Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equestrian

Options
  • 09-11-2018 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hello All,
    Please help if you can. I am looking to buy a double horse box. I would only be using the box occasionally and not on a regular basis. Consequently my budget will be between €1,500 and €1,700. It would be a big help if anyone can offer advise and suggest the best ones to focus on. Or indeed if you know of a decent horsebox for sale in the Connacht region preferably but not necessarily, your input would be appreciated. Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

Do you have a shed where you can leave it when not in use? Otherwise I wouldn't recommend anything that will rust and rot to easily!

I have one that I don't use much, an old horse and foal Rice box, unfortunately the harsh weather conditions we have at times (especially last winter) means that it needs now a lot of work to make it safe again. The less you use them, the more they need work when you want to re-use them... Otherwise they tend to be great and not over expensive.

I would probably go now for a modern one even if it means spending more. Did you compare prices on done deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭e220

isaos wrote: »
    Do you have a shed where you can leave it when not in use? Otherwise I wouldn't recommend anything that will rust and rot to easily!

I have one that I don't use much, an old horse and foal Rice box, unfortunately the harsh weather conditions we have at times (especially last winter) means that it needs now a lot of work to make it safe again. The less you use them, the more they need work when you want to re-use them... Otherwise they tend to be great and not over expensive.

I would probably go now for a modern one even if it means spending more. Did you compare prices on done deal?

Thank you so much for your response. Sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

If you can find an ifor Williams classic, they’re a great box. Stronger and better to last than any others. Next on my list would be a ifor Williams 505. Another great box.
    Find a decent one of them and you can’t go too far wrong.

Other makes of box can be got cheaper, this doesn’t mean they aren’t an good, but the ifor Williams was by far the most popular.

I’ve seen great boxes bought for as little as €600, but you need to know what your looking at and probably be willing to put in a bit of work to really get great value that way.

As said a shed to keep it in is a massive advantage too

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭e220

TheFarrier wrote: »
    If you can find an ifor Williams classic, they’re a great box. Stronger and better to last than any others. Next on my list would be a ifor Williams 505. Another great box.
    Find a decent one of them and you can’t go too far wrong.

Other makes of box can be got cheaper, this doesn’t mean they aren’t an good, but the ifor Williams was by far the most popular.

I’ve seen great boxes bought for as little as €600, but you need to know what your looking at and probably be willing to put in a bit of work to really get great value that way.

As said a shed to keep it in is a massive advantage too

Thank you very much for your response. I will give it a lot of thought.

Advertisement