Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying from a drug overdose

Options
  • 01-03-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading an interview with Rain Phoenix recently. She has a new album out the moment featuring Michael Stipe .

She was there along with her brother Joaquin on the night her brother River died outside the Viper Rooms niteclub in LA on Halloween 93.

They knew he was high before they arrived at the club, River was supposed to play guitar up on a stage in a jamming session.

At 1am he bought what he thought was cocaine from a dealer in the jacks, it was in fact a speedball .

Moments after taking he became almost sober like and fearful, shouting 'too much , too much'. She put him sitting back at their booth and he guzzled 3 glasses of water. They then decided to take him outside and he collasped as soon as he hit the air. She said she could see the abject look of fear in his eyes, the drugs were atacking his heart. He began convulsing and turned a deep dark tan colour.

It's just sounds like the most death horrific ever, I thought ODs were peaceful affairs for the victim. She tells the story to kids in High Schools as part of drug awareness campaigns.

River's autopsy foung multiple drugs in his system. Enough to kill a man 3 times over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Pretty horrible way to go alright. I don't know where this fantasy image of blissfully rolling into a lovely sleep from the high comes from- if the dose is too high your body is going to kick into a final desperate attempt to cure itself before succumbing to a painful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Pretty horrible way to go alright. I don't know where this fantasy image of blissfully rolling into a lovely sleep from the high comes from- if the dose is too high your body is going to kick into a final desperate attempt to cure itself before succumbing to a painful death.

I would suspect that this scene has played a small part in that misconception.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Or slow your respiratory rate to a virtual stop and yep, a lovely sleep. Then yep, a peaceful death. It happens.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

River was a hypocrite, espousing the dangers of drugs while abusing them frequently. A tragic end undoubtedly, considering his acting talent. Stand By Me is more powerful in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Two of my friends almost died from heroin overdoses last year.

One of them, his brain was deprived of oxygen for far too long and he wasn't expected to make it, he survived with serious brain damage and is still in hospital. He's making some sort of a recovery but he's absolutely not the same person, too much brain damage.

His girlfriend OD'd a couple of weeks later and did serious damage to her internal organs, was on dialysis for a long time.

It's not a nice way to die but it's not a pleasant thing to survive either.

• Advertisement

Or slow your respiratory rate to a virtual stop and yep, a lovely sleep. Then yep, a peaceful death. It happens.
    exactly. It depends on the drug. After all, the assisted dying that occurs at Dignitas is nothing more than a controlled drug overdose - using drugs that are similar in their properties to heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Whirl_wolle

Drug usage is absolutely fcuking rampant. I suspect someone I know is taking drugs and he's a different person to who he was before.

I was out for a walk and a neighbour stopped to give me a lift. Whatever way our chat turned, his lads were out for the night and I said something like I don't know why or how they can do it, the hangovers aren't worth it. His exact words to me were: you wouldn't mind if alcohol was all they are on.

A lot of students are taking drugs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Drug usage is absolutely fcuking rampant. I suspect someone I know is taking drugs and he's a different person to who he was before.

I was out for a walk and a neighbour stopped to give me a lift. Whatever way our chat turned, his lads were out for the night and I said something like I don't know why or how they can do it, the hangovers aren't worth it. His exact words to me were: you wouldn't mind if alcohol was all they are on.

A lot of students are taking drugs as well.

There isn't a single piece of actual evidence in this post.

Ah it is fairly rampant, in fairness.

Not sure how you'd measure it. The ones who tried weed once at their cousin's 21st would say they are mad for drugs, and anyone who does it regularly would probably stay pretty quiet about it.

Just invert the results, maybe?!

Anecdotal evidence is arguably better than the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Was there supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

My 2 cousins were on heroin and both together when the other died of an od , he said he just felt super heavy in his head ( like super tired ) and fell asleep and never woke up ( words of my other cousin who was with him ) he left his area to live in the usa , had a gf and daughter , came home to see his parents and the cnuts were dropping stuff in his letter box and he got back on it , he left his area originally as the fooker who was supplying him was threatening him so he broke the cnut up with a hammer , broke his 2 legs and pelvis and left him pooping in a bag and in a wheelchair , only good thing he did before he died

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

listen to the lyrics of this song....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Can't be having a thread without a link to this gem:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

exactly. It depends on the drug. After all, the assisted dying that occurs at Dignitas is nothing more than a controlled drug overdose - using drugs that are similar in their properties to heroin.
    Dignitas is basically the lethal injection.

The patient is given a relaxant and a drug which renders paralysis, before the lethal dose.

Nobody really knows for sure. Robyn Lee Parks is the only case that we have of a man who was't given the intial drugs. Accidental

He did not die an easy death.

The body is a powerful thing, it will fight to stay alive until the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

It really depends on the drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

A waste of life, all of them. So much potential wasted. Its socially acceptable to use drugs here, cannabis etc. Among the under 30s anything goes. I think the acceptance and the push to see addiction as a purely medical problem is paradoxically making the behaviour more acceptable and worse

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

h3apcovzgpf01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Talking to a Fireman 15 years ago. He said if we could just show the young people what we see in the back of an ambulance every weekend. There all glammed up in their best clubbing clothes & there after peeing & ****ting themselves after getting a adrenaline shot or whatever they have to give them. This Fireman despises drugs based solely on what he sees in the coarse of his work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You play with fire ……. too late to look for an extinguisher …..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Talking to a Fireman 15 years ago. He said if we could just show the young people what we see in the back of an ambulance every weekend. There all glammed up in their best clubbing clothes & there after peeing & ****ting themselves after getting a adrenaline shot or whatever they have to give them. This Fireman despises drugs based solely on what he sees in the coarse of his work
    Won't work. Inate ability of humans to look at an awful situation and say," won't happen to me". Its a very big psychological ask to analyse and confront one's flaws/risky behaviour and take remedial action. And shure it the gubbermints fault/always somebody else's fault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I think the introduction of dedicated injecting sites in the city centre is a great idea. As well as saving lives of those in addiction, it's got benefits for the rest of society too.

Where I work, we host a needle exchange. Often the only "real" human interaction our clients have all week is the tea and chit-chat and banter with us when waiting for their turn, and it's amazing to see how their faces transform with just a little bit of human kindness and interaction.

Drugs dehumanise you and you lose all perspective of the value of your life. The more support we can offer those at their lowest point, the better, rather than viewing them and treating them as the dregs of society. No addict I know is particularly fond of themself; they don't need other people's judgement on top of their own self-hatred. It just perpetuates the cycle of addiction.

I think the introduction of dedicated injecting sites in the city centre is a great idea. As well as saving lives of those in addiction, it's got benefits for the rest of society too.

Where I work, we host a needle exchange. Often the only "real" human interaction our clients have all week is the tea and chit-chat and banter with us when waiting for their turn, and it's amazing to see how their faces transform with just a little bit of human kindness and interaction.

Drugs dehumanise you and you lose all perspective of the value of your life. The more support we can offer those at their lowest point, the better, rather than viewing them and treating them as the dregs of society. No addict I know is particularly fond of themself; they don't need other people's judgement on top of their own self-hatred. It just perpetuates the cycle of addiction.
    Agree with you from drugs dehumanise on. Injection centers/needle exchange are good idea but we need to stop placing them in areas such as the city centre as the addicts take over the shared public area. I can got to work at the end of a bus route. Surely the same can be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Giveaway wrote: »
    A waste of life, all of them. So much potential wasted. Its socially acceptable to use drugs here, cannabis etc. Among the under 30s anything goes. I think the acceptance and the push to see addiction as a purely medical problem is paradoxically making the behaviour more acceptable and worse

Pretty much any country that has gone this route sees a decrease in drug related deaths, HIV and an aging addict population. Dutch teenagers are leg least likely to take drugs in the OECD.

stimpson wrote: »
    Pretty much any country that has gone this route sees a decrease in drug related deaths, HIV and an aging addict population. Dutch teenagers are leg least likely to take drugs in the OECD.
    And from historic lows antisocial behaviour and low level criminality are increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Giveaway wrote: »
    And from historic lows antisocial behaviour and low level criminality are increasing

Funny then that the Dutch are closing prisons because they don’t have enough prisoners: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dutch-prisons-are-closing-because-the-country-is-so-safe-a7765521.html

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

I read in the daily mail yesterday about Holby city actor John Michie, his daughters boyfriend was sentenced for her drug overdose last year at a festival.
    It's very disturbing how she died, it certainly wasn't peaceful, he filmed the whole thing & never called for help until it was too late.
    She was a beautiful looking girl, only 22, it's not just the drugs that killed her it was the sadistic b...ard knew what he was doing.
    Just so sad, as they say, drugs don't discriminate nobody is infallible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

We should round up every drug dealer and shoot the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Great. You start with James' Gate and let us know what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

We'd be shooting quite a lot of publican's, barstaff and pharmacists in the near future so.

Advertisement