Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nobody will help you

• 23-10-2018 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6 Smith4

Get attacked in the street by scumbags wielding chains, nobody even looks at you, nothing is happening. Somebody stealing your bike, not a single **** is given.
    Was going home after work and getting ready to go on my bicycle when I see a scumbag walking between all the bikes trying to take one, I could see two lads standing nearby and wanted to see what they would do. The scumbag kept trying to take one of the bikes and all they did was smile and ignore it, I got really pissed off at this point and told the thieving scumbag to **** off and he did but I ended up being more pissed off at the lads doing nothing while they were standing right beside him. Just a lesson, it seems like there are many people around you but nobody will do **** to help you out if you need it, it's all about being selfish and not looking out for each other.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Cities are jungles. I left Dublin almost a decade ago and never looked back. Well that is not true. I call for shopping trips occasionally and get reminded of the basis for my decision.
    Some of humanity's greatness is evident in cities but you must then tolerate its worst.

• It’s nothing to do with not caring. But there’s a scarily high chance that sumbga you tell to piss off won’t think twice about putting a knife into your belly. Is that worth it to save someone else’s bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Very brave of you to inflict a stabby junkie on two lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I think the most that can be expected in regard to crimes against property is that youcontact the Guards and if can be done without riskof harm to yourself let the scumbag know the guards have been alerted.

Violent crime is different especially at night when drink and drugs are involved. Intervene in a street brawl and you could end up seriously injured yourself, maybe even arrested if the guards arrive and see you involved. They usually hit first and ask questions later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you could rely on Garda help then more might intervene or at least report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

topper75 wrote: »
    Cities are jungles. I left Dublin almost a decade ago and never looked back. Well that is not true. I call for shopping trips occasionally and get reminded of the basis for my decision.
    Some of humanity's greatness is evident in cities but you must then tolerate its worst.

I live in Dublin city centre. It's fine. I have never been mugged or even threatened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Smith4 wrote: »
    Get attacked in the street by scumbags wielding chains, nobody even looks at you, nothing is happening. Somebody stealing your bike, not a single **** is given.
    Was going home after work and getting ready to go on my bicycle when I see a scumbag walking between all the bikes trying to take one, I could see two lads standing nearby and wanted to see what they would do. The scumbag kept trying to take one of the bikes and all they did was smile and ignore it, I got really pissed off at this point and told the thieving scumbag to **** off and he did but I ended up being more pissed off at the lads doing nothing while they were standing right beside him. Just a lesson, it seems like there are many people around you but nobody will do **** to help you out if you need it, it's all about being selfish and not looking out for each other.

So there was actually no scumbag wielding a chain?

Clickbait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Rule 1 of living in the city is dont talk to strangers ,don,t stare at people ,
    don,t get involved in a fight .Its very risky to talk to people who might be drunk, or under the influence of drugs.
    IF you break these rules you may end up injured .
    A bike is not worth risking injury for .
    Dublin is no worse than most citys ,
    x per cent of people are criminals or junkies .
    You can take a photo from a safe distance or call the gardai,
    its not required that you must intervene in every incident.
    IF you want perfect peace do not live in a city or else do not go out after
    6pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I work in Dublin but live down the country, the small bit of interaction is more than enough for me.

Rough AF place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I live in Dublin city centre. It's fine. I have never been mugged or even threatened.

The fact that someone has to point this out speaks volumes of how bad Dublin has become.

• Advertisement

Ronin247 wrote: »
    The fact that someone has to point this out speaks volumes of how bad Dublin has become.

The fact that someone has to point this out speaks volumes of how bad "scaremongering" has become

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Smith4

begbysback wrote: »
    The fact that someone has to point this out speaks volumes of how bad "scaremongering" has become

You obviously notice nothing in your shelter away from the reality. "I can't see it therefore it doesn't happen!" leave your house for once, it doesn't happen occasionally, it happens all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You’re alright jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BoneIdol

Somebody stealing your bike, not a single **** is given.
    Was going home after work and getting ready to go on my bicycle when I see a scumbag walking between all the bikes trying to take one, I could see two lads standing nearby and wanted to see what they would do.

Nobody gives a ****e about someone else's bike and neither would you if you didn't have a vested interest. Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

BoneIdol wrote: »
    Nobody gives a ****e about someone else's bike and neither would you if you didn't have a vested interest. Get over yourself.

agree with this somewhat though i wouldnt have been as blunt...

its part of human nature. our vested interests come first. flight or flight kicks upon seeing something unfold like the OP's bike incident, and some rise to the occasion with bravery and others do nothing for fear of harm to them and theirs. try to remember its not malicious, its just primal fear. we'd all like to help, if helping you was easy, but its not and it comes with risk.

we'd all like to think we'd be the hero in these situations, but until faced with them you cant be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

BoneIdol wrote: »

You're backing up the OP's point here, nobody cares or at least nobody is prepared to help in a lot of situations.

