Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison sentences/out on bail

Options
  • 21-01-2015 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

I'm currently reading a Paul Williams book about Limerick gangsters that I got as an Xmas present. Now, I don't pay too much attention to the 'underworld' by reading Williams' columns or the Sunday World. One thing that does stand out to me in this book as somewhat shocking is the light sentences these criminals received while up and coming gangsters and how often they were released on bail by judges (and causing more violence when free).

I really think this is something that needs to be addressed if Ireland is to effectively tackle organised crime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

SPM1959 wrote: »
    I'm currently reading a Paul Williams book...
    There's your first problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

I know, the Anglo crew, were very well organised!! All given bail as well:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

El Weirdo wrote: »
    There's your first problem.

Why?

dar100 wrote: »
    I know, the Anglo crew, were very well organised!! All given bail as well:)

Different discussion isn't it?

They are not violent criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

People are innocent until proven guilty therefore bail shouldn't be denied except in very limited circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I'm currently reading

What's ya readin' for?

Different discussion isn't it?

They are not violent criminals.

Hardly!!! As Ms Thatcher use to say... A crime is a crime is a crime!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Since Paul Williams is great at giving out apt nicknames to criminals I've one for him.

The Bellend, sums him up nicely and everyone knows who you're talking about straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Since Paul Williams is great at giving out apt nicknames to criminals I've one for him.

The Bellend, sums him up nicely and everyone knows who you're talking about straight away.

Don't think Paul Williams ever gave a criminal a nickname?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

We need Vigilantism to sort out Irelands crime problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dont pay your TV Licence or pay your taxes and see how the judges treat you,once you hurt the state the gloves come off,when the peasants are harming each other they dont give a fcuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'm currently reading a Paul Williams book about Limerick gangsters that I got as an Xmas present. Now, I don't pay too much attention to the 'underworld' by reading Williams' columns or the Sunday World. One thing that does stand out to me in this book as somewhat shocking is the light sentences these criminals received while up and coming gangsters and how often they were released on bail by judges (and causing more violence when free).

I really think this is something that needs to be addressed if Ireland is to effectively tackle organised crime.

Better off reading the Beano, TBH.

Valetta wrote: »
    Don't think Paul Williams ever gave a criminal a nickname?

He gave the majority of them their nicknames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

True that. 'Oh I sentence you to 10 years, with 9.5 suspended.' WTF.

The judicial system is crazy in this country. Looks at the 'Mericans. Ain't no foolin them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'm currently reading

Jasus SPM, I didn't know you could read. Fair play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why?

He wouldn't have much of a career or purpose unless there was a thriving underworld.. only natural that he exaggerates and sensationalises things.

A man's got to be relevant :rolleyes:

Do you just want people to be locked up for longer or for a few billion to be spent on more prisons?

The people that rant about and blame judges or the judicial system for the problem are the same ones that would oppose money being spent in the area.

It'd be laughable if it wasn't causing so much suffering to people.

dar100 wrote: »
    He gave the majority of them their nicknames

You give him too much credit.

He didn't give them their nicknames. They had them already.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are on bail you should be going out of your way to keep your nose squeaky clean.

I'd consider preventing judges from giving concurrent sentences for any crime committed while on bail. Otherwise there is the suspicion that a guilty perp might have anything to fear since the won't get any more time for lesser crimes. Totally unworkable because the judges could subvert such things. c.f the minimum sentencing for certain offences.

One measure of the justice system is the level of recidivism. If we aren't reducing this then we should be looking at alternatives. Especially since most crimes don't end in a conviction.

You give him too much credit.

He didn't give them their nicknames. They had them already.

He still uses them and spreads them out to wider domain, glorifying these gobsh1tes with stupid pet names. Pity their nicknames aren't "Spastic" Fitzpatrick and "Needle Dick" Magee, that'd be worth seeing on the front page

• Advertisement

He still uses them and spreads them out to wider domain, glorifying these gobsh1tes with stupid pet names. Pity their nicknames aren't "Spastic" Fitzpatrick and "Needle Dick" Magee, that'd be
    worth seeing on the front page

Glorifying them in who's eyes?

I see you'd like an argument, so I'm going with:

My eyes, I think they're all class lads

What was the most shoplifted book in Irish history?
    The General

Work your answer out from that.

mikom wrote: »
    What was the most shoplifted book in Irish history?
    The General

Work your answer out from that.

And who gave the general his nickname?

Hint- it wasn't Williams

Hint- it wasn't Williams

Who gave more recent criminals their nicknames?

Hint- it wasn't Williams

"Glorifying them in who's eyes" was your question.
    You got it answered.... suck it up
    Wanna play another round?

He wouldn't have much of a career or purpose unless there was a thriving underworld.. only natural that he exaggerates and sensationalises things.

A man's got to be relevant :rolleyes:

Do you just want people to be locked up for longer or for a few billion to be spent on more prisons?

The people that rant about and blame judges or the judicial system for the problem are the same ones that would oppose money being spent in the area.

It'd be laughable if it wasn't causing so much suffering to people.

Longer sentences. One example I read in that book is an innocent young man was kicked to death. His attacker got six years. I know if it was my son, that sentence wouldn't be 'justice' to me.

I didn't say judges are to blame but longer sentences would be a deterrent to criminals and also keep them off the streets to commit more crime.

Also, I don't know much about the author, I haven't followed his career. The facts that he writes about speak for themselves though - killings, shootings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe i'm picking you up wrong here, but i'm pretty sure the majority of people who give out about criminals getting bail, re-offending and either getting bail again or released on TR, would have no problems with more prisons being built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Was watching a small piece on that morning show on ITV the other day and they were talking about how borstals should be re-introduced. I'd definitely be all for it. I think the guy speaking was a criminologist, and he was saying basically, how is sticking a convict in jail with a playstation and a gym going to teach them anything? in a borstal, they'd learn very quick how to behave and be a civil human being

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Maybe i'm picking you up wrong here, but i'm pretty sure the majority of people who give out about criminals getting bail, re-offending and either getting bail again or released on TR, would have no problems with more prisons being built.

Do a poll..

I guarantee you that most people will vote for more man power / more spaces / more commitment + more service cost reductions.

Advertisement