Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

kryogen wrote: »
    Arsenal don't have the best midfield in all fairness, with the injuries they are carrying we should certainly be looking to control that area. Are any of Arteta, Wilshire or Flamini expected back for the game?

I know Diaby is their Hargreaves, Cazorla as a CM hardly inspires fear in the opposition does it? Not a bad time to playing Arsenal tbh (is there ever)
    I'm fairly sure we will be playing 4 1 4 1 with Coqulein holding and possibly Cazorla and Ramsey as the central 2 of the four in midfield. I expect it will be fairly close in the possession stakes with both teams looking for counters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Arsenal don't have the best midfield in all fairness, with the injuries they are carrying we should certainly be looking to control that area. Are any of Arteta, Wilshire or Flamini expected back for the game?

I know Diaby is their Hargreaves, Cazorla as a CM hardly inspires fear in the opposition does it? Not a bad time to playing Arsenal tbh (is there ever)

Arteta & Wilshere are definitely out. Flamini i'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I'm glad it's taken the three of yis to clear that up. Go have a kitkat or something. Well deserved.

fake-laugh-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-632.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,528 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Get the match thread started Kew :pac:

341139.jpg

Scrap the cap!

• Get the match thread started Kew :pac:

341139.jpg

I'm going to troll Kew and suggest zerks instead :P

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Zerks has the better Opta stats for the season so far, but Kew has the momentum.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

His style is minimalist but effective,bit like LVG.:p I prefer a bit of flair to mine.

Biggest game of the weekend (even if the stupid BBC stuck it on Monday) so match thread is up, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057392752

The pavlov's dog response is kind of impressive in its own way.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

Their midfield isn't immense or anything, but Ramsey, Cazorla, wilshire, rosicky, sanchez etc are all very good at keeping possession. Even if we could out-do them possession wise, I'd say it would still be more effective to try and stay solid at the back and counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

What? Arsenal will easily win the game unless they give the game to United. At least that's what I read on boards. Doesn't matter if the game is at OT or Arsenal haven't beaten us in ages, they have far stronger team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

6 game ban for Evans. On SSN now. FA say he has been 'found proving' of spitting. Cisse gets 7 game ban

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

bennyx_o wrote: »
    6 game ban for Evans. On SSN now. FA say he has been 'found proving' of spitting. Cisse gets 7 game ban

Can't say I'm surprised. When was the last time anyone had a successful appeal against FA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

bennyx_o wrote: »

Good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Can't say I'm surprised. When was the last time anyone had a successful appeal against FA?

It's not even the appeal. The video evidence is pretty damning.
    Whether he meant to spit at Cisse or not, you can clearly see him spit at him.
    Clueless to even consider appealing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Any reason why Evans is getting the -1 game less? Is it because Cisse grabbed Evans before spitting at him? Seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Any reason why Evans is getting the -1 game less? Is it because Cisse grabbed Evans before spitting at him? Seems odd.

Cisse had previous, a sending off earlier in the season IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

So with Evans out will we see a partnership of Rojo and Smalling for the next few games?

Or will LVG bring back the man of a thousand faces Phil Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

nicklauski wrote: »
    It's not even the appeal. The video evidence is pretty damning.
    Whether he meant to spit at Cisse or not, you can clearly see him spit at him.
    Clueless to even consider appealing it.

If he genuinely feels that there was no intention to spit at Cisse, I don't see the problem with him sticking to his guns. 6 games is a very long ban and I'd be livid if I felt it was unintentional.

So with Evans out will we see a partnership of Rojo and Smalling for the next few games?

Or will LVG bring back the man of a thousand faces injuries Phil Jones

FYP.

• Advertisement

Good article here by Carragher: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2983107/It-s-time-Louis-van-Gaal-s-Manchester-United-never-going-finish-City-Chelsea-season.html

Less hysteria and focus on the job of finishing in the top 4.
    There was also a key difference. Moyes had taken over the champions; Van Gaal had come into a club that finished 15 points off fourth place. He was almost starting again. Next year, it will be different, as his remit will be to challenge for the title, given that United will reinforce their squad again.

If they are in this position in 12 months, then I will understand any criticism aimed at Van Gaal. But if he leads them into the Champions League, he will have achieved his aim for the season. If adds the FA Cup, his first year in Manchester will be a big success.

I keep hearing similar criticisms of Van Gaal, how his team do not play ‘the United way’ and regular accusations that they have been lucky. But he keeps getting results.

If Chelsea grind out a victory, Jose Mourinho gets praised, so when United do the same, why doesn’t Van Gaal?

I've said it before,get top 4 (the cup would be a nice bonus) then work on the pretty football next season.He had us playing nice stuff pre-season but that was without the pressure of getting top 4 at all costs.Yes,we are hard to watch but it's about results.Something tells me we won't see this dour stuff next season when he hasn't any distractions in the Summer and a full pre-season with the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Van Gaal's remit is top 4. I just don't think he will get it. Our run in is horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I can completely forgive the eyeball scraping recieved from watching us this season if we get top 4, let Van Gaal get more players in and improve the football

If we don't get top 4 we're back to square one, will we get the right players with Europa league football while Arsenal and Liverpool can strengthen properly

It is the minimum for me and Van Gaal has almost fcuked it up with stupid formations and selections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I can completely forgive the eyeball scraping recieved from watching us this season if we get top 4, let Van Gaal get more players in and improve the football

If we don't get top 4 we're back to square one, will we get the right players with Europa league football while Arsenal and Liverpool can strengthen properly

It is the minimum for me and Van Gaal has almost fcuked it up with stupid formations and selections
    I think United will get good players in with or without CL football.It will be harder to get them without CL but with the financial packages available I would expect United to get top players.
    LVG/Woodward might have to sell the club a little more and pay over the odd's somewhat but I cant see it being a major problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If he genuinely feels that there was no intention to spit at Cisse, I don't see the problem with him sticking to his guns. 6 games is a very long ban and I'd be livid if I felt it was unintentional.

If it was unintentional, it was very stupid of him to spit in the vicinity of a player he'd just had a confrontation with. Ban is deserved either way imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,737 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It looks intentional all-day long.

I agree with the severity. The FA and logic don't go together when it comes to bans.

I don't think he's a big loss to Utd anyway

• rarnes1 wrote: »
    It looks intentional all-day long.

I agree with the severity. The FA and logic don't go together when it comes to bans.

I don't think he's a big loss to Utd anyway
    I got another chance to look at this.

Question for you as you think it was intentional: Did he spit in cisses face or to the left of cisse?

If he intended to do it Cisse would be wiping the spit from his face.

However spitting near someones feet could be viewed as a mark of disrepect but again that's another point of debate.

I got another chance to look at this.

Question for you as you think it was intentional: Did he spit in cisses face or to the left of cisse?

If he intended to do it Cisse would be wiping the spit from his face.

However spitting near someones feet could be viewed as a mark of disrepect but again that's another point of debate.

The punishment is for spitting at an opponent I thought? Whether it hits it target doesn't matter.

Not sure why you think intent would only mean a head shot

The punishment is for spitting at an opponent I thought? Whether it hits it target doesn't matter.

Not sure why you think intent would only mean a head shot

You still haven't answered the question, did he spit at him or to the left of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm still undecided whether he spat him intentionally or not or was just doing that usual spit to the ground. He certainly didn't get him in the head but that's neither hear nor there, if he intentionally spat at him then he deserves a ban.

I can't believe how severe the ban for spitting is. As gross as it is, the punishment doesn't fit the crime, especially when you consider other band that are handed out.

• Advertisement

You still haven't answered the question, did he spit at him or to the left of him?

He spat in his direction while looking at him.

I'd be shocked if he didn't know what he was at.

Spitting at someone is a scummy act no doubt about it but its not worst than headbutting/elbowing an opponent .
    Seems very harsh to hand out 6 match ban's for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

adox wrote: »
    I can't believe how severe the ban for spitting is. As gross as it is, the punishment doesn't fit the crime, especially when you consider other band that are handed out.

Terry got four game ban for racism wasn't it? Spitting is worse than rasicm, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Looked harsh enough to me. Wouldn't be 100% Evans meant that. It probably shows his lack of importance to utd as if it was rooney getting a 6 match ban there would be a lot more outrage.

