Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund on new Phone

Options
  • 18-03-2019 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased a new Samsung S10 from Carphone Warehouse. I did not know at the time but there is a severe defect in these phones in that the front facing camera is terrible and is severely zoomed in. This can not be rectified. Basically the phone is of no use for the purpose I bought it for last week.

I bought it Simfree last week, have all my receipts, box and accessories etc. I wonder if I can just return it for a refund since it is not working as intended. There is no physical fault and the only fix is firmware update, it is happening across all apps and when you make a video call the person your calling can nearly see your nose pores due to the zoomed in effect.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The camera itself is fine.

The problem is its 4K which wasnt really a thing for FF cameras until now. The apps are requesting a 720p rect from that which the HAL is giving them, essentially a box from the centre of the video.

The apps should be taking the 4K stream and downsampling it to 720 or 360p so they can transmit it live. That would give the full FoV not the massive crop you see. Apps are wrong IMO. In my eyes you've no cause to return. Give it time and app developers will add detection code for high res FF cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

hi op

you said "There is no physical fault and the only fix is firmware update"

So this issue is not as straightforward as the phone is broken.

Many new phones have software glitches that are ironed out by updates. This is common. In order to get a refund or replacement under the sale of goods and supply act you would have to establish there is a manufacturing defect or flase advertising, etc.

from consumer rights site.

of merchantable quality
    fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable
    as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.

this is your difficulty. i think car phone warehouse can claim this is a change of mind scenario. can you prove otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

CarPhoneWarehouse refused me a refund today when I took it back, it is not a change of mind, the phone itself is ok except for this issue; was the front facing camera not zoomed in I'd be happy with it.

There is a clear issue with the phone I was able to get a refund on the €80 of accessories I had purchased as they were unopened. The manager was overtly hostile towards me and I am thinking to sue them through the Small Claims Court, execpt the problem with this is that it will be anything up to 4 months before I'd get a resolution forcing me to shell out another large amount of Money. The Hauwei P20 Pro hasn't got this issue and is a superior phone as I was able to test it in the Three Store today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

OP, if it's that big of an issue I'd imagine that Samsung would be working on a quick fix for it

theteal wrote: »
    OP, if it's that big of an issue I'd imagine that Samsung would be working on a quick fix for it

A quick fix in Samsung's world could be a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,073 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, when using camera, can you zoom in and out? If you can, is this not an issue with apps that have not caught up with new technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Sono

Why didn’t you buy the P20 if it’s a superior phone? Sounds like you bought a product and have just decided it’s not for you tbh.

Did you research the camera before hand and is now not what you saw previous to purchasing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Yea you aren't owed a refund here. It's a simple case of change of mind. You didn't do your research before purchasing.

There is a fault in the phone, when you open various applications like SnapChat, Instagram or Facebook, the camera opens on half zoom already. You can zoom in more but you cannot achive a full zoom out and at standard selfie length your head occupies a huge portion of the screen compared to a phone. There is an obvious Software problem which Samsung won't bother fixiing.

If this is a manufacturer fault surely there must be many others with the same complaint? Contact Samsung if it’s such a fault. The shop would know of the fault as well you’d imagine

• Advertisement

Sono wrote: »
    If this is a manufacturer fault surely there must be many others with the same complaint? Contact Samsung if it’s such a fault. The shop would know of the fault as well you’d imagine

The manager was openly hostile and was trying to brush it off as a non-issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

theguzman wrote: »

When you bought the phone did you tell the shop that it was purely as a selfie device? Otherwise its a functioning smart phone with a slight issue with taking selfies.

It's a non issue that you appear to have hit on after getting buyers regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As has already been explained by ED E, the issue isn't that there is a fault with the Front Camera. A selfie taken via the camera App is likely perfectly framed.

The issue appears to be that when the OP uses other Apps such as Instagram and Snapchat that call for input from the front camera that the input is displayed zoomed!
    Thats not a camera or a phone fault!
    Its that the API for the apps are calling for a lower resolution frame from the camera.

That is an app/API fault and not a phone fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Sono wrote: »

I have the Samsung 10 and I do not have this issue at all. Front facing camera is totally normal. OP are you sure you haven't been messing around with the photo settings too much (or not enough!)

theguzman wrote: »

I reckon I would have been the same in their shoes, doesn’t sound like a common problem.

Why didn’t you try phones before you buy? You clearly prefer the P20 after the event and I think this is driving this issue in your head even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,127 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

rawn wrote: »
    I have the Samsung 10 and I do not have this issue at all. Front facing camera is totally normal. OP are you sure you haven't been messing around with the photo settings too much (or not enough!)

I just checked on mine and it seems to be an issue alright.

In the camera app itself it is fine, but in Facebook (only one I checked) the pic is far more zoomed in - for the reasons mentioned in the thread. As it is fine in the camera mode, it isn't a phone problem, it is an app problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I just checked on mine and it seems to be an issue alright.

In the camera app itself it is fine, but in Facebook (only one I checked) the pic is far more zoomed in - for the reasons mentioned in the thread. As it is fine in the camera mode, it isn't a phone problem, it is an app problem.

Ah I see, I only tested in camera mode!

Advertisement