Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th wheel caravans in the republic

Options
  • 02-02-2019 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I know 5th wheel caravan setups, especially on pickups and the likes, are not the most common in the Republic.

But I'd like to hear of people, who actually do have a 5th wheel setup and how they have it insured.

I've a bit of a project, with a crew-cab chassis, that when it's finished should be dual-purpose demountable/5th wheel.

The "truck" started life with a GVW of 4.5t, but has since been downrated to 3.5t and was last registered as a motorhome in the UK (with a demountable unit). So the interesting bit would be, if a dual-purpose could be achieved, registered in the Republic and of course also insured as such.

I know it's probably challenging and may be near to impossible unless it's under trade insurance. But I still love to hear of others, who have managed to get that setup registered and insured.

I am aware, that to drive it as a 5th wheel, a C/E license is required, which I have. So that's not the problem. As a motorhome with the demountable, it's currently actually classed as a B class vehicle.

/M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Never saw one in the flesh, but are popular in the US.
    Of course, the braking systems over there are vastly different to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Never saw one in the flesh, but are popular in the US.
    Of course, the braking systems over there are vastly different to here.

They are also common enough in the UK.

Plus I know somebody in Germany, who has a VW T4 Doka Syncro converted to 5th wheel with appropriate caravan.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Globestormer made in north Wales.

http://fifthwheelco.com/

I've seen one in Ireland a few times using a Nissan Navara.

I believe the American ones are difficult to make legal due to things like the electric brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

hi5 wrote: »

Unreal 51k for a secondhand caravan

hi5 wrote: »

I've seen one in Ireland a few times using a Nissan Navara.

I believe the American ones are difficult to make legal due to things like the electric brakes.

I would be getting one from the UK anyhow. I've seen 2 or 3 on camping grounds in Donegal, regularly. But they're nearly always UK reg.

So hence me looking into the situation in the Republic.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

They look like they would be a nightmare to park in the usual european size campsite. Normal caravans get over this with motormovers but I cant see these being a possibility as the front does not have a wheel.You could get a very good camper for the 50,000 second hand price of that rig.I hope the sound insulation is good and the windows are sealed with their 40 inch tv with sound bar otherwise they might not be desirable neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Alkers

Marlow wrote:
    I know it's probably challenging and may be near to impossible unless it's under trade insurance. But I still love to hear of others, who have managed to get that setup registered and insured.

You would have to insure the tow vehicle as the vehicle that it is in reality, you'll never get it classed as a camper here.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    You would have to insure the tow vehicle as the vehicle that it is in reality, you'll never get it classed as a camper here.

That, I'm aware of. The question is now .. does it qualify as a "pickup" or is it a "semi-articulated truck" ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Alkers

Marlow wrote:
    That, I'm aware of. The question is now .. does it qualify as a "pickup" or is it a "semi-articulated truck" ?

I can't see it being anything else than a pickup. Does the tax or insurance classification change based on what your towing?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I can't see it being anything else than a pickup. Does the tax or insurance classification change based on what your towing?

Insurance, I don't know. The tax classification should not change unless the unladen weight is over 4t or so.

/M

• Advertisement
Advertisement