Terry got four game ban for racism wasn't it? Spitting is worse than rasicm, obviously.
    4 match ban for a English international ,8 game ban for a foreigner .

He spat in his direction while looking at him.

I'd be shocked if he didn't know what he was at.

There have been enough documented cases in football to know that if someone is going to spit at you then your not going to miss.

The fact that he so blatently denies spitting at cisse backs this up to an extent.

Cisse has openly admitted that he spat at Evans because he spits right into Evans kneck and there's no denying this from the video.

But for Evans he spits on the ground but doesn't hit cisse and its also clear from the video.

However again, there could be case made that he spat on the ground near him out of disrespect but that's debateable also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Both scumbag acts but spitting is worse, words won't give ya syphilis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think United will get good players in with or without CL football.It will be harder to get them without CL but with the financial packages available I would expect United to get top players.
    LVG/Woodward might have to sell the club a little more and pay over the odd's somewhat but I cant see it being a major problem.

We need two top quality players at least to go straight into the team at midfield and centre back, I think we have plenty of good players now

If Hummels is leaving Dortmund there will be a lot of clubs after him, we need CL football imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Spitting is a scum bag thing to do, there is no excuse. I was the subject of it on a pitch a few years ago, how I didn't deck him I don't know. They both got what they deserved a ban, the length is debatable though.

• Advertisement

• ArielAtom wrote: »
    Spitting is a scum bag thing to do, there is no excuse. I was the subject of it on a pitch a few years ago, how I didn't deck him I don't know. They both got what they deserved a ban, the length is debatable though.

Did the spit hit you?

There's no denial that spitting on someone is disgusting and scummy and I'm not debating that just so we are clear.

We need two top quality players at least to go straight into the team at midfield and centre back, I think we have plenty of good players now

If Hummels is leaving Dortmund there will be a lot of clubs after him, we need CL football imo
    Hummels might be wanted by plenty of clubs and have a huge price tag.

How good is Hummels or is there better options out there?

I think a CB,RB and CM are needed to go straight into the first XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

The fa would wanna get their house in order for next season with these punishments. Elbows head butt to spitting equals 5. Over the top tackles 7 games diving/cheating/simulation or whatever equals 6 games.racism homophobic remarks bit in 10 games. Or somethin to that effect and not to mention a hefty fine too.
    Set their stall out pre season so everyone knows what they're in for. As the lads on soccer Saturday were sayin a panel of ex players managers refs coaches or whowever decide these things. Majority decision rules but have an uneven amount on the panel so they're can't be a 50/50 split.

That would sort things out fairly swiftly.

Yes, in the face, he was a scumbag to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Hummels might be wanted by plenty of clubs and have a huge price tag.

How good is Hummels or is there better options out there?

I think a CB,RB and CM are needed to go straight into the first XI.

I think he's over rated, he's a good continental type centre back whose good on the ball and bringing the ball into midfield, id much prefer a no nonsense type defender like Godin and sign either Varane or the PSG lad as his partner

• ArielAtom wrote: »
    Yes, in the face, he was a scumbag to.

Now that is scummy for sure.

But this is the point I'm getting at.
    There's a case to be made for Evans because he spat on the floor and didn't hit cisse, this is why he has denied the charge IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Them t-shirts might be needed after all!

OK, I see your point but spitting in the general direction is a tad silly. Always going to receive a ban, intent in it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ArielAtom wrote: »
    OK, I see your point but spitting in the general direction is a tad silly. Always going to receive a ban, intent in it or not.

Who the hell spits in the direction of people, I always spit in the other direction, even take into account the wing.

Looked like Evans ment it. Cisse spat straight back in his face in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Whether he hit him with his spit or not doesn't change the fact that he did it. It is a horrible act and Evans will have to put up with the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Spitting at someone is a scummy act no doubt about it but its not worst than headbutting/elbowing an opponent .
    Seems very harsh to hand out 6 match ban's for it.

FA has new policies on banning for spitting and it means that Evans must get a ban for 6 games.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement