Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Addiction

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

fair play mr jingle..............im in a similar position to yourself, haven't gambled in 2 weeks and feeling the better for it mentally, the stress and depression it puts on ones shoulders

Online gambling is the worst of it lads................................paddy powers and its ilk really are bad bad organisations at heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

So it's been 2 weeks now since i put this up, i'll be honest and say I have had a bet since. It's hard, very hard in fact. I just can't seem to get away from racing I just love watching it too much. Whilst i was in doing a bet I resisted temptation to start going and backing on everything and kept composure something i never really did before and start backing bags etc but at the sqame time it felt wrong to be backing at all so quickly got out.

I have had meetings and it was great to get it off the chest to people and will continue going as it is really helping me along the way hearing others too talking is very refreshing and knowing there are others out there with the same problems. I think Saturday gone was the first Saturday in about 5/6 years i didn't do a bet but sat and watched the racing all day without a bother

I'll continue to post on this as i think it's a great little group here and love the opinions and fighting getting thrown around.

On Thursday gone i went into the bookies close to my job and backed Jadanli for the thyeste's(Aftertiming i know!) and went out came back to collect my winnings and this happened! Very scary stuff. Think it's a sign!
    http://youtu.be/frpBMAMJbPY

It can't be easy :(

A good friend of mine is off the drink a few years, he got himself into serious enough trouble over drink and drugs, his problem was he's go on the daz when he was after a few drinks. Anyway, long story short he ended up in a clinic type place in Dublin, it sorted him out.

Lots of stuff still was troubling him, his work (building related) was gone and he had financial probs too, still he kept his nose clean and one day I was walking past a local pub and there he was outside it, p1ssed and having a cigarette, literally I was shocked, didn't see it coming.

Anyway, that was over 6 months ago and he's been grand since again, he knows he can't go near it and is determined once again not to. Now he still is no doubt 100% aware that he has a problem but he is trying like feck every day to beat it.

He throws himself into other stuff no where near drink, he'd be off down the country walking dogs etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

mr.jingle wrote: »
    So it's been 2 weeks now since i put this up, i'll be honest and say I have had a bet since. It's hard, very hard in fact. I just can't seem to get away from racing I just love watching it too much. Whilst i was in doing a bet I resisted temptation to start going and backing on everything and kept composure something i never really did before and start backing bags etc but at the sqame time it felt wrong to be backing at all so quickly got out.

I have had meetings and it was great to get it off the chest to people and will continue going as it is really helping me along the way hearing others too talking is very refreshing and knowing there are others out there with the same problems. I think Saturday gone was the first Saturday in about 5/6 years i didn't do a bet but sat and watched the racing all day without a bother

I'll continue to post on this as i think it's a great little group here and love the opinions and fighting getting thrown around.

On Thursday gone i went into the bookies close to my job and backed Jadanli for the thyeste's(Aftertiming i know!) and went out came back to collect my winnings and this happened! Very scary stuff. Think it's a sign!

I know how hard it is, but here's the tough love bit:

You need a zero tolerance approach

Each morning you get up, you need to commit to doing no bets for that day and that means avoiding watching races or checking results.

Cheltenham and its temptations are only around the corner..you need to detox fully NOW to have a chance of succeeding.

DON'T be fooled into thinking you can do the odd controlled bet now. From what you have posted, your trait will see you slip back down the road to ruin and depression.

Watch the programme on NETwork 2 tonight.

....Keep up the good work but you need to go cold turkey and you'll soon discover you are wealthier than anytime you have been or could be gambling.

I remember reading, that the addictive gambler is always waiting for the one big win to retire that never comes, because, How much is that? 5% more than you have aparently? in otherwords it will never be enough, that's part of the addiction and that leads to make excuses to keep gambling .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I think if you watch racing, especially early on, you're setting yourself up for a fall.

I wouldn't bring an alcoholic to a pub the week after quitting and expect them to have a coke.

In time you can watch racing and not bet but you really need a break completely for a while imho.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    I know how hard it is, but here's the tough love bit:

You need a zero tolerance approach

Each morning you get up, you need to commit to doing no bets for that day and that means avoiding watching races or checking results.

Cheltenham and its temptations are only around the corner..you need to detox fully NOW to have a chance of succeeding.

DON'T be fooled into thinking you can do the odd controlled bet now. From what you have posted, your trait will see you slip back down the road to ruin and depression.

Watch the programme on NETwork 2 tonight.

....Keep up the good work but you need to go cold turkey and you'll soon discover you are wealthier than anytime you have been or could be gambling.

I remember reading, that the addictive gambler is always waiting for the one big win to retire that never comes, because, How much is that? 5% more than you have aparently? in otherwords it will never be enough, that's part of the addiction and that leads to make excuses to keep gambling .

Well said champ, fair play

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

I found meetings to be very repetitive and not the road for me but good for the time period whereby they were enough to keep me out of the bookies.

I would suggest you find a good therapist and look into the reasons you make the choices you do. Especially as you are wanting to do one thing but choosing to do another.

The cost of seeing a therapist (try a CBT) will give you a good reason to not spunk it (your money) away on what you have already perceived to be no life.

Best of luck.

I havent gambled in a month.......thank feck, with the superbowl coming up this sunday it will be tough but Im determined to see it out........................I hope paddy power and its ilk get slaughtered on this show tonight, somehow doubt it though..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I havent gambled in a month.......thank feck, with the superbowl coming up this sunday it will be tough but Im determined to see it out........................I hope paddy power and its ilk get slaughtered on this show tonight, somehow doubt it though..........

Why should they?

They aren't forcing anyone to gamble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Don't start md. This is one thread that doesn't need to turn into a bitch fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Is there a documentary on rte tonight, and what time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Is there a documentary on rte tonight, and what time?

RTE2 at 9.30.
    Journalist Joe O'Shea examines the popularity of gambling in the country and the ways in which it has infiltrated people's public and private lives. He embarks on a journey that takes him to a betting company's headquarters, a racing ground and an international poker tournament, interviews former broker Nick Leeson, who infamously brought down Britain's Barings Bank in the mid-1990s, and asks whether the Irish are particularly susceptible to risk-taking

You're fair lazy.

Looking forward to it...........cannot wait to see the smuh pr man from paddy power try reason and worm around things, his attitude and arrogance smacks of alot that is wrong with the country ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

ft9 wrote: »
    Don't start md. This is one thread that doesn't need to turn into a bitch fest.

No idea what you mean or why people are thanking your post.

What did he mean by he hopes Paddy Power gets slaughtered though, I guess this isn't the thread for it but they aren't twisting anyone's arm.

From the bits of the show I've seen it seems a bit crap, worth watching it all no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

mdwexford wrote: »

What did he mean by he hopes Paddy Power gets slaughtered though, I guess this isn't the thread for it but they aren't twisting anyone's arm.

From the bits of the show I've seen it seems a bit crap, worth watching it all no?

He meant that this was the on thread on here that doesn't need to descend into chaos/non-sensical name calling etc given the serious nature of the issue at hand.

The show was pretty crap in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Rubbish show, paddy power love in, lovely offices of the backs of people...................and crazy camera shots at the guy from man vs food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

mdwexford wrote: »

MD your a gas man. Your like a character on a TV show , I bet nobody would pull the wool over your eyes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Pearlstone

Documentary was typical rubbish that RTE churn out. An opportunity missed. More about the presenter than the issue. Yet another reason why we should not be paying a tv licence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Not the best,thought the comment about JP McManus was a bit stupid,knowing what he has done for Limerick as a hole and Charity in particular,the best Limerick man ever!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

Typical RTE rubbish ,mostly about the presenter.
    If they had spent a decent amount of time
    With the quant guy it might have been interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 7276887e

Im in much the same boat as you. Ive tried several times to give up but keep slipping up after a few weeks, months etc.

I am a married man with 2 kids and this has been going on for best part of 15 years. The hardest part i find is coming out and telling my wife knowing what pain it will cause her. It is usually her that finds out somehow and not me actually coming clean which is even harder.

I want to give it up but is so hard. It is everywhere no matter where you look. I can get to a bookmakers within 3 mins of walking out my front door.

I have no idea if my wife will forgive me this time but I am not going to give her up without a fight.

I am going to try keeping a diary of my feelings urges etc and give it to her to read on a daily/weekly basis

Ive tried councelling and didnt seem to work for me. I also tried GA but again didnt work for me over the long term. I am very tempted to try a hypnotist as a 1 off try and see what happens. Has anyone else tried this or have any experience with this?

I also believe there is a clinic where you can sign in for 4-5 weeks and do a recovery program but apart from the costs i couldnt get that much time off work.

Any thoughts/experiences greatly appreciated....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

7276887e wrote: »
    Im in much the same boat as you. Ive tried several times to give up but keep slipping up after a few weeks, months etc.

I am a married man with 2 kids and this has been going on for best part of 15 years. The hardest part i find is coming out and telling my wife knowing what pain it will cause her. It is usually her that finds out somehow and not me actually coming clean which is even harder.

I want to give it up but is so hard. It is everywhere no matter where you look. I can get to a bookmakers within 3 mins of walking out my front door.

I have no idea if my wife will forgive me this time but I am not going to give her up without a fight.

I am going to try keeping a diary of my feelings urges etc and give it to her to read on a daily/weekly basis

Ive tried councelling and didnt seem to work for me. I also tried GA but again didnt work for me over the long term. I am very tempted to try a hypnotist as a 1 off try and see what happens. Has anyone else tried this or have any experience with this?

I also believe there is a clinic where you can sign in for 4-5 weeks and do a recovery program but apart from the costs i couldnt get that much time off work.

Forget about recovery program's or psychologists. Go to a hypnotist..they're cheaper and I would say effective much faster. Very simply they will help you identify when your behaviour was triggered that has you where you are now and take you back to that point without delving into the detail or asking you all about it like a psychologist will over numerous sessions..and will put you in a place where you want to be you just haven't realised it yet.
    If you want to go to a decent one pm me and I'll try and find one for you. I have some experience in this area. You'd probably need 1 or 2 sessions and strong chances are you'll never ever back horses again and you'll find some new energy doing new things

7276887e- I have used a hypnotist for sporting reasons and found him excellent. I would be happy to give you his name and number if you want to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

7276887e wrote: »

would be interested to hear any feedback on the hypnotist route.

Current advice...

Nothing new just...Take it one day at a time..

You can only make amends by staying away from gambling. and you will begin to see that you are better off financially than you ever can be gambling. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

A few years ago I ended up gambling a lot. It culminated with me putting €1k on a horse in Meydan. I knew straight away the complete idiocy of it. I suppose I'm lucky because from then on I changed the way I bet completely. I have small doubles and trebles and lucky 15 fun bets now with the very occasional bigger single but only if I have researched it very thoroughly.

I find the hardest thing was the winner you don't back. You can aim to be good and not back that dog at Hove and it wins at 3/1. They used to annoy me far more than any looser.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

A few years ago I ended up gambling a lot. It culminated with me putting €1k on a horse in Meydan. I knew straight away the complete idiocy of it. I suppose I'm lucky because from then on I changed the way I bet completely. I have small doubles and trebles and lucky 15 fun bets now with the very occasional bigger single but only if I have researched it very thoroughly.

I find the hardest thing was the winner you don't back. You can aim to be good and not back that dog at Hove and it wins at 3/1. They used to annoy me far more than any looser.

Good luck with it.

I can empathise with that. I could win a sizeable amount over a number of weeks through disciplined and carefully selected punts and then start to get greedy and start backing long odds on shots at the gaff tracks in England trying to top up winnings and buy money essentially. The outcome of this was inevitable. I have coached myself not to do it anymore but I was still having the odd lapse here and there up to a year or two ago.

I think that's the key point. I won plenty money with some good bets, and threw a lot away on stupid greedy bets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

To be honest, i don't think some of the comments on this thread are appropriate for the OP. There is a difference between a mug bettor and an actual addict.

I think it's pretty obvious the OP is the latter and needs to avoid betting rather than teaching himself how to be disciplined. I'd say he'll be cleaned out before he does that. Also it's pretty obvious his mental health/life is suffering as a result.

Just my 2c anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Is that a typo?

I hope you are not back into the whole thing after the commitment you made to yourself and others, but I am not judging you. I know its really hard.

I will be honest I gamble too on Tennis mainly and occasionally HR and Football

I have had many losing runs and have chased along with the best of them in the early days but even so I am well ahead because I am generally consistent and accept the losers as well as the winners.

The reason I am telling you this is because even in those dark early days when I ended up chasing losses I never once and I mean NEVER had the urge to play Cartoon racing or ANY type of virtual bet, infact I have been given lots of free "games" bets by all the bookies I have accounts with and have let them expire every time.

I have also been given what seems like endless free poker chips and never once tried it because I know what I can specialise in and I know when it comes to Poker I would be eaten alive.

Anyway the bookies make the vast majority of their profits from Virtual Sports or cartoon racing as its become known as.

If I ever placed a bet on a virtual race then I would know I have a huge problem and that would be that for me.

You seem to have the type of personality that had lead you to bet these virtual races and as such you absolutely MUST GET HELP NOW. It can only come from you though,you must really want it.

Best of luck I really hope you can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kingkev26

I haven't wrote on this in a long time and mr J best of luck with giving it up.Im now 7 months clean this Friday and was as bad a gambler as anyone ive seen it took over my whole life from when I started at 17 to 28 years old I lived for gambling every penny I got was for gambling and noting else I went threw thousands and thousands no problem at all money didn't matter to me even though I wanted to win I was one of them gamblers no matter how much I won it was never enough always wanted more I remember one time going to the dogs with 300 euro in cash and 300 in cheque and getting it up to nearly 4 grand without touching the cheque and at the end of the meeting walking out with noting I could go on and on with stories I could write a book :) any offers welcome lol but for me im with my fiancé 2 years now and shes the best thing that's every happened to me but for the first year I was gambling as much as ever blowing wage everyweek lying where money went lie after lie with gambling then after a while I started to tell her I was loosing money in the bookies wages and that she was never happy but it was so hard as so much money was being spent by me and times are tough enough as it is without blowing ur money everyweek I was the same I would back anything at all and online accounts to me now shouldn't be allowed I know I could get slated here for saying that but for me its far to easy to loose money and all for the bookies benfit my final straw was all my lying and spending most my time in the bookies and thinking of noting else was I had 1000 euro which I needed to breed one my bitchs the money was for a stud dog and I decedided I would go to the bookies with 50 euro of it but of course brough bank card which I knew in my head was a mistake lost the 50 and it didn't take long for the rest to be gone except the last 20 euro I remember I did a 5.00 Trixie and came home first one won second one won and third one lead all the way and was pipped on the line of course if it had won I would have got bout 700 euro I was so so sick and was probally the best thing that ever happened to me.I told my partner when she came home what had happened and that I needed help.People will be shocked by this but I never went anywhere for help it was like my mind had a total change I can even sit down and look at racing and watch it no bother and even pick out something and even if it wins ill say to myself sure I would have lost the winnings in the next race its crazy but for me its all about the mind I haven't stepped in a bookies since the 7 months and don't plan on it either im sorry if spelling bad wouldn't be my strong point lol but just taught id let u know ur not the only one that has gone threw this and u can stop.I wont back anything at all now not even any my greyhounds if I fancy them cause for me I think 1 win could get my hooked again and my risk it ive more money now than Ive a brilliant woman in my life now and the bitch that the 1000 euro was for got mated but missed but she has being mated again since and is due pups soon and paid the money up front this time :) so anyone that has a problem try STOP its the best thing ive ever did and anyone looking for help ur more than welcome to pm me I know im only 7 months but my mind is totally switched I just cant see any change.

• Advertisement

So 1 week now since my last bet, it's been hard but have got myself into a routine and although have found the GA very repetitive even at this early stage and found myself somewhat bored, so seeked professional counselling instead.

Was away last weekend and told pretty much all my mates about the problem. To my surprise and shock two of my best friends had had the same problem unbeknownst to all of us and it ended being a welcome relief i think to all 3 of us just getting it out there and we all made a promise between us never to talk about gambling and the likes around each other.

I have continued to watch horse racing but very sparingly and have a walking route now from work which means i don't walk by or near a betting shop. I went into the Paddypower and asked for the form to exclude myself from the shop altogether and have to say the girl was very supportive even if I knew her well and she said that it is quite the common thing these days.

Anyway onwards and upwards been only a week and although not far in it's small steps! I wlll continue to post on the thread as i said i do enjoy the banter and the discussions and the height of activity in the Horse Racing Board does come around this time of year when the flat is about to start back :)

Well done Mr J. Delighted at that good news.

Good man. It will be much better with time and you'll be delighted you did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

i have been gamling 20 years now,it has ruined my life,from today i plan to never gamble again.
    there isnt a addiction worse tham gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

So 1 week now since my last bet, it's been hard but have got myself into a routine and although have found the GA very repetitive even at this early stage and found myself somewhat bored, so seeked professional counselling instead.

Was away last weekend and told pretty much all my mates about the problem. To my surprise and shock two of my best friends had had the same problem unbeknownst to all of us and it ended being a welcome relief i think to all 3 of us just getting it out there and we all made a promise between us never to talk about gambling and the likes around each other.

I have continued to watch horse racing but very sparingly and have a walking route now from work which means i don't walk by or near a betting shop. I went into the Paddypower and asked for the form to exclude myself from the shop altogether and have to say the girl was very supportive even if I knew her well and she said that it is quite the common thing these days.

Anyway onwards and upwards been only a week and although not far in it's small steps! I wlll continue to post on the thread as i said i do enjoy the banter and the discussions and the height of activity in the Horse Racing Board does come around this time of year when the flat is about to start back :)
    well done,a week is a long time to not gamble,you can do it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

All the best ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

Good luck on your long and arduous road Ray. Stay strong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Fair play to you jingles. You have made the first move in getting it sorted. I had a major problem with the booze but with AA it's been 10 years now(well 9 years, 10months & 2 days to be precise!)

Best of luck ray, its a horrible thing but its good to take the step and admitting it yourself.

Its over 4 wks now since I last backed a horse and I can honestly say its the best thing ive ever done. Its tough at the start very tough in fact but go through this thread and take on any advice you can.

Best of luck with it if I can do it anyone can

• Advertisement

Well done lads. Well done. Feel to PM me if I can be any help with anything.

With the festival on the horizon id just like to post this up as with the influx of new people coming to the horse racing forum over the next week.

Ive no doubt in my mind I will not gamble this week but like most here I will be glued to the action. Ive organised a competition for the festival for friends to keep me occupied during the races and hopefully it takes off.

A couple of pointers as to what not to do this week.

Dont back beyond your means.
    Dont go chasing losses
    Look for value and search form
    Write your bets at home and be in and out of the shop asap
    Its a long week so dont go all gung ho on the first day and ruin the rest of your week
    Dont post aftertiming winners or I will hunt you down personally and geld you!

Enjoy the week folks bet sensibly and hope yous bash the bookies

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

How are you getting on with this jingle? Have you been able to keep things together for the most part?

Huntley wrote: »
    How are you getting on with this jingle? Have you been able to keep things together for the most part?

My God this seems like so long ago now!

It's been hard Huntley and i'd be lying if i said i haven't had bets because i have. Just going through the thread again and it's mad to think what I was like writing that post i'll never forget that day as it was the day after my birthday and we were all out for my birthday having a few sociables! I'll never forget that lonely horrible walk home and thankfully I haven't done anything so stupid since.

I have an online account set up in my dads name and he monitors it and it has a set limit of 20 euro each week and its usually just for the lotto numbers if we forget them but I usually do a couple of small bets for the big meetings or just on a Saturday afternoon when we are at home. He has control over the computer and i just give him the selections. Have had some very nice wins over the past few months with small bets and have been sensible in the sense that it's all been taken out and have put the winnings to good use instead of getting greed like the me of old and end up losing more!

I've myself barred from all the local bookmakers and haven't set foot in one in months. I did however find i was buying scratch cards and extra lotto lines just for the 'thrill' but have stopped that too.

Honestly though I can't believe the difference in myself and the family even say i'm happier as i used to get moody and lock myself inside my room and just do nothing.

The GA i didn't really relate too though, I got very bored of it very quickly and i wouldn't be the most attentive person in the world and some of the stuff went in one ear and out the out but wouldn't knock it as it has helped many.

All in all though Huntley i'm fine and all's well and hopefully it will stay this way!

Thanks for the concern :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Glad to hear you are on the right path Jingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cotswolds

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Glad to hear you are on the right path Jingle.

Not sure he is on the right path Huckle. Sounds like it might be a slippery slope to me.

He is still gambling. A gambler is a gambler. If his circumstances were to change tomorrow and he inherited a large some of money would he still keep stakes small and are small stakes even relevant ?

Ask an alcoholic if he can keep drinking 2-3 a day and be confident it will not escalate. Ask a drug user if he can dabble weekly without jumping back in when the time is right or indeed wrong.

If the OP does indeed have a gambling problem then to continue to gamble in ANY way is a very dangerous if not deluded path to be on.

It's a behavioral problem and the behavior still exists therefore the fundamental lack of understanding the reason he chooses to gamble still exists.

Any action we take in life that is detrimental to our happiness is a source of not facing issues that are too difficult to face. This could be anything from experiencing a parental break up as a child or an experience of death or even an experience of personal abuse.

The question is why do something that you know makes you unhappy. It's usually to deviate attention away from something else that you either don't understand or don't want to process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Dunno how you can say he isnt on the right path Cots, he has gone from a very dark place to a place where he is having better days and interacting with people better, sounds like progress to me.

Sure he still has a way to go but he has made great progress and should be congratulated for it

Completely understand where you are coming from Cotswolds and agree with what you say. I am playing a dangerous game I understand that but it is a dangerous game I feel I have control over.

The urges are still there like anyone else that suffered with an addiction but I feel inside myself that im not an addict anymore and have won big sums(to me, maybe not others) in the past few months but have learned from past mistakes and instead of chasing more winnings have learned to cut off while ahead and also when to quit when enough is enough and im losing money I cant afford(A position that was an almost weekly occurance).

This may not be what I or others envisaged would happen when I first wrote that post but I have come a long way in this time and it is a place I never thought I could reach if being honest, as I was totally lost at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 5 valeriehogan

hi mr jingle, go to gambers amoymos .do 90 meetings in 90 days , bring a friend family member for support, even if there not an addict, untill your able to relax in your own skin , and members introduce themselves to u ,etc. eve

n at first you cant understand the.programme they have , keep going back andjust keep listening. I know gambers life style , but listen , start by being honnest with your self, and people that care about you. and do u and.yourfriends and.family a favour . Get that monkey off your back , once and for all . you will only keep making a ejet out of your self if.you dont get rid of the monkey. the real you is a good u. go to a night class get a bit off savy . stay out of bookies not even to give a message to amate in there for example or go to the toilet.drop your addiction friends and go have life beyond your wildest dreams. stick with the real winners thats the people at the meetings .they will restore you back to sanity . dont start doing what you usually do ,start to make up.excuses for the person that make upexcuses, are in fact big fat liars incapable of being honnest with them selfs wanting to live in fantasyland. you could have a great life if you not to allow yourself to in dulge in such stupid notions, of idle escapism. I helped a man justed like you before, to recover and he dif he now has 5 beautful kids and absolute gorgues baby girl something he always wanted.couple years ago he laughed at me told me hed never have any more kis but he went and sortef himself out met a girl and had kids. he has life beyond his wildest dreams.he recentlywent in to a casino , were once he was hooked but he felt nothing he said, I said thats because I said when he came.out u felt nothing because theres what u always wanted , the daughter you always wanted. give gou ur self a chance u go for it pet , discover what it is your really looking for , rember get the monkey of your back get to gambers anoymous, they will give you the direction you need lots of work ahead stick with it, best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

There's little worse than getting sucked into a gambling addiction. As the op said, it ruins every aspect of not just your life, but those around you. I've sat through weddings of friends in a fouler. I've ridiculously tried to reason a good case for missing a close family occasion. I've snapped at loved ones over days where I lost my bollox.

It's simply a horrible disease and one I can thankfully say I've mastered. What helped was as wexford alluded to was realising this was not what I wanted to do with my money, or my life.

Secondly I closed my online accounts as I just don't have the head or the discipline for it. I once arrogantly placed €400 on both teams to score in a Barce Atleti game, thinking it was "free money". The game finished 0-0. Worst sleep I ever had as I couldn't get over what I had done, and was something I'd never do in a shop. Unfortunately it took me a while to cop and close my accounts but when I did, a weight was lifted and I became a much happier person and better to be around. Best thing I've ever done in a lot of ways tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 valeriehogan

well done soft falling rain. proud off ya, life to short to be doing that. gamblers well I wont preach , but im delighted for u . u know im so glad I read your forum today,im fed up listening to half assed folk, that there giving up and then flop at the final fence.hope it all worksout for u now

• Advertisement
Advertisement