Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good place to see salmon run

• 24-02-2019 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

I have it in my head to tick off as many viewable irish wildlife events as I can. Kind of like a personal Living the wildlife.

Can anyone recommend somewhere accessible to see a salmon run and or where they spawn and did?

I know there's a camera at the weir in galway which i'll check out in season. There's also an old video here of Salmon run at leixlip bridge. Anyone know if that's still viable?

I go to connemara a lot so would love to go up the upper stages of a river and see them in pools, or even when they die. I have a feeling that will all be on private land and heavily protected? Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

The liffey doesnt get a huge amount of salmon any more. 2 or 3 hundred if your lucky and they wouldnt all run at the same time, The river moy gets the largest run of salmon in the country i think, well into the thousands, so id look in that direction. People tend to keep quiet if they see them running as unfortunately poaching is a serious problem in this country and if they get wind of the salmon run, the nets start going across the river

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

if they get wind of the salmon run, the nets start going across the river

Ffs

Is there not a time, presumably a few weeks, when they can be seen in the upper reaches of the river, in pools and stuff? And or jumping to get into those pools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Might try the moy as head up there a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

a148pro wrote: »
    Ffs

Is there not a time, presumably a few weeks, when they can be seen in the upper reaches of the river, in pools and stuff? And or jumping to get into those pools?

Im no expert on salmon as i mainly coarse fish but heres a little i know. The reason the moy gets so many salmon is theres no obstructions like weirs blocking their path. On rivers with weirs they need rain to raise the height of the river to help them get over them, so they can reach their spawning grounds, I used to fish the liffey and only seen salmon once and that was years ago, they are there though and they do get caught. Look up the Tiernan Bros Foxford on facebook, they run a tackle shop near the moy. Ring them would be your best bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Salmon have already spawned, so you would have to wait until the end of the year to see such an event. As far as the moy is concerned you won't get to see much activity because the river is usually fairly deep, so apart from a few fish pitching, or splashing you won't see much. Maybe in Ballina around July, you may see some action around the bridge (box's), with runs of grilse, but nothing is guaranteed on any given day. It may take weeks to be there on the right time and right day. Also the Salmon species we have here don't all die after spawning like other species like tgey have in the U.S. A lot do die, but often from weakness, predation, and disease as they try to make the journey back to sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If you're ever down around west Cork the new salmon pass on the Bandon river in the town looks very impressive and should be spectacular to see when the fish are running.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rivermisty

a148pro wrote: »
    I have it in my head to tick off as many viewable irish wildlife events as I can. Kind of like a personal Living the wildlife.

Can anyone recommend somewhere accessible to see a salmon run and or where they spawn and did?

I know there's a camera at the weir in galway which i'll check out in season. There's also an old video here of Salmon run at leixlip bridge. Anyone know if that's still viable?

I go to connemara a lot so would love to go up the upper stages of a river and see them in pools, or even when they die. I have a feeling that will all be on private land and heavily protected? Anyone any ideas?

The Galway Weir is one of the best, and easiest, places to see Salmon leap. The main run of Grilse (salmon that have only spent 1 winter at sea) is in June and July. The first few hours after high tide is a good time. You'll also get to see seagulls predating on Elvers going up the eel ramp. Why they don't put a net over it I'll never know.

Advertisement