Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think dreams actually mean anything?

Options
  • 10-03-2019 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭

There is a school of though that dreams are hidden messages or if you dream this, it means that. Even a brief Google turns up lots of searches for all manner of random dreams. But I now believe that they really don't mean a thing- its all the little random things your brain processed during the day spitting out in a meaningless set of images, people or events.

Do you think dreaming means anything to your current life or is it just meaningless?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

"Dreams are the psyche's way of taking a good dump every now and then"

Stephen King

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Far from meaningless. They are our thoughts, they exist. Thoughts are where ideas come from. Ideas are the fundamental forward pushing basis for our existence. I love dreams.
    An auld wander through the Astral Plane in the 4th Dimension. Its free and naturally accessible.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Most of the time my dreams are just a rehash of tv shows I’ve watched or things I’ve worried about during the day. I even have the dream where I’m rushing to an exam but keep getting delayed a few times a year even though I’ve left school years ago. Sometimes though I dream about my dad who died a few years ago. He’s always happy in my dreams and those dreams are pure magic.

Our subconscious is telling us something.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I think dreams are definitely communicating something with us about our psychological or emotional selves. It's an expression of the subconscious without the narrow limitations of consciousness. The idea that they are in any way predictive or foretelling is ludicrous, of course, but I do believe we can learn a lot from our dreams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,020 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Absolutely. I should just go ahead and ask Natalie Dormer out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Unless they're about tits or cake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Have you ever noticed how often the word 'dream' appears in song lyrics? (I'm doing a PhD on this)

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Have you ever noticed how often the word 'dream' appears in song lyrics? (I'm doing a PhD on this)
    Well, I feel less guilty about taking university funding to do a largely fruitless phd now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, I feel less guilty about taking university funding to do a largely fruitless phd now.

It's OK to feel inadequate next to greatness. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rehearsing flight, freeze or flee responses for when you face a predator on the African plains.

Or garbage collection as in an attempt to reclaim garbage, or memory occupied by objects that are no longer in use by programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

telling us not to eat before bedtime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Good thing about dreams, no laws and no rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ellie_is_a conniving little_bitch bitch!

I used to get a recurring dream that I was walking around school in my stocking feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dinner Lady

I often dream I am travelling somewhere far away and am packing way too much. I haven't been on a holiday in years

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ellie_is_a conniving little_bitch bitch!

I'm starting to practise lucid reaming.

If something weird or illogical starts happening in my mind, I'll pinch my nose and breath.
    If I can breath, then I'll start doing what I want in my dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I remeber a lot of dreams about my geography teacher as a young lad. Many a stain was left on my jocks in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I remember that I have dreamt, but for the life of me it just disappears when I wake up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I remeber a lot of dreams about my geography teacher as a young lad. Many a stain was left on my jocks in the morning.
    Nice bloke was he.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Nice bloke was he.

He was a good lookin bloke that passed for a woman with great legs and a fantastic rack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I dreamt that I scored the winner for Manchester United in the FA Cup final. Vividly remember celebrating with Mark Hughes and Brian McClair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Wish fulfilment

I'm starting to practise lucid reaming.
    And how's the lucid reaming going for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I had a particularly vivid dream once where there was around 20 identically posed butterflies in rows, each with a unique and amazing pattern on it's back. The view of them kept cycling every few seconds to reveal another 20 with unique patterns. This went on for what felt like 25 seconds and it seemed like I must have seen 200 incredibly unique and detailed patterns on their wings in that time. I woke up when the the cycling of patterns seemed to go into warp speed. When I woke, I felt like a very lucky person to have witnessed this.

So no, I wouldn't say dreams are random and meaningless. They're more real than things I experience on a daily basis sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not really no.

I'm not sure what the OP means by asking whether dreams mean anything.

Do I think they reflect our unconscious thoughts and preoccupations? Absolutely.

Do they hold some otherwise hidden meaning, or predictions for our future? Not in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Most of my dreams are about sex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I guess we'll never know?

What spooks me out though is re occuring dreams. Every now and then ill have very familiar dreams that I'm falling or flying from a high cliff down to land but I'm always okay. Strange that it could be a fear of something or even just something as simple as being scared to crash in a plane. How will I ever know?

Another one I have every so often is that I'm clenching my teeth and they lock and its so awfully uncomfortable and sore. Possibly something to do with me being paranoid about my teeth hurting anyway.

Just weird how your fears or thoughts are portrayed in the dream in such a strange way

Its really scary when you're falling asleep and have like a 2 second scary dream and you jolt and wake up terrified. Freakaay sheeit

I guess we'll never know?

What spooks me out though is re occuring dreams. Every now and then ill have very familiar dreams that I'm falling or flying from a high cliff down to land but I'm always okay. Strange that it could be a fear of something or even just something as simple as being scared to crash in a plane. How will I ever know?

Another one I have every so often is that I'm clenching my teeth and they lock and its so awfully uncomfortable and sore. Possibly something to do with me being paranoid about my teeth hurting anyway.

Just weird how your fears or thoughts are portrayed in the dream in such a strange way

Its really scary when you're falling asleep and have like a 2 second scary dream and you jolt and wake up terrified. Freakaay sheeit

I think dreaming about your teeth is fairly common..I've had several dreams about losing my teeth..reveals anxiety apparently..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

110% I think they have a meaning.

I had such a vivid and frightening tidal wave one during a period of high stress. Apparently its quite common from my research the day after.

Advertisement