Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engine warning light. BMW e60

• 14-03-2019 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭

Hi

Have a 2006 BMW 523i. Automatic. Serviced well over the years. Engine oil level is ok.

Started it up and noticed it shuddered a bit. Then driving shuddered a bit more. Not violently, but very noticeable.
    Journey home was 10 miles. Made it home but felt like it would not make it at stages.

I noticed the engine management light was on. Attached.

Any idea as to what this possibly could be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi

Have a 2006 BMW 523i. Automatic. Serviced well over the years. Engine oil level is ok.

Started it up and noticed it shuddered a bit. Then driving shuddered a bit more. Not violently, but very noticeable.
    Journey home was 10 miles. Made it home but felt like it would not make it at stages.

I noticed the engine management light was on. Attached.

Any idea as to what this possibly could be?

DO NOT DRIVE !!! Have it scanned ASAP and find out exactly what is causing the engine light to come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Could be any number of things. Most likely a coil pack or mass air flow meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Could be a load of stuff but possible it's a coil pack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭obi604

Thanks. Weird thing is nothing shows up on iDrive, just the symbol in the dash. Normally iDrive will say what’s wrong and do not drive in control messages etc.

My garage is 4 miles away. Are ye saying I most likely need to get it towed as too dodgy to drive? (Even though I drove 10 miles home!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks. Weird thing is nothing shows up on iDrive, just the symbol in the dash. Normally iDrive will say what’s wrong and do not drive in control messages etc.

My garage is 4 miles away. Are ye saying I most likely need to get it towed as too dodgy to drive? (Even though I drove 10 miles home!!)

Ah I don't think I'd be as afraid as others seem to suggest on this thread. I'd let it idle in the drive first and see how it was, if it was managing to idle ok I'd consider driving it tbh.

As others have said there's tonnes of things this could be.

• Advertisement

Even a momentary misfire can pop the light on although yours sounds like it’s down on a cylinder. If the garage is only 4km away I’d say you’ll be safe enough.

emeldc wrote: »
    Even a momentary misfire can pop the light on although yours sounds like it’s down on a cylinder. If the garage is only 4km away I’d say you’ll be safe enough.

4 miles :)
    Is “down a cylinder” linked to the coil pack

4 miles :)
    Is “down a cylinder” linked to the coil pack

Yea, the coil pack supplies the spark to each of the plugs. 4miles even, take it handy. Failing that maybe the garage will come to you with the diagnostic tool. No harm in asking.

Yea, the coil pack supplies the spark to each of the plugs. 4miles even, take it handy. Failing that maybe the garage will come to you with the diagnostic tool. No harm in asking.

Thanks. When you say coil pack. Is it just the coil pack needed?

Or does the spark plus need replacing too?

Thanks. When you say coil pack. Is it just the coil pack needed?

Or does the spark plus need replacing too?
    There shouldn’t be any need to replace the plugs unless they’re due to be changed anyway.

• Advertisement

There shouldn’t be any need to replace the plugs unless they’re due to be changed anyway.

They still have 40,000 miles left.

What is rough ball park figure for a coil pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

This happened the fathers 2006 525 last week
    Very same as you describe. He drove it without any issues for a couple of days, but he only goes about 10 miles a day.
    Turned out it was the coil pack on cylinder no 6, which is the one at the back of the engine, near the windscreen.
    I changed it for him within 2 minutes and engine is perfect again, and engine light went the minute the coil pack was changed

Very hard to say, but they are a common issue with the BMW engines, although very simple to sort too, but should last 100k surely??

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Very hard to say, but they are a common issue with the BMW engines, although very simple to sort too, but should last 100k surely??

I meant the cost

This happened the fathers 2006 525 last week
    Very same as you describe. He drove it without any issues for a couple of days, but he only goes about 10 miles a day.
    Turned out it was the coil pack on cylinder no 6, which is the one at the back of the engine, near the windscreen.
    I changed it for him within 2 minutes and engine is perfect again, and engine light went the minute the coil pack was changed

Would this be a relatively cheap part and labour at a garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would this be a relatively cheap part and labour at a garage.

50 60 quid part. Pull it yourself and swap

Start at about 2 mins 40 seconds
    You don't need to take off all the other stuff just to swap out a coil pack
    It's really only for getting access to the plugs if changing them

Start the car and let it tick over
    You will hear that it's not firing correctly and "missing"
    Pull out the first plug, see if the sound of engine gets worse, or stays the same
    If it gets worse, that coil pack is good, if it stays the same, you've found your faulty coil

Each time you do this, put the coil pack back in and reconnect before moving to the next one. You should find which one it is very quickly
    Alternatively, you can use an OBD2 reader and read the error code from the computer and it will tell you which cylinder is misfiring

As @listermint says, just do it yourself as it's a simple fix.
    As a ballpark figure, they are about 35 or 45 euro with Micksgarage depending on brand

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/ignition-coils/bmw/bmw-5-series/5-series-2003-to-2010/523-i-190-2497/products

As @listermint says, just do it yourself as it's a simple fix.
    As a ballpark figure, they are about 35 or 45 euro with Micksgarage depending on brand

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/ignition-coils/bmw/bmw-5-series/5-series-2003-to-2010/523-i-190-2497/products

But it may not be the coil pack at all. Most likely is but may not be.

Let’s say it is indeed the coil pack, would it be ok to drive it the 4 miles to the garage? (Is a coil pack issue less severe on the engine and driving the car in this state etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

But it may not be the coil pack at all. Most likely is but may not be.

Let’s say it is indeed the coil pack, would it be ok to drive it the 4 miles to the garage? (Is a coil pack issue less severe on the engine and driving the car in this state etc)

Driving a car 4 miles with a misfire or a dead coil pack wont do it any harm. Its just not a good idea long term.

• Advertisement

Interslice wrote: »
    Driving a car 4 miles with a misfire or a dead coil pack wont do it any harm. Its just not a good idea long term.

thanks!

I drove it 10 miles home last night
    and then 4 miles today

I guess neither will have done any harm......I hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

thanks!

and then 4 miles today

I wouldn't be worrying tbh.

thanks!

and then 4 miles today

Any luck with this since, or did you get sorted ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I've no idea, but I bought the cheapest possible coil pack online (micksgarage or misterauto .. not sure which) a few years ago for an e46 , and it only lasted 18 months.

My advice is not to buy the cheapest coil pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

micks cheapest selection are pure garbage. Only problem that cheap one cost way more than good premium one on other EU countries. Go online and order from UK, Germany, France etc. Only disadvantage are the waiting time about 5-7 business days. All my parts coming from Germany. I order every week (for me and my customers) and they are happy (no advertising). I got many times 2x more expensive parts because out of stock. Only be 100% sure what is you coil pack OEN. These numbers/letters are printed to the coil pack. You can not order the wrong part if OEN match.

Any luck with this since, or did you get sorted ok?

hey, just got it sorted today, garage was busy with bank holiday etc.

turns out it was indeed the coil pack. all sorted now.

Good stuff ;)

Advertisement