Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,229 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah the only really troublesome one I found was the Glinthawks one, though they're generally a pain in the hole anyway. The other hunting grounds, I generally just found run & gun was the only way to do them. Just run in, use lots of bombs, and run back out. Same with the one where you have to loot stuff the shellwalkers are protecting, run in and just get the stuff, then run back out. No time for proper tactics when going for the gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

€20 on the Playstation store couldn't pass it up. Hope its good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

gimli2112 wrote: »
    yeah I'm the same with platinums, if it happens it happens but rarely go out of my way for it. Would have loved TLOU platinium (you should definitely play it on the PS4) but one of the MP trophies annoyed the bejaysus out of me and I gave up on it.

What was TLOU MP trophy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

What was TLOU MP trophy?

It's years since I attempted it. It was something around keeping survivors alive. As you progressed you had a group of survivors that you could see after the game, little dots in a kind of circle. You had to do certain things within a time period, get x number of kills, get x number of headshots....
    You had to get a certain number of them through to the end of the season.

They could get sick, starve or just die depending on your actions
    I had the required number but near the end of a season I was one kill short, shot a guy with the time ticking down but he went into something like last stand. My aim turned to crap and the game ended. All my survivors died, which put you back at the beginning.

I have experienced rage before and after but certainly nothing like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I bought this when I got the PS4, but didn't really gel with me. I found the aiming controls awkward, and enemies could swarm you too easily. I guess I was expecting something like Batman or Shadow of Mordor in terms of fighting. Anyways, I kinda dropped it, but I had to do a late shift last night, and needed to keep awake so I launched it for the first time in a few weeks. I was enjoying the story, so I just knocked the difficulty down to Story mode. It's way easier, but I'm getting through it, and I really do like the story so far. I don't have an awful lot of time where I can devote to extended gaming sessions, so being able to breeze through it is very handy. It's an absolutely stunning game though. The graphics and environments are amazing looking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I just finished the main story mission and have started into the Frozen Wilds. Enjoyed pretty much every minute of it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

Does this game take a while to get into? I only ever completed GtaV, TLOU and U4 so I'm still a good bit of a noob.

I got the game 6 months ago and only played for about 45 mins but I dunno it wasn't for me. Did it take you long to get into properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CWF wrote: »
    Does this game take a while to get into? I only ever completed GtaV, TLOU and U4 so I'm still a good bit of a noob.

I got the game 6 months ago and only played for about 45 mins but I dunno it wasn't for me. Did it take your a while to get into properly?

Took me at least 6-8 hours to get into. I was just after finishing the main campaign for Witcher 3 so I was comparing it unfavourably to that. I'm glad I stuck it out though, once you start to get levelled up a bit, the combat really comes into it's own and when you start to take down the bigger creatures it is really enjoyable. Bought the Frozen Wilds DLC as soon as I finished the campaign and got stuck straight into it which is something I would rarely do.

I got the game 6 months ago and only played for about 45 mins but I dunno it wasn't for me. Did it take you long to get into properly?

Yeah the first few hours are definitely slow in order to set up the story, setting and general combat. Same as most games, even GTAV, where the first few hours are simple enough missions to get you used to the combat, controls, gameplay etc.

But once you stick with it, the game map opens up, you come up against far more powerful and dangerous enemies and get loads of new weapons.

• Advertisement

I got the game 6 months ago and only played for about 45 mins but I dunno it wasn't for me. Did it take your a while to get into properly?

Took me at least 6-8 hours to get into. I was just after finishing the main campaign for Witcher 3 so I was comparing it unfavourably to that. I'm glad I stuck it out though, once you start to get levelled up a bit, the combat really comes into it's own and when you start to take down the bigger creatures it is really enjoyable. Bought the Frozen Wilds DLC as soon as I finished the campaign and got stuck straight into it which is something I would rarely do.
    Brilliant, thanks dude. I'll go for it so

Penn wrote: »

Yeah the first few hours are definitely slow in order to set up the story, setting and general combat. Same as most games, even GTAV, where the first few hours are simple enough missions to get you used to the combat, controls, gameplay etc.

But once you stick with it, the game map opens up, you come up against far more powerful and dangerous enemies and get loads of new weapons.

Yeah that makes sense, just needed that reaffirmation. Thanks dude!

Yeah that makes sense, just needed that reaffirmation. Thanks dude!

Enjoy! It's a fantastic game. It doesn't do anything particularly mind-blowing or uniquely spectacular, but everything it does, it does insanely well. The combat is great fun throughout. The story and lore is basic, but still very interesting and well presented, and a lot deeper than it seems on the surface. And the game is just a feast for the eyes throughout.

