Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Fixtures Week 5 March 27-28th, 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Didn't see a thread for this week from -dfx so took the liberty of opening one if that's OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hoping Cork can keep the solid start going . First away win be nice. Would expect 3 points but don't expect stroll in park either.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Missing Anto for tomorrow, which is a blow as he's been fantastic for us this season. Lopes can cover adequately, but that means we'll miss him in the middle, and he's had a very good start to the season as well.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Anything other than 3 points away to Bray is unacceptable even at this early stage. We have a decent record up there and would fully expect that to continue Saturday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

First time heading to Ferrycarrig tomorrow. Looking forward to it. There's a bus (that term is probably being used very loosely) of UCD fans heading down for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hoping Cork can keep the solid start going . First away win be nice. Would expect 3 points but don't expect stroll in park either.

Bray cant score to save their lives, don't see why it'll change this weekend. While I wouldn't expect Cork to have it easy, the scoreline will be a 2 goals difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I see RTE are Pissing around with KO times again, hope it doesn't affect attendance too much

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The champions are on the box against Sligo Rovers so I'm guessing that will take a few hundred off our attendance. Would be nice to get over 3000 again for the third home game running. Sligo have started pretty poorly so you'd have to hope Dundalk continue their 100% record and pick up all three points.

I was at the Sligo game when they played Drogheda a couple of weeks ago and their left back Danny Ledwith was woeful so hopefully we can get some joy down that side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Buzzing for the game tomorrow

Anto Murphy is a massive loss I kinda fear for Bohs but the lads have been superb so far, hopefully another big performance tomorrow, would be very happy with the draw.

com'on Bohs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know its early in the season, but think we really need a win in the Brandywell this week v Drogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

First Dublin Derby of the season out in Tallaght tonight. Unmissable game. Have a customised flag made up for the occasion and all.

10610723_859205460786367_6188515404501567830_n.jpg?oh=63f2f76e91d38dc007bf6f70e2effc3d&oe=55B93E36

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭ratracer

I hope Galway can build on the one win so far and get a home win against Longford Town tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Nice Flag. Pity about the sentiment:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Dundalk haven't been playing particularly well but should still have too much for Sligo, who've made a terrible start. Anything less than a win will be a huge disappointment.

If Bohs play as well against Rovers as they did against Dundalk they could pull off a shock.

Wrote up a preview for a lot of tonight's
    games here: http://www.irishtipster.com/index.php/previews/1-27-03-league-of-ireland-predictions
    Dundalk v Sligo Rovers

The tie of the day features two of the better sides in the league, both with differing fortunes so far in the league, with Dundalk winning all their opening four fixtures and Sligo failing to produce a win in their opening 4 fixtures. Under Owen Heary with heavy investment, it was expected that Sligo would be performing better than their 2 points show, and they were arguably unfortunate to take nothing from their recent tie against Shamrock Rovers.

Heary expects one of the toughest tests of the season going to Dundalk tomorrow: “They are a very good side that have been together for three years now and are well tuned in to what they have to do. They are the champions and play on the astro pitch so it is a very difficult place to go. But we are going to go there and be positive and look to take the game to them. If we can eradicate the mistakes we have been making then we can take something from the game.

“We want to go and win the game. We will not be going there and looking for a draw, you can’t have that negative approach. If you sit back and defend that plays into their hands they will hurt you. We have the quality, the ability and the skill in our team so that is what we will be trying to do.”

Dundalk come into this fixture having trounced Bohemians in a 3-0 victory where they really flattered to deceive.

Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny has already come out and added to the building tension before the game stating:

"We won't do a Sligo"

“Not only did it count for nothing, they finished miles (it was only two points) behind us. I remember thinking ‘Jesus’ when they beat us 3-1 in the first series of games. Then we lost at home to Derry weeks later. We were 12 points behind Sligo and I was thinking we had a long way to go to get to that level. It was a real seminal moment for me, where I had to go back to the drawing board and think ‘where am I going with this? I know you shouldn’t expect too much too soon, but I did."

Kenny added: “We had something like a 22-point swing with Sligo but that won’t happen to us because all the players in our dressing room are just so hungry and good professionals. There’s a culture of the team comes first and that’s very important to us. We need to keep expressing ourselves and scoring the goals we can.”

Bohs were better value than Tuesday’s 3-0 scoreline suggests but they tired late on after losing Anto Murphy to a red card early in the second-half. And having given it everything, they were swatted aside in the dying minutes when subs Jake Kelly and Darren Meenan scored to gloss over their scrappy opener.

Kenny said: “We know we can play better and we’re not punching the air. 3-0 flattered us a little but we still haven’t conceded in four games and Tuesday’s game was probably the most chances we have conceded. We’ve to go again tomorrow and let’s see if we can have a magical week. We had two big teams, St Pat’s and Bohemians, and to win both 3-0 was convincing enough.”

With both sides playing midweek and again on Friday it'll be their 3rd game in 7 days, but Heary doesn’t feel that should be an issue: “We have been going from games to recovery and straight back to games again. That makes it difficult to work on the things we want to work on in training but I still expect the players to be fresh. They will definitely be up for it. The game is on tv and that often give the players that extra motivation to do well. We will be going out there to show everyone what we are about and hopefully we can get the three points to kick start our season.”

Prediction 2-1

Derry v Drogheda

Two sides who'll finish around 6th-8th in the league, Drogheda will be without Alan Byrne who's suspended after taking down Paul O'Connor in the box in their last game against Limerick, where the Drogs came back late on to draw with one of the worst sides in the league Limerick.

Derry have had the tougher start to the season coming up against title contenders Sligo, Dundalk and Pats, while amassing 4 points, with their only win coming from an away trip to Galway. Drogheda on the other hand have taken 7 from a possible 12, though having played Bray, Galway, and Limerick already, and struggling twice against Galway who're weak, and Limerick who're also a poor side.

Derry City's Shane McEleney is hoping his side can repeat last years FAI Cup Quarter Final Replay result and smash Drogheda 5-0. The big centre-back, who has knuckled down so much this season that he’s virtually the first name on Peter Hutton’s team-sheet, insists there is more to come from him. Derry though do have injuries to worry about, with the side having a number of injury concerns for the upcoming fixture with Gerard Doherty (neck and shoulder), Shaun Kelly (ankle), Dean Jarvis (toe), Ryan McBride (back) and Philip Lowry (groin) all struggling.

Mark Timlin returns to the squad after serving his one match suspension, while Stephen Dooley has also started jogging, but he is likely to be still missing for another few weeks.

Derry at home, should beat a side who notoriously don't travel well, and have already been beaten by first division Shelbourne this season.

Prediction 2-0 Elding with both

Galway v Longford

Galway United FCVSLongford Town

We're only 5 games into the season and we're already potentially facing up to what could be a relegation six pointer in Galway against Longford this friday night.

Galway come into this fixture hoping to win two at home on the bounce, but will come under scrutiny against Longford Town this friday. After losing comfortably away to Cork City its looking likely that Galway will be reliant on its home form if they stand a chance of surviving in the League of Ireland's premier division this season. Last season the two sides met four times in the First Division with Longford beating Galway twice with Galway only winning once and the other fixture ending in a stalemate.

Galway's manager, Tommy Dunne, has already announced the importance of the fixture

“We know the Longford Town game is going to be a big one, against Cork City, there was some aspects of the game I was pleased with. Again, we need to tighten up from set pieces but at no stage in the game did I think Cork City overly troubled us from open play. We have little time to think about the Cork City game, now our focus is fixed on the Longford Town game and on getting another positive result at home, preferably a win.”

Dunne knows though with the injuries to his squad that a result at home will be difficult for his side to achieve with Galway picking up another injury to Ryan Connolly against Cork.

“We’re depleted at the moment, but we’re hoping Enda Curran and Colm Horgan will be back in contention while Sam Oji returns from suspension so that’s a boost. That’s the reason we have a squad. Just look at Andy O’Connell who came in and did really well at Turners Cross. Players are hungry to get involved and make their mark for Galway United. We might have to change things around a bit for the Longford Town game but I’m hopeful we can go and pick up another result at home. If the players apply themselves, I’m sure we will.”

For the fixture Galway will be without, Cantwell, Hanley, Ludden, McDonagh, Connolly, and Curran and Horgan are both doubtful but are expected to be fit in time for the game.

Longford come into the fixture having beaten Bray 2-0 at home in what was a comfortable victory De Town go into the fixture full of confidence that they can beat Galway.Longford strengthened smartly over the summer with Connor Powell joining the experienced squad full of league winners in Pat Sullivan, Pat Flynn, Stephen Rice and Mark Rossiter. With goal machine David O'Sullivan and this experience the Town should get a result away from home.

Prediction 1-2

Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians

After a shaky start Rovers are starting to tick, they've invested wisely over the summer and under Pat Fenlon they're sure to become stronger and stronger as the season progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Just seen that the Cork fans stole the Pats 'We write our own history' slogan for a banner.

Guessing there's more than a little bit of tongue in cheek there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CSF wrote: »
    Just seen that the Cork fans stole the Pats 'We write our own history' slogan for a banner.

Buy our own history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Make up our own history.

Cork City Friends of the Rebel Army Society Co-op Football Club 2011 4lyf yo.

Make up our own history.

Cork City Friends of the Rebel Army Society Co-op Football Club 2011 4lyf yo.

I feel I use the word obsessed a lot. Its little wonder.

Enjoy the Shell's "history" lads, because the future is a dark abyss for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

It must really eat away at people to see us become the biggest club in the country after only 5 years. Some clubs are trying it since the late 1890's.

• Advertisement

And we haven't even won anything since the 1st Division in 2011. Imagine what its going to be like when we do win the league.

CHealy wrote: »
    It must really eat away at people to see us become the biggest club in the country after only 5 years. Some clubs are trying it since the late 1890's.

Without wanting to delve too deep into the usual 3 page long slinging match, I don't think a club can become the biggest club in the country without a major honour to its name.

Biggest club in the country who have won the sum total of a first division title in those five years. Big clubs generally win stuff.

Meh. Brace yourselves. We will win the league and cup double this season as well as progress to the group stages of the EL.

Ahem, we've won the League of Ireland 1st Division, WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT????????

Ahem, we've won the League of Ireland 1st Division, WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT????????

Until you've won the Leinster Senior Cup in the Carlisle Grounds, you're nothing.

Anyway back on topic, anything less than a win against Bray tomorrow is a disaster. Whats the pitch like at the Carlisle these days?

Also, why is Shamrock v Bohs not the game on tv? Dundalk v Sligo is a good game but I'd rather watch the Dublin derby for a bit of entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I doubt Pats fans own the copyright to something as generic as that. Fans have had banners to that effect since the dawn of football supportership.

gimmick wrote: »
    I feel I use the word obsessed a lot. Its little wonder.

Enjoy the Shell's "history" lads, because the future is a dark abyss for ye.

No no, you don't understand. They do NOT care about Cork City. Not at all, not in the slightest. They're just popping in for their monthly reminder about how much they don't care.

Anyway back on topic, anything less than a win against Bray tomorrow is a disaster. Whats the pitch like at the Carlisle these days?

Also, why is Shamrock v Bohs not the game on tv? Dundalk v Sligo is a good game but I'd rather watch the Dublin derby for a bit of entertainment.
    I'm guessing it's because Rovers were on TV against Pats three weeks ago. RTE trying to spread out live games amongst teams. Also because we are champions and people love watching champions.

• Advertisement

Quite happy it's not on Tv, stops the KO time being moved to something stupid.

Quite happy it's not on Tv, stops the KO time being moved to something stupid.
    Isn't it generally moved to 7:35 ie ten minutes before the usual kick off?

7.05 I thought was the norm for televised games? Definitely was in previous seasons.

7.05 I thought was the norm for televised games? Definitely was in previous seasons.
    Now that you say that I do remember a few 7:05 kick off's in previous seasons. Ours is 7:35 this evening though.

Weird saying it after just five games but Heary already will be under a bit of pressure from the fans you'd imagine if he loses again this evening.

7.35 is grand in fairness, hopefully they'll stick with that.

Yeah Heary would definitely want to start picking up points. 2 points from 5 games would be a very poor start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Pighead wrote: »
    Isn't it generally moved to 7:35 ie ten minutes before the usual kick off?

Rovers normally KO at 8pm Pighead, it's not an issue for Dublin based teams when playing each other, but it could make a big difference to Sligo lads trying to get to Dundalk after work

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Going to be the usual slugfest and few goals in Tallaght. Again not a match for television...
    Mushy wrote: »
    Bray cant score to save their lives, don't see why it'll change this weekend. While I wouldn't expect Cork to have it easy, the scoreline will be a 2 goals difference.

Weather is very windy and rain on Saturday, might be a leveller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Team selection was baffling. We've a bench full of wingers and a ****e left back playing left midfield.

Dundalk should see this out comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭george67

Cabinteely 1 Waterford Utd 0

Galway Utd 1-2 Longford ( in goals)

Galway Utd 2-1 Longford ( in red cards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭baldshin

ratracer wrote: »
    Galway Utd 1-2 Longford ( in goals)

Galway Utd 2-1 Longford ( in red cards)

Crazy end to the game, no idea what the last 2 reds were for!

• Advertisement

Another great night up in Oriel and that's 21 home games without defeat. We played well for the first half hour and last twenty five minutes in what was probably our best display of the season. Finn was great again this evening as was Shields,, Horgan Meenan Towell and Massey (I haven't seen much of Ian Bermingham this season but Massey must surely now be rivalling him as the leagues best left back?

Great finish from McMillan for our first goal and he had another couple of decent efforts which were saved well. Still not entirely sure about him in that lone role up top as his first touch is a bit heavy and his hold up play isn't great. But in saying that he's got four goals and worked really hard.

Five games, five wins, 11 scored, none conceded. 100 games for Kenny in charge. It's been fun. Long may it last.

baldshin wrote: »
    Crazy end to the game, no idea what the last 2 reds were for!

I also don't know how three minutes injury time turned into seven!!!

Comfortable enough for us tonight at the Brandywell, very disappointed with Drogs, offered next to nothing.

Pleased with the teams performance as well. Thought Elding did well. Although not the most gifted footballer, he has attributes that can help most teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

4 games, 4 clean sheets and 2 goals scored in 3 of the games, would have taken that with both hands at the start of the year!

we were pretty poor tonight tho, very flat and were asking cobh to equalise before our late second. McHugh is still a class act, looks fitter than at any stage last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

That was my first Shels game since last season. The quality has dropped so far its unreal. On a positive note the O'Hara's in the bar after eased the pain.

Great start by you lot up there in Ballybofey, would be great to have you back up next season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

NIMAN wrote: »
    Comfortable enough for us tonight at the Brandywell, very disappointed with Drogs, offered next to nothing.

Pleased with the teams performance as well. Thought Elding did well. Although not the most gifted footballer, he has attributes that can help most teams.

I know it was only a pre-season friendly, but in the Malone Cup they came and parked the bus. In a friendly. I was gobsmacked as were many around me

I think they will take some beatings off the top teams but will pick up pints against the bottom 4/5 and will finish mid table

Looking forward to playing them in Oriel in 2 weeks though. If they come and park the bus, and we play well, should be a another great night for Dundalk. Limerick next week should be a victory, but football has seen bigger shocks!

5 games, 5 wins, 11 goals, 0 against and all this without Stevie O Donnell, who is back for the Shels league cup game Tues week. He wont get on if the team continues like this. At the minute the starting 11 picks itself with only Mennan/Mountany the debate, Mennan was excellent but so was Mountany when he came on and has been for his 4 other games!
    Who will he replace, He was playing in Shields position with Towell and Finn ahead before he got injured. But drop Shields, surely not!

I know we are only 5 games in, but Dundalk are gonna take some stopping.
    You didn't play overly well at the Brandywell but got the 3pts and thats what makes league winners.

Very happy with a point out in Tallaght. Thought it was pretty even for the first 70 odd minutes, but they dominated the latter proceedings and Delaney made some great saves to earn us a point. Thought Stephen Best had a fantastic game at centre back covering for Anto.

10 points from 15 isn't a shabby start at all.

Thanks for taking Heary off our hands Sligo :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

NIMAN wrote: »
    Great start by you lot up there in Ballybofey, would be great to have you back up next season.
    ha would love to be back, but only done shels & waterford away yet and the bottom 2 at home... next 3, ucd (a), athlone (h) and wexford (a) will really show us where we are at now... had similiar starts the last few years and fell flat on our faces, and if we play like we did tonight against those 3, that will happen

• Advertisement
Advertisement