Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I don't like having to take off my shoes either but when visiting someone else's gaff you need to respect their rules as you would expect of others in your own home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I get the taking off shoes thing. You're outside walking in ****e, piss, spit, muck, germs etc. Some house, I do it. Others I don't have to.
    One thing I don't get is carpets in Ireland. In a wet damp country, they don't make sense do they? Well I suppose they are warm in winter.
    Plus, the seats on buses are like carpet style. No wonder the stink of wet and gank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

lulu1 wrote: »
    We all know there are situations where you take your shoes off when going into the house. But i defo would not to be asked to take my shoes off if I was dressed up and going to visit a friend

That's why I said it's about balance and practicality. And if you defo would not be asked to take your shoes off if you were dressed up and going to visit a friend why would you post? You're not being asked to do so! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Mutant z wrote: »
    I don't like having to take off my shoes either but when visiting someone else's gaff you need to respect their rules as you would expect of others in your own home.

You are probably right and if asked I more than likely take them off but I wouldnt be going back in a hurry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Shoes and socks off here.
    Feet getting massaged by the missus.
    Bliss.

All that's missing is the crisp sambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

MadYaker wrote: »
    If Assad didn't gas them then who did??

Obviously Assad stole all their shoes and they gassed each other with foot odor!

As for me, I wont be taking my shoes off for anyone - will happily stay outside or leave if that's the only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's why I said it's about balance and practicality. And if you defo would not be asked to take your shoes off if you were dressed up and going to visit a friend why would you post? You're not being asked to do so! :o

Would not like EDIT EDIT EDIT:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Those are different situations to a trip to the shops/or your daily job in the office tough!

Yes, you're dead right. However, if the friendship is good, I really can't see the problem. Some people wouldn't grace the door again because they were asked to take their shoes off????

I never thought I'd say the hateful word, but......

snowflakes?

Worse. (two words)

Offended snowflakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,840 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yes, you're dead right. However, if the friendship is good, I really can't see the problem. Some people wouldn't grace the door again because they were asked to take their shoes off????

I never thought I'd say the hateful word, but......

snowflakes?

Worse. (two words)

Offended snowflakes.

I wouldn't get offended if somebody asked me to take off my shoes but it's not something I would ask people to to do in our house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I'd rather someone had muck on their shoes and got it all over the floor than smell someone's feet.

When I go to my best friends house her boyfriend comes home from work, sits down beside me, takes off his shoes and I almost get sick from the smell of his feet. I just leave then and she asked me once if I have a problem with him because I always leave as soon as he gets home and he'd like to get to know me better. No thanks, but it's his house so I just excuse myself and say I'm tired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

I used to be really strict about it when we had crawling babies. When the kids stopped putting everything in their mouths and we got a dog I gave up on it. We have wooden floors, they’re constantly mucky apart from about half an hour a week after they’ve been mopped. I don’t care so much. Lowering your standards is wonderful!
    When we first got a dog we had lino fitted everywhere but the bedrooms. We grew to love the ease at which you could sweep up dirt rather than have it sink into the pile. Echoing an earlier post, carpets are the spawn of the devil. I still take the shoes off though, no sense treading who knows what into the house and my old man slippers are always inside the front door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I do airbnb, I have marble tiles and wood floors, if the place is dirty, they leave a review, even if they dirty it with their own feet, I am not going around mopping up after them all day. It's always shoes off, when it comes to family and friends, I ask them the same, unless the floors are gonna be washed that day, I can hardly have guests looking at others with their shoes on. I also cannot say to the guests, only do it when it's raining, a lot of people have no common sense.

I also have a dog, his feet are dried with a towel when he comes inside.
    It caused a big rift with my girlfriend when I started dating her, but the main thing was just to respect my wishes, then when there were no guests a few times, I said she could do what she wanted, as long as she didn't leave the floors dirty. afer a few times of having to mop the floors, she wasnt long getting used to taking her shoes off instead of mopping the floor 2 or 3 times a day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

I have a comfy pair of house shoes for winter, sometimes slippers but not mad about slippers,house shoes with laces completely undone so they flap about, then in summer I just wear flip flops in the house...also have about 4 or 5 pairs of shoes that I keep in constant rotation,looking good and not scuffed or tattered, always looking brand new, hate unkept shoes..and when keep them in rotation it stops any sort of smell and stops feet from smelling to! I hate the thought of people walking on the dirty ground all days,through piss and **** and all sorts,then traipsing it around my place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I find it weird to take shoes off in a house. It’s pretty uncommon here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

It's alright, shoe-lovers, transition times can be tough. There was a time when we used to think the visiting Yank relations wanting a shower every day was the height of neurosis and perfectly decent folk went round smelling of armpit and bum crack, I kid you not. Buses were hell and Friday night discos only bearable because of Lynx. Slowly, slowly we came around. So too we will take to leaving our street shoes in halls and porches and another great Irish evolution will be complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Shoe taker offers are prone to toe stubbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Went to buy a cordless vacuum on Adverts once and the woman asked me to take my boots off, think that's the only time it's happened to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Those are different situations to a trip to the shops/or your daily job in the office tough!

Yep. No dog dirt, old chewing gum...

Basically I do not wear shoes. I have a pair somewhere... Dratted feet so painful now that unless wellie weather I wear clogs, ie imitation crocs

Here, there is heavy duty lino which cleans easily and I almost never have anyone coming in.

If i lived a more usual life? Yes. I debated this when i was in a rental with stair carpet and upstairs carpet .. especially in farming land..

And yes, if I were anywhere and were asked? No dfference between that and not smoking in someone's house,

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yep. No dog dirt, old chewing gum...

I know plenty of people who wear shoes in their house and they are not covered in Dog pooh. I live on a farm and even when wearing wellies I look at where I am going and don't step pooh/etc.
    Even if you dd have have an unlucky accident with your shoes. You generally smell it fairly fast or by when you get to the car.

I know plenty of people who wear shoes in their house and they are not covered in Dog pooh. I live on a farm and even when wearing wellies I look at where I am going and don't step pooh/etc.
    Even if you dd have have an unlucky accident with your shoes. You generally smell it fairly fast or by when you get to the car.

One word. Residue. OK? OK! Unless you bleach pathways.

Graces7 wrote: »
    One word. Residue. OK? OK! Unless you bleach pathways.

Even with residue you generally smell it.
    Apart from the soles of my shoes and the legs of furniture theirs nothing else on the floor in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not sure why people get so offended about such a simple thing. It's probably just another one of those 'cultural' things.

I say that because I'm from a continental big city where living in a house would be the exception and the house vs. flat thing probably plays a role in this.

In a flat there is typically no upstairs (hence the name I guess) and the entire living area is 'intimate' if you like. As in the main bathroom may be off the main hall and at times you obviously might walk through that with your bare feet. Also toddlers might be crawling around everywhere.
    It's more of a house thing where there's a distinction between upstairs and downstairs where downstairs might be considered 'reception' whereas upstairs might be considered more private.

Ultimately its just a hygiene thing. I don't have to explain what our shoes come in contact with during the day. So how is it so outlandish if some people dont want that wiped off all over their carpets? When you think about it, its actually pretty disgusting.

Those people claiming they'd turn around and walk away immediately.... a) I call bullsh1t on that b) get over yourselves will you

Edit: Special mention to the OP and their phrase
    the cheek of her does she forget where she came from
    wtf is that supposed to mean? Chip on your shoulder?

Not sure why people get so offended about such a simple thing. It's probably just another one of those 'cultural' things.
    I say that because I'm from a continental big city where living in a house would be the exception and the house vs. flat thing probably plays a role in this.
    In a flat there is typically no upstairs (hence the name I guess) and the entire living area is 'intimate' if you like. As in the main bathroom may be off the main hall and at times you obviously might walk through that with your bare feet. Also toddlers might be crawling around everywhere. It's more of a house thing where there's a distinction between upstairs and downstairs where downstairs might be considered 'reception' whereas upstairs might be considered more private.
    Ultimately its just a hygiene thing. I don't have to explain what our shoes come in contact with during the day. So how is it so outlandish if some people dont want that wiped off all over their carpets? When you think about it, its actually pretty disgusting.
    Those people claiming they'd turn around and walk away immediately.... a) I call bullsh1t on that b) get over yourselves will you

Yeah it's kind of funny people being offended. It's one thing never to have given it much thought and to have pursued a habit, but its another to vigorously defend the soles of ones shoes as either most likely not that bad (give them a lick then!), or else positively health stimulating in terms of immunological best practise :pac:
    ''Intimate'' is a good word, I sit on the floor a lot, I walk barefoot inside, or in socks in winter and whatever is on the floor I bring into bed, the bath, onto the couch, etc, so no way do I want street side residue snuggling up with me :) My house is not super clean either for those who think I'm a germophobe, you won't get botulism, I give it a good run around when it needs it, but otherwise I find housework boring and would score on the slightly dishevelled side of things. I have a dusty solid fuel stove, am gardening most days and have seeds sprouting in trays all over the place, and the house while generally clean is somewhat haphazard with areas of creative chaos.

Malayalam wrote: »
    Yeah it's kind of funny people being offended. It's one thing never to have given it much thought and to have pursued a habit, but its another to vigorously defend the soles of ones shoes as either most likely not that bad (give them a lick then!), or else positively health stimulating in terms of immunological best practise :pac:
    ''Intimate'' is a good word, I sit on the floor a lot, I walk barefoot inside, or in socks in winter and whatever is on the floor I bring into bed, the bath, onto the couch, etc, so no way do I want street side residue snuggling up with me :) My house is not super clean either for those who think I'm a germophobe, you won't get botulism, I give it a good run around when it needs it, but otherwise I find housework boring and would score on the slightly dishevelled side of things. I have a dusty solid fuel stove, am gardening most days and have seeds sprouting in trays all over the place, and the house while generally clean is somewhat haphazard with areas of creative chaos.

Are you living HERE? My house is just like yours... stove, gardening, seed trays... welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Take off yer fecking shoes. You have walked through traces of dog and cat faeces, human spit, rats urine, vomit, refuse, fox poop, and innumerable other delights if you have travelled any average street or road. I want crawling babies, floor licking toddlers and sock wearing me to be spared your worldly detritus, thanks very much. In many other countries it is utterly weird to walk into a home with your street shoes on, and yes, tradesmen and visiting professionals have plastic outer shoes they automatically produce. If you love your shoes so much lick the soles of them - that is what you are offering floor dwelling smallies......blech!

Anyone that uses the word “smallies” deserves all manners of sh*t and toxic waste trudged through their gaff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Feet are F3ckin rotten.generally leave them on myself or wear slippers. Only time I'd take them off was if wearing work boots/wlaking boots and then I'd probably just put my runners back on anyway.

If asked in a friends house I'd do it as its their house but would prefer not too.

I'd never ask anyone to take shoes off in my house and as they are guests in my house I want them to be comfortable so its up to them to leave them on or off.

Floors have to be cleaned anyway so whats the problem. Unless you spend the day licking the floors but you have bigger issues if that's the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anyone that uses the word “smallies” deserves all manners of sh*t and toxic waste trudged through their gaff.

My missus uses that word and it's like nails on a blackboard. Is it a Cork thing?

I'm actually shocked at the number of people on here who agree with/implement the "shoes off" rule! It's not something I have witnessed, except in Europe.
    Do people really expect floors to be spotless at all times? I don't think I'd be comfortable in a house that didn't have any dirt or dust - I think I'd feel on edge, worrying that I'd spill something... :/

I find it weird to take shoes off in a house. It’s pretty uncommon here.

Apart from orgies, imagine being at a house party and everyone having their shoes off. I’ve never once seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Ya , her sister tried that .

I arrived at her to collect her to bring her and the fruitcake I'm married to their local one night.

"Take your shoes off " says she

"Ask me bollix " says I and walked out , drove off and left her there.

You did in your bollox says I

Apart from orgies, imagine being at a house party and everyone having their shoes off. I’ve never once seen it.

Come on over here for a visit Omackerel and there will often be a dozen or more shoeless people gathered, and not even having sex with each other. It'll blow your mind. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Come on over here for a visit Omackerel and there will often be a dozen or more shoeless people gathered, and not even having sex with each other. It'll blow your mind. :D

Pervert!!!

:p

It’s not my mind I want blown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

**** sake, you're all perverts

Hahaha, sorry, can't help you there :pac:

I take off my shoes and put on slippers or crocs for comfort around the house. I will walk every corner of the house in my shoes though at times as I generally only take off my shoes when I'm finished going outside for the day so would go upstairs, in the living room etc in my shoes if getting something, planning on going out again etc.

I've better things for doing than worrying about walking around the house in shoes. it would be annoying if just calling to someone briefly if they asked me to take off shoes but if calling over for a few hours I'd take off my shoes anyway for comfort. It's very very rarely I've encountered someone who makes you take them off thankfully.
    Ush1 wrote: »
    My missus uses that word and it's like nails on a blackboard. Is it a Cork thing?

It's up there with one of the top annoying words going at the minute...it hurts to hear it.

There are a few others I see posted like DS (darling son) etc that make my head explode where to people come up with these awful words/phrases.

I take off my shoes and put on slippers or crocs for comfort around the house. I will walk every coroner of the house in my shoes though at times as I generally only take off my shoes when I'm finished going outside for the day so would go upstairs, in the living room etc in my shoes if getting something, planning on going out again etc.

I've better things for doing than worrying about walking around the house in shoes. it would be annoying if just calling to someone briefly if they asked me to take off shoes but if calling over for a few hours I'd take off my shoes anyway for comfort. It's very very rarely I've encountered someone who makes you take them off thankfully.

It's up there with one of the top annoying words going at the minute...it hurts to hear it.

There are a few others I see posted like DS (darling son) etc that make my head explode where to people come up with these awful words/phrases.

My head explodes at the thoughts of people walking on every coroner. Poor coroners :(

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The real question is, do any of yous wear slippers outside?:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I take off my shoes and put on slippers or crocs for comfort around the house.

NNOOOOOOOOOO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It seems snooty and something people who are a bit up their own arse do, but TBH, it makes sense. We've a cream coloured carpet in the hall and if there had been a no shoe rule in place then it would still look reasonably good. Now, a few years on, it's starting to look like a pub carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A mate and former colleague used to work doing backoffice admin [long spells sitting and staring at a screen on a large busy floor with no human interaction] and he used to kick off his shoes. One of the managers eventually requested he put his shoes on. There wasn't a dress code or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

You're supposed to walk around the crap, not step in it.

In an ideal world maybe it would be possible but this is Dublin; it’s feckn’ ground into the pavement or spread into the grass verges by the coco’s ‘maintenance’.

Besides it’s not just shyte, it’s other bodily fluids that some people thinks it’s perfectly normal to expel outside the home...

Upon entering a home , people take off their shoes..
    in Japan
    in India
    in most Slavic countries
    in most Scandinavian countries, Sweden, Finland and Norway
    in most Muslim countries
    in Vietnam
    in a lot of German households
    in places like the Ukraine, Russia and former Soviet countries
    in most Austrian homes
    in Romania
    in Korea
    in Taiwan
    in China
    in Turkey
    in Indonesia
    etc

In a recent study, researchers from the University of Houston found that 40 percent of doorsteps samples were contaminated with C. difficile bacteria, and so were 39 percent of shoe soles.
    C. diff, isn’t easy to treat—several strains are resistant to antibiotics.

