Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner binoculars

• 26-02-2019 11:47am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So after a recent trip to Bull Island my little boy has decided he wants a pair of binoculars for bird watching. He is very into animals and birds and has been since before he was a walking.
    Can anyone suggest a beginner set for his 5th birthday?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    So after a recent trip to Bull Island my little boy has decided he wants a pair of binoculars for bird watching. He is very into animals and birds and has been since before he was a walking.
    Can anyone suggest a beginner set for his 5th birthday?

I'd recommend these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00006FDUG/ref=psdc_1083928_t1_B0000C7AHI

They are small, light and the optics are good. I have a slightly superior version of these (Olympus 8x25 PCI that I cant seem to find online) that are truly excellent for the price. These one linked should be somewhat similar and will do the job well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I'd recommend these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00006FDUG/ref=psdc_1083928_t1_B0000C7AHI

They are small, light and the optics are good. I have a slightly superior version of these (Olympus 8x25 PCI that I cant seem to find online) that are truly excellent for the price. These one linked should be somewhat similar and will do the job well.

Those would be excellent for a small child starting off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

and ordered :)
    Cheers lads. Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Wonderful to see a young child express such an interest in the Natural World. As a father to be, I'll be trying to instil this is my own child in a few years time.

Let us know what himself thinks of the binoculars and best of luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He has loved animals since day 1. His favourite place to go is (and has always been) the zoo. Every birthday and Xmas since he could talk he has asked for schleich animals. We have feckin hundreds of euros worth at this stage (no exageration).

https://www.schleich-s.com/en/GB/wild-life/products/watering-hole-42258.html

We went down to bull island a few weeks ago for an otter presentation and walk and he was the last one standing asking about Brent geese and waders and ducks and whatever else. I wasn't much help unfortunately but he is getting a book on Irish birds for his birthday and now the binoculars so we can learn it together.

I am trying to 'instil' football into him with far less success.

Best of luck with the baby. It is the biggest life changer you will ever have. All of it good:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement