Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blindboy Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Goodshape wrote: »
    ?

Look at a map!

I actually enjoyed the episode. Didn't do much to annoy me.

My podcast app tracks exactly how far I'm through each podcast. The last seven blindboy podcasts I've turned off between 10 and 15 minutes through it. Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cienciano wrote: »
    Look at a map!

I guess it's not that tiny. All relative though!

A relatively tiny island off the coast of Italy. :)

Goodshape wrote: »
    I guess it's not that tiny. All relative though!

A relatively tiny island off the coast of Italy. :)

Come on, it's massive!

That episode was decent he said at the start that he has no real subject to talk about which are always the ones I liked.

Like a lot of people on this thread, I've hit a bit of a wall with the podcasts after this week.

For me though they're becoming a bit too self indulgent (my beautiful Instagram eyes) and righteous ( Going vegan doing my bit for the planet etc). Each to their own and nothing against veganism if that's what you're into but it just feels like these things are told with a holier than thou tone. Got the same vibe when he was talking about consumerism, conflict minerals, your phone and this podcast has blood on his hands etc.

The constant Brit bashing was another thing that just got a bit repetitive for me, understand the anger and history besides it all the same

I'll caveat that with the fact that this could well be me being a grumpy ****e but

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Started off interesting but jumped the shark some time ago. That spaghetti bolognese mindful vegan tangent this week was the end of the road for me.

Unfortunately he is starting to resemble that toxic bellend Piers Morgan who will jump on the latest craze to make himself seem relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Think I've hit my limit. Unsubscribed from the podcast, unfollowed on Twitter. The novelty has completely worn off.

Congratulations for lasting so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I'm going to his live podcast in a few weeks in Vicar Street. Got it as a Christmas present.

Might be my last time listening to his podcast. It's just utter rambling lately which is frustrating because his format should be repeatable with a bit of planning.

His podcast on the Stonewall riots was so interesting and all it takes is a few show notes ahead of time to make it work. Now it just seems like he hits record and waffles on about anything that pops into his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I actually went back to the earlier episodes and it worked so much better with humour. In fact, everything the bandits did that was ever good was around humour.

Done with it now, frustrating as I do find him very funny when he wants to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I've just come across this thread, and I just got up to date with the latest pod. I listened to them over the last 5 or 6 months.

I do still enjoy it, but can understand other peoples frustrations too.

Gripes:
    It would be better if, after he's done his research, he has notes in front of him so when he's in the middle of a rant (or the state of flow as he likes to shíte on about) he doesn't get basic stuff wrong.

I'd prefer if he used a mute button when he wants to take a blast of the vape thing. That annoys me tbh, as he talks about how much sound fidelity means to him, then you get the crackle sound in your ears...

He's starting to use words like woke which is a red flag for me.
    I don't mind him speaking about toxic masculinity and stuff like that, but woke sounds too preachy. I'm not saying he's disappeared up his own hóle but he's hovering around the ringpiece..

I'll stay listening as I do enjoy it.
    I love the art podcasts, as i don't know a whole lot about art tbh. I loved the history of music ones too.
    I kinda liked the mental health podcasts. I've (thankfully) never had any issues, but it's good to get an inside take on things like that.

All the humor is gone from it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Ah...the Blindboy Podcast...

I listened to this from near the beginning - not all but a lot of them... My favourites would be some of his interviews (the Belfast tour guide springs to mind) & some of his takes on history. I don't agree with a lot of his views but that's all right too...

A friend recommended the book & I persevered for a while but...just didn't get it. That Flann O'Brien style ****e is not my bag. Again no biggie, horses for courses & all that...

It was around this time he started to annoy me tho. He would read out gushing comments about the book every week & make the point that - as an artist - listening to feedback was disruptive as he couldn't let it influence his 'creative flow'...

Then the Irish Times & a few others started publishing more balanced (mildly critical) reviews basically saying that while demonstrating huge creativity & imagination it was a bit all over the place.
    Bang on the money I thought.

Well...did BlindBoy throw a wobbly! The critics could fook off he said, they must be wrong because all his acolytes said de book was fantastic. No mention now of letting *positive* feedback effect his 'creative flow'!

If he could harness some of that creativity a bit better he could be great - both podcasts & writing. However I fear he's too arrogant & deluded ...

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I’m quite new to this podcast and really didnt think it would be my thing (And I’m from limerick).. overall I really enjoy it. I’m not a fan of the short stories and the comedy aspects are hit and miss, but I’ve enjoyed the interviews mostly and some of the mental health topics also. While I don’t agree with everything he says, I do at least find him interesting, insightful and original

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

TimesArrow wrote: »
    I’m quite new to this podcast and really didnt think it would be my thing (And I’m from limerick).. overall I really enjoy it. I’m not a fan of the short stories and the comedy aspects are hit and miss, but I’ve enjoyed the interviews mostly and some of the mental health topics also. While I don’t agree with everything he says, I do at least find him interesting, insightful and original

Coincidently, he finds himself interesting, insightful and original too. He also finds himself brilliant, compassionate, incredible, verbose and almost God-like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Listened to this on the recommendation of a colleague. He had some theory that grunge and specifically Nirvana was as a direct result of Charles Manson punching the drummer from the beach boys in the throat. Don't think it's for me.