Do people recommend to play on story mode or a little harder than that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do people recommend to play on story mode or a little harder than that?

Whatever is comfortable for you, I played it on easy as I wanted to enjoy the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Just started this yesterday and like above finding it hard to get into it yet.

Will give it time because I remember playing The Witcher 3 for 10 hours and couldn't understand the hype behind it. Ended up putting over 120 hours into that when it finally hooked me.

• Advertisement

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Just started this yesterday and like above finding it hard to get into it yet.

Will give it time because I remember playing The Witcher 3 for 10 hours and couldn't understand the hype behind it. Ended up putting over 120 hours into that when it finally hooked me.

Yeah same here. I know I will like it once I get the hang of it, how to kill the things properly etc. just taking a bit longer than it usually does for me to get immersed.

there's a couple of skills you should unlock as early as you can. I'm sure there's one along the lines of a stealth kill and the other is a whistle.
    easy mode engaged at least for the smaller machines. I spent ages at the start hiding in tall grass.

Has anyone completed the dlc? Just wondering if I should start it before I finish the main storyline or does it make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Has anyone completed the dlc? Just wondering if I should start it before I finish the main storyline or does it make a difference.

Sorry havent played the dlc yet but just curious how you got on with the game. You mentioned before that you were finding it difficult to get into. Just being nosey :)

Probably best to finish the main story. The DLC technically takes place storywise before the final mission, but there's very little connection between them. The main thing is the difficulty spike. You'll face harder enemies and get more powerful weapons in the dlc which would then make the final story mission too easy

• Advertisement

weiland79 wrote: »
    Sorry havent played the dlc yet but just curious how you got on with the game. You mentioned before that you were finding it difficult to get into. Just being nosey :)

Loving it! If you haven't played it, pick it up. The gameplay is definitely what has me hooked. All the different ways to approach a battle with the various weapons and skills. The main storyline is excellent and some of the side missions are good too.

I've over 40 hours in it now and I'm level 37. So I think I'm approaching the last few main missions but will definitely go for the platinum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Doesnt make a bit of difference buddy, if i was doing it again. Id do the dlc first but thats just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There are some minor differences in dialogue depending on when you play and it only concerns one character, as far as I remember.

Completed the main storyline and went straight into the DLC. I wasn't expecting that increase in difficulty at all, the first machine I encountered took about half the health potions I had in my inventory that I hadn't touched in about 10 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wish I had a game like this to play again, you dont realize how spoiled you are when you have a H:ZD or Breath of the Wild or God of War on the go until its over :(

How about witcher 3?

How about witcher 3?
    Played at launch, probably the best thing Ive ever played, Cyberpunk is about the only game Im excited about atm, and Elder Scrolls VI whenever that comes I suppose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thargor wrote: »
    Played at launch, probably the best thing Ive ever played, Cyberpunk is about the only game Im excited about atm, and Elder Scrolls VI whenever that comes I suppose.

Red dead 2 or the new assassins creed maybe?

Red dead 2 or the new assassins creed maybe?
    Yeah Ill give Red Dead a go, I was never too obsessed with the previous one like other people were though, I was a bit bored by the end. Assassins Creed is cancer and can go die in a fire with the Far Cry franchise :D

Assassins Creed is cancer

Don't knock the new one till you try it ;), sounds good.

• Advertisement

Yeah Ill give Red Dead a go, I was never too obsessed with the previous one like other people were though, I was a bit bored by the end. Assassins Creed is cancer and can go die in a fire with the Far Cry franchise :D

What's wrong with Far cry, never played it but was condering it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What's wrong with Far cry, never played it but was condering it

There's nothing wrong with Far Cry per se, but their yearly releases became tiresome. They just felt like re-skins, and got monotonous after a while. If you're going to play any of them, I recommend Far Cry 3. The best in the series imo, and especially so if you get it with the Blood Dragon DLC, best DLC i've played in quite a while (aside from The Witcher 3 of course).

Yeah Far Cry is very samey. I loved Far Cry 3 but each instalment a little less although at least I completed 5. 4 is fine and I found myself going back to it time and time again, thinking why did I ever put this down and putting it down a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Wish I had a game like this to play again, you dont realize how spoiled you are when you have a H:ZD or Breath of the Wild or God of War on the go until its over :(

Have you played Witcher 3 or Bloodborne. Not having played those games would be my idea of being spoiled . The 2 best games on the PS4 in my opinion

Yeah Ive played them and loved them, Ive played everything pretty much, AAA titles anyway, thats why Im complaining about there being a drought. I was always pc masterrace but the PS4 has been absolutely killing it this generation, cant wait to see what Horizon 2 is like. Actually its amazing to think games like Bloodborne, Horizon, God of War and a few others will probably turn into franchises with regular sequels now.

