Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now ye're talking - to a Rugby Journalist

2»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17 Verified rep The42.ie: Sean

Gonad wrote: »
    Are there any great comments that you remember stand out from the The 42 comments section ?

I can't think of any off the top of my head, sorry.

Obviously, the comment section has a woeful reputation, but I think generally, there is a very different type of person chatting below the sports side of the site than there is on the news side.

There are arguments, sure. But I think regular commenters see who is genuinely giving an opinion and who is stirring to get some weird thrill.

blue note wrote: »
    This is exactly the attitude that I'd suspect is prevalent in sports journalism. Basically no interest in doping as a story, happy to assume it's all fine. While I agree that ewan McKenna and paul kimmage can be annoying when talking about it, I'd be amazed if they're not correct about the majority of it. Even David Walsh seems fed up of it now and doesn't seem to want the hassle of pursuing team sky. Cycling and athletics are known to be full of drugs, but I'd be amazed if the majority of (in particular) professional sports are not riddled with drug taking. I'd say a lot of it is abuse of TUEs. And if it's not a genuine TUE, it's no better than straightforward use of banned substances.

So my question - would you say that sports journalists in general don't actually want that story? I imagine it could make getting access to players and clubs more difficult, you'd get typecast as the journalist only interested in doping and sensationalising it, it ruins all the positive stories about whatever team winning the Heineken cup, etc. It just seems to me to be in your interest to ignore it.

Trust me, the access we get is definitely not good enough to tempt anyone to turn a blind eye.

When you say: 'you'd get typecast as the journalist only interested in doping and sensationalising it, it ruins all the positive stories' - I'd say you're spot on if, as it seems, you're asking for articles on doping that are extremely speculative hit-pieces (I think Ewan did one like that last year, actually, but it was taken down by the publication).

You're dead wrong about nobody being interested in doping as a story (Munster fans seemed to think we were all way too interested in it when the Grobler storm happened last year). Even in my original answer here I said every sport ought to be concerned. Trouble is, we can't just go tarring people with a doping tag with zero evidence.

At some point, there probably have been Irish players on PEDs, but I'd be lying if I told you I've seen the slightest evidence of it now.

It's a shame that you think all sports are riddled. Must really take the joy out of it. For me, anyway, it's very tough to watch people in competition when they have a history of doping because we know that the benefits can live on in the muscle long after the substance has passed through.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Have you read the law book in its entirety? Do you think that journalists and commentators have a duty to know the laws of the game they write about ?

No, sir. Sorry, Sir. ;)

But yeah, of course if you're covering a sport you have to know the rul... eh, laws. Or the crux of them anyway.

Now, if you were about to set me a quiz I doubt I'd confidently sit down and tell you it was 100%, but as Joe says "I'm never confident, always anxious" - been a while since I did the one on World Rugby's site.

Referees have an incredibly difficult job trying to apply the laws when bodies are flying in from all angles and constantly nudging the grey areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Doesn't sound like that would ever catch on :cool:

Don't ever try telling Andy Farrell (or Brian Carney) that! ;)

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Given the level of perpetual blandness that exists in the modern game, is it fair to say that we are still missing Simon Geoghegan ?

For those of us of a certain age, his billowing jersey and bouncing blonde locks were our first glimpse of rugby. So, of course he's missed.

Last I heard he was living a quiet life as a dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Why did the Irish rugby media turn a blind eye to the best Irish rugby scandal of the past decade? Surely the outstanding performance of the lads involved deserved an enthusiastic report?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The quality of some of the questions in this thread are embarrassingly poor and distasteful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

For those of us of a certain age, his billowing jersey and bouncing blonde locks were our first glimpse of rugby. So, of course he's missed.

Last I heard he was living a quiet life as a dentist.

Incorrect, he is a solicitor, you may not award a try. Thank you.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

We'd like to thank Sean for coming on at a very busy time in the Rugby calendar. If you'd like to chat more about all things rugby, visit the dedicated forum here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement