Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

possible monitor repairs?

• 04-03-2019 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Im pre-emptively thinking on restorations and repairs. Ive always avoided anything to do with monitors, and I may continue to do so!

So i'm wondering if anyone can recommend a guy to repair/refurbish some monitors here in Ireland.

Models are Sharp XM1801's, hantarex polo 25"'s and sanyo 20's.

Problems, if any, are unknown yet (perhaps one needs a new flyback installed). But I have no problem loading them into a car and showing up at someones door :)

Do you like money? Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president these monitors?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

haha ive always sent mine to grant in the UK and never had an issue. I dont know anyone who does it over here except for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I've at least 4 chassis that need repair, I've attempted 2 and so far haven't had any luck :(
    I am considering sending 2 off to Grant

If he ever retires we are all screwed haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

haha ive always sent mine to grant in the UK and never had an issue. I dont know anyone who does it over here except for themselves.

Did it cost much?

I imagine its not the most economical, especially if youre talking monitor + chassis.

There must be at least one (possibly evil) monitor genius in the country, no? BGollie has blinded me with science in the past, maybe he's evil too?

I've at least 4 chassis that need repair, I've attempted 2 and so far haven't had any luck :(
    I am considering sending 2 off to Grant

Im noticing a pattern already :P

• Advertisement

beejee wrote: »
    Did it cost much?

I imagine its not the most economical, especially if youre talking monitor + chassis.

There must be at least one (possibly evil) monitor genius in the country, no? BGollie has blinded me with science in the past, maybe he's evil too?

you just need to send him the chassis, they don't weigh a lot

Yeh as cathal says just the chasis, its been a few years since i sent mine over, at the time i used AnPost tracked, but i think a cheaper option might be to send it to the UK via parcelmotel now.

Yeh as cathal says just the chasis, its been a few years since i sent mine over, at the time i used AnPost tracked, but i think a cheaper option might be to send it to the UK via parcelmotel now.

I think you can send it DPD for €15-20 tracked/insured, its a service where you drop it to a local pickup point.

you just need to send him the chassis, they don't weigh a lot

I want to be sure of the tubes too. For instance my radar scope may need serious degaussing, and I don't want to bother buying one of those wands/rings (though it looks cool and magician-like to use!)

But I may be wrong, maybe that IS related to the chassis as well? Im far from knowledgeable on monitors!

Yeh thats sounds like a good option, i dont really remember now but i think i paid 30 if not near it at the time with AnPost. They where perfect when they came back though. He fixed the chasis out of my Time Crisis and another smaller crt i have in the Generic cab i put the Donkey artwork on.

• Advertisement

I want to be sure of the tubes too. For instance my radar scope may need serious degaussing, and I don't want to bother buying one of those wands/rings (though it looks cool and magician-like to use!)

But I may be wrong, maybe that IS related to the chassis as well? Im far from knowledgeable on monitors!

You should get one of those they are dirt cheap and handy, though the green ones you can get tend to go funny, i got a shock off one before, also i know this sounds mad but i had an issue before with weird colours on a cab and it was down to the direction it was pointing! if i turned it around it was fine, something to do with the earths magnetic pull or some mad science.

It would cost you a fortune to send the tube over id say! plus the chances of it getting even more damaged would be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Every arcade/CRT enthusiast should have a good degaussing wand in their toolbox, they are invaluable.

Stay away from those cheap China made green yolks and keep an eye out for ex TV repair shop ones. I bought an amazing NOS one from the UK for a tenner a couple of years ago. (He had loads, I shout have bought the lot!)

I remember that, i should have bought one, dont know why i didnt!

Also its always worth mentioning, if you havent discharged a crt before to remove the chasis make sure you look up how to do it safely, they can hold a charge even when powered off.

Master of the Universe

This is the guy who was selling them, might be worth keeping an eye out;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/leapark97/m.html?item=233123630854&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭geotrig

You'd be mad to send to whole monitor and you'd still need to get it degaussed once back with you I'd say.
    Grant is your best bet, his about 60 ish for cap change if is a chassis he repairs/ can repair. There is definitely 1-2 more vac heads that could possibly fix as well.

Master of the Universe

Yeah sure you'd run the risk of destroying the tube in transport, they don't travel well.

There's no reason at all to send it really, only the chassis.

I sent a chassis off to grant where the monitor was totally shagged - came back looking brand new.

Are you around Dublin at all? You can have a lend of my wand (oooh errr) when the chassis come back if you need to give them a manual degauss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Collecting a chassis from my Sony tomorrow. One of my friends dad's is a TV repair guy. I'll ask him about degaussing, he might have a cheap method to do it? Or even a spare wand.

I've seen guys with speaker magnets hooked up to drills and other mad stiff like that

Master of the Universe

You can use a corded drill alright.

Another thing you can do is salvage a degaussing coil from another old crappy CRT and make one out of that.

Guide for that here;

http://mirrors.arcadecontrols.com/OscarControls/degauss/index.shtml

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah sure you'd run the risk of destroying the tube in transport, they don't travel well.

There's no reason at all to send it really, only the chassis.

I sent a chassis off to grant where the monitor was totally shagged - came back looking brand new.

Are you around Dublin at all? You can have a lend of my wand (oooh errr) when the chassis come back if you need to give them a manual degauss.

Appreciate offer, but Im starting to think of doing too much at once! I need to concentrate on one machine at a time otherwise I'll get neck deep in it :p

Collecting a chassis from my Sony tomorrow. One of my friends dad's is a TV repair guy. I'll ask him about degaussing, he might have a cheap method to do it? Or even a spare wand.

I've seen guys with speaker magnets hooked up to drills and other mad stiff like that

I'll leave that radar scope until last, get some early victories with easier stuff first. I have a feeling that one is going to be a real job! (hopefully not)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

o1s1n wrote: »
    Another thing you can do is salvage a degaussing coil from another old crappy CRT and make one out of that.
    Guide for that here;
    http://mirrors.arcadecontrols.com/OscarControls/degauss/index.shtml

did that a while back. works great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I bought one of them wands, still in its box , least I have it I guess. Can't remember who recommended it.

Advertisement