Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone identify this bird

Options
  • 10-03-2019 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Spotted this guy on Dodder yesterday, but am unable to identify. Photo taken on my phone is a bit far away and can't seem to save a zoom in.
    He is a bit smaller than a Grey Heron and shorter in the neck. A very good swimmer and stays under water for 2-3 mins at a time. When flying his wings are big and black, but I can't seem to find him anywhere to identify

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's a juvenile cormorant.

Edited to add... I may stand corrected... An adult cormorant in breeding plumage?
    One way or t'other, it's a cormorant, Phalocrocorax carbo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

DBB wrote: »
    It's a juvenile cormorant.

Edited to add... I may stand corrected... An adult cormorant in breeding plumage?
    One way or t'other, it's a cormorant, Phalocrocorax carbo :)

Pretty certain it's not a cormorant, having seen it flying. Wings are not at all cormorant like. They are more like a Black Heron's wings, but neck is too short to be a Heron and I don't think Heron's swim

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The beak is definitely not heron-like. Solely based on the shape there (and on some of the photos on this forum), I'd agree with DBB.

Looking again at my own photo "pretty certain it's not a Cormorant" was not the best way to put it as I am not certain at all. It does certainly look Cormorant like in the photo and it certainly could swim like one. Thanks for the reply DBB.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Advertisement

Thanks New Home. I'm out in Dublin Bay a lot and see Cormorants and Shags all the time. Possibly, seeing this guy in an unusual location is throwing me. Unfortunately I didn't get a shot of him flying, but it's his wings that puzzle me, they seemed a lot chunkier than a Cormorants, but I will go with Cormorant for the moment

Maybe it was flying on a full belly. :pac: :):p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Adult Cormorant in breeding plumage!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Spotted this guy on Dodder yesterday, but am unable to identify. Photo taken on my phone is a bit far away and can't seem to save a zoom in.
    He is a bit smaller than a Grey Heron and shorter in the neck. A very good swimmer and stays under water for 2-3 mins at a time. When flying his wings are big and black, but I can't seem to find him anywhere to identify
    Cormorant,,,,20 plus regularly on the River Lee ( Lee fields,) common

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thanks New Home. I'm out in Dublin Bay a lot and see Cormorants and Shags all the time. Possibly, seeing this guy in an unusual location is throwing me. Unfortunately I didn't get a shot of him flying, but it's his wings that puzzle me, they seemed a lot chunkier than a Cormorants, but I will go with Cormorant for the moment

There's been a significant influx of cormorants further and further inland in my lifetime... It's not at all unusual to see them in lakes and larger rivers way, way inland.
    From what I've seen, they particularly like to hunt around weirs as they use the wall of the weir to herd their fishy prey up against, making them easier to catch... That, and many fish species like to hang out in the deeper, stiller pooled water on the upstream side of the weir. More for the picking for Mr. Cormorant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

That is one of the cormorants from the Chimney down by the dropping well some of them have that distinct white patch on their leg.
    They regularly fish that spot fly up river, fishing down stream rest on the weir as in your picture then repeat.

Advertisement