Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grand National 2019 Aintree

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Ballyoptic another I think could go well at the trip probably needs it soft but 50s looks big has contested decent races

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Don poli anyone? Had a spin in the becher last year and surely the national is the trip for him too slow to go any other pace especially if the rain comes it'll bring them back to him always thought he looked a national horse 80/1 on 365 seems worth a punt

Fancied him for it for years. Slow as a boat and just stays.
    Don't know what to make of any of his runs this year though.
    Could be just getting slowly tuned up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

The Thursday of the Aintree meeting is the best days racing of the year for me.

More grade 1's than any other meeting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Don poli anyone? Had a spin in the becher last year and surely the national is the trip for him too slow to go any other pace especially if the rain comes it'll bring them back to him always thought he looked a national horse 80/1 on 365 seems worth a punt

My only concern would be that he is French bred. Generally when they spit the dummy they're gone. Although he did win 2 races last year, they could well be going handy on him.

Before Mon Mome a French bred hadn't even won the race in a 100 years. But I think this stat is slowly changing, there have been a couple of French bred winners since. Also if you look at the Cheltenham stats for the last few years they are getting much more winners.

The general rule with French breds is that they actually start them much earlier. Nickname the sire of Frodon and other good ones was trained by Martin Brassil in Ireland, a lovely 2 mile chaser. He was jumping fences in France as a 3 year old. They start earlier over there. Most NH bred horses in Ireland don't start till they are 4/5. The generally theory is that you can only get so many seasons out of them. If they are training as 3 year olds they get cute enough by the time they are 8 or 9 years of age, particularly over longer distances. They basically become more difficult to train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    My only concern would be that he is French bred. Generally when they spit the dummy they're gone. Although he did win 2 races last year, they could well be going handy on him.

Before Mon Mome a French bred hadn't even won the race in a 100 years. But I think this stat is slowly changing, there have been a couple of French bred winners since. Also if you look at the Cheltenham stats for the last few years they are getting much more winners.

The general rule with French breds is that they actually start them much earlier. Nickname the sire of Frodon and other good ones was trained by Martin Brassil in Ireland, a lovely 2 mile chaser. He was jumping fences in France as a 3 year old. They start earlier over there. Most NH bred horses in Ireland don't start till they are 4/5. The generally theory is that you can only get so many seasons out of them. If they are training as 3 year olds they get cute enough by the time they are 8 or 9 years of age, particularly over longer distances. They basically become more difficult to train.

Did he? PtP or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Earendil wrote: »
    Did he? PtP or something?

Do you know I was reading the wrong form. I was reading A TOI PHIL, which is a French bred. Don Poli is actually bred in Ireland, apologies, my bad. He actually hasn't scored since the Lexus ( 2015 )a few years ago.

That being the case and looking at his recent form no thanks. He only ran the other day and got stuffed there. He might not even run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Do you know I was reading the wrong form. I was reading A TOI PHIL, which is a French bred. Don Poli is actually bred in Ireland, apologies, my bad. He actually hasn't scored since the Lexus ( 2015 )a few years ago.

That being the case and looking at his recent form no thanks. He only ran the other day and got stuffed there. He might not even run.

Was just about to lay in and destroy u !!! :cool:

Didn't the Polinator bomb in the National last year????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Ballyoptic another I think could go well at the trip probably needs it soft but 50s looks big has contested decent races

Wouldn't get around. Doesn't jump near well enough.

Before Mon Mome a French bred hadn't even won the race in a 100 years

Probably why he was sent off 100/1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Altior going to Aintree for 2 and a half miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Buveur d’air, Santini and Pentland Hills all likely to going to Liverpool according to Hendo.

Cannae wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't get around. Doesn't jump near well enough.

I agree but worth a go the way he stayed like a train in the Scottish Nash. Also seems to run better in spring having won at Aintree before in a novice hurdle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Buveur d’air, Santini and Pentland Hills all likely to going to Liverpool according to Hendo.

Cannae wait

I love both Santini and la bague au roi I hope the don’t clash

Santini will be done for a bit of toe around there I’d imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Got good word that monbeg notorious is as fancied for the national as tiger roll. Bit of 66's and 50's to be gotten so a couple of yo-yo's EW wouldn't do any harm.
    I know it's the grand national but Elliots workers are very confident of at least a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

idnkph wrote: »
    Got good word that monbeg notorious is as fancied for the national as tiger roll. Bit of 66's and 50's to be gotten so a couple of yo-yo's EW wouldn't do any harm.
    I know it's the grand national but Elliots workers are very confident of at least a place.

He's got a very interesting profile for the race though as an 8 year old this might be a year too soon. Lately he's received reminders in each of his last two races which wouldn't encourage me. In his last 3 runs he's gotten better which is a good sign. He has a tendency to jump right which is another negative.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him go well but I'd probably wait until next year to back him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Rathvinden wins the National. Tmypotmygb

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Given its now NRNB my darts for the lottery of the GN are

Ms Parfois 25/1 - very close finish with rathvinden in 4 miler chelt last year. Ran great race recently at uttoxeter. 25/1 vs rathvinden's 10/1 .

Ramses de taillee - 33/1
    Monbeg notorious 80-1 - based on idnkph's post.
    All ew , tho just 5 places b365.

Having said that, would love to see Tiger Roll win it again!

Don Poli being sold at the Aintree sales before the race. Doesn't tell me there's any confidence behind him. He's obviously more likely not to win the race or finish in big money so maybe its' just a logical way for them to get rid of the horses. Outlander is for sale too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Love tiger roll
    Love to see it hack up
    Can't have it at 3/1 tho....
    Madness for a GN

Mall Dini
    Rathvinden
    Yala Enki ew @50/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If don poli started now he still wouldn’t win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Love tiger roll
    Love to see it hack up
    Can't have it at 3/1 tho....
    Madness for a GN

Mall Dini
    Rathvinden
    Yala Enki ew @50/1

Yala Enki interests me as well for some reason. Just think he’s like a horse that mightn’t be too far outside the frame if he gets around cleanly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Wait until the bet365 offer before doing any bets. That's my tip for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ballyhagan

Slattsy wrote: »

What will this offer be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

ballyhagan wrote: »
    What will this offer be?

The best offer ever. That's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

You do ew bets and they give you half the ew stake back immediately and it goes up to 100 pound plus.

I tend to back a few with 365 before hand and cash out any bets i have with them and reback with the offer depending on the updated odds from my bets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Slattsy wrote: »

Yep its the best offer of the year. Even in the worst year, ya can get some donkey to place at a huge price and get it all back.

That said i may be using nearly all of it this year on one horse ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Can we rename the thread Grand national meeting 2019?

Cyrname going up against Altior over 2m4f. Altior at 10/11..

Mad how Cyrname is rated 3lbs higher than Altior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Im fascinated by this cos cyrname trounced politolo compared to Altior winning margin over politolo. Nothing beats Altior tho

By all means I think you should take advantage of the best betting opportunities you have available, but this is still a race and worth discussing the relative merits of each horse whether there money back offers or extra places etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

if altior hits evens its a mortgage job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

akelly02 wrote: »

Not given what a tough race he had in Cheltenham, up against his strongest opponent of the year, over a new distance too many variables there. it may not be next week but the winning streak will end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

akelly02 wrote: »

I was thinking that at first but, he is up against a flat track bully who didnt race at cheltenham.

If he hits a flat spot here cyrname could be a fair way clear.

My actual gut is to back cyrname antepost, just on the proviso that its not out of the question that Altior doesnt run at all and even if he does 4/1 isnt bad at all.

All that said if this comes of it could be some spectacle with both jumping well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Worth creating an Aintree meeting separately? Grand National meeting probably deserves it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭del roy

Worth creating an Aintree meeting separately? Grand National meeting probably deserves it's own.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057967792

:cool:

5.15pm – Randox Health Grand National Chase (Handicap) (Grade 3) Cl1 4m3f110y ITV

2018 Winner: TIGER ROLL (10/1 odds)
    Trainer: Gordon Elliott
    Jockey: Davy Russell

Aintree Grand National Trends (Last 28 Runnings)
    · 27/28 – Ran no more than 55 days ago
    · 27/28 – Officially rated 137 or higher
    · 26/28 – Had won over at least 3m (chase) before
    · 25/28 – Had won no more than 6 times over fences before
    · 23/28 – Aged 9 or older
    · 23/28 – Returned a double-figure price
    · 22/28 – Ran no more than 34 days ago
    · 21/28 – Came from outside the top 3 in the betting
    · 22/28 – Carried 10-13 OR LESS
    · 19/28 – Had won between 4-6 times over fences before
    · 16/28 – Carried 10-8 OR LESS
    · 17/28 – Finished in the top 4 last time out
    · 17/28 – Aged 10 years-old or younger
    · 15/28 – Placed favourites
    · 14/28 – Aged 9 or 10 years-old
    · 15/28 – Won by an Irish-bred horse
    · 10/28 – Ran at Cheltenham last time out
    · 9/28 – Trained in Ireland (inc 6 of the last 13 years)
    · 6/28 – Ran in a previous Grand National
    · 5/28 – Won by the favourite or joint favourite
    · 6/28 – Won last time out
    · 2/28 – Trained by Nigel Twiston-Davies
    · 2/28 – Ridden by Ruby Walsh
    2/28 – Ridden by Leighton Aspell
    · 0/28 – Won by a horse aged 7 years-old OR LESS

Aintree Grand National Facts

Since 1978, 124 horses have tried to win with more than 11-5 – with just two winners – Many Clouds (11-9) in 2015 & Neptune Collonges (11-6) in 2012
    10 of the last 11 winners were having their first start in the race
    15 of the last 20 winners were bred in Ireland
    Only 2 horse that won at the Cheltenham Festival that same season has won since 1961
    The last 7 year-old or younger to win was back in 1940
    12 of the last 22 winners had won or been placed in a National-type race before
    No horse aged 13 or older has won since 1923 or placed since 1969
    3 of the last 10 winners ran in the Scottish National the previous season
    9 of the last 16 winners had run over hurdles at some stage earlier in the season
    5 of the last 17 winners had been unplaced in the National last year
    Only four 8 year-olds have won the last 25 renewals
    Just one past winner or placed horse from the previous year’s race has won for 34 years (76 have attempted)
    20 of the last 22 winners had fallen or unseated no more than twice in their careers
    The last horse to win back-to-back Nationals was Red Rum in 1974

Aintree Grand National Betting Trends (16 Year)

15/16 – Had won over at least 3m previously
    14/16 – Ran less than 50 days ago
    14/16 – Officially rated 137 or higher
    13/16 – Won by a horse aged 9 or older
    9/16 – Won by horses aged in double-figures
    9/16 – Winners from the top 8 in the betting
    9/16 – Finished in the top 3 last time out
    7/16 – Experienced the National fences
    6/16 – Carried 11-0 or more in weight
    6/16 – Won by an Irish-trained horse
    5/16 – Won by a horse aged 10 years-old
    4/16 – Won their last race
    3/16 – Winning favourites (2 joint)
    2/16 – Won by the McCain yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Are you a fan of trends Del? Any picks using the higher trends for the GN?

Never use them, one on the kids paid sites I have the password for. I'm lazy I need someone to go thru it all and tell me which one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I clearly haven't been paying attention these last 11 years, as I wouldn't have dreamt this was the case!:

I clearly haven't been paying attention these last 11 years, as I wouldn't have dreamt this was the case!:

does not sound right to me either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

del roy wrote: »

does not sound right to me either.

Well i know what 1 is anyway as i backed it its first year and had no bet the year after to watch it win at 100/1 :(

Mon Mome

2009 maybe thats the only one.

Nulty wrote: »
    Others I've backed which I'll talk about more later:

Vintage Clouds @ 33s & 25s
    Pairofbrowneyes @ 33s & 40s
    A Toi Phil @ 100/1
    Yala Enki @ 66/1

Vintage Clouds is a peculiar horse in that it's hard to have confidence that he'll actually win a race. He's won two over fences from 16 starts. The latest came at the start of the season which was when I got the confidence in the horse to decide to back him for this.

He's placed in both a Welsh (4th 2017/18) and Scottish national (3rd 2018), goes on any ground, he's maturing now and the right age for a Grand National. Sue Smith trained the winner a few years ago in Auroras Encore. For each way terms he's very reliable having placed in 11 of 16 chases, just pulled up and fell once each. You don't really want a horse who falls going into the National but his falls came as a novice over two years ago so I'm not worried about his jumping particularly, but there's always a chance. He's highly likely to get the trip and may even excel over it.

He's also 5lbs well in according to his new rating after his second in the Ultima. I wouldn't put anyone off backing him at his current price despite the concern about his ability to finish of races strongly, I'm hoping the longer distance of the National and the softer ground from Ayr will see him in ideal conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

Nulty wrote: »
    Vintage Clouds is a peculiar horse in that it's hard to have confidence that he'll actually win a race. He's won two over fences from 16 starts. The latest came at the start of the season which was when I got the confidence in the horse to decide to back him for this.

He's placed in both a Welsh (4th 2017/18) and Scottish national (3rd 2018), goes on any ground, he's maturing now and the right age for a Grand National. Sue Smith trained the winner a few years ago in Auroras Encore. For each way terms he's very reliable having placed in 11 of 16 chases, just pulled up and fell once each. You don't really want a horse who falls going into the National but his falls came as a novice over two years ago so I'm not worried about his jumping particularly, but there's always a chance. He's highly likely to get the trip and may even excel over it.

He's also 5lbs well in according to his new rating after his second in the Ultima. I wouldn't put anyone off backing him at his current price despite the concern about his ability to finish of races strongly, I'm hoping the longer distance of the National and the softer ground from Ayr will see him in ideal conditions.

I think this is a good shout.

