Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quail shooting

• 18-03-2019 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Don't know much about quail but I've had pheasants over the years and malard.anyone know which quail would be good for game crop?? So many out there !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

I have japs and Italian at the moment but not a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Only a very few Wild Quail summer here these days. Not great for shooting anyways as they are tiny(size of a small pheasant chick) and tend to be hard flushed while sticking to dense cover 24/7. Only ever came across them one autumn a few years ago in barely stubble. Think it was 2012, the last major influx into the country(Ireland is at the very edge of their European range). A good year is when you get birds "overshooting" their core range in Europe in spring time and then stick around to breed in suitable habitat, which in recent years has been one area in South Kildare and the Shannon Callows.

PS: Now that I think of it I don't think they are even on the current NPWS game shooting list:confused:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Only a very few Wild Quail summer here these days. Not great for shooting anyways as they are tiny(size of a small pheasant chick) and tend to be hard flushed while sticking to dense cover 24/7. Only ever came across them one autumn a few years ago in barely stubble. Think it was 2012, the last major influx into the country(Ireland is at the very edge of their European range). A good year is when you get birds "overshooting" their core range in Europe in spring time and then stick around to breed in suitable habitat, which in recent years has been one area in South Kildare and the Shannon Callows.

PS: Now that I think of it I don't think they are even on the current NPWS game shooting list:confused:

Do you know the name of the quail that come here ?

A lad was telling me last night that Bob white quail would be best for letting off in game crop. Would they fly from cover ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

I have good luck with Coturnix Quail (Coturnix japonica) and would be my choice

Coturnix quail are easy to raise. They are used as meat birds and as training and hunting birds. They are full grown at six weeks old and laying eggs. Their eggs take 17 to 18 days to hatch.
    They are hearty birds make good flight birds at eight to 10 weeks old.

Northern Bobwhite Quail
    Excellent table fare
    They take 16 weeks to become good flight birds and 26 weeks to be laying and reproducing.

Both species will flush from cover.

• Advertisement

Coturnix quail are easy to raise. They are used as meat birds and as training and hunting birds. They are full grown at six weeks old and laying eggs. Their eggs take 17 to 18 days to hatch.

Northern Bobwhite Quail
    Excellent table fare
    They take 16 weeks to become good flight birds and 26 weeks to be laying and reproducing.

Would they be the same Japanese quail I have? Only have them a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭J.R.

They are not on the list of gamebird species permitted to shoot here with an open/closed season - presumably as they are not native here.

What is the position regards shooting quail if reared & released here and not on the list of game species?

Can a permit be obtained from NPWS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

https://www.npws.ie/licences/hunting/pen-reared-birds

The above link would be the place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Benny mcc wrote: »
    Do you know the name of the quail that come here ?

The "Common" or "European" Quail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_quail

J.R. wrote: »
    They are not on the list of gamebird species permitted to shoot here with an open/closed season - presumably as they are not native here.

What is the position regards shooting quail if reared & released here and not on the list of game species?

Can a permit be obtained from NPWS?

I think after the money I've spent over the years on wire feed and fencing posts and all the time put into keeping different birds I won't be looking for a permit to do what ever I want with them. Not to mention nights up till all hours after fox and others to try and protect the birds

• Advertisement

Northern Bobwhite Quail
    Excellent table fare

Think I'll stick with the japs so. Thanks DB

Advertisement