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19515620/disgusting-disease-on-your-shoes/

Researchers at the University of Arizona found a shocking truth. There are, on average, nearly 421,000 different bacteria present on the bottoms of 96% of shoes. Basically, your shoes are a petri dish you walk on. Among these bacteria are Klebsiella pneumoniae (which causes urinary tract infections), Serratia ficaria (which causes respiratory infection), and a whole lot of E. coli.

https://www.wimp.com/heres-the-scientific-reason-not-to-wear-your-shoes-inside-the-house-anymore/

4d3f74198751a88fa038835aa9f64a26_giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

in most Austrian homes

When my mom and stepdad invited my dad over he always had this obnoxious thing of trying to not take them off but he eventually did. He also wouldn't obey the house rule of sitting down on the lou.

One apartment I rented had really old parquet floors, they weren't in a great condition anyway and if people would walk in with damp shoes it could seriously stain.

I really don't know why a guest would argue over that in my home, it's my rules after all and I bet they wouldn't be happy if I'd sh1t all over their own house rules too.

• Administrators Posts: 54,109 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

LirW wrote: »
    When my mom and stepdad invited my dad over he always had this obnoxious thing of trying to not take them off but he eventually did. He also wouldn't obey the house rule of sitting down on the lou.

One apartment I rented had really old parquet floors, they weren't in a great condition anyway and if people would walk in with damp shoes it could seriously stain.

I really don't know why a guest would argue over that in my home, it's my rules after all and I bet they wouldn't be happy if I'd sh1t all over their own house rules too.
    Is this serious? :pac:

How do you inform your guests of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

LirW wrote: »
    He also wouldn't obey the house rule of sitting down on the lou.
    Sorry but are you saying there was a house rule that males had to sit down on the toilet? :pac:
    How was it possible to police this and what made them have this rule in the first place?

Back on topic - I generally take my shoes off when I get into my house every evening and throw on my slippers. Purely for comfort though more than worrying about all the sh*te I'm apparently dragging in from outside :D
    Have always removed shoes in countries where it's the norm - Sweden, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam etc. but I'd 99% of the time be wearing flip flops or slip-ons there anyway so it's not a problem. Would annoy me if I had to remove boots / runners just calling into a friend's house as I'd probably be panicking about the cut of my socks but would certainly do it if asked and wouldn't think they were complete weirdos either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm actually shocked at the number of people on here who agree with/implement the "shoes off" rule! It's not something I have witnessed, except in Europe.
    Do people really expect floors to be spotless at all times? I don't think I'd be comfortable in a house that didn't have any dirt or dust - I think I'd feel on edge, worrying that I'd spill something... :/

While I usually take my shoes off indoors, it's just for comfort. I've seen people ask that shoes be taken off and then they have dogs and cats wandering freely for outside in to the house. In one woman's house the tom cat even sprayed the furniture and walked across all the kitchen worktops - but we had to take our shoes off!!!
    I can understand if you've just had a new light coloured carpet laid but generally ordinary shoes should be no problem in a house. We wash and clean the floors anyway and it's not like we eat off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What about people who take their shoes off at work, and walk around the office in their socks.....

There also used to be a trend, and maybe still is, of musicians playing in their bare feet on stage. Idiotic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It's alright, shoe-lovers, transition times can be tough. There was a time when we used to think the visiting Yank relations wanting a shower every day was the height of neurosis and perfectly decent folk went round smelling of armpit and bum crack, I kid you not. Buses were hell and Friday night discos only bearable because of Lynx. Slowly, slowly we came around. So too we will take to leaving our street shoes in halls and porches and another great Irish evolution will be complete.

Except the yanks don’t take their shoes off. So bad analogy. Nor is the rise in showering related to yanks coming over with their crazy ideas about showers, while our showers lay unused. The increase in showering is because we installed showers. Baths were a weekly event. Showers daily.

Advertisement