Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSN Messenger - Did you use it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

McGaggs wrote: »
    Msn was the only reason I had a hotmail address. Used in the uni library to gather people from the 2 libraries or the various computer rooms to go to the bar. It was pretty handy for my year in the States too.

What is\was CF?

I won't even tell ye what my first hotmail email address was, so mortifying, I was 12 and clearly in need of attention, the shame.

Oh I have Cystic Fibrosis and people with CF aren't supposed to meet in person due to infection issues so there's an online community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

MSN Messenger was always a work tool for me, probably because my then employer was too cheap to buy suitable licenses for professional IM tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

MSN Messenger was always a work tool for me, probably because my then employer was too cheap to buy suitable licenses for professional IM tools.

To be fair, from what I remember back then, MSN Messenger was probably the best of them. Lotus Sametime (I think it was) wasn't up to much - we used that in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Succubus_ wrote: »
    I won't even tell ye what my first hotmail email address was, so mortifying, I was 12 and clearly in need of attention, the shame.

Oh I have Cystic Fibrosis and people with CF aren't supposed to meet in person due to infection issues so there's an online community.

I was assuming CF was something like aim, AOL, IRC, IRQ, wbs, or something else that I'd forgotten about.

My Hotmail address was just last name first name. My rocketmail address (which I still use) was where I had my daft name.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

McGaggs wrote: »
    I was assuming CF was something like aim, AOL, IRC, IRQ, wbs, or something else that I'd forgotten about.

My Hotmail address was just last name first name. My rocketmail address (which I still use) was where I had my daft name.

I have multiple emails long term :)

- My firstname.lastname for all "proper" stuff
    - A 2nd I've pretty much retired now
    - A 3rd for forums etc

Also had the same mobile number since 1998! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

There are still places that can be more anonymous. I run a mental health forum and chatroom because people sometimes don't want it linked with their facebook account. I'm pretty certain there are Discord servers for CF.

If you don't know what Discord is, it's a chat platform that was designed for gamers but people use it for all sorts, you can set up your own server and you can have it invite only to keep it more secure, or publicly post the link online. Or you can find existing servers to join. So it's almost like a whatsapp group but bigger, and with usernames rather than phone numbers.

Muir wrote: »
    There are still places that can be more anonymous. I run a mental health forum and chatroom because people sometimes don't want it linked with their facebook account. I'm pretty certain there are Discord servers for CF.

If you don't know what Discord is, it's a chat platform that was designed for gamers but people use it for all sorts, you can set up your own server and you can have it invite only to keep it more secure, or publicly post the link online. Or you can find existing servers to join. So it's almost like a whatsapp group but bigger, and with usernames rather than phone numbers.

Ooh thank you! *goes off to google discord servers*

• Registered Users Posts: 34,518 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I used ICQ and thought everyone who used MSN were blow ins :pac:

I do find it rather interesting as mentioned by some other folks above how IM died out. It really was a staple of the internet experience back in the day.

Anyone remember ICQ Live type group chat? Was great fun. You'd have a chat window to type in each and your characters would appear in real time as you typed.

So, I think I set up a discord server. It's called boardsiesforlife because I'm sad like that. I'll just hang around in there and see if any of ye join me.

#forever alone

https://discord.gg/DVpAjgW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I have multiple emails long term :)

- My firstname.lastname for all "proper" stuff
    - A 2nd I've pretty much retired now
    - A 3rd for forums etc

Also had the same mobile number since 1998! :D

When rocketmail was bought by Yahoo, they let me have a second email address so I chose firstname.lastname@yahoo.com that I use for proper stuff. Since android came along, I got a Gmail address and all my rocketmail and yahoo emails come through the Gmail app.

I've only had the same mobile number since 2000. My brother gave me his old mobile, so I assume the number's been in the family since 1998.

• Advertisement

*NUDGE*

and your whole computer would shake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Some of these sounds bring back memories :pac:

Succubus_ wrote: »
    I wonder do the young folk even know what cybering is :D

Think they call it "sexting" now or just "fun". If someone asks you in a chat room if you want to have "fun" be aware they actually mean "Do you want to be naked in front of a camera for me".

I wandered into a few chat rooms of late and basically they all seem to be a stop-ground to move on to something else. So rather than make any conversation at all - people just ask you if you have KIK, SnapChat or Gruveo mainly. The last of which I have no idea what it is but had it mentioned to me 20 times in a chat room. I get the feeling it is a video chat software.

It is a shame as I always liked having a chat room open while I work - as a lot of my work involves waiting for things to finish running on my computer. So was always nice to have the distractions.

But now there is no real chat room left that I can find. And the popular ones are either the depths of sexual depravity now (kisschat comes to mind).

Or there is no chat room in it any more rather only 1-1 conversation possibilities (ChatIW comes to mind there). Which I guess does away with the need for chat room moderators but it does away with actual chat too! My GF also uses chat rooms on occasion and ChatIW is pretty much the only one that she finds fellow Irish people on in any number.

So not sure what chat rooms are still out there worth using? Someone said there are some on Discord. But I have not checked that myself.
    Was more an IRC man myself. mIRC was where all the cool kids were.

Used that so much in my teens. From the IOL and Indigo servers to - eventually - the Phishy one. The last of those died a very slow death kept alive by only 4 or 5 users who could not let it go. One of which was an awful girl/woman - one of the worst people I ever knew - who made it her life mission to convince each chatter that each other chatter were awful people who did or said awful things they never actually did.

But mostly my memories from those days was positive and some great people. After that it was Kangochat and Oceanfree for awhile.

I assume IRC still is going? Undernet and Dalnet did not look like they would ever die. And I think a few chat rooms on the Web with graphical interfaces are actually just IRC in the background and you could connect to them just as well with IRC clients. I think UKChatterBox or whatever it is now called is an example of this. But now that site and its spin off sites like UKChatters all have aobut 5 people on them when it used to be 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Some of the games were fun when chatting with someone. Like X and O's.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Was more an IRC man myself. mIRC was where all the cool kids were.

Nope, we were rocking BitchX. The aul wans were on mIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Still is too :D
    petes wrote: »
    irc was where it was at

just a reminder....

https://discord.gg/atARkb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Alecto

and another reminder! Come and join me, I won't bite, or will I? :p

https://discord.gg/rWgta2

That link expires in a day so PM me if you want in once it expires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Alecto wrote: »
    and another reminder! Come and join me, I won't bite, or will I? :p

https://discord.gg/rWgta2

That link expires in a day so PM me if you want in once it expires.
    Aaah, welcome back! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Alecto

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Aaah, welcome back! :)

Ah thank you! It's nice to be back :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement