Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champion Hurdle

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think all filly's and mares are capable of off days. They are also capable of brilliance. They can come into season or just not travel well sometimes. I felt sorry for Laurina and for all those who backed her. She was pitched in at the deep end and it didn't work out. She will be back. Annie Power had a lot more experience under her belt when she won her Champion Hurdle.

For what its worth I basically lost my bollox on Sharjah. Annoyingly I never even got a run for my money after he was brought down. I hope he is fit enough for another big run. He was very unlucky. Given the way Mullins horses are going I think he would have been in contention at the end. But I will never know for sure. I was walking around the gaff biting the bread board for a good half an hour after the race. Fuming.

But take nothing away from the winner. He stayed on his feet and stuffed the rest of them, fair and square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Leopardstown form is always overrated.

I was listening to Andy Holding talking a few weeks ago about official ratings and he said that they have the standard times at the track much too low and so invariably horses are getting very high official ratings for running slower than they would have to get a similarly high rating in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

And yet since its inception hasn’t the dublin racing festival proved an excellent pointer for cheltenham?

Would have to agree that AJ is a few lbs inferior around the track and definitely not a true two miler either. Was heavily on BD today but i have a sneaking suspicion he’d have been caught by the subsequent winner anyway had he remained upright. Interesting to hear mark walsh say afterwards he was riding for a place. Race panned out perfectly for him, but a fairly weak Ch Hur you’d have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Don't think it's a case of not liking Cheltenham. Some punters on here have claimed she had beaten nothing or horses regressing this season. I wouldn't say that myself but do feel it was a combination of that and it being a level too far for her.

She died a death today her worst performance by a mile at the course. It's not a simple case of her not liking it there.

She beat Supersundae, Faugheen, Jezki this season.

I personally think Apples Jade has been found out twice when it matters most.
    Yes she did win the Mares in 2017, but she made hard work of it. Beating Supersundae by 16L this season can be deception, but obviously the hype builds from that. Wasn't warranted it seems.

Laurina was found out aswell. She had to beat nothing, and in my opinion would have benefited from a stiffer test this season than a pointless canter in Sandown against a nothing horse where she won by 48L.

Mullins done the same thing with Douvan pre Cheltenham 2017. Why he didn't run him in either the Tingle Creek or Clarence House chase that season will always remain a mystery to me. Instead running him in two Grade 2 races where he beat nothing horses on the bridle. Went to the Champion Chase and blew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Espoir D’Allen is a lovely horse. Is underrated and was underrated before his victory

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Espoir D’Allen is a lovely horse. Is underrated and was underrated before his victory

I might be wrong on this, but I think by winning the race by 15L he now holds the record for winning the Champion Hurdle by the furthest distance in history. Might never be broken if correct.

Istabraq (1998): 12L

Insurance (1932): 12L

Rooster Booster (2003): 11L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Was happy with this haha.
    475365.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

EICVD wrote: »

Same old bulls*it excuses time after time

• Advertisement

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Same old bulls*it excuses time after time

Considering she wasn’t the only one of Gordon’s that ran below par I’d well believe it. Nobody sayings she still would of won if she was was 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Just wasn’t quick enough or good enough at that trip and track in a championship race and it couldn’t handle being hassled by Melon. It will surely be in the stayers next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

EICVD wrote: »

4 years in a row her worst run of the year has been at cheltenham. She doesn’t like the track, simple as that.

4 years in a row her worst run of the year has been at cheltenham. She doesn’t like the track, simple as that.

I agree she doesn’t like the track but her 3 other runs she was 1st, 2nd & 3rd so that’s no excuse for just how bad she ran. I’m not completely buying the Melon putting her on off story either. Wicklow Brave did the same thing at Fairyhouse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Gigginstown have never won a champion hurdle. For people to have backed their second choice for the race into favourite was just madness. It was the worst bet of the festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Gigginstown have never won a champion hurdle. For people to have backed their second choice for the race into favourite was just madness. It was the worst bet of the festival.

You do realize the fact they never won it before had zero impact on the outcome? Like seriously 😑

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

I couldn't disagree more. She won a very good Mares hurdle at 2m 5f. She is a stayer.

The pace of the champion hurdle was too quick for her and she got outpaced at the top of the hill.

As I said earlier in this thread, her form flattered to deceive. The last hurdle was removed at leopardstown in the champion hurdle which turned the race into more of a staying contest and there was no depth in that race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

BumperD wrote: »
    You do realize the fact they never won it before had zero impact on the outcome? Like seriously ��
    I mean it in the sense that they're buying horses with the breeding to jump fences and win races like the Gold Cup.

I mean it in the sense that they're buying horses with the breeding to jump fences and win races like the Gold Cup.

Still don’t get your point? She’s a super hurdler, post race scoped dirty which explains the dismal run running way below form. The can’t understand people backing her when she was destroying grade 1 opposition in Ireland doesn’t really make any sense post race , has sting hacked your account Francie it’s not like you!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

handsfree2 wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more. She won a very good Mares hurdle at 2m 5f. She is a stayer.

The pace of the champion hurdle was too quick for her and she got outpaced at the top of the hill.

As I said earlier in this thread, her form flattered to deceive. The last hurdle was removed at leopardstown in the champion hurdle which turned the race into more of a staying contest and there was no depth in that race.

Fair enough, people keep making excuses and it makes the market up for those like me who wish to oppose her.

Just for the record i think she is a brilliant horse but she doesn't run within a stone of her best at this particular track.

BumperD wrote: »
    Still don’t get your point? She’s a super hurdler, post race scoped dirty which explains the dismal run running way below form. The can’t understand people backing her when she was destroying grade 1 opposition in Ireland doesn’t really make any sense post race , has sting hacked your account Francie it’s not like you!!! :)

To be considered a super hurdler, you have to actualy go on and win a champion hurdle. She's only half the mare Annie Power was, and has now flopped two times in a row when it matters the most.

People on here seems to be making excuses for her. She's good; but she's not a super hurdler by any stretch of the imagination.

• Advertisement

Conas wrote: »
    To be considered a super hurdler, you have to actualy go on and win a champion hurdle. She's only half the mare Annie Power was, and has now flopped two times in a row when it matters the most.

People on here seems to be making excuses for her. She's good; but she's not a super hurdler by any stretch of the imagination.

It’s not an excuse. It’s a fact Conas- she scoped dirty post race. Have a read again. BTW I didn’t back her.

Also, super hurdlers can be plural, not singular. There are more than one you know? 10 grade 1’s. Achieved less than Annie power on ratings so far but not by much and has bagged more grade 1’s already , she’s a super hurdler in my book anyway
    :)

Advertisement