Personally I think it's fairly sh!te if you'd happily stand there and watch someone's bike being robbed.

You're backing up the OP's point here, nobody cares or at least nobody is prepared to help in a lot of situations.

Personally I think it's fairly sh!te if you'd happily stand there and watch someone's bike being robbed.

If your bike costs more than a hundred quid and you're leaving it locked in public in Dublin you are an idiot. I have no intention of getting in an altercation over a bike ffs. If somebody was being assaulted in a busy place I can't imagine people would do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

riclad wrote: »
    don,t get involved in a fight .Its very risky to talk to people who might be drunk, or under the influence of drugs.
    IF you break these rules you may end up injured .
    A bike is not worth risking injury for .
    Dublin is no worse than most citys ,
    x per cent of people are criminals or junkies .
    You can take a photo from a safe distance or call the gardai,
    its not required that you must intervene in every incident.
    IF you want perfect peace do not live in a city or else do not go out after
    6pm.

Did you not post pretty much this exact same comment on another thread recently??? I dunno what Dublin you're living in but it bears absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to the one I know and love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

don,t get involved in a fight .
    That's 3 rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I remember about 10 years ago at Clontarf train station a couple of scrotes trying to knick a bike and the Iarnrod Eireann employee working selling tickets SAW THEM and did nothing ... and he knew what they were doing cos he kept looking at them, probably wondering whether to call the cops or not ... but he didn't.

Unreal.

• Advertisement

There was no one being attacked, why would anyone wish to get involved.
    I like dublin, but in Every city there are some people who get drunk at night or some people who take illegal drugs, why would dublin be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Did you not post pretty much this exact same comment on another thread recently??? I dunno what Dublin you're living in but it bears absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to the one I know and love.
    These kinds of posts come from culchies who've never seen another city. They compare Dublin with Ballinrobe, and it terrifies them. I've lived in Dublin my whole life. I've seen more crime in individual weekends in other places than I've seen here in decades. There's crime here, but the statistics are pretty clear - it's unremarkable as cities go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,773 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Of course, the two lads may have been with him...

I think dublin is average in regards to crime compared to london, new york ,other large citys .It might be a shock to someone from a rural
    area ,to see homeless people , people sleeping on the streets ,or groups of people who might be under the influence of drugs .
    I think in general dublin is a good place to live .

I think dublin is average in regards to crime compared to london, new york ,other large citys .It might be a shock to someone from a rural
    area ,to see homeless people , people sleeping on the streets ,or groups of people who might be under the influence of drugs .
    I think in general dublin is a good place to live .

It goes both ways though. Head down to most rural towns from Dublin and end up in the same pub as the youngsters with their clapped out bangers parked outside with Paul Walker stickers emblazoned on the back and raging pissed on whatever ****e they're drinking and it can be intimidating enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

mikhail wrote: »
    There's crime here, but the statistics are pretty clear - it's unremarkable as cities go.

As other Irish cities? Or do statistics point that dublin hasn't got more crime than cities like London Birmingham, Paris Brussels etc....which are all much larger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

As other Irish cities? Or do statistics point that dublin hasn't got more crime than cities like London Birmingham, Paris Brussels etc....which are all much larger.
    Crime stats are normalised for population. They wouldn't be very useful otherwise.

Just a lesson, it seems like there are many people around you but nobody will do **** to help you out if you need it, it's all about being selfish and not looking out for each other.

Well there used to be the idea of the Bystander Effect - which suggests that in human nature the more people around there is to help the less likely it will be someone actually will. However upon research it seems the concept is mostly based on a partially fabricated story - though some subsequent research _Suggests_ the effect may be real. More research needed.

I think it simplistic however to put it down solely to selfishness. Some anecdotes that I directly experiences and witnessed - and a couple I only heard third hand - might highlight this issue:
    • One friend of mine I witnessed step into a handbag grab / mugging thing. He prevented the theft but while doing it knocked the woman over who was being mugged. Sent the thief packing. The woman thanked him profusely - cops were called statements and details given. They all went home. Later - whether on her own steam or someone put the idea in her head - the "thankful" woman suddenly went into "compo" mode and made my friends life hell for awhile demanding reparation for his having knocked her over.
    • I read a story on boards.ie I think where someone stepped into an altercation between a man and his wife. He was twisting her arm and even back hand slapped her. Scream shouting at her the whole time. Plenty of shouts of pain from her. Yet when he stepped in _they both_ turned on him physically for sticking his nose in where it was not asked for.
    • For my own part I was sitting in Busaras waiting for a bus to Cork once. I noticed a girl who looked barely old enough to be travelling alone. Quite pretty and timid looking girl. Pretty much as I noticed her however a man came and sat beside her. Talked to her. Then reached for her around the midrif area. She slapped his hand away. This happened a few times and I noticed only then the girl seemed upset. So I moved to intervene thinking this was some kind of sexual approach. Turns out it was her dad - she had had a wasp sting - he wanted to see it to see if it required treatment - she, like many wounded kids, did not want anyone near it. 100% innocent scenario! He was not happy at my intervention or the implications of my intervention. But thankfully was reasonable in the end when I explained how it had looked and that if it _had_ been a sexual predator - would he prefer someone step in or not?
    • Another situation I heard about third hand - and a common one - was someone stepping into a bullying or attack situation and themselves getting quite badly injured. A knife was pulled - or other mates stepped in to the fight.

So yea it is easy just to scream at people for being selfish. But between danger and compo culture and simple misunderstandings - our intuitions and our motivations and our incentives are simply misaligned in society and culture. When people do not step in - there is generally a lot more than mere simplistic selfishness in play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Gordon: And what about escalation?
    Batman: Escalation?
    Gordon: We start carrying semi-automatics, they buy automatics. We start wearing Kevlar … they buy armor-piercing rounds.
    Batman: And?
    Gordon: And you're wearing a mask ... and jumping off rooftops. Now, take this new guy. Armed robbery, double homicide. Got a taste for the theatrical. Like you. Leaves a calling card

thats the real worry,

• Advertisement

These kinds of posts come from culchies who've never seen another city. They compare Dublin with Ballinrobe, and it terrifies them. I've lived in Dublin my whole life. I've seen more crime in individual weekends in other places than I've seen here in decades. There's crime here, but the statistics are pretty clear - it's unremarkable as cities go.

I live in Dublin, there are Garda cars permanently stationed in many estates and it feels like a scene from walking dead once you enter these estates, I bypass them on my way to training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Ireland is claim and scam central now, so best not get involved in anything that doesn't concern you. Whether it be to stop someone or help someone, it's nothing to do with me

begbysback wrote: »
    So there was actually no scumbag wielding a chain?

Clickbait

That was another story, I was walking down O'Connell street around 10pm and see a scumbag without a shirt running towards me with a chain. I've seen from before that he was jumped by another 4 scumbags and after he was beat up, he thought that I was one of the scumbags which did and proceeded to try to attack me with a chain until his gf or friend ran up to him and told him that it wasn't me who beat him up so he started charging towards the scumbags who did.
    In reality, how am I to protect myself at night? Leave my job, don't go outside? Are these the solutions for this? Why you cannot carry a concealed firearm after passing through strict testing, I honestly wouldn't mind doing strict firearm testing which would cost a lot of money and time for me, it would be worth it and it would not be like USA where you could buy an AR 15 in wallmart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Feisar

I spent years studying and working in Dublin, still do on occassion.

Who are all these people that get accosted?

First they came for the socialists...

That was another story, I was walking down O'Connell street around 10pm and see a scumbag without a shirt running towards me with a chain. I've seen from before that he was jumped by another 4 scumbags and after he was beat up, he thought that I was one of the scumbags which did and proceeded to try to attack me with a chain until his gf or friend ran up to him and told him that it wasn't me who beat him up so he started charging towards the scumbags who did.
    In reality, how am I to protect myself at night? Leave my job, don't go outside? Are these the solutions for this? Why you cannot carry a concealed firearm after passing through strict testing, I honestly wouldn't mind doing strict firearm testing which would cost a lot of money and time for me, it would be worth it and it would not be like USA where you could buy an AR 15 in wallmart.

Word of advice chief - stay away from the television

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

These kinds of posts come from Dubs who've never seen another city ...thinks he's Mr Urbane from midtown.Most Irish people I've met in London or NY, and who have lived and thrived there for years ,are culchies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Let's bring you back down to reality with some research based on evidence.

This is a long read but interesting none the less.
    In 80% of the cases I've analysed, the knife is kept hidden until the very last moment. That is until the attack is launched.
    70.6% of knife attacks are launched within 3 feet of the victim
    Your concealed firearm is useless when they get the jump on you. Surely you know about the "21 foot" rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

I live in Dublin, there are Garda cars permanently stationed in many estates

No, there aren't.

Advertisement