Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend at the hairdressers/Barbers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

storker wrote: »
    He's just got a new customer, then. I pass there between Pearse Station and the office every day. I had been going to the Grafton Barber on Baggot St, at €18 for a dry cut, which seems a lot when I could get it in my home town for €10, but that means a Saturday, and queuing. This week I found out that the Grafton Barber has put the price of a dry cut up to €21. In my book that's too much to pay, even for convenience.

I've only ever got my hair cut once in the Grafton Barber (it wasn't the one on Grafton Street though) and the hair cut was awful. The young lad doing it was more interested in getting me coffee than cutting my hair. I've never been back since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Nope, it's a place in Sandyford

I'm in Sandyford and would definitely be willing to pay the couple quid extra for somewhere reliable without the queuing lottery.
    Want to share the name/give them a plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

14 euro and a 2 euro tip every 2 to 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I'm in Sandyford and would definitely be willing to pay the couple quid extra for somewhere reliable without the queuing lottery.
    Want to share the name/give them a plug?

It's Choppers Barbers in the industrial estate. They are above a gym (Southside Strength and Fitness)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I go to the barbers once a month at 20 quid a go. The good thing about the barber I use is that you can't walk in off the street and queue, you must book in via their website, so you get a time slot and there is no hanging around

Just out of interest what do you get done for €20?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I pay 38 euros for a haircut, and will leave a 7 euro tip to my barber. That's for a consultation, wash, cut, and dry. I consider it extremely good value considering the quality of the cut I receive. I also enjoy having a good chat with my barber. I've been visiting the same guy for the past 8 years, and I'm always guaranteed to get a really good cut that has me looking my best.

I really cannot understand the mentality of someone who would skimp on a haircut, and end up looking like they got it cut by the barber in Mountjoy Prison. Usually the same sorts of fools who would think nothing of spending 80 euro on a computer game, or 100 euro drinking jägerbombs. Irish men usually aren't blessed with good looks, but a good haircut can certainly help -one that suits the shape of your head and your age can work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sarac87

€160 ish every 3 months for full head of highlights, toner and cut 🙈

I pay 38 euros for a haircut, and will leave a 7 euro tip to my barber. That's for a consultation, wash, cut, and dry. I consider it extremely good value considering the quality of the cut I receive. I also enjoy having a good chat with my barber. I've been visiting the same guy for the past 8 years, and I'm always guaranteed to get a really good cut that has me looking my best.

I really cannot understand the mentality of someone who would skimp on a haircut, and end up looking like they got it cut by the barber in Mountjoy Prison. Usually the same sorts of fools who would think nothing of spending 80 euro on a computer game, or 100 euro drinking jägerbombs. Irish men usually aren't blessed with good looks, but a good haircut can certainly help -one that suits the shape of your head and your age can work wonders.

Isn't that a bit tight?
    Why don't you just leave him a €50 note and tell him to keep the change?

What kind of cut do you recommend us Irish men to get?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Isn't that a bit tight?

We shouldn't get our hair cut and let the long hair cover our hideousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Isn't that a bit tight?

Depends on the shape of your head and also how much hair you have to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

markc1184 wrote: »
    €20, €15 for hair and beard and €5 tip. Try to not let it go beyond 5 weeks between visits.

33% tip!! Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Isn't that a bit tight?

What sort of head have you? Do you look vaguely like a turnip with buck teeth and oversized ears? Or a chin you could use to drill for oil? It depends. I'd recommend you visit a barber who knows more about his craft than a blade all round or scissors all round. I'm not the man to ask. I'm a highly-skilled finance professional, not a barber.

What sort of head have you? Do you look vaguely like a turnip with buck teeth and oversized ears? Or a chin you could use to drill for oil? It depends. I'd recommend you visit a barber who knows more about his craft than a blade all round or scissors all round. I'm not the man to ask. I'm a highly-skilled finance professional, not a barber.

A flurry of garden shears to the crown and you're ready for the French Foreign Legion. Building resilience after a misspent adulthood weaving elaborate fantasies from a dimly-lit basement.

Thanks for the advice.
    I already visist a good barber that I'm happy with. Most barbers generally use a mixture of clippers/blade and scissors that I know.

Thanks for letting know your job. I actually thought I might have known you. Your style reminds me of the men travelling around rural Ireland selling gates and tools from door to door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

18 for a cut and and beard trim every month or so.

I'm a highly-skilled finance professional, not a barber.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

€10.

Do you tip? If not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,422 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

€22 for a wash, cut and dry. €5 tip for the barber after.

Could never understand the mindset of guys going into some place paying someone a fiver to shear them bald. Can only assume they just don’t care about their appearance.

22.7% tip is ridiculous.

This is not America.

The barber is well paid you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

€0. Well, 11 years ago this month I got my hair cut for my wedding. I've done it myself before and since then. It's curly do it's easier to make it look relatively ok. Plan on going all out and getting a professional to do it sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I went for a €50 consultation and cut from a stylist last year and honestly ended up with the exact same haircut as is been getting from barbers.
    I had asked wife to get me a voucher for birthday as thought out could be a nice treat and try give me some tips or a complete change. Let my hair grow a decent bit before hand so they'd have something to work with, and on the end she asked what I normally got and effectively did that.

I think I got a coffee, but it didn't justify the mark - up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Tenner...and a 2 euro tip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭AllForIt

For the last few years , zero. I've been doing it myself at home with a clippers. Not just a simple no.3 all over either but can style it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

Dublin City centre: about every two months. Last cut and colour was €101 with a €10 discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

35 wash, cut and blow dry. I have a Pixie though, so I'm charged a bit less.

Either 10 euro or 17 euro depending on which barber I go to, its normally the 17 euro one as its hander to get to. Get a a hair cut about every 6 weeks, really need it once every 4 weeks but never get around to it.
    Crock Rock wrote: »

I certainly don’t tip because it’s an idiotic practice. Nobody tips me in my job, I get paid my salary so why the hell should I tip people for doing the job they are paid to do. Same goes for restaurants, taxis etc they are paid to do their job and and I pay for the service, tipping can feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

22e every 2nd fri. Could go to a cheaper place could leave it every 3 or 4 weeks but I like my hair looking well.

Had the hair long for a good number of years and would cut it myself so never spent anything in barbers,i guess im making up for it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 binana

I went from shoulder length to a pixie cut earlier this year, and ladies I highly recommend cutting all your hair off. The initial cut cost €60 with consultation included, but since then it costs less than half the price for maintainence trims. The time savings in showering/styling add up too! I might try a barbers next though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Crock Rock wrote: »

No I don't tip. It's a one man owner operated concern. He has his price list and I pay accordingly. Although I don't take the €1 OAP discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Weird, just back from the coiffeur and saw this thread. €12. Dubliner, so €2 tip. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

€70ish at the hairdresser every 2-3 months for cut and colour.

And €15 at the barber every 3 weeks to get my undercut shaved.

Advertisement