Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying appliances on the continent

• 17-03-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

I've been working in Belgium for the past few years but will be moving back to Ireland soon.

New build in Ireland is nearing completion and I was looking at appliances for kitchen and utility room. Comparing like with like, I seem to be getting more value for money here and I could ship stuff home easily enough.

So the question is, are there appliances that I should only buy in Ireland?

Obviously lightweight stuff like toasters, kettle, coffee machine etc should be fine with a mere adaptor plug.

But what about heavy duty stuff like fridges, dishwasher, washing machines and (dare I say it!) ovens? If I changed the plug, should these be ok?

It just seems like I would get better quality stuff for cheaper here. So, aside from the guarantee issue, I'm tempted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭newirishman

druss wrote: »
    I've been working in Belgium for the past few years but will be moving back to Ireland soon.

New build in Ireland is nearing completion and I was looking at appliances for kitchen and utility room. Comparing like with like, I seem to be getting more value for money here and I could ship stuff home easily enough.

So the question is, are there appliances that I should only buy in Ireland?

Obviously lightweight stuff like toasters, kettle, coffee machine etc should be fine with a mere adaptor plug.

But what about heavy duty stuff like fridges, dishwasher, washing machines and (dare I say it!) ovens? If I changed the plug, should these be ok?

It just seems like I would get better quality stuff for cheaper here. So, aside from the guarantee issue, I'm tempted.

No reason not to bring the stuff from the continent. if you change the plug, you are OK. no real difference to say a toaster...

Even warranty might not an issue - many of the more established brands offer world-wide / EU wide warranty, and often takes care directly about warranty calls rather than working via the retailer.
    If you are unlucky, you might of course have to shop the appliance back to Belgium. This is something you should be able to figure out beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

No reason not to bring the stuff from the continent. if you change the plug, you are OK. no real difference to say a toaster...

Even warranty might not an issue - many of the more established brands offer world-wide / EU wide warranty, and often takes care directly about warranty calls rather than working via the retailer.
    If you are unlucky, you might of course have to shop the appliance back to Belgium. This is something you should be able to figure out beforehand.

True with the toaster for sure. It is the heavier load stuff that is plugged in 24/7, like fridge and oven, that has me more concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I would double check if the warranty is good in Ireland. Some products are only intended for the country you buy them in.

Remember that most electrical goods sold on mainland Europe are designed to work at 220v and the voltage in Ireland is 240v, the EU harmonised the voltage at 230 volts over a decade ago, which means there should be no issues as electrical goods should be able to work between 210 - 250v. The issue may be that devices could be operating at the top of their design range if originally designed for 220v

Thanks all! Seeing as I have a container of stuff going back anyway, I might as well go that way so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Remember that most electrical goods sold on mainland Europe are designed to work at 220v and the voltage in Ireland is 240v, the EU harmonised the voltage at 230 volts over a decade ago, which means there should be no issues as electrical goods should be able to work between 210 - 250v. The issue may be that devices could be operating at the top of their design range if originally designed for 220v

A correction. the voltage in Ireland pre-harmonisation was 220V (the UK was 240V)

The actual voltage is allowed to vary within the limits set by the directive
    For electricity supplied at Low Voltage by ESB Networks, the nominal standard is 230/400 Volts, 50Hz.. ESB Networks undertakes to deliver single phase electricity within a voltage range of 207 Volts to 253 Volts. This is in accordance with European Standard EN50160.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭newirishman

There’s no significant difference in voltage across Europe, 230V is pretty much standard (incl Ireland), within a range of IIRC usually +/- 10%. This is a non issue, even more so with any newly bought devices. (Incl last 20 or so years)

Just remember to have your equipment properly installed etc. Also transportation could lead to loosened bolts and unlike when you order locally it won't be easy for you to just return the equipment.

Allow fridges etc to settle (I think the guidelines indicate approx 24 hours!) to allow the refrigerant to return properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The voltage here in my house is bang on 240V.

Just remember to have your equipment properly installed etc. Also transportation could lead to loosened bolts and unlike when you order locally it won't be easy for you to just return the equipment.

Allow fridges etc to settle (I think the guidelines indicate approx 24 hours!) to allow the refrigerant to return properly.

I was thinking I would leave them all in packaging. A bit of a risk again, but I wouldn't be using the fridge in Belgium before shipping home.

• Advertisement

A correction. the voltage in Ireland pre-harmonisation was 220V (the UK was 240V)

The actual voltage is allowed to vary within the limits set by the directive
    It was always 240V in line with the UK.

Having trouble finding information online but this document by the ESB specifically mentions 220V

https://www.esb.ie/docs/default-source/education-hub/electricity-in-the-home

But as regards the OP harmonisation as been effective for a while now and there should be no issue with modern equipment.

Having trouble finding information online but this document by the ESB specifically mentions 220V

https://www.esb.ie/docs/default-source/education-hub/electricity-in-the-home

But as regards the OP harmonisation as been effective for a while now and there should be no issue with modern equipment.
    Just for the hell of it, I measured the supply here and it's 237v, so I can only assume the ESB document referred to the first German built power station.

Just for the hell of it, I measured the supply here and it's 237v, so I can only assume the ESB document referred to the first German built power station.

Voltage at the power station is irrelevant (it's the local transformer tapping that is set for the correct voltage dependent on loads etc)

However I have found another document online dating from 1959!

https://esbarchives.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/esb-annual-reports_1958-1959.pdf
    The raising of the low tension supply voltage in Dublin
    from 346/200V to 380/220V, to standardise it with that of the
    rest of the country was completed. This standardisation will
    be of benefit to consumers and suppliers generally as special
    equipment will no longer be required for use in Dublin City

Voltage at the power station is irrelevant (it's the local transformer tapping that is set for the correct voltage dependent on loads etc)

However I have found another document online dating from 1959!

https://esbarchives.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/esb-annual-reports_1958-1959.pdf
    The 237v was measured at the socket here in the house, so obviously different regions of ESB followed different rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

No, it was not. In the past there were issues in border areas with buying appliances because of the lower voltage.

The OP should not worry though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I wouldn't bother with adaptors.

Just cut the plug and put in a three pin fused plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I wouldn't bother with adaptors.

Just cut the plug and put in a three pin fused plug.

What he said.

The 237v was measured at the socket here in the house, so obviously different regions of ESB followed different rules.

The voltage you measure at a random socket in your house is perfectly within the allowed range of supply. Nothing to do with the different regions of the ESB!

Actual voltages will depend on various factors (current being drawn, distance from transformer, cable lengths and sizes).

If you measure the voltage at various times of the day you will find variation depending on your own usage and any neighbours you have who share the same supply transformer. (the "volt drop" changes according to load)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Id have thought altering an appliance would void its warranty, ie by removing or cutting the existing plug off and refitting a type that suits where it would be used?
    I warded off the use of non CE marked extensions, European extension leads and some small appliances bought online with tenants over the years as they are not compliant with our regulations, ie didnt always have earth conductor or fuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are appliances cheaper on mainland Europe, like for like? Ireland has great consumer protection so there’s a lot to be said for buying your appliances here.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are appliances cheaper on mainland Europe, like for like? Ireland has great consumer protection so there’s a lot to be said for buying your appliances here.

Depends on brands and on when you buy. Siemens and Bosch can be a good bit cheaper. There are also pretty good July sales. I would probably make a call on it then and make a like with like comparison at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭blackbox

colm_mcm wrote: »

The cost in Ireland includes the end of life disposal cost. You might avoid this by shopping in other countries, but would be a bit mean spirited.

blackbox wrote: »
    The cost in Ireland includes the end of life disposal cost. You might avoid this by shopping in other countries, but would be a bit mean spirited.

That's EU wide, no? WEEE isn't an Irish initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

I bought a hob with a built in downdraft extractor from Germany.
    €1475 all in. 2 places only in Ireland were selling the same model, they were charging €2399.
    Manufacturers warranty is valid EU-wide.

Went and bought a TV, 2 ovens and a washing machine from a local business on St Stephen's day and haggled a very good deal. (I think!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 foxinabox

@kuang1 I'm in the same position as you. I've found a downdraft extractor in Germany for half the price of the same model here. How did you go about sourcing it?

I signed up to mailboxde but they have a 5kg limit on appliances.

Advertisement