Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland vs Poland - March 29th 2015 (RTE2/19:45)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

If we don't beat Poland on Sunday then I'd imagine the best we can hope for is a play-off spot. I agree with Mr. Nice Guy that a win here would be one of the biggest results we've achieved in a long time, this game really could go either way, after getting 7 points from the first 3 games I was confident that this team could do well, but the Scotland game has really got me worried, that was not a match we should have lost and if we play like we did that night we can forget about getting a result.

The biggest result we have achieved in a long time hasnt been such a long time to be fair.... A point away to Germany was a massive result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Too much hype surrounding Poland who are certainly beatable. Germany battered them, got 22 shots on target against them. Poland got 6 on target & had one of those flukey nights & somehow managed to win. Scotland could just as easily have beaten them in their own backyard. They will be missing their first choice full backs & their replacements are not that great. Their tricky winger Grosicki is also a loss for them. They can definitely be got at defensively. Confident we can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Well lads, been trying for tickets all week to no avail. What's be best bet at this stage?

Don't really wanna hang around the stadium for them sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Got last minute tickets to this, hopefully we nick a win. I'd like to see:

Forde
    Coleman O'Shea Clark Wilson
    McGeady Meyler McCarthy Brady
    Walters
    Keane

Brady is worth his place for his set pieces alone, also he is less of a headless chicken than James McClean.

Is Brady not out injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Kirby wrote: »
    You don't base a decision like that off of one game....you base it off the entire campaign.

If we don't qualify at the end of the campaign, then you sack him.

And then what? You expect us to get out of a group with Germany/Poland/Scotland in it? Lol. If we get out I'll be amazed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rumours going around on twitter and YBIG that Martin O'Neill might play a 3-5-2 formation, with O'Shea, Wilson & McShane as the starting centre backs. Probably the best formation we could use to suit the available players, but could be very risky trying it for the first time in such a big game, would imagine the Hull players will have a higher chance of starting if we use this formation as they use it week in week out, hence McShane getting the nod ahead of Clark.

I'd say he will play at least one of Meyler or Quinn, possibly both. McCarthy is guaranteed to start but after that I wouldn't think anyone from midfield or up front is guaranteed a game. Would love to see this team but don't think Hoolahan will start:

Forde

McShane--O'Shea--Wilson
    Coleman
    Brady
    McCarthy---Whelan

Hoolahan

Walters
    Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Speculation that MON will go with a 3-5-2 tomorrow. He used to deploy 3-5-2 for Celtic in big European games and it worked spectacularly well on occasions. 3-5-2 could get more out of Seamus Coleman - probably our best player. If it's Robbie Brady on the other side that would be a bold move for this match.

Rumours going around on twitter and YBIG that Martin O'Neill might play a 3-5-2 formation, with O'Shea, Wilson & McShane as the starting centre backs. Probably the best formation we could use to suit the available players, but could be very risky trying it for the first time in such a big game, would imagine the Hull players will have a higher chance of starting if we use this formation as they use it week in week out, hence McShane getting the nod ahead of Clark.

I'd say he will play at least one of Meyler or Quinn, possibly both. McCarthy is guaranteed to start but after that I wouldn't think anyone from midfield or up front is guaranteed a game. Would love to see this team but don't think Hoolahan will start:

Forde

McShane--O'Shea--Wilson
    Coleman
    Brady
    McCarthy---Whelan

Hoolahan

Walters
    Keane

It'll be Richard Keogh in central defense and McGeady where Hoolahan is if he goes with 3-5-2. Also I think Given might start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'm not sure the nation will be be able to cope if MON plays 3-5-2.

• Advertisement

Some very strange comments on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

A few posters here must be bitterly disappointed with McCarthys fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭briany

Too much hype surrounding Poland who are certainly beatable. Germany battered them, got 22 shots on target against them. Poland got 6 on target & had one of those flukey nights & somehow managed to win. Scotland could just as easily have beaten them in their own backyard. They will be missing their first choice full backs & their replacements are not that great. Their tricky winger Grosicki is also a loss for them. They can definitely be got at defensively. Confident we can do it.

It's about as simple as this - If Ireland sit back, Poland will get on the ball and grow in confidence. Bulgaria were beatable, Slovakia were beatable, Austria were beatable and even maybe Sweden were beatable in past tournaments, but Ireland allowed themselves to be dominated by each one because Ireland either just weren't interested in, or just weren't capable of, playing a constructive game and retaining possession.

It doesn't matter how 'average' a team is, Ireland actually have to come out and play and show some ambition to take control in order to take advantage of that. If they don't, they're always going to be in for a rough night.

There are times when it's necessary to sit back and absorb pressure, like v. Germany, because Germany are always going to be a side who can hurt you and have the pace to hit you with a stinging counter, but knocking the ball long and hoping for a fortuitous knockdown is a tactic that even at the best of times and with the best practitioners requires at least as much luck as skill. It's not a tactic to hang your hat on across the board. OK, Poland may be beatable, so go out there and BEAT them. Don't hope victory comes by way of serendipity and favorable wind direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,503 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Why all the negativity? We've had one bad result, v Scotland, and even that was hardly a catastrophe, we were away. I expect us to be a lot better at home and to beat Poland. And hopefully Roy won't releaIjse a book or get involved with a fan on the eve of the match.

We haven't really played well yet I suppose. Last twenty versus Germany aside perhaps.

It would be so deflating to lose. Couldn't see us recovering. Hopefully the atmosphere is better tomorrow then it has been, Aviva has been like a morgue since we moved in.

Forde

McShane--O'Shea--Wilson
    Coleman
    Brady
    McCarthy---Whelan

Hoolahan

Walters
    Keane

That's a bold formation and indeed personnel when you look at the wing backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

It hurts me to be so negative about the Irish team but I think we might just loose this one and if so its bye bye for the rest of the campaign. I hope not but the way the team have played so far things are not good. Even when Trap was involved I always stayed positive and I like the O Neill/Keane partnership but maybe the team is just not up to making us happy anymore :(

• Advertisement

obezyana wrote: »
    I like the O Neill/Keane partnership but maybe the team is just not up to making us happy anymore :(

Not a fan, would probably be happier with O'Neill on his own tbh, but if we lose or scrape a draw, we will limp through the rest of the campaign. A win or even a draw with a good performance is essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Not a fan, would probably be happier with O'Neill on his own tbh, but if we lose or scrape a draw, we will limp through the rest of the campaign. A win or even a draw with a good performance is essential.

Indeed. A win with a good performance could do the team wonders :) How great would that be........Its time it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

looking toward to the game tomorrow night 4 of us heading up for it I genuinely think we can beat the Poles but it will be a slog

Poland have 2 'dodgey' wing backs playing tomorrow, especially the left back Jakub Wawrzyniak. Coleman could have a field day against him. So im hopeing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I'd take a draw tomorrow but the reality is we need all 3 points, it's a huge game.

Milik is the player to watch,he I their danger player. Going to be 15,000 polish fans there I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think the statistic still holds that we haven't beaten a team ranked above us in a competitive game since the victory over the Dutch in 2001, nearly 15 years ago.

Wow I remember during Brian Kerr's reign that stat was going around. Depressing that it is still active

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'd be surprised if we beat Poland today tbh. Hope I'm wrong

Unearthly wrote: »
    Wow I remember during Brian Kerr's reign that stat was going around. Depressing that it is still active

It's probably quite a unique and distinguishing stat (not in the way you might want though) for a European side who's been to two major tournaments since that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Where would be the best pubs today where the fans would be?

Think it will be a big night at the aviva for us, 2-1 ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Bookies have Poland @ 2/1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

briany wrote: »
    It's probably quite a unique and distinguishing stat (not in the way you might want though) for a European side who's been to two major tournaments since that game.

Even more annoying when you consider NI have beaten Spain England and Russia in that timeframe.

iDave wrote: »
    Even more annoying when you consider NI have beaten Spain England and Russia in that timeframe.

Hmmmm. Ireland's middling mediocrity or NI's big wins, paired with baffling losses to minnows which nullify the big wins? Hard to choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

It's about as simple as this - If Ireland sit back, Poland will get on the ball and grow in confidence. Bulgaria were beatable, Slovakia were beatable, Austria were beatable and even maybe Sweden were beatable in past tournaments, but Ireland allowed themselves to be dominated by each one because Ireland either just weren't interested in, or just weren't capable of, playing a constructive game and retaining possession.

It doesn't matter how 'average' a team is, Ireland actually have to come out and play and show some ambition to take control in order to take advantage of that. If they don't, they're always going to be in for a rough night.

There are times when it's necessary to sit back and absorb pressure, like v. Germany, because Germany are always going to be a side who can hurt you and have the pace to hit you with a stinging counter, but knocking the ball long and hoping for a fortuitous knockdown is a tactic that even at the best of times and with the best practitioners requires at least as much luck as skill. It's not a tactic to hang your hat on across the board. OK, Poland may be beatable, so go out there and BEAT them. Don't hope victory comes by way of serendipity and favorable wind direction.

Quick question here. Do you think Bulgarian, Swedish, Slovakian, Austrian and Polish fans viewed Ireland as beatable before they played us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Any team news yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Looks likes two fairly evenly matched squads.

Robert Lewandowsky may have provided us with a little spur when he declared that it was Scotland and not us that were Polands real contenders.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/lewandowski-sees-scots-not-irish-as-main-rivals-for-runners-up-spot-291235.html

He may have changed his position though in the mean time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A nervy 2 1 win for us. Long first goalscorer.

We need to win today.

I half heard something on a sports bulletin mentioning a 3-5-2 ... is that still on the cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Please God just let us win, we need to win tonight!

tigger123 wrote: »
    We need to win today.

I half heard something on a sports bulletin mentioning a 3-5-2 ... is that still on the cards?

Seems like it will. Coleman and brady as wing backs with a back 3. Oshea wilson and keogh/mcshane afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Quick question here. Do you think Bulgarian, Swedish, Slovakian, Austrian and Polish fans viewed Ireland as beatable before they played us.

I'd say most teams view us as beatable

Seems like it will. Coleman and brady as wing backs with a back 3. Oshea wilson and keogh/mcshane afaik

It'll be an interesting evening so, hope it works! COYBIG!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

weird having a game on a sunday night,,,,just can't get up for it, seems wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Where would be the best pubs today where the fans would be?

Think it will be a big night at the aviva for us, 2-1 ireland.

The Bath on Bath Avenue is normally good craic on match days.

Hmmmm. Ireland's middling mediocrity or NI's big wins, paired with baffling losses to minnows which nullify the big wins? Hard to choose.

Considering we've been to the Euros I know what I'd choose.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have McShane in a B, C, or D international squad. Huge liability.

What's happened with Westwood?? I know he was injured for a long time, but surely he's twice the keeper Forde is? Given is too old and should have retired gracefully.

I wouldn't have McShane in a B, C, or D international squad. Huge liability.

What's happened with Westwood?? I know he was injured for a long time, but surely he's twice the keeper Forde is? Given is too old and should have retired gracefully.

What would that be based on?

Regarding McShane, I haven't actually seen him play myself since he was in the EPL so it'd be deceptive of me to comment on his form. I did like Keogh in the Scotland game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

What's happened with Westwood?? I know he was injured for a long time, but surely he's twice the keeper Forde is?

Is this going to crop up again? Forde has established himself as No.1 and rightly so in my opinion.

For all his supposedly superior talent, Westwood needs to start showing it.
    One of the main arguments was Westwood was a Premiership goalkeeper but now he's in the Championship, same as Forde.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭JoeCole26

Anyone know if they will be selling alcohol in the premium section this evening? Other times I've been up there where for friendlies and they were,thanks

Aenaes wrote: »
    Is this going to crop up again? Forde has established himself as No.1 and rightly so in my opinion.

For all his supposedly superior talent, Westwood needs to start showing it.
    One of the main arguments was Westwood was a Premiership goalkeeper but now he's in the Championship, same as Forde.

Forde is on his way to League 1 and has conceded 64 goals so far this season.

Since signing for Wednesday Westwood has been immense and has saved them time and time again. He is also 5 years younger than Forde, so would be a solid foundation to build on for the future.

Forde has done well in goals, but of there is a better player available he should play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Forde has done well in goals, but of there is a better player available he should play.

Agreed. There just doesn't seem to be any at the moment.

Westwood didn't really impress when playing for Ireland. Forde has been solid in every game.

It was basically a straight choice between Westwood and Forde, Trapattoni and O'Neill both chose Forde.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Anyone know if they will be selling alcohol in the premium section this evening? Other times I've been up there where for friendlies and they were,thanks

Yeah they will, my season ticket is for the Premium section and they always have the bars open.

Aenaes wrote: »
    Agreed. There just doesn't seem to be any at the moment.

Westwood didn't really impress when playing for Ireland. Forde has been solid in every game.

It was basically a straight choice between Westwood and Forde, Trapattoni and O'Neill both chose Forde.

Westwood has played at a higher lever. Has conceded 40 goals this season compared to Fordes 64, in the same league.

Westwood concedes 1.3 goals a game
    Forde concedes 1.6 goals a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's no secret O'Neill isn't a big fan of Westwood because of something that happened a few years ago.

When at Sunderland, Simon Mignolet suffered a quite serious facial injury and Westwood was playing in his place while he was recovering. However, a couple of months later before a game against Manchester City over the festive period Westwood told O'Neill that he wouldn't be available to to play as he had flu. This meant that Sunderland either had to throw a kid in to the deep end or rush Mignolet back with a mask protecting his face. Mignolet agreed to come back and play, Sunderland won the game 1-0, but O'Neill was reportedly very unhappy with Westwood over it. He wouldn't play again for O'Neill until he played in a Capital One Cup game early the next season.

I'm not saying the above is the reason why Westwood isn't the Ireland #1, but it could possibly be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any team announced yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Forde has done nothing wrong in an Ireland jersey apart from a loose kick or two and doesn't deserve to be dropped.

I'll be interested to see what formation we go with. Seemed to be suggestions of a 352 at the press conference. Does anybody think this is feasible? To be honest it's a must-win, can't be banking on beating these away and Germany at home. Will go for (and certainly take) a scrappy 1-0 but not too confident.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement