Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boards.ie Quick and Dirty Renting Guide

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Mr. A wrote: »
    Dipping into the renting pool for the first time in a few years. Many friends tell me it is best to work with landlords then real estate agents... more of a generalisation fair to say? I'd imagine there's bad apples on both sides of it.

You can generally judge for yourself how you think the situation will work out if you meet the landlord. In my experience, only once have I had a good outcome while going through an agent. An agent has no responsibility if anything goes wrong with the rental property or the agreement.
    Saying that, it is hard to find a place that is not handled by an agent these days.

Also, I wouldn't really consider it a 'bad apple' situation. If a landlord has ground rules, stipulations etc, that is up to them, but at least you will know about it upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

Hi there - am looking for some advice...
    Renting a room in my own house for the first time via daft...have always rented previously to friends.
    What are the sorts of things I should check out? Think. I have a good 'gut' instinct but want to avoid any pitfalls.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Renting a room in my own house for the first time via daft...have always rented previously to friends.
    What are the sorts of things I should check out? Think. I have a good 'gut' instinct but want to avoid any pitfalls.
    Thanks!

One of my big things was working hours. If someone works opposite hours to you or shifts, it was an impact on bills as the house is occupied more. Also if they're in a relationship, or if there's a chance they'll be in one, establish ground rules on overnights from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Usernemises

Thanks!

I have lived with a few lads that had taken a few weeks to come out of their shells, wasn't nice at all. Tread carefully when going with the gut, if in any doubt dont let them into your home. Other than that its the same advice as previous poster, establish rules for guests early and what hours are worked. Nothing worse than having some house cat lying on the couch all weekend when all you want to do is watch some tv in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

athtrasna wrote: »
    One of my big things was working hours. If someone works opposite hours to you or shifts, it was an impact on bills as the house is occupied more. Also if they're in a relationship, or if there's a chance they'll be in one, establish ground rules on overnights from the start.

Does saying 2 overnight stays from partners per week (one weeknight & one weekend) seem reasonable? Good to get these things settle first off, you are right!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does saying 2 overnight stays from partners per week (one weeknight & one weekend) seem reasonable? Good to get these things settle first off, you are right!

To be honest- putting in a clause like this in a licence agreement- makes you come across as a control freak- and in addition- for some people- it would be a target, rather than a limit.

Having something vague along these lines might work better-

"Guests must be cleared with (insert home owner's name) in advance- and at least 2 days in advance if they are planning on staying over. In addition- a licensee may not have guests stay over on more than 2 consecutive nights, and no more than 4 instances in any calendar month"...........

(Ok- its not vague- but it stops people taking the piss- and it minimises the risk of random strangers in various states of undress being encountered first thing in the morning........)

I'd also be certain to put detailed instructions on how the heating system for the property works- alongside the immersion heater- if you have one, for water- and plaster signs around the place telling people to turn things off after themselves. You'd be amazed how what you might consider to be bleeding obvious- just isn't obvious at all, to some folk..........

Separate food presses for the person sharing with you- and an agreement on a weekly pot for general household consumables (toilet paper, washing powder, washing up liquid (or tablets), cleaning stuff etc etc)

A rota for a good clean of the house at least once a month.

Monthly rent- to be paid directly into your account on a particular date (the first of the month/the first working day of the month etc etc) There is nothing worse that having to chase people for money. If they set up a standing order for the duration- it'll probably make life easier for both of you. In any event- its not a good idea to carry around a couple of hundred Euro in cash- and it'll save both time and effort for both of you if its automated (not to mention- you'll have a good paper trail for your tax return- and you do have to declare it- even if you have no tax due on it).

Etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

A while ago I posted about a "renters cv" and have been asked many times about what it should contain, so its probably easier to start a thread on it.

I am not a landlord anymore in the RTB sense of the word, so maybe those who are actually following that side of it more closely can add better content than I can, but i'll give it a whirl to start the ball rolling.

When you contact a landlord by email you should attach a "Renters CV" to it, so that he can include you in his shortlist for viewing.
    If email isnt the first contact then tell him you have one and whats in it on the phone and bring it to viewing and hand him a copy to take home and shortlist you.

Here is what I would be looking for.
    State who youll be living with and for all parties provide the following details.

Usual details like.
    Name
    Phone number
    Where you live / are from

Then add in the detail that will separate you from the crowd like.
    Last 3 landlords refs (minimum) and their numbers.
    How long you were living at each property and reason for leaving.
    Work refs.
    Bank statements.
    If you require HAP.

Mod edit: always be careful when sending private data. It is usually preferable to give this in person so you know it isn't a scam.

Then stick in a cover letter about yourself. Where you are from, where you work, how long youve worked there, why you are moving, how great you are and how you would look after the place, like you have never had to call your previous landlords about anything minor etc. Basically tell them all the good things about yourself.

The landlord will ask your referees about the following so if you fell out with any of them of did any of the following, now is the chance to provide a reason. If you dont, the landlord will just throw your application in the bin when he talks to the refs and asks them the question.

So a bit stating if you always paid rent on time, if you missed it, why you missed it. If you used or tried to use the last months rent as deposit, why did you do this. If you withheld rent, why?

Wrap it all up into a nice PDF or word doc and attach it to your email contacting the landlord. Have copies to hand landlords at viewings or to hand agents.

So now hopefully you are in a position that your landlord will keep you in the shortlist and then call your refs. When you pass that you will be invited to the viewing. Or some people might want more at a viewing and only ring refs afterwards. Just depends what way they like to do it. But your CV has covered most of the questions they will be asking and make you look good, and make them remember you, so you make the shortlist. Then if they do decide to meet you, it means that they are cool with letting to you and you just have to turn up and not turn out to be a dick.

After that theyll call in order of preference to offer the property.

Its all about making yourself the preferred tenant. Im sure there is much more, but having all that info at hand when whittling down the sheer amount of contacts is very helpful to a landlord and they will appreciate you doing it far more than having to put effort into finding out all this info.

Others, who are more current, can add to this list, or perhaps suggest better ways of singling out your application than I have.

If its a renters market you wouldnt have to do all this, but the sheer numbers at viewings now or making first contact will be exhausting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Just looking for a little advice. Recently moved into a new place where the previous tenant had lived for four years. On the surface the place looked great; spacious, relatively clean etc. After living here a few weeks some issues have cropped up, and I'm wondering how "far" I can go towards getting them sorted. All relate to appliances.

The washing machine initially wasn't working; blocked filter, fixed easily. Now it is evident that the pressure to the machine isn't strong enough, and there is deposits of dirt (looks like pieces of dirty rubber) present after I cleaned the machine. Every 20/30 mins an error message is displayed, and this interrupts a wash.

The fridge isn't cold enough (dial is near max coldness - deposits of ice building up at the back); milk goes sour in under three days, fruit starts to smell overnight. All of the shelves on the inside of the door are broken and can't hold any weight. The freezer seems fine.

The landlord was happy to send out a plumber to look at the washing machine, and he noticed the low water pressure issue. He seemed to think that the problem went deeper than the washing machine.

I haven't addressed the issues above with my landlord yet, but how far can I go? It appears that the fridge needs to be replaced, but I can't see him wanting to shell out for a new fridge. Is it a case that I just have to suck it up and deal with the faulty appliances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

No, you are entitled to have a fridge that cools. You are entitled to have a washer that washes (and you should also have a means to dry clothes, either an outdoor drying area or a dryer).

These are actually pretty straightforward things for a landlord to sort out. Through the magic of Power City, a washer and a fridge-freezer can be replaced, including fitting and removal of the old units for under 800 euros. It is less than a month's rent for the landlord. Just sending the plumber out to look at the machine will have cost the landlord 80 euros, which may well turn out to have been a waste of money. It is just not worth wasting time fixing these things if they are more than a couple of years old.

It could well be that your water pressure is low and that is causing the problem. Does the error code that comes up indicate this sort of problem? It wouldn't cause the problem with the rubber that you are describing.

If there is ice in your fridge, it may be that the door isn't closing properly. It may or may not be possible to fix this, but it is worth a try.

It be that the the appliances are just worn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

No, you are entitled to have a fridge that cools. You are entitled to have a washer that washes (and you should also have a means to dry clothes, either an outdoor drying area or a dryer).

Thanks antoinolachtnai. Got a small thermometer for the fridge yesterday and at its coldest setting it’s registering 10 degrees Celsius. The seals look new, so it’s possible they are aware of the issue and tried to mend it for the previous tenant.

Error messages do back up the low water pressure issue. The plastic was blocking the filter, and that was causing another issue. After another deep clean yesterday, the dirt should be gone.

I’ll get onto the landlord tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Just remember with fridges: the higher the number the more it cools! So five would be the coldest and a one would be the warmest. Seems counterintuitive but that’s the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 AvaSatiVaLomu

Do people who have dogs mention it in their property enquiries? I've been flat out trying to find a place to rent for weeks, applying to every place in Dublin that's circa 2k, and either hearing nothing back or getting ghosted as soon as I mention dogs (My girlfriend has two highly-trained, quiet dogs). I've never tried to rent a place with dogs involved before. I don't know whether I'm being naive mentioning the animals up front or whether people normally just keep it to themselves and move in. Still, there's an accommodation crisis on, so maybe my frustration just stems from the lack of any available housing in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Dirty toilet just walk out, one mistake I made was thinking the smell of fresh gloss was a good sign in our case it was anything but good. It was masking the smell of damp, no sooner moved in we'd a slug infestation coming from behind the skirting once the heating was turned on. First weekend I killed 26 slugs in the living room.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Lease on our house expires in Jan 24, landlord has mentioned about selling the house, not officially yet, just mentioned it. To be fair, said we could have first refusal, but we don't know we want it right now.

Can he just ask us to leave at the end of the lease, or does he still need to give the required notice (180 days)?

You wont have to move out when the lease expires, the landlord needs to give you notice officially and the notice period will depend on how long you've been there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thanks, we're there 2.5 years so far, so assume we have the 180 days even after the lease expires so. Good stuff 👍

Advertisement