Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times they are a changing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

We live in a culture of users and social media narcissists sadly. The 'innocence' is gone out of dating and is nearly perceived as a weakness. That said, I think the strongest bonds are now formed where you meet your partner in non nightclub/pub scenarios. i think where a conversation is formed first and foremost, it allows any possibility to flourish. The club and pub scene just doesnt do that any more.

I agree. Hate the pub/nightclub scene for meeting women cos they are assuming you're gonna be approaching them with a game plan and it all feels too staged. Much better getting to know people through work or extra curricular activities and form a bond that way imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

As Purple Mountain says, that nonsense has been around for decades. There's no "nowadays" or "sadly" or caused by social media about it.

Ye bunch of wannabe old fogeys. :p

Definitely. I live in very rural Ireland and there would always have been a conversation between me and any exs as to whether we were bf and gf or just "meeting". Ie. Just getting the shift every now and then.
    Sure jesus do none of you watch Love Island?
    "Dani/Megan/Kaz, I was wondering if you'd be me girlfriend?".

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I predict within a few years - there will be a ‘consent app’ where two people will have to finger print / verbal record consent before copulating.

WOW!!! That was prescient!!

Seems like someone is working on just such an app, but UCD is "apologising" to those asked to participate in its development.

I have long thought that this would be the way to go, a sort of "opt-in" add on to apps like Tinder that each party would have to sign, digitally or otherwise, before any hanky panky developed. Absence of such a "consent form" could be construed as absence of consent in any subsequent legal nastiness, given that the defence in many rape/sexual assault cases is "But I thought she was up for it!"

But apparently, something that might clarify matters and give some reassurance to the male party is not to be countenanced.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

WOW!!! That was prescient!!

Seems like someone is working on just such an app, but UCD is "apologising" to those asked to participate in its development.

I have long thought that this would be the way to go, a sort of "opt-in" add on to apps like Tinder that each party would have to sign, digitally or otherwise, before any hanky panky developed. Absence of such a "consent form" could be construed as absence of consent in any subsequent legal nastiness, given that the defence in many rape/sexual assault cases is "But I thought she was up for it!"

But apparently, something that might clarify matters and give some reassurance to the male party is not to be countenanced
    Maybe because there are some very serious flaws with it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nowadays kids dont know if they're boy/girl trans or fcukin' neutral. There's a young one lives across from me and thinks she's a traffic cone .
    Doesn't matter as long it's conesensul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ridiculous = Consent App = UCD Controversy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Well we always had to do the ''are we just meeting or are we going out'' dance since I was a teenager, and now I'm 30 things seem to be the same. If you're just riding someone you basically forgo all the pros and cons of a relationship. It's just riding, no pressies like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Succubus_ wrote: »
    It's just riding, no pressies like.

You're package is the only package she's getting sorta thing

Advertisement