Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richest 1% may soon own more than the rest of the world

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Better ensure I'm not in the 99% or else I'll have a self-entitlement attitude where I expect to receive wealth for minimal excursion.

It's not about self-entitlement its about fair taxation policies. There is a growing disparity between rich and poor in the world. Since the recession standard of living has decreased for most people in Ireland while the richest have gotten richer.

It about making society more democratic and equal.The above comment is filled with empty thatcherite neoliberal rhetoric.If we don't work this out , social cohesion between all economic groups will become nearly impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

The narrative on these threads is telling:
    Upward redistribution of wealth, from the rest of society towards the wealthy = Good on them. They earned it (apparently, the rest of society didn't earn the share being taken from them).

Downward redistribution of wealth, from the wealthy, to the rest of society = Begrudgers 'stealing' from the wealthy.

It's odd that people don't understand, that upward redistribution of wealth, means making the rest of society poorer and more indebted - the increase in wealth, is not merely due to growing economies, it's actually being redistributed, being taken from the rest of society.

Whatever, I don't care about all that because I am considerably, CONSIDERABLY, richer than you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

smash wrote: »
    Who cares how they got it?

You could have someone who works their as off in McDonalds for 40 hours a week for 40 years. Do they deserve to be wealthy? Fcuk no they don't. They've done nothing except their job, which is at it's best, basic! Working does not entitle you to be wealthy.

And what about chemists, physicists, programmers, vet, etc... all very complex things, and they ain't rich [€30-90k] compared to a business man who does 'basic' stuff of having the right HR sourcing out people working for him and reaping in the profits from other people's much harder work... making hundreds to millions, and so forth, per year ?

Your example of a McDonald's worker is pretty irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's not about self-entitlement its about fair taxation policies. There is a growing disparity between rich and poor in the world. Since the recession standard of living has decreased for most people in Ireland while the richest have gotten richer.

If you have a bit of money, then it's very easy to make money in a recession. This has nothing to do with taxation policies!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

BMJD wrote: »
    Whatever, I don't care about all that because I am considerably, CONSIDERABLY, richer than you!...

LoadsamonnAAAY! Turbo-nutter-BAWSTWARD!!

:D

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »
    And what about chemists, physicists, programmers, vet, etc... all very complex things, and they ain't rich [€30-90k] compared to a business man who does 'basic' stuff of having the right HR sourcing out people working for him and reaping in the profits from other people's much harder work... making hundreds to millions, and so forth, per year ?

Your example of a McDonald's worker is pretty irrelevant.

You examples of "chemists, physicists, programmers, vet" is irrelevant. These are all good paying jobs where there's a good possibility of making a hell of a lot of money in your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Our Government continues to ensure that the rich stays rich by continuing to allow them pay as little tax as possible and in some cases no tax at all.
    Meanwhile they will chase the ordinary worker for the last cent.
    What is happening is nothing short of scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

smash wrote: »
    Who cares how they got it?

You could have someone who works their as off in McDonalds for 40 hours a week for 40 years. Do they deserve to be wealthy? Fcuk no they don't. They've done nothing except their job, which is at it's best, basic! Working does not entitle you to be wealthy.

Fair enough but you pretty much disproved the top 1% are the hardest workers hypothesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yes they inherited that wealth in great fashion

Not all of them inherited it, some of them got it through thievery, fraud and deception.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Fair enough but you pretty much disproved the top 1% are the hardest workers hypothesis.

I never agreed with that hypothesis anyway. It's nonsense. They are by no means the hardest workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

jimgoose wrote: »
    According to the Pedia of Wiki, Ireland was ranked 15th in the list of World nations GDP per-capita in 2012. That, in short, means that this 1% is us. So take it hawndy noy a while with the dreadlocks and protesting an' shiz-nit. Be careful what you wish for!

My personal net assets are measured in how many multi-packs of beans are in my cupboard.

When I get a Lidl xxl offer on toilet paper and when there's a higher than usual ratio of food to frost in my freezer, I feel wealthy for a while.

Our Government continues to ensure that the rich stays rich by continuing to allow them pay as little tax as possible and in some cases no tax at all.
    Meanwhile they will chase the ordinary worker for the last cent.
    What is happening is nothing short of scandalous.

That is false but don't let facts get in the way of yer little hippy rant

http://www.ibec.ie/IBEC/Press/PressPublicationsdoclib3.nsf/vPages/Newsroom~new-ibec-report-debunking-income-tax-myths-28-09-2014/$file/Debunking+Irish+income+tax+myths.pdf

BMJD wrote: »

I didn't see any mention of Apple or the other large companies who are supposed to be paying a lot more Corporate Tax than they are.
    OR this -
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/superwealthy-only-pay-tiny-fraction-in-tax-26880880.html

I didn't see any mention of Apple or the other large companies who are supposed to be paying a lot more Corporate Tax than they are.
    OR this -
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/superwealthy-only-pay-tiny-fraction-in-tax-26880880.html

Apple don't pay income tax because they aren't a person - they pay quite a lot of employees well though, and they pay plenty of income tax on that. Put it this way, if we told Apple and all their employees to fcuk off back to California in the morning, would Ireland be better off financially? I doubt it.

Also, typical Indo headline
    The recession and collapse of the property market has, however, "decimated" the value of many of these assets, according to Brian Keegan, director of taxation at Chartered Accountants Ireland.

"Someone may have built up an expensive portfolio of properties but those properties could be worth very little today," says Mr Keegan. "Because of the volatility of the property market and stock market, it's hard to draw a straight line between someone's net worth and their capacity to earn enough to pay tax bills.

"High worth doesn't always mean high-income, and vice versa. However, people with high asset values may have greater tax liabilities and more complicated tax issues; hence there is a special unit with Revenue to deal with them."

I would agree that the likes of this is bull**** that should be cut out
    However, Ireland's richest man -- Pallonji Mistry, a secretive Indian tycoon -- is unlikely to pay much, if any tax here. He only took out Irish citizenship in 2003 and despite his wife Patsi being born in Dublin is not known to have ever visited Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

:eek:

By income, though, not by wealth.

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

OR this -

You are surprised that Apple are not mentioned in a report about Income Tax?

awec wrote: »
    You are surprised that Apple are not mentioned in a report about Income Tax?

No i'm not. But I then specifically mentioned Corporate Tax. Enjoy the nit-picking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

No i'm not. But I then specifically mentioned Corporate Tax. Enjoy the nit-picking though.
    Why only pick on corporate tax? What about all of the money they pay their irish based employees, how much tax is collected there? When pay for Irish utilities, gas water electricity, how much of that is collected as tax? How much money do they pay out to smaller companies that provide services to them? How much of that money makes it to their exchequer?

You're being very selective when you pick corporation tax and ignore all other streams of revenue.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Why only pick on corporate tax? What about all of the money they pay their irish based employees, how much tax is collected there? When pay for Irish utilities, gas water electricity, how much of that is collected as tax? How much money do they pay out to smaller companies that provide services to them? How much of that money makes it to their exchequer?

You're being very selective when you pick corporation tax and ignore all other streams of revenue.

My main point is that a worker will be followed by Revenue for the last cent while big companies like Apple are allowed dodge what they owe.
    The fact that their workers pay Income Tax has nothing to do with their Corporate Tax dodging at all but they are being allowed get away with it.

My main point is that a worker will be followed by Revenue for the last cent while big companies like Apple are allowed dodge what they owe.
    The fact that their workers pay Income Tax has nothing to do with their Corporate Tax dodging at all but they are being allowed get away with it.
    Workers are a less elastic resource than companies.

Plus if a worker ups and leaves no one cares, if apple leaves the whole country feels the pain.

• Advertisement

Workers are a less elastic resource than companies.

Plus if a worker ups and leaves no one cares, if apple leaves the whole country feels the pain.

So we give in to blackmail then?
    What if a group of factories make an ultimatum to the Govt to get the same terms as Apple and threaten to move their work to another country?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

0.11%, just out of the 1% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Caliden wrote: »
    Profit should be a dirty word.
    totally wrong . would you prefer to work for a profit or loss making company?. If a company could not be profitable what incentive is there for the risk and stress to the owners. if the banks had been profit making the country would be better off than it is now and if government were profit making it would be great also. As it is , it is has to borrow to cover running costs... never a good long term option..
    sorry for going off thread slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yes they inherited that wealth in great fashion
    So are you suggesting that when you or one of your relatives die that the state should swoop in and take all your wealth for the states use? The wishes of the dead person should be ignored?

So we give in to blackmail then?
    It's not blackmail it's reality.
    What if a group of factories make an ultimatum to the Govt to get the same terms as Apple and threaten to move their work to another country?
    Maybe.

It's not blackmail it's reality.

It is clearly blackmail and fear.
    Why else do you think they're getting away with it?

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0521/451564-apple-tax-arrangements/

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

kneemos wrote: »
    I suspect if you shared all the wealth out with the poor it would go straight back to the wealthy.

I've heard that before yet astonishingly those making that claim never feel confident enough to put their article of faith to the test and instead vehemently oppose anything that might even slightly equalise wealth distribution.

If proponents of a theory do everything possible to avoid it being tested then you can assume that even they know that it's BS.

Also people justifying the infinitesimal tax paid by certain corporations by bleating on about how their workers pay tax so it's all okay are missing the point: Corporations bestow the advantage of a separate legal personality that allows shareholders to obtain personal profit without taking personal responsibility for the corporations actions and liabilities, the quid pro quo is that it should get taxed at a rate that reflects the advantage bestowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If you ever watch MTV Cribs you'll see rich American sports players you've probably never heard of. They have rooms that they never even use which are about the size of my house as well as dozens of cars they'll never drive.

These people wouldn't even be in the top 1% though. I don't understand the multi billionaires that just keep collecting more and more money. It's not about 'begrudgery'. There's just no way anyone needs that money, even to live in luxury. I actually think it's a mental illness to just want to get more and more money, like those hoarders that just keep collecting crap they don't need and will never use. There comes a point when money just becomes meaningless.

At least Bill Gates supposedly wants to give away most of his money. He can afford to though. He could give away 99% of his wealth and still have more left than most people will earn in their lifetime.

http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/#tab:overall

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Wonder how many of that 1% got it strictly through inheritance, people that haven't worked a day in their lives...

A very significant portion of them no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Better ensure I'm not in the 99% or else I'll have a self-entitlement attitude where I expect to receive wealth for minimal excursion.

And what work exactly did these parasites at the top of the pyramid do? Yeah it must be backbreaking labour simply existing as part of a bloodline of inheritance and privilege.

Advertisement