Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cycling two abreast be allowed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Absolutely no way should it be allowed, causing needless hold ups for cars and other vehicles where you could get past one easily but two abreast makes it too tight to get past with oncoming traffic.

You should buy yourself a super fast tank and just drive over all the vehicles that are slowing down your (self)important journey.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

mikhail wrote: »
    Seems like you've little enough to be worrying you. I literally can't remember the last time I met a pair of cyclists riding abreast. I'm fairly sure that I had overtaken them seconds later though.

I come across it all the time and in some cases they are 3-4 abreast holding up traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Absolutely no way should it be allowed, causing needless hold ups for cars and other vehicles where you could get past one easily but two abreast makes it too tight to get past with oncoming traffic.

If its not safe don't pass. Basic driving. In general on most roads if its not safe to pass one cyclist its not safe to pass 2 that are abreast. And when it comes actually passing its safer for the driver. 10 cyclists 2 abreast is shorter than 10 cyclists single file.

And when it comes to unnecessary hold ups for drivers surely accidents M50 are the worst. Not a cyclist in sight and a someone can be held up for an hour plus on top of the rush hour standstill. All caused by drivers driving too close together.

Kimbot wrote: »
    I come across it all the time and in some cases they are 3-4 abreast holding up traffic.

So they had 3-4 breasts? Was this on Mars by any chance? I heard the floozies in the bars there are a bit better endowed than on Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

• Advertisement

Cool...a video dump without comment always goes down well. :P Although I have to say the car in front of you was doing so well until some magic forcefield moved him across a solid white line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Very good example of how much safer riding two abreast can be.
    If they were single file the SUV could have been tempted to overtake on a bend and with a long single file the only place to go with oncoming traffic is back in on top of the cyclists.

I see lots of crazy stuff out on public roads but that's a good example of both drivers and cyclists sharing the roads and being considerate of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

So they had 3-4 breasts? Was this on Mars by any chance? I heard the floozies in the bars there are a bit better endowed than on Earth.

To be fair in most cases the issue here is limitation of human depth perception. If the cyclists are not directly in line one another it can appear that they are more spread out than they actually are. Apparently the human eyes can't see the gap between the rows of cyclists.

PeadarCo wrote: »
    To be fair in most cases the issue here is limitation of human depth perception. If the cyclists are not directly in line one another it can appear that they are more spread out than they actually are. Apparently the human eyes can't see the gap between the rows of cyclists.

Yes I know that and it has been said many times on Boards. However, people who post about 3, 4, 5, 6 abreast are not normally the type that care about the facts of the matter and so my attempt of a joke reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They should be made wear hi viz also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes I know that and it has been said many times on Boards. However, people who post about 3, 4, 5, 6 abreast are not normally the type that care about the facts of the matter and so my attempt of a joke reply.

So your saying that no cyclists anywhere ride 3-4 abreast?

Fann Linn wrote: »

I'm getting so close to shouting "bingo"!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'm getting so close to shouting "bingo"!

That was the intention.

Fann Linn wrote: »

All cars should come in hi viz colours only.

Well it would be a very stupid comment to say that something has never ever happened somewhere in the world and you know that. Of course it has happened...look at cycling races and you'll often see it. They even do 4 abreast while standing around at the start line! :eek:

CANCELLARA-Fabian001pp.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you?
    Evidence from some dash cam footage will suffice.

Yes it not uncommon in large races but there will be cars motorbike and marshals working on traffic safety.

The only other time I've seem 6 abreast was children playing in a housing estate.

I'm sure at some point 6 cyclists out on their own have done it but I've never seen it and I would be happy to see the Garda pull them over if I ever did come across such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

It’s been a while since there’s been a person on bikes bashing thread. Well done op. You managed to reinvent the wheel.

What are you on about? This is very topical considering the scrapping of the minimum passing distance proposal. I cycle to work every day. Where am I bashing exactly?

Have you?
    Evidence from some dash cam footage will suffice.

Unfortunately I don't have a dash cam so can't provide it but if I do come across it again I'll be sure to get my passenger to take a video of it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wombatman wrote: »
    Where am I bashing exactly?
    Starting a thread on Cycling in AH? Seriously??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unfortunately I don't have a dash cam so can't provide it but if I do come across it again I'll be sure to get my passenger to take a video of it.
    You imply that it is a common sight so maybe come back to us tomorrow or Tuesday with that footage so!
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ooh ooh another cyclist thread..has anyone said "red lights" yet???

Or road tax?

Or Joe?

You imply that it is a common sight so maybe come back to us tomorrow or Tuesday with that footage so!
    Thanks.

If you bothered your hole to actually read my initial response I said it's fairly common to see 2 abreast in response to the poster that said riding 2 abreast isn't common and I said in SOME cases I have seen people ride 3-4 abreast which does happen and when I do see it happen again and have a passenger in the car to safely video it then I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Beasty wrote: »
    Starting a thread on Cycling in AH? Seriously??

Results fairly balanced so far. Surely a better reflection of Joe Public view here than in a cycling or motoring forum?

Wombatman wrote: »
    What are you on about? This is very topical considering the scrapping of the minimum passing distance proposal. I cycle to work every day. Where am I bashing exactly?

Ah, you must not be aware of AH's history with cycling related topics. Or else, the most likely is that you are very aware.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Ooh ooh another cyclist thread..has anyone said "red lights" yet???

Or road tax?

Or Joe?

Footpath, traffic jams, roads built for cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I drive cars, motorbikes and cycle. Personally I think single file is best in urban areas, while over taking cyclists I like to leave a large space between me and the cyclist in case they changes Road position suddenly.

When over taking cyclists 2 abreast it means I've to move further over the opposite side of the road, in urban areas this can be dangerous unless of course the cyclists are in a bus lane, then it's a non issue.

The only time cycling 2 abreast makes sense to me is when it's a large group of cyclists on regional roads, I'm happy to wait until it's safe to overtake.

In large towns or cities a cyclist has no business cycling 2 abreast. I personally take other roads users into consideration when using the roads, no matter your mode of transport, others should exercise the same ethos.

I hate people who are militant when using the roads, whether they be driving a vehicle, using a push bike, pedestrian or any other type of getting from A to B.

Inconsiderate people are the problem, not the mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Thanks.

Three is a common sight on the old N7, morning, noon, or night, particularly in the environs of the Birdhill roundabout.

I am not referring to the 'peloton' :rolleyes: of the Summer evenings, with the marshals, flags, and flashing ambers everywhere. A few domestique fantasies lived out there, no doubt, as they take up the whole lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Why not show the video of you dangerously passing a single cyclist at speed on the same road?

You know the one where you were only holding the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Looked at that whole video, the only available opportunity to overtake a SINGLE line of cyclists while providing the requisite 1.5m was right at the end.

Had it not been for the 2 abreast there would have been attempts to squeeze by the group.

Advertisement