Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest sports achievements as a child.

• 22-03-2019 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi all extremely random topic to cover but what was your greatest sports achievements as a kid?.

Mine was a soccer tournament when I was about 16where I ended up picking the worst team of misfits ever it was like the left overs that no one else wonted.

There was something like 12 times in this school tournament. Game one we some how won. Game two the same. Game 3 the last game in the group we where playing a team made up of players from the schools football team and some how I scored two goals in this match one goal was that I got passed the ball turned around and kicked and scored this amazing goal.

Then some how we where in in the final and lost by 1 goal or so but to me we where a team of misfits, we could not even work out who could be a goalkeeper or who should play where but some how we where able to play with each other.

So what is eveyones else's?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Were ye from Renford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

I drank a glass of guinness and threw my knife and fork on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Mine was winning the Kidney Cup over CBC in Thomond Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

When I won the World Cup as a 17 year old in 1958.

I was just a misfit that somehow made the squad and scores twice in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Winning a bronze medal in throwing the javelin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

One day I managed to not get caught playing chasing.

That's about as good as it got for me. I was so scrawny and weak my sister could beat me up with words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,682 ✭✭✭This is it

3rd in an under 5s egg and spoon race. Pretty sure 1st and 2nd had their eggs glued to the spoon. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Early 70's. Hampered by Flared trousers and clumpy shoes, I turned on a sixpence on wet ground and slipped my chaser (who went down like a sack of spuds) and freed six kids in a game of Relievio.

It is still spoken of to this day, with reverence and awe, by those who witnessed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I always won the 100m sprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Early 70's. Hampered by Flared trousers and clumpy shoes, I turned on a sixpence on wet ground and slipped my chaser (who went down like a sack of spuds) and freed six kids in a game of Relievio.

It is still spoken of to this day, with reverence and awe, by those who witnessed it.

Father Lorenzo made me play a completely different game of relievio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Father Lorenzo made me play a completely different game of relievio

Apt username so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sack race when I was four. Never did get the prize of that red toy truck :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Joined the local U14 team and first game, came on as a sub with 20 minutes to go. Took a pass, chested it down and smashed it into the top corner to win 2-1.

Whole team thought I was amazing and like a young local Solskjaer. Unfortunately they soon realised I was a bandy legged donkey that just got lucky in my first game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Scored a "golden hat trick" (left foot, right foot, header) in an 11 a side game against the estate down the road, which we'd do once a week or so in the summer.
    I was easily the worst of my friends and for years afterwards even if we were playing nods and volleys they'd all try to match it.

To make it better the left footed goal, being my weakest side was the pick of the lot, proper Ray Houghton style goal vs Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I won an egg and spoon race hands down, (we used to use potatoes) - my mam picked a potato that just fit perfectly into the spoon, and basically walked over the finish line while everyone else was scrambling around picking up their spuds ! :D

Gold medal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not the greatest but definitely memorable.

First ever hat-trick and my only ever red card in the same game. Cup match against Fatima Boys iirc. Match ended up finishing early, war over my sending off as I effectively got the card for nearly getting punched - bloke ran up behind me and swung one but still managed to miss (a bit like the Grealish incident last week), I continued to walk away with a "wtf" look on my face. Then I just remember lads with horses on the pitch. Ah fun times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

I swam a mile front crawl when I was 10 to get my gold swimming badge. Apart from swimming I was Shiite at sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Mine was winning the Kidney Cup over CBC in Thomond Park

St Munchin's old boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Got a skateboard even though I was useless at it, was wobbling down the road on it one day trying not to fall off, almost did fall off but instead of falling I somehow accidentally turned it into a triple kickflip and landed it! I was the talk of the road that day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

banie01 wrote: »
    St Munchin's old boy?

Pres I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Pres I reckon

I hope not :P
    But seriously, if he was a Noughties student that Munchins side was very good ;)
    I had the misfortune to lose senior and junior finals to Pres!
    Hate Pres! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Was about 16 at the time. Not that great at soccer but I was selected to be part of the misfits team. The funniest thing about this team was the constant arguments over who wanted to be the goalkeeper. The foibles of youth I tell you.

Anyway, we were in our third game and I saw an opening for a team member and passed him the ball. The guy did this quick turn around and booted the ball in the general direction of the goal and miraculously scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

aged fourteen won school basketball trophy, though I was on the same team as Ollie Murphy who was later to become a Meath GAA legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Our team won couple underage titles in Gaelic.

I represented Ireland underage in a fairly obscure sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭kal7

won a cup for athletics best athlete at primary school in 5th class beating those in sixth class.

I think it was because they asked how many events you wanted to do, on a form, and I wrote down six.

So probably just did more than anyone else.

Won High jump and 200m, second in long jump and shot putt, third in 1500m and javelin.

Only ever been average at any sport since, peaked too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

We won the Sciath Na Scoil in Football in Primary. A knockout tournament between Cork schools with the Final in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. It has been running since 1903.

I won the Boys 80 metre Sprint in the Cork City sports in 4th and 6th class in Pairc Ui Chaoimh.
    We missed the whole thing in 5th class due to crazy traffic on the way. Denied a hat-trick of wins.
    In the county final (the one where you win an Actual cup) I was running barefoot on grass and left for dead against lads in spikes.

Won silver medal at the Community Games in 1992 in Soccer. Our team was comprised of the two best local schoolboys teams (Blarney St United and St Mary's). We blitzed through the qualifiers but we lost in a penalty shoot-out against Kildare in the final. We were all gutted. Won a litany of League and Cup trophies with Blarney St United. I never got a Kennedy cup trial for the Cork team, I was disappointed but wasn't surprised. My older brother did and he was always a fantastic footballer. He once scored 8 goals in a match, the kind of thing that peaks the interest of scouts. He played for Ireland under age (14's and 16's) and got trials in England with Arsenal (then League Champions) and West Ham. We were both too soft and molly coddled. He never developed the cut-throat attitude required nor the actual interest in becoming a professional. He played with the skill of a Dennis Bergkamp but lacked the psychopathic zeal of a Roy Keane who once said he would have "swum across the Irish sea for a trial". If he had the interest and was lucky to remain injury free he would have been successful, he was that good.

My personal favourite was the last school sports day in Primary school in 1993. We had a sort of decathlon event which comprised of a range of egg and spoon race, sprint, sack race etc. The last event was a run of 10 laps of the school boundary (circa 300 meters per lap). I was the fastest runner in the school but I deliberately stayed at the back of the pack biding my time. I already won the overall event but coming round the bend on the last lap, I sprinted ahead to victory. It was a lovely way to finish primary school getting a perpetual trophy looking like Michael Phelps with all the Gold medals around my neck.

I then went to Secondary school which was a Gaelscoil with a laser like focus on exams and never ran in a race thereafter. It was in the North Mon and if you didn't play hurling, which I didn't, that was that. "No Sport for you!"

valoren wrote: »
    We won the Sciath Na Scoil in Football in Primary. A knockout tournament between Cork schools with the Final in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. It has been running since 1903.

I won the Boys 80 metre Sprint in the Cork City sports in 4th and 6th class in Pairc Ui Chaoimh.
    We missed the whole thing in 5th class due to crazy traffic on the way. Denied a hat-trick of wins.
    In the county final (the one where you win an Actual cup) I was running barefoot on grass and left for dead against lads in spikes.

Won silver medal at the Community Games in 1992 in Soccer. Our team was comprised of the two best local schoolboys teams (Blarney St United and St Mary's). We blitzed through the qualifiers but we lost in a penalty shoot-out against Kildare in the final. We were all gutted. Won a litany of League and Cup trophies with Blarney St United. I never got a Kennedy cup trial for the Cork team. My brother was always a fantastic footballer. He played for Ireland under age and got trials in England. We were both too soft, molly coddled. He never had the cut-throat attitude required nor the actual interest in becoming a professional. He played with the skill of a Dennis Bergkamp and if he was blessed with the psychopathic zeal of a Roy Keane and was lucky to remain injury free he would have been successful.

My personal favourite was the last school sports day in Primary school. We had a sort of decathlon event which comprised of a range of egg and spoon race, sprint, sack race etc. The last event was a run of 10 laps of the school boundary (circa 300 meters per lap). I was the fastest runner in the school but I deliberately stayed at the back of the pack biding my time. I already won the overall event but coming round the bend on the last lap, I sprinted ahead to victory. It was a lovely way to finish primary school getting the Cup looking like Michael Phelps with all the Gold medals around my neck.

I then went to Secondary school which was a Gaelscoil with a laser like focus on exams and never ran in a race thereafter. It was in the North Mon and if you didn't play hurling, which I didn't, that was that.

I must have just been after you, they changed the "Long Race" for 6th class to be a lap of the lower field, then the adjacent field and up onto the top pitch. There was some amount of lads that gave up on that hill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

razorblunt wrote: »
    I must have just been after you, they changed the "Long Race" for 6th class to be a lap of the lower field, then the adjacent field and up onto the top pitch. There was some amount of lads that gave up on that hill!

This was the route we ran. 10 laps. When you're 12 it was like a Marathon :pac:

476037.JPG

valoren wrote: »
    This was the route we ran. 10 laps. When you're 12 it was like a Marathon :pac:

476037.JPG

Ah I misread, sorry, I assumed you were in the Mon Primary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The winning goal in a match of 'Class 7 v The Rest' in primary school. Granted my goal was only one of where we won 21-2, but it contributed to the winning scoreline.

Advertisement