Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Addiction

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Haven't posted on boards for quite some time but just wanted to say thank you to all the people i've had interactions with on here over the past few years. As was said on this topic a few times I wasn't taking this seriously enough and that I should go cold turkey etc. Well just over 3 months ago I had a very serious relapse and almost done the unthinkable. Thanks to Pieta House, GA, some close friends, family it didn't turn out to bad as I have given up on this game and I don't know but something just clicked in my head and said this is just not for me. I'm off gambling over 3months and I'd be lying if i said i wasn't tempted to have one bet as i have been. I haven't done one. I haven't and I won't be doing one.

This is something I have drilled into myself and it has really settled with me suprisingly. I very rarely pop onto these pages or in fact boards itself anymore so maybe its time to close my account as i know if i do end up on here this will be one of the places i will go. I would just like to thank you guys and gals one more time for the tips, the laughs, the winners and losers it's been a blast. Just reading that first post brings a tear to my eye and the thoughts of that day and the many other similar ones is something i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy. Keep safe and stay betting within your own means take the advice of someone who has been there and done it. See ya's all in another boardsie life Mr.Jingle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Total respect for you, not only for coming to terms with your addiction and doing something about it, but also for being strong enough to share here with us. Thank you. And best of luck with your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

convert wrote: »
    Total respect for you, not only for coming to terms with your addiction and doing something about it, but also for being strong enough to share here with us. Thank you. And best of luck with your recovery.

Ditto. Always enjoyed your posts Jingle. Wish you all the best in the future. Hope you never have a punt again. Godspeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Well done sir. You're first post was inspirational and hope it serves to help others in a similar situation. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Pearlstone

Mr J , your first post prompted me to register here to wish you luck. When I saw you were back posting and saying you were betting in a controlled manner I despaired for you. I did not post anything negative as you were in a better place and I did not want to jeopardise your improvement but I thought you were playing with fire. I now feel guilty that I did not post something earlier. There is no grey area here and thankfully you now seem to have arrived at that conclusion. I genuinely wish you the very best in the future. Fill your life with other interests and know that all of us here are fully supportive of what you have done. Stay strong and keep well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Sorry to see you go jingle. Always seemed like a nice guy I wish you all the best. If you ever re-register drop me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Clique

Sorry for the bump but its been a while!

Ive resurfaced the odd time but just wanted to post on how things are going. This was something that very neary cost me my life. I am the artist formerly known as mr.jingle just in case you didnt get it.

Nearly a year off them now and don't miss them to be honest. Its been tough at times but as time has gone on it has become easier. Still look at the odd race and still have a little interest in whats going on around the courses. I recently wrote a little piece for A Lust For Life, I'll post the link for anyone interested in hearing of the lows of gambling.

A lot of new names on here probably not familiar with the original post but take it from me if your losing on a constant basis and it doesnt have to much money either you need to get out. Its difficult to stop but not impossible and I'm a testament to that as believe me it was the one thing I ever thought about for the best part of 12/13yrs.

Nice to post here again so talk again soon. Mr.j shhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭mytime

I tip my hat to you. Its a terrible disease. Could you post the link to the piece you wrote I'd love to read it.

Little steps and stay strong
    Clique wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump but its been a while!

Ive resurfaced the odd time but just wanted to post on how things are going. This was something that very neary cost me my life. I am the artist formerly known as mr.jingle just in case you didnt get it.

Nearly a year off them now and don't miss them to be honest. Its been tough at times but as time has gone on it has become easier. Still look at the odd race and still have a little interest in whats going on around the courses. I recently wrote a little piece for A Lust For Life, I'll post the link for anyone interested in hearing of the lows of gambling.

A lot of new names on here probably not familiar with the original post but take it from me if your losing on a constant basis and it doesnt have to much money either you need to get out. Its difficult to stop but not impossible and I'm a testament to that as believe me it was the one thing I ever thought about for the best part of 12/13yrs.

Nice to post here again so talk again soon. Mr.j shhhh

mytime wrote: »
    I tip my hat to you. Its a terrible disease. Could you post the link to the piece you wrote I'd love to read it.

Little steps and stay strong

It wont let me post a link as im only a new user. Its on the A Lust for Life website. Its under Gambling with Life in personal stories. There is a pic of a man and a few chips on a poker table just click that.

http://www.alustforlife.com/personal-stories/gambling-with-life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Delighted to hear jingle glad it's going well

• Advertisement

Delighted to hear you are in a good place Jingle. Without sounding like a preacher you would be far better off not looking at the odd race or having any interest in what's going on around the courses. I believe that it would make the road that you are travelling a bit easier. Keep well.

Pearlstone wrote: »
    Delighted to hear you are in a good place Jingle. Without sounding like a preacher you would be far better off not looking at the odd race or having any interest in what's going on around the courses. I believe that it would make the road that you are travelling a bit easier. Keep well.

Thanks Pearlstone. You dont sound like a preacher at all, I have a friend who is also not gambling. Even when the odds come up on the tv for any sport or if someone mentions it he is straight away turning or trying to ignore it. Thats not a way to live.

I dont mind my friends talking or going into a pub and hearing lads scream at the racing on the tv whereas he does and has to leave. Im the one with the problem not my mates or the others in the place, alienating the whole thing would to me personally make me worse and actually more edgy. Thats not the way I want to live! Each to their own I suppose

Fair point Mr J. Whatever works for you is good. Delighted that you are doing so well.

Good to hear you're doing well. Any addiction, be it drink, drugs, gambling or other less known ones are lifelong conditions. You've done really well. As you know the first step to recovery is to admit to yourself that there is a problem

I posted a review of Cheltenham on another thread and someone mentioned in a pm why I didn't back horses anymore and it brought me back to this, something I forwarded on to them!

Suppose there is no harm after such a week to show the dangers that gambling has and the effect it can have on you. I rarely watch racing anymore but I watched pretty much all of Cheltenham this year, bet free I might add, and enjoyed it. I used to find this week hard but now its just another week. In the past I have made mistakes and fallen back into gambling, St.Stephens Day was always the hardest as it was our lads days out in the pub, the guys would be betting, we'd be drinking all day and last year I relapsed mildly.

It has had its tough days, I still do get small urges but very rarely. I sort of hit a milestone this week in just how far it had gone. I work an average job, an average weekly wage so to find yourself in debt of just over 40k because of mainly gambling despite never being a heavy gambler wager wise, its a hard road back. This week it becomes less than half that total. So still just over a couple of years left of paying back what my counsellor calls my mini mortgage.

At the time of my worst gambling, I was one of the top players of pitch & putt in the country but would always fall short and could never really get that winners medal. Since I stopped, I've won 2 All Irelands, one individually and one with my county, travelled to South America to play in the first ever Ryder Cup of Pitch & Putt between Europe & SA which we won, playing with Ireland in winning a World Cup and European Championship, of which I was captain and honestly would never be where I am without giving up on gambling. I live for pitch & putt now, not losing money on gambling like it was before.

Sometimes change takes time, I knew I needed to change but didn't want to believe it. Thanks for reading, this thread brought back so many memories but also showed me how far I have come.

Love ya's boardies :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

Great to hear that, lad. Delighted for you and of course congratulations on the sporting achievements. Best of luck with the mini mortgage repayments!

By the way, is there any alternative you could find for St Stephen's Day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Delighted to hear all is going well Clique. Every best wish to you. Never underestimate the powerful thing you have done in taking back control of your life. I think it’s simply amazing.

Hi Clique. Fantastic to hear your update and truly delighted for you.Keep well and continued success with the pitch and putt. P.

Itziger wrote: »
    Great to hear that, lad. Delighted for you and of course congratulations on the sporting achievements. Best of luck with the mini mortgage repayments!

By the way, is there any alternative you could find for St Stephen's Day?

The way things are with growing older, friends drift away, some have kids, get married and people lose touch, using social medua & whatsapp to communicate rather than going over to see them like we all once did. Due to that St.Stephens Day became our one day every year, where most of us actually meet up and have a laugh together. Their is an alternative though, quite simply don't drink. I rarely do anyway but definitely one to consider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Well done lad, fair play tya!

Advertisement