him in the Gold Cup and I don’t think many people have even thought about this. Don’t even get me started on the preparation - the horse won’t know what’s hit him in the Gold Cup.

Pat Kelly is obviously a serious man but I think he’s made some balls of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

If there’s one thing he’s guaranteed in the Gold Cup it’s a battle and the only time he’s had one of those over fences was in Gowran against Our Duke and he got outbattled. There’s hardier horses than him in the Gold Cup and I don’t think many people have even thought about this. Don’t even get me started on the preparation - the horse won’t know what’s hit him in the Gold Cup.

Who do you see battling with him if they turn for home ?

It’s a strange one and in all honesty I think he got the wrapped in cotton wool treatment way too early on without being battle hardened but part of me would love it if he won.would be great to see a local horse win it and there’s a good few bets on him in his locality

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gillamandango

There was a fair few bets locally on Tin Soldier (all of Athenry was the story) and look how that turned out. There could be a fair whack of money done on the Reynolds horses this year if Percy doesn't come in..It will be a long few days yet until he's on the boat so fingers crossed.
    It’s a strange one and in all honesty I think he got the wrapped in cotton wool treatment way too early on without being battle hardened but part of me would love it if he won.would be great to see a local horse win it and there’s a good few bets on him in his locality

Must be some horse to be doing that at 8.30 in the evening!

Get today’s Sunday independent page 12 sports section.percy was jumping in ballybrit and the staff had the jumps turned so he got a left hander training session in.

Noel Meade just on RTV talking to KOR likes Bellshill for the GC

• Advertisement

Course he does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Thistlecrack is fairly flying under the Radar here. Was 12 lengths ahead of Native River in the King George. May have lacked the bit of pace over 3 Miles, There's been nothing between Native River, Thistlecrack and Clan Des Obeaux in the two meetings this season. The extra 2F and the hill could swing it for Thistlecrack.

Clan Des Obeaux has no course form to suggest a Gold Cup winner.

Thistlecrack EW at 16s is a very smart bet.

I'm going three hadned for the Gold cup this year. I also have Bellshill and Shattered love done. Percy is far to short to have anything on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bellshill at 14/1 is about the best value I can see at the present moment. Frankly I am amazed that Presenting Percy is favourite for this race, with that said, I would be happy enough for the people involved if he did it.

Wtf, rtr would have beat Bellshill handy if his jumping was better, if meade thinks Bellshill wins the gc why isn't rtr running in it as well, makes no sense, only the muppet brothers want to win there own race.
    Shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

I've backed elegant escape. There was plenty not to like with his run at the Cheltenham trial day. His jumping was patchy at times and of course frodon beat him. But what I did like about him was that he kept on up the hill and if there was another furlong he would have won.

I reckon he'll come on heaps for that run and with question marks over all the market principles, I'm happy enough to be compensated by his price.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Thistlecrack is fairly flying under the Radar here. Was 12 lengths ahead of Native River in the King George. May have lacked the bit of pace over 3 Miles, There's been nothing between Native River, Thistlecrack and Clan Des Obeaux in the two meetings this season. The extra 2F and the hill could swing it for Thistlecrack.

Clan Des Obeaux has no course form to suggest a Gold Cup winner.

Thistlecrack EW at 16s is a very smart bet.

I'm going three hadned for the Gold cup this year. I also have Bellshill and Shattered love done. Percy is far to short to have anything on him.

Have Thistlecrack and Bellshill backed since January EW
    Been lumping on Bellshill every week since

Wtf, rtr would have beat Bellshill handy if his jumping was better, if meade thinks Bellshill wins the gc why isn't rtr running in it as well, makes no sense, only the muppet brothers want to win there own race.
    Shocking.

Go have a word with yourself....

JUMPING is what wins a GC, now....re read what you said...........

Jesus Wept

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

Apologies if this is not allowed here. I had planned to travel over for gold cup day but can no longer do so. I'm willing to let my club ticket go for €60 delivered if anyone is in need of a ticket? Don't want to see it go to waste.

Go have a word with yourself....

JUMPING is what wins a GC, now....re read what you said...........

Jesus Wept

My point being Roger that he usually jumps well and if he jumps well in Cheltenham could win.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

Poorest renewal of the Gold Cup quality wise in living memory in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭jkbkhhho7t

dk6dk6 wrote: »

Haven't been watching racing for long then

dk6dk6 wrote: »

True but it’s one of the races I’m looking forward to all week. Whatever happens there will be a nice story out of it. Willie could finally win it, Presenting Percy can’t win it but if he does then it’ll be some story and Native River could do the double.

It could turn out to be one of the best races of the week and that’s all anyone wants. I know it’s the Gold Cup and it should be the best of the best lining up but I’m looking forward to seeing an exciting race develop.

jkbkhhho7t wrote: »
    Haven't been watching racing for long then

Really?? I see people not entitled to an opinion on here anymore when there so many clowns around. It’s a terrible gold cup this year quality wise hence the favourite hasn’t even ran over fences this season.

True but it’s one of the races I’m looking forward to all week. Whatever happens there will be a nice story out of it. Willie could finally win it, Presenting Percy can’t win it but if he does then it’ll be some story and Native River could do the double.

It could turn out to be one of the best races of the week and that’s all anyone wants. I know it’s the Gold Cup and it should be the best of the best lining up but I’m looking forward to seeing an exciting race develop.

I agree it is one of the most interesting races of the week and it’s very hard to pick a winner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement