Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking and Metabolism

Options
  • 01-06-2016 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm off cigarettes 5 months today using Champix. The quitting part is fine. The thing that has really bothered me is the weight gain. I've gained about 6 kg since I quit. I'm the heaviest I've ever been.

I'm using MyFitnessPal to track my food and consume 1200 calories per day while either attending an exercise class or running at least 4 days a week. I can't remember the last time I allowed myself a dinner or real lunch.

I'm guessing my metabolism has taken a hit from quitting smoking. My question is does this ever return to the way it was or even start improving a little? It's really bothering me to see the weight increasing every week despite being so hard on myself. I know I can't return to smoking but I really need a solution.

Maybe even hearing other people's experiences this far in may help.

P.S had blood tests. Was told they were fine but at the same time the doctor won't take my weight concerns seriously as I'm still in the healthy BMI range...very frustrating!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Coco84 wrote: »
    I'm off cigarettes 5 months today using Champix. The quitting part is fine. The thing that has really bothered me is the weight gain. I've gained about 6 kg since I quit. I'm the heaviest I've ever been.

I'm using MyFitnessPal to track my food and consume 1200 calories per day while either attending an exercise class or running at least 4 days a week. I can't remember the last time I allowed myself a dinner or real lunch.

I'm guessing my metabolism has taken a hit from quitting smoking. My question is does this ever return to the way it was or even start improving a little? It's really bothering me to see the weight increasing every week despite being so hard on myself. I know I can't return to smoking but I really need a solution.

P.S had blood tests. Was told they were fine but at the same time the doctor won't take my weight concerns seriously as I'm still in the healthy BMI range...very frustrating!

1200 calories would be considered very low.

Usually, as you probably know, ex smokers put on weight because food tastes much better and they eat more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Coco84

Yeah that's why it's gotten me so down. Not eating and gaining weight...the joys of quitting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Yeah that's why it's gotten me so down. Not eating and gaining weight...the joys of quitting!

Metabolism wont have any appreciable effect on weight, imo. It's hard to see how anyone taking in only 1,200 calories per day could be gaining weight, especially if anyway active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I was actually reading some science magazine the other day and it mentioned why smokers who quit put on weight. It seems that the heart beats much faster after having a cigarette and this effects the metabolism of which keeps a persons weight down. I just glanced through reading it. When you stop smoking they say that your heart-beat goes back to normal and as such the metabolism is lower and the weight-gain happens.

You would think that the relaxing feeling from having a cigarette would actually slow the heat-beat, but they say it actually makes your heart beat faster after a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 delly19

Hi, I know this is an old post,but I’d love an update if you do see this message.....did you manage to loose the weight after?im currently in the very same boat & the weight gain despite eating healthy & exercising is really getting me down!any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Coco84

Well 2 years off them now and I'd say my weight has stabilised at about 5-7kg higher than I was as a smoker and 1 size bigger in clothing. Honestly I was underweight as a smoker and I'm not going to lie, I quite liked it that way. Being skinny and being a smoker were, in a way, how I defined myself. Very sad, I know, but this is probably why the changes to my body got me down so much. That and the fact that the changes happend so suddenly. I did struggle a lot with my relationship with food since and gave it too much power over me which probably in itself contributed to my fluctuating weight. I know now that willpower is a finite resource and I was better placed to just ignore any changes to eating habits while I focused on quitting smoking. There's plenty of time to focus on eating habits once the non-smoking habit has been well established. I also realised that other people weren't nearly as aware of my weight increase as I was. I was still underweight but obsessing over my jeans getting a little tight on the hips.

Since quitting I've gotten very into fitness and wellness. I now workout 5-6 times a week including regular heavy lifting which was completely new to me. I've stopped running...because honestly who enjoys that!?! Instead I have a good mix of heavy lifting, spinning and bodyweight HIIT. I no longer workout to control my weight. Instead my motivation is fixing the damage I did over the years, optimising my mental and physical health and showing my body the respect it deserved all those years I was smoking.

Now my BMI is in the lower end of healthy whereas before it was well below the healthy range. I'm still toned but have more muscle mass, so less sharp bones and twiggy thighs and more muscle in the right places to fill out my jeans. Based on my home scales my body fat % has increased 1-2% so it's not all muscles that I've gained. Before I looked starved, now I look slim but strong. The foods I eat are a lot more nutritious and less processed however I still have a snacking (in place of smoking) habit that I've to get a hold on.

I wouldn't say I've reached a point yet where I can recap on the full effect of quitting. I still struggle with the urge to restrict calories/food guilt. I can say quitting was the best choice I ever made. I've since made many other changes but it was the first big step and now I care a lot less about the change to my body. I know it's hard to ignore the changes to weight but if you can try to just focus on quitting the smoking habit for now and investing in your body for the sake of health, not asthetics. Celebrate its improved function rather than how it looks. You can always change the way it looks later when you've more willpower to go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 delly19

Well 2 years off them now and I'd say my weight has stabilised at about 5-7kg higher than I was as a smoker and 1 size bigger in clothing. Honestly I was underweight as a smoker and I'm not going to lie, I quite liked it that way. Being skinny and being a smoker were, in a way, how I defined myself. Very sad, I know, but this is probably why the changes to my body got me down so much. That and the fact that the changes happend so suddenly. I did struggle a lot with my relationship with food since and gave it too much power over me which probably in itself contributed to my fluctuating weight. I know now that willpower is a finite resource and I was better placed to just ignore any changes to eating habits while I focused on quitting smoking. There's plenty of time to focus on eating habits once the non-smoking habit has been well established. I also realised that other people weren't nearly as aware of my weight increase as I was. I was still underweight but obsessing over my jeans getting a little tight on the hips.

Since quitting I've gotten very into fitness and wellness. I now workout 5-6 times a week including regular heavy lifting which was completely new to me. I've stopped running...because honestly who enjoys that!?! Instead I have a good mix of heavy lifting, spinning and bodyweight HIIT. I no longer workout to control my weight. Instead my motivation is fixing the damage I did over the years, optimising my mental and physical health and showing my body the respect it deserved all those years I was smoking.

Now my BMI is in the lower end of healthy whereas before it was well below the healthy range. I'm still toned but have more muscle mass, so less sharp bones and twiggy thighs and more muscle in the right places to fill out my jeans. Based on my home scales my body fat % has increased 1-2% so it's not all muscles that I've gained. Before I looked starved, now I look slim but strong. The foods I eat are a lot more nutritious and less processed however I still have a snacking (in place of smoking) habit that I've to get a hold on.

I wouldn't say I've reached a point yet where I can recap on the full effect of quitting. I still struggle with the urge to restrict calories/food guilt. I can say quitting was the best choice I ever made. I've since made many other changes but it was the first big step and now I care a lot less about the change to my body. I know it's hard to ignore the changes to weight but if you can try to just focus on quitting the smoking habit for now and investing in your body for the sake of health, not asthetics. Celebrate its improved function rather than how it looks. You can always change the way it looks later when you've more willpower to go around.

Thanks so much for your reply.ive never been into exercise...allergic in fact!i was happy enough being a larger size 10....I’m nearly a 14 now I’d say.id be struggling to maintain the interest in exercising....unfortunately I work long,shift work hours & I barely have any time for myself so exercise is the last thing I’d want to do but I guess I’m going to have to try something.its very disheartening.my sister gave up at the same time & she’s in the same boat.we’ve tried everything!i even put on weight with slimming world despite it working for me fantastically in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Miaow_grl

Champix has a nasty side effect in a lot of people- water retention, bloating, and metabolic slowing. My question, have you had your thyroid checked in the blood tests? I would inquire about this as medications can affect thyroid hormones. I relate to the weight gain after quitting- I've gained 10 kg after a year off them... and as someone who recovered from an eating disorder I can say that I really took a hit from it. Losing weight is harder after quitting. I'm not on champix myself, but I think that metabolism does slow down. Hopefully it starts back up with proper care.

How are your meals by the way? I know you're eating low cal (I assume you also log things like tea with milk and condiments?), But maybe also look at sodium (water retention) and consider when you weigh yourself (time, did you have a bm etc). Good luck. Your health is worth it- you'll be able to do more exercise and get stronger and fitter in the end.

Advertisement