Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand National 2019 Aintree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

What's likely to be top weight here?
    Are Bristol De Mai & Anibale Fly intended runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

yaboya1 wrote: »
    What's likely to be top weight here?
    Are Bristol De Mai & Anibale Fly intended runners?

Anibale Fly runs if all is well after GC. No update on BDM yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Go Conquer looks a big price at 33/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Ill risk a few quid on Ultragold at 66/1 as he loves the fences, not sure how far he stays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Humm Tiger Roll goes for it afterall ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What was the last horse to win back to back Grand Nationals? Red Rum in the 70s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Superb horse but won’t win it again plus his price is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Thoughts on Noble endeavor Nulty? Lovely aul prep in Ultima and also in the Becher Chase few months back.

Very good horse with a bit of class I think, will need a bit of rain on the day

He's had two years off, it's rare that a horse can come back and still have the love for the game as before after that break. You'd like to see him run a bit better at Cheltenham than weakening. He's been backed today I see, 50s still available with 5 places at Bet365.

He would have a decent chance but there's obviously others I prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

Four that jumped off the page for me

Ms parfois 25/1
    Walk in the Mill 25/1
    Tea for Two 66/1
    Blacklion 40/1

handsfree2 wrote: »

Ms parfois 25/1
    Walk in the Mill 25/1
    Tea for Two 66/1
    Blacklion 40/1

Ms Parfois slogged her guts out on Saturday off a big enough weight to be 2nd in the Midlands National. Highly doubtful she runs and if she does, it definitely wasn't the prep you'd want three weeks out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Liking two of them myself - TeaforTwo & Blaklion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

yaboya1 wrote: »
    handsfree2 wrote: »

Ms parfois 25/1
    Walk in the Mill 25/1
    Tea for Two 66/1
    Blacklion 40/1

Ms Parfois slogged her guts out on Saturday off a big enough weight to be 2nd in the Midlands National. Highly doubtful she runs and if she does, it definitely wasn't the prep you'd want three weeks out.
    She's set to run

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Bryony Frost out of the National meeting. ITV will be in mourning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Thank jaysus. Dont think I could handle the fawning if she won it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Anyone else be amazed if NTD runs BDM in the national???
    Why risk a young, improving, top class 3 mile chaser in the national??????
    I get PN giving the likes of Silvinaco Conti etc a go at the end of their career, but putting a class, improving, young animal into that race, seems madness to me???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Anyone else be amazed if NTD runs BDM in the national???
    Why risk a young, improving, top class 3 mile chaser in the national??????
    I get PN giving the likes of Silvinaco Conti etc a go at the end of their career, but putting a class, improving, young animal into that race, seems madness to me???

He is probably more likely to run in the 3 mile grade 1 earlier in the week. However, he has Go Conquer and Ballyoptic still in the race at under 11st. That being the case he could well opt to keep him in to keep their weight down.

Given how well he ran in the Gold Cup I can't see how the owners would want to skip the grade 1, he was placed in it last year. We won't conclusively know until the final decs for the grade 1 are made.

But I would say as a gambling man there is a good chance he is pulled. A better chance than Mall Dini winning it anyway :D:D:p:p

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    He is probably more likely to run in the 3 mile grade 1 earlier in the week. However, he has Go Conquer and Ballyoptic still in the race at under 11st. That being the case he could well opt to keep him in to keep their weight down.

Given how well he ran in the Gold Cup I can't see how the owners would want to skip the grade 1, he was placed in it last year. We won't conclusively know until the final decs for the grade 1 are made.

But I would say as a gambling man there is a good chance he is pulled. A better chance than Mall Dini winning it anyway :D:D:p:p

My thoughts exactly!!
    Think Mall Dini is 3rd reserve so the more out the better!
    Backed it at 20/1 last week

My thoughts exactly!!
    Think Mall Dini is 3rd reserve so the more out the better!
    Backed it at 20/1 last week

No dude, he gets in now. See link. No 33. Your bet is good if he runs.

https://www.irishracing.com/card?race=Aintree_Sat_6th_Apr_2019_5_15&prc=100&prd=201904061715

In fairness he is entitled to take his chance. He was placed in the last two Kim Muirs', I have seen worse horses line up.

No dude, he gets in now. See link. No 33. Your bet is good if he runs.

https://www.irishracing.com/card?race=Aintree_Sat_6th_Apr_2019_5_15&prc=100&prd=201904061715

In fairness he is entitled to take his chance. He was placed in the last two Kim Muirs', I have seen worse horses line up.

Huge chance
    Great lepper
    wants the trip

Far inferior horses have won the national, maiden or not!

Lads saying it cant win cos it came second in a TWO MILE race last week make me split :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Don poli anyone? Had a spin in the becher last year and surely the national is the trip for him too slow to go any other pace especially if the rain comes it'll bring them back to him always thought he looked a national horse 80/1 on 365 seems worth a punt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Ballyoptic another I think could go well at the trip probably needs it soft but 50s looks big has contested decent races

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Don poli anyone? Had a spin in the becher last year and surely the national is the trip for him too slow to go any other pace especially if the rain comes it'll bring them back to him always thought he looked a national horse 80/1 on 365 seems worth a punt

Fancied him for it for years. Slow as a boat and just stays.
    Don't know what to make of any of his runs this year though.
    Could be just getting slowly tuned up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

The Thursday of the Aintree meeting is the best days racing of the year for me.

More grade 1's than any other meeting

My only concern would be that he is French bred. Generally when they spit the dummy they're gone. Although he did win 2 races last year, they could well be going handy on him.

Before Mon Mome a French bred hadn't even won the race in a 100 years. But I think this stat is slowly changing, there have been a couple of French bred winners since. Also if you look at the Cheltenham stats for the last few years they are getting much more winners.

The general rule with French breds is that they actually start them much earlier. Nickname the sire of Frodon and other good ones was trained by Martin Brassil in Ireland, a lovely 2 mile chaser. He was jumping fences in France as a 3 year old. They start earlier over there. Most NH bred horses in Ireland don't start till they are 4/5. The generally theory is that you can only get so many seasons out of them. If they are training as 3 year olds they get cute enough by the time they are 8 or 9 years of age, particularly over longer distances. They basically become more difficult to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

My only concern would be that he is French bred. Generally when they spit the dummy they're gone. Although he did win 2 races last year, they could well be going handy on him.

Before Mon Mome a French bred hadn't even won the race in a 100 years. But I think this stat is slowly changing, there have been a couple of French bred winners since. Also if you look at the Cheltenham stats for the last few years they are getting much more winners.

The general rule with French breds is that they actually start them much earlier. Nickname the sire of Frodon and other good ones was trained by Martin Brassil in Ireland, a lovely 2 mile chaser. He was jumping fences in France as a 3 year old. They start earlier over there. Most NH bred horses in Ireland don't start till they are 4/5. The generally theory is that you can only get so many seasons out of them. If they are training as 3 year olds they get cute enough by the time they are 8 or 9 years of age, particularly over longer distances. They basically become more difficult to train.

Did he? PtP or something?

Earendil wrote: »
    Did he? PtP or something?

Do you know I was reading the wrong form. I was reading A TOI PHIL, which is a French bred. Don Poli is actually bred in Ireland, apologies, my bad. He actually hasn't scored since the Lexus ( 2015 )a few years ago.

That being the case and looking at his recent form no thanks. He only ran the other day and got stuffed there. He might not even run.

Do you know I was reading the wrong form. I was reading A TOI PHIL, which is a French bred. Don Poli is actually bred in Ireland, apologies, my bad. He actually hasn't scored since the Lexus ( 2015 )a few years ago.

That being the case and looking at his recent form no thanks. He only ran the other day and got stuffed there. He might not even run.

Was just about to lay in and destroy u !!! :cool:

Didn't the Polinator bomb in the National last year????

Ballyoptic another I think could go well at the trip probably needs it soft but 50s looks big has contested decent races

Wouldn't get around. Doesn't jump near well enough.

Before Mon Mome a French bred hadn't even won the race in a 100 years

Probably why he was sent off 100/1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Altior going to Aintree for 2 and a half miles

Advertisement