Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icons Issue 1 : Withdrawal Symptoms

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Pter wrote: »
    'hmmm probably best to hold back for now RUPERT. But thanks! Maybe run the scan anyway'

"Commencing Scan....."
    T-7
    sKeith wrote: »
    Shelly grabs the putty like lump and begins chewing, she also grabs hold of the rod and begins running through the south doors. Once she has swallowed the lump she screams 'hippy hi ho futher muckers'.

Somewhat miraculously there is no tamper proofing. Still chewing, she enters the staff room where several men in chefs whites are dancing around near the stairwell screaming at each other
    "Red!"
    "Blue!"
    "Grabben le chat!"
    ...when she's punched hard in the chest by an unseen hand.
    MosCow follows the others, to tha choppa, to safety.

"Thanks guys! Really appreciate you waiting for this old man".

He proceeds to profusely apologize his delay may have caused.
    As he takes his seat RUPERT lets out a strange digitised warble and tries to angle away as the shockwave from the massive sudden thermal event he just scanned hits.
    tenor.gif
    A jet of flame erupts from the stairwell, chunks of masonry flying in their wake - the copter is struck, spinning out of control.
    (It crashes next turn, but there's time to act.)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Squiramorph morphs into a flying squirrel and jumps out the window, gliding herself (hopefully) away from the blast and towards the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Indigo reflexively goes gaseous and heads out the window with Squiramorph.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Plas dives out the door facing away from where the copter is spinning towards and tries to brace himself for a fall against the side of the nearest unblown up building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Banjo wrote: »
    Somewhat miraculously there is no tamper proofing. Still chewing, she enters the staff room where several men in chefs whites are dancing around near the stairwell screaming at each other
    "Red!"
    "Blue!"
    "Grabben le chat!"
    ...when she's punched hard in the chest by an unseen hand.

Upon taking the punch to the chest, if shelly is still conscious, she pivots on her good leg into a spin, swinging the rod out full stretch, hoping to strike anybody within the circumfirence of her spin and the wielded rod, and, anything that so happens to still be attached to the other side of the rod.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Squiramorph morphs into a flying squirrel and jumps out the window, gliding herself (hopefully) away from the blast and towards the ground
    Fourier wrote: »
    Indigo reflexively goes gaseous and heads out the window with Squiramorph.

Squirramorph dives for the door, her slender hands compacting into hairy paws even as she works the handle. Almost immediately on exit, she spreads her limbs wide, the membranes between them catching the downdraft and pushing her away from the helicopter's blades. Just as quickly she's pushed straight back at the wicked whirligig above, as Indigo Spirit follows her lead, his gaseous form billowing out beneath her and providing her with a lethal lift. She pulls the membranes in in time to prevent being julienned, but the blades claim the hair from the top of one tufty ear.

A very lucky no-damage to SM. Quick point of order, without the instant extra, you need a full page to take animal form. You could instead use a Manouever - i.e. roll your Power level vs a difficulty level - for advantage and use that advantage to give you access to the Extra for 1 page... but given the pace of the game is already glacial due to my lack of availability, I made an executive decision to let SM and Indigo pay for Advantage to use Instant transformations by accepting Trouble - specifically that the rush of the gas behind SM potentially pushes her up into the blades. And... well.... the rolls were not in your favour, except the damage one which under the circumstances was the only result that would have left you alive (d6-1, rolled a 1)

Both Squirramorph and Indigo reach the safety of the ground, landing in an unkempt yard filled with a maze of rusting, discarded appliances and detritus. Despite his best efforts to the contrary, RUPERT is spiraling right for them.
    Pter wrote: »
    Plas dives out the door facing away from where the copter is spinning towards and tries to brace himself for a fall against the side of the nearest unblown up building.

Plasma Squirrel leaps out into the night.

He will be knocked unconscious by the landing, he has only 1 Stamina point and it's a minimum of 3 stamina for the fall. The only question is whether it's lethal damage or bruising damage, and that really depends on what he lands on. Let's up the tension! roll 2d6 and check out your result here :
    2 : Plas's jacket catches on one of RUPERT's skids, he gets dragged along to the helicopter crash in the next page.
    3-5 : The road. 3 Stamina damage, Blast
    6-7 : A car. 4 Stamina damage, Blast and if one of the dice was a 1 you set off the car alarm.
    8 : A steel railing. 8 Stamina damage, Shooting damage (This is potentially fatal. Don't roll an 8!)
    9 : A retreating gang member. 1 Stamina damage and the gang member gets an unconciousness roll that you can do (see below)
    10-11 : You manage to hit a few awnings and fire-escapes on the way down - you still take 1 Damage and collapse but not before you find Squirramorph and Indigo Spirit.
    12 : You land on Indigo Spirit in gaseous form and take no damage at all

If you're unconcious, you roll 2D6 to see how soon you'll wake up with 1 Stamina

sKeith wrote: »
    Upon taking the punch to the chest, if shelly is still conscious, she pivots on her good leg into a spin, swinging the rod out full stretch, hoping to strike anybody within the circumfirence of her spin and the wielded rod, and, anything that so happens to still be attached to the other side of the rod.

OOC: Unfortunately Shelly was hit by the blast from one of the incendiary devices and is unconcious. Roll 2D6 to see how long for. If you're trying to get Shelly killed, alas, explosives and fire are not the way to go! They will be EXTREMELY annoying but you need a little more oomph to finish her off.

BTW the rod is only a couple of inches long, it's a detonator, so not much use offensively. It's still wired to the control circuit, I guess you could use it as a nerdy morning-star?

Quick check in!
    I have Indigo Spirit on 5 Stamina, Moscow on full, Plas on 1, Shelly on 1, Squiramorph on 1. Sound about right?

OOC: Its a 10

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

OOC: Before Rupert impacts, has SM time to construct a rudimentary shield from the discarded appliances? If not, she runs. Also did I take the Stamina damage from the blades? Or was it from the bank and nobody thought to let me rest (and by nobody I mean me :pac: )

OOC: Before Rupert impacts, has SM time to construct a rudimentary shield from the discarded appliances? If not, she runs. Also did I take the Stamina damage from the blades? Or was it from the bank and nobody thought to let me rest (and by nobody I mean me :pac: )

Yeah, you were all carrying damage from the bank and MosCow ate all the nachos. They weren't magic healing nachos, but still, he was a guest, he should have been more polite.

To construct a shield, there's plenty of material but you don't have the necessary Extra to make it happen automatically - you'd need to use a Machine Control stunt - standard difficulty 3, but first you need advantage. Got a handy quality you can pay 1 DP to activate?

Pter wrote:
    OOC: Its a 10

Plasma Squirrel comes staggering out of the dark, looking like hammered bacon. He reaches out for Squirramorphs hand and then collapses

Maternal instinct activate?

OOC: Sounds good. DP and Maternal instinct work for you?

• Advertisement

OOC: Sounds good. DP and Maternal instinct work for you?

D6+machine control Vs d6+3 to make a shield out of white goods. Go!

OOC: 9 VS 6 - Success right...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Banjo wrote: »
    OOC: Unfortunately Shelly was hit by the blast from one of the incendiary devices and is unconcious. Roll 2D6 to see how long for.

ooc: rolled a 5 and a 3 for total of 8.

Banjo wrote:
    Plasma Squirrel comes staggering out of the dark, looking like hammered bacon. He reaches out for Squirramorphs hand and then collapses

OOC: Out for the count roll was 8

That's the second time in a row that Plas and Shelly are unconscious for the same number of rounds - that's the Scurry Bond, I expect!

@Necro - yes, that's a success

@Nebel - You have a move in hand, so you may or may not be in RUPERT when this happens....

Seeing her ward incapacitated, and the screaming swirling lump of metal tumbling towards them, Squirramorph's brain desperately cries out for aid. A multitude of answers come from discarded washing machines, tumble driers, refrigerators, microwaves - an army of forgotten appliances given one last chance at providing useful service.

On flapping doors and whipping power cords they crawl and tumble, forming a rudimentary curved barricade between Squirramorph and the falling copter. The washers and driers eject their facias, their drums rotating out and pulling together, forming a rapidly spinning shell, and with scant milliseconds to spare; RUPERT hits, his twisted remains conducted up and over, crashing "safely" to a halt on lean-to behind the group. Nobody screams, so it was probably unoccupied. Probably.