Yeah Ive played them and loved them, Ive played everything pretty much, AAA titles anyway, thats why Im complaining about there being a drought. I was always pc masterrace but the PS4 has been absolutely killing it this generation, cant wait to see what Horizon 2 is like. Actually its amazing to think games like Bloodborne, Horizon, God of War and a few others will probably turn into franchises with regular sequels now.

I believe God of War is a planned trilogy, but hints at potential future locations (Celtic, Japanese, Greek and Norse symbols on one of the paintings you find). Similarly, I reckon they've 2 more Horizon games at least (gaming likes 3, except Valve). Don't like Bloodborne, so couldn't care less about it.

But, there is a slew of games coming that should keep you going for a good while, massive games like AC:Odyssey, RDR2, Spyro Trilogy, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima (my most anticipated release), Darksiders 3, CoD and BF if you're into them, Fallout 76, Just Cause 4... I believe they're all out before the new year!

Is it confirmed there making more horizon games?

No confirmation, but it was the most successful new first-party franchise, and a commercial success, plus they left us on a cliffhanger I believe (haven't played Frozen Wilds yet). They'd be mad not to! I'd say it's a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is it confirmed there making more horizon games?

After the sales it had they ain't going to be going back making bloody Killzone next.
    I assume most first party don't studios have begun working on games aimed for the PS5 now too.

• Advertisement

Multi-year roadmap apparently, there is not a chance in hell of there never being a H:ZD 2 imo, Id bet the farm on it:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/06/18/horizon-zero-dawn-sony-major-franchise-years-of-content-planned/

Although without the excellent backstory of the disaster to discover would it be as good an experience?

I could have sworn I saw them write somewhere there wouldn't be anymore HZD content, If does come it will be next gen.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    After the sales it had they ain't going to be going back making bloody Killzone next.

Stranger things have happened ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I could have sworn I saw them write somewhere there wouldn't be anymore HZD content, If does come it will be next gen.

Stranger things have happened ;)

I think they said there wouldn't be any more DLC. Not that they wouldn't do another game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

“I hope you like fighting those Glynthawks...”

No, I bloody don’t!!! Luckily I bought the Shadow Sharpshot before I started this mission or I’d be rightly screwed, but I’m still struggling. Any tips? I just realised that I actually haven’t upgraded the bow yet and it has 3 available slots

I used to tie them down with the ropecaster and then hit them with the slingshot with either freeze or fire bombs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I used to tie them down with the ropecaster and then hit them with the slingshot with either freeze or fire bombs.

Unfortunately I didn’t have a ropecaster, I upgraded my bow through the slots and that did the trick though. Will get the Ropecaster soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I finished the game without using the ropecaster as I forgot what it did (I usually drink when I game :))

One of the best weapons in the game. I'm not sure I could have taken down Thunderjaws/Stormbirds without it.

On an absolutely not related note:

https://twitter.com/GameDesignDan/status/1107811282646900737

The main thing I loved about the game was the variety of weapons and play styles that could be utilised on the different types of machines.

Excellent game. I might have to go back and do a NG+ if I ever get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Picked this up again as it was cheap to give it another go. Last time i played it, i was level 16 and at City of the Sun main quest and just got bored. Trying it again and instantly bored again. Any tips on getting the most enjoyment out of this?

That city in the sun quest was a pain in the hole. My weapons (good bow with normal and fire arrows with a trip caster) do very little damage and i get killed very quickly. I have my best mods assigned to them. Not sure if i should be spending time upgrading other things?

I cleared a bandit camp, full stealth and i think Ubi/Far Cry do these way better. Was just very boring, no way am i doing another one of those anytime soon.

Should i stick to main quests? Search out cauldrons? On the verge of selling it again and putting it down to 'just not for me'.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Picked this up again as it was cheap to give it another go. Last time i played it, i was level 16 and at City of the Sun main quest and just got bored. Trying it again and instantly bored again. Any tips on getting the most enjoyment out of this?

That city in the sun quest was a pain in the hole. My weapons (good bow with normal and fire arrows with a trip caster) do very little damage and i get killed very quickly. I have my best mods assigned to them. Not sure if i should be spending time upgrading other things?

I cleared a bandit camp, full stealth and i think Ubi/Far Cry do these way better. Was just very boring, no way am i doing another one of those anytime soon.

Should i stick to main quests? Search out cauldrons? On the verge of selling it again and putting it down to 'just not for me'.

Sprinting by enemies rather than fighting them wherever possible (you'd be surprised how much time this saves) and ignoring most of the open world filler and just doing the story missions made it painless enough for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement