Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing watermarks (I think) from sapelle

Options
  • 27-01-2019 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have an old school lab countertop which I've began sanding. I've encountered some marks and I'm not sure how to get rid of them.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they came from a lab, there's a good chance that's not water - could be chemical or oil stains?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

if they came from a lab, there's a good chance that's not water - could be chemical or oil stains?

Your right!!
    Could definitely be something other than water. Any advice?. I tried sanding but they are deep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500g-Oxalic-acid-Hull-Deck-GRP-Cleaner-rust-remover/140426948733?epid=1125002887&hash=item20b219307d:g:OeYAAOSwrklVACWE:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

looks more like iroko than sapelle you can use oxalic acid to remove the stains from timber you mix about two teaspoons in 500mls boiling water and brush it on leave to dry or use heat gun to dry quicker may take several goes to remove stain rinse the wood well with clean water after . make sure you are using rubber gloves and mask as it is toxic

dathi wrote: »
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500g-Oxalic-acid-Hull-Deck-GRP-Cleaner-rust-remover/140426948733?epid=1125002887&hash=item20b219307d:g:OeYAAOSwrklVACWE:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

looks more like iroko than sapelle you can use oxalic acid to remove the stains from timber you mix about two teaspoons in 500mls boiling water and brush it on leave to dry or use heat gun to dry quicker may take several goes to remove stain rinse the wood well with clean water after . make sure you are using rubber gloves and mask as it is toxic
    Thanks for that, I'll give that a go.
    And your right it could be Iroko alright. I was told it was either that or sapelle but as it had a dark stain on it I couldn't tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Pour some meths on them and set them alight. If they are oil based they will burn off. Otherwise oxalic acid is effective, especially on ink stains.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Head the warning on Oxalic Acid, its a deadly poison,
    Poisonous Ingredient

Oxalic acid
    Where Found

Oxalic acid may be found in some:

Anti-rust products
    Bleaches
    Metal cleaners
    Rhubarb leaves

Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
    Symptoms

Symptoms of oxalic acid poisoning include:

Abdominal pain
    Burns and blisters where the acid contacted the skin, lips, tongue, and gums
    Collapse
    Convulsions
    Mouth pain
    Shock
    Throat pain
    Tremors (unintentional trembling)
    Vomiting

Home Care

Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional.

If the chemical was swallowed, immediately give the person water or milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider. DO NOT give water or milk if the person is having symptoms (such as vomiting, convulsions, or a decreased level of alertness) that make it hard to swallow.
    Before Calling Emergency

The following information is helpful for emergency assistance:

Person's age, weight, and condition
    Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
    Time it was swallowed
    Amount swallowed

However, DO NOT delay calling for help if this information is not immediately available.
    Poison Control

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the acid in rhubarb is oxalic acid, maybe rub some rhubarb on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

the acid in rhubarb is oxalic acid, maybe rub some rhubarb on it?
    I know you meant rhubarb leaf. :)

Not your ornery onager

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've ordered some oxalic acid so hopefully that will shift the stain.
    Perhaps he can help me with something else.
    I've sanded down the countertop but I feel I've hit a wall where it won't sand anymore unless I apply a good bit of pressure.
    I'm fearful I'm digging in too much.
    Can I ask if from these pictures you can tell if I'm back to bare wood or if I've a way to go.

Advertisement