Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dole needlessly raised

• 22-03-2019 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

giphy.gif.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thinly veiled dole thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,142 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

best get in before the lock

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Why are we not allowed to criticise the Dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yale could use another Dole thread!

N0V9.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Get out of here!!

I'm not made of airports!!

• Advertisement

Censorship from the libtard SJW snowflakes isn't it?
    Or maybe it's tired and there are many already?
    Or gets populated by FG'ers angry at FG for their lot and looking to blame the sick and poor?
    Take a pick :)

Censorship from the libtard SJW snowflakes isn't it?
    Or maybe it's tired and there are many already?
    Or gets populated by FG'ers angry at FG for their lot and looking to blame the sick and poor?
    Take a pick :)
    I wasn't being serious. The Dole thanks you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Lower all social welfare payments by 15%. Ring-fence that money and put it into social and affordable housing. That would benefit society much more.

I wasn't being serious. The Dole thanks you.

He prefers 'Bob'.

Lower all social welfare payments by 15%. Ring-fence that money and put it into social and affordable housing. That would benefit society much more.

What about poor and sick people who have a home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Because Bob worked tirelessly for 30+ yrs for the good people of Kansas.

Gave every blood sweat and tear to the job.

He would've been President too if the Clinton mob hadn't rigged the election in collusion with the Cubans.

Lower all social welfare payments by 15%. Ring-fence that money and put it into social and affordable housing.
    That would benefit society much more.
    How about we lower it by 15%, put a fence around the money and let everyone fight for it.
    Hunger Games meets WWE.

That archery training will finally have a use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Screen-Shot-2015-07-03-at-12-39-24.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He prefers 'Bob'.

Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole.

6NJajn.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Because Bob worked tirelessly for 30+ yrs for the good people of Kansas.

Gave every blood sweat and tear to the job.

He would've been President too if the Clinton mob hadn't rigged the election in collusion with the Cubans.

Absolute revisionist bullsh*t. All Bob dole cared about was abortions for some and miniature American flags for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

Lower all social welfare payments by 15%

good luck with that, the high majority of the professional protestors you see picketing for free public everything are also professionally unemployed who blame the bankers and government for everything and think throwing more money at **** public services and taxing the rich is the solution the housing crisis

the day that gets passed is the day pigs fly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,459 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They are doing better than those poor and sick people that don't have a home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

they'll be given cushy jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

they'll be given cushy jobs

In social welfare offices giving out dole payments? :)

They'll be given a 2kg block of cheese every 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I love Dole pineapples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

They'll be given a 2kg block of cheese every 3 months.

How about 3kg every 2 months and some tea.

Ah Tea party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Raising the SW payment is fine, it’s the length of time that people are allowed lounge around on it the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dunno why people are down on the sole. Pensions are a much bigger expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wouldn't let people living on a couple of hundred euro a week spoil my weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lawred2 wrote: »
    They are doing better than those poor and sick people that don't have a home

Nope, not necessarily. They likely have mortgages to pay, which the dole doesn't cover.

Whereas the non home owners ger rent allowance or HAP on top of the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I know someone who chooses not to work.
    She has a council flat, 30 seconds walk from St Stephen's Green.
    Has a trained skill, and could work in the morning, but will not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭MFPM

Or raise corportaion tax, introdcue a wealth tax, abolish tax incentives on REITs but yeah let's target those on very very low incomes for the 'benefit' of society.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,906 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I know someone who chooses not to work. She has a council flat, 30 seconds walk from St Stephen's Green. Has a trained skill, and could work in the morning, but will not.

So what's the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

She has a council flat, 30 seconds walk from St Stephen's Green.
    Has a trained skill, and could work in the morning, but will not.

Apparently everyone on boards knows someone that "chooses" to be on the dole.

I'm sure it's a very fulfilling life sitting at home all day doing nothing, would love to do it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I wouldn't let people living on a couple of hundred euro a week spoil my weekend

You should call to a local halting site and see how much a couple with 8 kids pullin annually ..

The real problem is they never will or have done a days work and laugh about it ....I’ve no bother with someone who worked for 10 years who can’t get a job ...travellers are making up close on 40% of the welfare bill..

MFPM wrote:
    Or raise corportaion tax, introdcue a wealth tax, abolish tax incentives on REITs but yeah let's target those on very very low incomes for the 'benefit' of society.

This would interfere with project 'trickle down'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'm sure it's a very fulfilling life sitting at home all day doing nothing, would love to do it myself.

It's a bit like being an arts student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It's not people on a couple of hundred a week who are the problem, it's people who play the system long term. They work just enough hours part time to keep the dole/HAP/fuel allowance/FIS/whatever else while waiting on the list to get a forever home, so they end up with more money than someone working full time who gets no assistance. There is no incentive for them to give up all the benefits and work full time.

Round everyone on the dole up and put them in work camps. As soon as you lose or quit your job, bam, work camp. Forever. And blare messages all day telling them they're worthless. And feed them stale bread twice a day.

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote:
    It's not people on a couple of hundred a week who are the problem, it's people who play the system long term. They work just enough hours part time to keep the dole/HAP/fuel allowance/FIS/whatever else while waiting on the list to get a forever home, so they end up with more money than someone working full time who gets no assistance. There is no incentive for them to give up all the benefits and work full time.

Maybe the problem is more so with the facts that wage inflation has remained low compared to rapidly rising asset prices, in particular housing, just maybe!

LuasSimon wrote: »
    travellers are making up close on 40% of the welfare bill..

Have you got a statistic or source to back up that claim?

We're spending €3.19 billion on social protection in the form of income supports this year so travellers are costing the state €1.276 billion in social welfare?

Hahaha yeah right if you're gonna bash travellers at least use some accurate statistics!

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    It's a bit like being an arts student.

Wow as an arts student this severely triggers me and I am greatly offended by your statement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Wow as an arts student this severely triggers me and I am greatly offended by your statement!

Apologies. I just remember living with arts students and one non-student and not knowing the difference until months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Imagine how you're going to feel if you ever get a job and your boss expects you to actually do some work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Why is the dole payment rate not linked to the unemployment rate?

When we are near full employment and it's almost impossible not to get a job, if you are looking, it should be cut to encourage people to get a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This is the issue. People who are able bodied, healthy and able to work and will not. NOT people who have become ill, have loans, bills, possibly young mouths to feed and other natural expenses while in recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,142 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

When we are near full employment and it's almost impossible not to get a job, if you are looking, it should be cut to encourage people to get a job.

the problem is that cutting it doesn't seem to encourage people to get a job. it just makes the genuine worse off. those who want to work will work whatever the dole rate.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Stop now. Don't be asking sensible questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

bluewolf wrote: »
    Round everyone on the dole up and put them in work camps. As soon as you lose or quit your job, bam, work camp. Forever. And blare messages all day telling them they're worthless. And feed them stale bread twice a day.

Finally, we'll have a workforce to build that eight-lane motorway into the middle of Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bluewolf wrote: »

Its work camp. Yay they need striped jackwts too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I don't believe we're near full employment, that's the government massaging the figures. If you ever look on JobsIreland, half the vacancies are for Community Employment schemes, which are paid for by the taxpayer. Plus there's all the people doing FAS courses or whatever they're called now. All those people are still effectively getting the dole but because the payment falls under another name, they are taken off the live register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Saw this interesting statistic/graph released by the European Commission 15/03/19

D174zyhX0AEvkRq.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D174zyhX0AEvkRq.jpg

Edit - based on GDP not GNI, which some say is misleading re Ireland. But still....

Advertisement