467861.png

And then it's quiet, nothing but the chirp of crickets and the crackle of flames from the burning chocolate factory.

Once she is certain Plasma Squirrel isn't in any immediate danger, Squiramorph runs to check on the twisted remains of the Squirrelcopter.

'Don't worry RUPERT, I'll get you back to the lab and have you fixed up in no time, at least I hope so.'

She looks at Indigo.

'What now? I suppose we had best wait for the authorities, get a recovery truck for RUPERT... I'm not sure how we'll explain all of this though.'

"That was incredible Squiramorph!" Indigo says leaping in the air.

"Do you have any way of getting RUPERT back to your base without official involvement, is it possible to extract his AI core or something?"

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

With the helicopter spinning out of control and the crew having jumped ship, MosCow realizes there is no longer anyone to help break his fall.

As he gets flung into every nook and cranny of the passenger cockpit he tries to hold onto his udders for dear life, with each passing tumble, he holds on tighter and stretches his udder further.

As the helicopter nears its impact, strands start flowing from the udders. MosCow feels the strands wrap around him, bulking up as strand after strand tightens around him. He feels squirming underneath his suit and on top of his skin, snaking around, trying to find exit points. It is then, in a final move, that MosCow unzips himself.

Everything comes pouring out with explosive force and wraps itself around MosCow, forming a tightly knit cocoon.

"Goodbye cruel world... its been a doozy..." He thinks to himself just before the impact.

As the wreckage rolls to a halt, a door falls open, vomiting out a hairy but unharmed mass.
    giphy.gif

From around the yard, a few wretched forms crawl out of lean-tos and improvised shacks - some now without critical load-bearing members since Squirramorph co-opted them - gathering up their meagre belongings and fleeing the conflagration across the road.

Up above, the train begins to move again. As it passes, a figure leaps from it's roof, swan-diving towards the ground - but this is no depressed commuter! At the last second something flies from their hand, catching the edge of the roof of the blazing building, allowing them to swing safely to the ground whereupon they tuck, roll and leap into a flying kick that knocks the rear door of the Chocolatiers inwards, and the figure swiftly follows.

(Plas and Shelly - 7 turns to go)

Fourier wrote: »
    "That was incredible Squiramorph!" Indigo says leaping in the air.

"Do you have any way of getting RUPERT back to your base without official involvement, is it possible to extract his AI core or something?"

Squiramorph assesses the wreckage.

'I can try.'

OOC: But I probably can't, right :pac:

• Advertisement

Squiramorph assesses the wreckage.

'I can try.'

OOC: But I probably can't, right :pac:

OOC : I don't see why not, assuming you know what you're looking for. And the wreckage doesn't explode. And that it's not too heavy to carry. It's your vehicle, you tell me! Although one would have to question whether you can carry an AI core and an unconscious plasma squirrel and the guilt of all the dead bodies and property destruction you guys leave in your wake, all the way home. There are no taxi ranks on the Skillet!

Banjo wrote:
    OOC : I don't see why not, assuming you know what you're looking for. And the wreckage doesn't explode. And that it's not too heavy to carry. It's your vehicle, you tell me! Although one would have to question whether you can carry an AI core and an unconscious plasma squirrel and the guilt of all the dead bodies and property destruction you guys leave in your wake, all the way home. There are no taxi ranks on the Skillet!

OOC: I haven't the foggiest, but I assume Squiramorph would... :cool:

OOC: I haven't the foggiest, but I assume Squiramorph would... :cool:

Sorry for the delay but I'm sure you'll agree the results were worth it.

Squirramorph rummages in the wreckage and pulls out RUPERT's AI Core, which for legal reasons is definitely not C3P0s eyes cut and pasted onto the head of Goliath.
    467954.png

The hairs encasing MosCowlick begin to recede, allowing him to move again and assess his injuries (which are minimal).

(2/8, unconsciousarinos!)

Squiramorph turns to Indigo.

'I guess that worked! We should probably move our companions away from... Rupert...

I fear the wreckage may explode.'

She shuffles over to Plas and holds the AI Core in front of him.

'This is all we have left of Rupert until I fix him, Plas... I'm not sure how many more Squirrelcopters we can go through this month.'

Squiramorph turns to Indigo.

'I guess that worked! We should probably move our companions away from... Rupert...

I fear the wreckage may explode.'

She shuffles over to Plas and holds the AI Core in front of him.

'This is all we have left of Rupert until I fix him, Plas... I'm not sure how many more Squirrelcopters we can go through this month.'
    Indigo darts away from the copter wreckage and over to Plas and Squiramorph.

"What now? I heard some of the gang members talking to D'Olier, but heard little else, he seemed to be in trouble for getting media attention"

OOC : In terms of where you can go, any direction is possible, but based on the monorail line above you and where that crosses the river relative to the Panhandle bridge that you caused significant damage to earlier, you'll want to head South East to get to the nearest crossing towards home. At either end of this wasteground you're in there are roads that run NW-SE, with a SW-NE road between them that passes behind and gives access to the burning chocolatier buidling. In terms of territory, from their previous forays the Squirrels would know that west and north west will bring them into New Foundrymen territory, North east / east is mostly Slaughterhouse turf and south belongs to The 'Duce.

There's a loud groan from the first floor of the factory across the road as a section of the roof collapses into the flames.

(After seeing the VtM LARP thread appear, I can't take the chance that one day a wandering super hero RPer will happen by and reopen this wound, so I must cut off the limb and cauterise the stump!)

As our "heroes" stand in stunned silence, the doors to the Chocolatier slam open again, that same figure reappearing but moving far less gracefully, dragging something - no, someone - behind her as she splutters her way through to the relative safety of the heli-wreckage strewn yard. She lifts her PVC-hooded head to talk but is silenced by a deafening cry of "SHAZBOT!" as a bolt of lightning splits the sky, and a hugely impressive behemoth of a man splits the pavement that dares halt his descent. As he stands, his gargantuan chesticles thrust proudly before him and a billowing blue cloak behind, you are all awed into silence. No need to roll.

cape-gif-7.gif

"It is I!" he booms, "Captain Closure!" He beats a mighty fist on the large C emblem on his mighty chest. "The loom that weaves the tapestry of chronicle from the threads of fate!"

The BDSM-bedecked woman chokes out a "Building… *cough*… Collapse… *hack*… Someone … *bleurgh*… In there…"

"Fear not, Betty Noire! The building cannot collapse!"

As if on cue, the building collapses - all but the north eastern corner which seems to be held in place by something that - despite the flames, despite the sheer weight of unsupported metal and masonry - refuses to give.

"Just as that Chocolatier stood as a single outpost of civility in the debased chaos of the Skillet, there is something in that building stronger than the maelstrom of discord around it. Around her. For as long as Shelly Bridges lives, that building shall stand - a metaphor for how we as heroes uphold the very fabric of Civilisation itself! And live she shall - so speaks The Captain!"

No really, the rules around fire damage suggest that she can only be knocked unconscious over and over again and never actually die.

The man Betty Noire dragged from the fire expectorates heavily and skitters to his feet.
    "Not so fast, D'Olier!" Betty wheezes but D'Olier just smiles, slams his right hand onto the bangle on his left arm and shouts
    "Tech Support!". A blue-white portal opens behind him and a short bespectacled pulls D'Olier in as the portal irises closed.

"Let him go, Ms Noire" the Captain advises. "I believe that's the last we'll see of him - his thread was too thin to weave - it can't have been important. And neither, I suspect is your own - Begone!" and before she can complain she disappears with an audible pop and a brief gust of wind.

The Big C cups his hand to his ear theatrically - the air is suddenly alive with the wail of sirens. Squad cars and vans screech as they halt in a cordon around the yard. There are a cascade of clicks as weapons are brought to bear. Through a loudhailer a grim voice growls

"Freeze punks! Energy Commission Enforcement! Elizabeth Edwards aka Brenda Tomlinson aka the vigilante Squirramorph - you are under arrest for the use of… " - there is some murmuring - "*ahem* the illegal use of an extra-terrestrial fusion reactor in a domestic.. uh… domocile! You have the right to - you know what, you ain't got no rights, lady - you sided with da aliens! Rights is for earthlings! Cuff her boys!"

Before she can react, heavy manacles are clamped around her wrists and she's dragged away to an unmarked armoured SUV. On the ground, Plasma Squirrel begins to come to. A tired-looking woman with a clip board shuffles forward, putting a foil blanket around his shoulders.

"Don't worry Nathan, the bad lady is gone. But everything is going to be ok, you won't be alone - we've found you a wonderful new family to live with, they're new in town and they've been looking for a boy like you their whole lives!" She helps him over to meet Cyrus and Caroline Grey, a delightfully bushy-eyebrowed couple who definitely don't have tails, they're just standing beside 2 large grey bushes you don't remember seeing earlier.

"Oh Nate! We're so happy to meet you! I feel like we've searched a whole galaxy for you, but we definitely only came from 1 state over. 2 max. I mean, look at my maxi-dress! Could we be any more earthling?" Caroline gushes, offering a giant motherly hug with one hand while the other digs deep into a heavily laden pocket and gestures at their vehicle. "Get in the ship. CAR! I meant car! Everything's going to be all right now." There's a beeeeooooop from her pocket which is probably just the car alarm disengaging and not a mini positron collider powering up.

As the Grey's car disappears up a hill - there was a hill wasn't there? It must have been a hill, I mean how else would a car… I digress - the Captain Turns his eye to MosCow.

"And I suppose you want your Bank Loan? Why, my dear Scarecrow - I mean MosCow - anybody can have a Loan. That's a very mediocre commodity. Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas and has some kind of collateral has a loan. Back where I come from, we have Credit Unions, seats of great finance, where men and women go to open accounts that they never lodge any money into because it somehow makes it easier to get a mortgage. And when they come out, they have deep pockets and with no more money than you have. But they have one thing you haven't got: a credit rating!"

He reaches into his bag and pulls out a print out, handing it to the adventurous agriculturist, and then dismisses him with a wave that sends Moscow hurtling off southwards into the night air.

"And finally Indigo Spirit. There is much we must discuss. But not here…."
    A blink and they are in a spacious walnut-lined office, before them floor-to-ceiling windows overlook the city lights twinkling far below. Behind them a desk with a suspiciously large amount of a glasses, bottles and ornaments strewn around them.

"Did Hamilton ever explain how the nanonic paste works? Did he ever show you the close ups from the femtoscope? You're harnessing karma, mr Spirit. Not your own, but that of the countless individuals in the bottled galaxies that make up your spinal fluid. Every good act you do must be balanced with evil, when you are strong they must be made weak, when you show valour they must know fear. Countless lives, immeasurable suffering, on a near universal scale. So tell me, Indigo, what is a hero and who's the real villain?
    Anyway - feel free to pound on the windows or sweep the desk clear a few times while you wrestle with your angst."

Captain Closure exits the office, bumping into the Mayor in the hallway.
    "Ah, former high court judge turned vigilante turned politician Justice Justin "the Just" Justicar! Fancy seeing you here!"

"Please, Captain, it's just Justice Justin to you. I'm so glad I found you - there's just so much to do! The Skillet is out of control, the Biriccino family are causing problems in the north, Red Bratva and W.A.N.C. are running wild in the south, FlexCo is engaged in a corporate war with the Dubois-Tokogawa that's spilling out of the boardroom and into the streets, someone's eaten all the fried chicken, Mer Master is threatening the new airport runway development, Man O'Paws has taken my husband - that's right, I'm a progressive ex-judge, TWIST! - hostage and there are reports of a 40 storey Rabbi using kung fu to cause massive property damage in the docklands. The city needs you now more than ever!"

"Well, Mr Mayor - those sound more like story beginnings than story endings. Not really my thing…. But look out there - see that bright star in the sky? Make a wish."

"I wish all this chaos was over…. Hey…. That star looks bigger than it did a minute ago."

"It sure does, Mr Mayor. It sure does…."

ScholarlyImpeccableBedbug-max-1mb.gif

The End.

Belated thanks for playing and apologies for putting you through it :D

Advertisement