Going to see him this saturday. Looking forward to it even though I barely listen to the podcast anymore. Any suggestions for a question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Ask him where he gets his ideas from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Ask him to explain flow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm going to his live podcast in a few weeks in Vicar Street. Got it as a Christmas present.

Might be my last time listening to his podcast. It's just utter rambling lately which is frustrating because his format should be repeatable with a bit of planning.

His podcast on the Stonewall riots was so interesting and all it takes is a few show notes ahead of time to make it work. Now it just seems like he hits record and waffles on about anything that pops into his head.

I got free tickets and went with a friend. It was dreadful. He read a chapter from his book which was mediocre but other people found it funny. My bad.

He had three guests who are trying to carve out careers in music. Only one of them performed. The rest of the evening they sat there cranking about how difficult it is to make a living in the music industry.

At least if the other two guests had performed one of their songs... I would have a clue as to whether or not I would like to buy their music, never mind listen to it.

The irony of three musicians on a stage in a music venue, on a Saturday foooking night, bitching about the music industry whilst not performing was not lost on me.

I want my 3 hours back please.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I got free tickets and went with a friend. It was dreadful. He read a chapter from his book which was mediocre but other people found it funny. My bad.

He had three guests who are trying to carve out careers in music. Only one of them performed. The rest of the evening they sat there cranking about how difficult it is to make a living in the music industry.

At least if the other two guests had performed one of their songs... I would have a clue as to whether or not I would like to buy their music, never mind listen to it.

The irony of three musicians on a stage in a music venue, on a Saturday foooking night, bitching about the music industry whilst not performing was not lost on me.

I want my 3 hours back please.

Fair enough if you didn't enjoy it but it wasn't advertised as a music gig. You are judging it for something it wasn't trying to be. Bit of a silly complaint.

Was there ever a time when it was easy to break into the music industry?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

he disappeared so far up his own arse its hard to believe. Weekly virtue signalling. Telling us to plant wild flowers this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

NeonWolf wrote: »
    he disappeared so far up his own arse its hard to believe. Weekly virtue signalling. Telling us to plant wild flowers this week.

Yeah i have to say that the last few podcasts have been poor. The Emma Dabari interview by far the worst.

Not really blaming the lad, you run out of ideas when needing to deliver every single week and as he says, it's not his only gig.

The standard of guest he is getting is plummeting. David McWilliams, Vincent Browne and Roddy Doyle were brilliant. Latest few absolutely brutal. I feel like i jinxed him as he brought on comedienne Tara Flynn and an ex Joe Dolan band member in the 2 podcasts i attended. There was moments of fun etc there but hardly worth the 30 quid odd for the ticket.

Maybe the return to the bandits music and gigs will rejuvenate him. For now, am considering switching off. Shame because it was an excellent podcast from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah i have to say that the last few podcasts have been poor. The Emma Dabari interview by far the worst.

Not really blaming the lad, you run out of ideas when needing to deliver every single week and as he says, it's not his only gig.

The standard of guest he is getting is plummeting. David McWilliams, Vincent Browne and Roddy Doyle were brilliant. Latest few absolutely brutal. I feel like i jinxed him as he brought on comedienne Tara Flynn and an ex Joe Dolan band member in the 2 podcasts i attended. There was moments of fun etc there but hardly worth the 30 quid odd for the ticket.

Maybe the return to the bandits music and gigs will rejuvenate him. For now, am considering switching off. Shame because it was an excellent podcast from the start.

He said he did a live podcast with Derek Warfield from the Wolfe Tones where Derek recounts things like debating the merits of communism with Luke Kelly. That'd be a good one to listen to if he puts it out. He always seems to mention doing live podcasts with guests better than the ones he actually puts out to the public, for some weird reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Is he still doing the awl virtue signalling. Switched off about a year ago when he went on a racist tirade about the Spanish.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    He said he did a live podcast with Derek Warfield from the Wolfe Tones where Derek recounts things like debating the merits of communism with Luke Kelly. That'd be a good one to listen to if he puts it out. He always seems to mention doing live podcasts with guests better than the ones he actually puts out to the public, for some weird reason.

I imagine the guests have different contracts. He put out that Spike Lee one instantly.

I imagine the guests have different contracts. He put out that Spike Lee one instantly.

Fair enough, but I should think that most of those on the celebrity level of Derek Warfield would be fine about having their show put out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Is he still doing the awl virtue signalling. Switched off about a year ago when he went on a racist tirade about the Spanish.

It's pretty much all he does now. I mean I agree with a lot of his points but the constant virtue signalling is very annoying.

I'd imagine if you listened to the odd one it'd be grand. But listening to him every week would be painful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I haven't listened to "non interview" ones in ages. But had a listen to the one today as he is over in San Francisco and I've always liked it over there.

It's frustrating that he says things as if they are true, when you know yourself it's not a fact. So much misinformation when he is left to his own devices without a guest. So it's very hard to listen to his information on things you do not know about as it's hard to have any belief in it.... :) Sometimes it's like having pints with that mate who exaggerates everything!

I had to turn it off.

And is a "hot take" basically just a guess? or what is it? ha

• Advertisement

I'm so bored with how much he hates the English. They aren't the colonial power they once were. It doesn't effect the vast majority of us any more. Get over it. It's instilling a hatred in Irish people and a sense of shame in the English. Utterly pointless. Its such a stark contrast to the rest of his woke attitudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

Did anyone else hear his ad during the Ocarina Pause on this weeks pod?

Thought it was a pisstake at first, but he's obviously been paid a ****ton of money to advertise CBD oil products!

https://vitalitycbd.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

onrail wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear his ad during the Ocarina Pause on this weeks pod?

Thought it was a pisstake at first, but he's obviously been paid a ****ton of money to advertise CBD oil products!

https://vitalitycbd.co.uk/

Whats wrong with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Does he have a say in what ad plays? I thought the platform that hosts the show chose the ads that play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

dulux99 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with that?

Ach I don't know - kinda feel like it undermines his brand of presenting. I enjoy the pod, but there's a lot of pontificating about being free from bias and about how its listener funded etc etc.

If he was to make an episode on the benefits of CBD oil for example, would would we feel?

I won't be switching off or anything. At the end of the day, the fella has to 'make hay'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

onrail wrote: »
    Ach I don't know - kinda feel like it undermines his brand of presenting. I enjoy the pod, but there's a lot of pontificating about being free from bias and about how its listener funded etc etc.

If he was to make an episode on the benefits of CBD oil for example, would would we feel?

I won't be switching off or anything. At the end of the day, the fella has to 'make hay'

Ah ok. I've long stopped listening to the pod so didn't realise he was claiming to be ad-free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

onrail wrote:

He discussed the benefits of cbd recently enough I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Bit late to this, but what did he say about the Spanish? I stopped listening to him a long time ago. Listened from the start for a while, then just realised he was spouting general knowledge dressed up as something else.
    I recall he mentioned he goes to Granada often, and was on about how the Spanish like to go out and have food and beer, not just out for pints, as if this was some kind of revelation for the listeners.... I switched off then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Genuine question, is that his natural voice? Are the podcasts done "in character" in his Rubberbandits persona?

Genuine question, is that his natural voice? Are the podcasts done "in character" in his Rubberbandits persona?

He claims that's his real voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Its changes quite wildy sometimes without the same pod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I find that hard to believe. He sounds like hes doing a "funny voice" for the entirety of the podcasts, or at least the ones I could bring myself to listen to. That's fine for short comedy skits but its very wearying over the course of an hour. TBH is not time he dropped the whole Blindboy persona? When was the last time he and the other guy performed together as the Rubberbandits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

If he is putting on the voice for the podcast, and I suspect he is, it's as hilarious as Alice Cooper or the singer from Cradle of Filth clipping the hedge or doing the shopping dressed in character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I find that hard to believe. He sounds like hes doing a "funny voice" for the entirety of the podcasts, or at least the ones I could bring myself to listen to. That's fine for short comedy skits but its very wearying over the course of an hour. TBH is not time he dropped the whole Blindboy persona? When was the last time he and the other guy performed together as the Rubberbandits?

about two weeks ago in canada

So you he doesn't get recognised buying bog roll in spar

Listened to the latest podcast. First time in a long time. It had the promise of some Irish history which I know very little about. First 15 minutes he revealed the shocking revelation that cutting alcohol has positive health benefits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Listened to the latest podcast. First time in a long time. It had the promise of some Irish history which I know very little about. First 15 minutes he revealed the shocking revelation that cutting alcohol has positive health benefits.

I did the exact thing as I you, the first episode I've downloaded in a while as it sounded promising. I lasted about half an hour, I stuck through the alcohol rubbish until the history part where he then proceeded to spout utter nonsense so I had to turn it off.

It looks like I'm done with this podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I thought the latest one was on the history of disco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

happyday wrote: »
    I thought the latest one was on the history of disco?

Thats the one before.

God the insufferable Wolfe Tones. The lead singer pondering why RTE dont put them on. Other than being sh1t stirrers, they are also rubbish. C'mon Blindboy, i know you read this and have your republican links but do some good podcasts.

• Advertisement

He played a live podcast that he'd done with Eddie Lenihan (folklorist and storyteller) this week. Fantastic stuff. His live podcasts are hit and miss depending on the guest, but Lenihan rarely disappoints.

Advertisement