5.15pm – Randox Health Grand National Chase (Handicap) (Grade 3) Cl1 4m3f110y ITV

2018 Winner: TIGER ROLL (10/1 odds)
    Trainer: Gordon Elliott
    Jockey: Davy Russell

Aintree Grand National Trends (Last 28 Runnings)
    · 27/28 – Ran no more than 55 days ago
    · 27/28 – Officially rated 137 or higher
    · 26/28 – Had won over at least 3m (chase) before
    · 25/28 – Had won no more than 6 times over fences before
    · 23/28 – Aged 9 or older
    · 23/28 – Returned a double-figure price
    · 22/28 – Ran no more than 34 days ago
    · 21/28 – Came from outside the top 3 in the betting
    · 22/28 – Carried 10-13 OR LESS
    · 19/28 – Had won between 4-6 times over fences before
    · 16/28 – Carried 10-8 OR LESS
    · 17/28 – Finished in the top 4 last time out
    · 17/28 – Aged 10 years-old or younger
    · 15/28 – Placed favourites
    · 14/28 – Aged 9 or 10 years-old
    · 15/28 – Won by an Irish-bred horse
    · 10/28 – Ran at Cheltenham last time out
    · 9/28 – Trained in Ireland (inc 6 of the last 13 years)
    · 6/28 – Ran in a previous Grand National
    · 5/28 – Won by the favourite or joint favourite
    · 6/28 – Won last time out
    · 2/28 – Trained by Nigel Twiston-Davies
    · 2/28 – Ridden by Ruby Walsh
    2/28 – Ridden by Leighton Aspell
    · 0/28 – Won by a horse aged 7 years-old OR LESS

Aintree Grand National Facts

Since 1978, 124 horses have tried to win with more than 11-5 – with just two winners – Many Clouds (11-9) in 2015 & Neptune Collonges (11-6) in 2012
    15 of the last 20 winners were bred in Ireland
    Only 2 horse that won at the Cheltenham Festival that same season has won since 1961
    The last 7 year-old or younger to win was back in 1940
    12 of the last 22 winners had won or been placed in a National-type race before
    No horse aged 13 or older has won since 1923 or placed since 1969
    3 of the last 10 winners ran in the Scottish National the previous season
    9 of the last 16 winners had run over hurdles at some stage earlier in the season
    5 of the last 17 winners had been unplaced in the National last year
    Only four 8 year-olds have won the last 25 renewals
    Just one past winner or placed horse from the previous year’s race has won for 34 years (76 have attempted)
    20 of the last 22 winners had fallen or unseated no more than twice in their careers
    The last horse to win back-to-back Nationals was Red Rum in 1974

Aintree Grand National Betting Trends (16 Year)

15/16 – Had won over at least 3m previously
    14/16 – Ran less than 50 days ago
    14/16 – Officially rated 137 or higher
    13/16 – Won by a horse aged 9 or older
    9/16 – Won by horses aged in double-figures
    9/16 – Winners from the top 8 in the betting
    9/16 – Finished in the top 3 last time out
    7/16 – Experienced the National fences
    6/16 – Carried 11-0 or more in weight
    6/16 – Won by an Irish-trained horse
    5/16 – Won by a horse aged 10 years-old
    4/16 – Won their last race
    3/16 – Winning favourites (2 joint)
    2/16 – Won by the McCain yard

Couple of contradictory stats in there and at least one just plain wrong. Don't know where you sourced them, but they're unreliable.

Contradictory I can't help with as stats and trends tend to be gathered that way but which one is wrong I will get back to you with it.

• Advertisement

Contradictory I can't help with as stats and trends tend to be gathered that way but which one is wrong I will get back to you with it.

No horse aged 13 or older has won since 1923 or placed since 1969.

No need to get back to me.
    Vics Canvas was 3rd in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

Errah, some of those are meaningless or near to it. How many bleedin' horses younger than 7 run in the National? And how many older than 13?!

2/28 were trained by McCain and 2/28 by Twiston Davies.......... So???????

Now, I'm not knocking trends, but those need a bit of editing to be fair.

Lads
    I can only bang them up here, upto you what you do with them or how you feel they help you.

Only 4/25 8yos have won.
    I'd argue that's a positive although it's written like it's the opposite.
    If you tally up how many 8yo's have run against the other winning age groups in that time (9, 10, 11, 12), I'd say it's a fairly impressive strike rate.
    Also the fact that 3 of them came in the last 4 years suggests it's anything but a negative.

Generally these statistics are written based on the writer's opinion, e.g. 4/10 ran in a handicap last time out as if it's a good thing. However that means that 6/10 didn't!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Only 4/25 8yos have won.
    I'd argue that's a positive although it's written like it's the opposite.
    If you tally up how many 8yo's have run against the other winning age groups in that time (9, 10, 11, 12), I'd say it's a fairly impressive strike rate.
    Also the fact that 3 of them came in the last 4 years suggests it's anything but a negative.

Generally these statistics are written based on the writer's opinion, e.g. 4/10 ran in a handicap last time out as if it's a good thing. However that means that 6/10 didn't!

True but a
    lot of the race conditions have changed over the last 8/9 years so you have to take that on board

• Advertisement
Advertisement