Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey/red squirrel hybrids?

Options
  • 12-03-2019 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Do gray and red squirrels interbreed? While walking along the slang river in Dundrum yesterday lunchtime, I spotted a grey squirrel on a branch munching on a pine cone. As I approached he turned his back to me and moved further up the tree – it was then I noticed that the hair on his back and top of the head was a distinct reddish hue – the rest of him was standard grey, and he was the size of a grey also. I dont think it was a trick of the light as it was cloudy and dull at that time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Grey squirrels often have some red colouration in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are actually not closely related and belong to different genera. Crossbreeding is extremely unlikely and, as said, greys often red colouration variations in some populations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The ones in the Botanic Gardens are quite reddish looking too. But they are 100% the grey species. Not sure if its a Dublin thing, or not.

In Britain they are all turning black apparently. Have a look at the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

recedite wrote: »
    The ones in the Botanic Gardens are quite reddish looking too. But they are 100% the grey species. Not sure if its a Dublin thing, or not.

I've seen many black greys in the US, but it's a very localised trait. Likewise in the UK, it's restricted to particular areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

recedite wrote: »

I was in Toronto over New Years, all you see are Black Squirrels

• Advertisement
Advertisement