Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Da Silva has rejected the move lads, the money he's on here at Sunderland must be too good to walk away from. He seems a genuine lad and he has a family to support long after his footballing career (which is nearly finished) so I can't say I blame him:

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/safc-news/da_silva_rejects_cruz_move_1_2893883

Personally, I think Onouha will definitely sign for us permanently. As good as he has been for us, his in no-way good enough to play for a side challenging for the Premier League title and I think he knows this. Manchester City will let him go for a maximum of £5m IMO and I hope that deal gets done in January but I suspect it will be summer.

I was talking to a lad on RTG who has been speaking to Al-Muhammadi's agent. He says that Bruce will be signing him for £1.5m in the summer providing he doesn't get seriously injured. Apparently Elmo gets really nervous when playing for us (because of the crowds) and that's making his game suffer. I've actually been quite impressed with him so hopefully he gets over his nervousness and improves even further. The lad's only 22 so I can't see a better and more versatile player we could get for that price anyway so it'd be cracking business.

Downing or N'Zogbia? Both cracking players who are direct and would improve our starting 11. If I was pushed I'd say N'Zogbia but I'd be delighted with either.

'clt-alt-del', any information on Blackburn for tomorrow, starting line-up etc? I think it'll be a scrappy game which we'll win 1-0. Hopefully we get going from the off as the crowd will get restless after last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Paully D wrote: »
    'clt-alt-del', any information on Blackburn for tomorrow, starting line-up etc? I think it'll be a scrappy game which we'll win 1-0. Hopefully we get going from the off as the crowd will get restless after last week.

I'm heading to the game tomorrow, I'm not expecting an exciting game at all! This will be my 4th time seeing them play each other at SoL and I have not enjoyed any of them so far :(

The big thing with the Blackburn team is that Kalinic misses the match through suspension which really will hit the team hard! Salgado also misses out through an accumulation of yellows. Robinson is a doubt too - nothing on the bbc about it, but he had to go off in the game against West Brom. Word is that Samba might be fit again, which will be great as will be a return for Givet.

I'm expecting Sunderland to line up 4-5-1 and I expect the same from Blackburn too.

The big question for Blackburn will be who plays the lone role up front - I am hoping myself it will be Mame Diouf with the other Diouf and Hoilett playing the wide positions.
    I am really hoping that Benjani won't get the nod up front on his own, although with it being Sunderland it might give him an extra kick up the arse to impress.

Set pieces will be key in this game, I am really hoping Sunderland can retain their finishing form from the Blackpool game ;), I would be happy to come away with a point - but it will be tough, Sunderland will be really gunning for this!

Excellent stuff today. Great to get back on track like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Cracking result today and an excellent finish from Gyan. Bent could of had a hat-trick in the second half but a least hes finished his goal drought and hopefully can carry it on against Villa.

Lads, have you seen the bad news:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=554377

The lad who created that thread is an absolutely excellent source, probably the best on the board. He's respected on there and his threads and posts regarding information are taken as gospel. If you search his posts you'll see his record of getting things right speaks for itself.

I really, really hope Gordon signs that extension. He's a cracking goalkeeper who most fans underrate IMO and I think we'll all feel his absecence if he does leave.

I fear that Manchester United or Arsenal are interested though, especially as they both need goalkeepers and with only 18 months left on his contract could purchase Gordon for around £5m.

Please, please sign an extension Craig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

David Meyler carried off on strethcher with his knee , isn't he just back from a serious knee injury ? . Hope it ain't serious looks a decent player

David Meyler carried off on strethcher with his knee , isn't he just back from a serious knee injury ? . Hope it ain't serious looks a decent player

Think its his fourth game back, didn't look good at all, hope its not as bad as we think, decent player aswell. Welbeck off too, bit of a dampner, but great result, Chelsea losing gets us two points behind them with one game extra played.

Cracking finish from Bardsely struck it perfectly, their calling him the White Cafu on the SMB :D

SB has to recall Andy Reid and delve into the market, Zenden banned now for 3 matchs, Cattermole out a month, Campbell etc..

Anyways,

Ha'way the lads

Think its his fourth game back, didn't look good at all, hope its not as bad as we think, decent player aswell. Welbeck off too, bit of a dampner, but great result, Chelsea losing gets us two points behind them with one game extra played.

Cracking finish from Bardsely struck it perfectly, their calling him the White Cafu on the SMB :D

SB has to recall Andy Reid and delve into the market, Zenden banned now for 3 matchs, Cattermole out a month, Campbell etc..

Anyways,

Ha'way the lads

It looked very bad for Meyler, it looks like ligament damage again so if the worst comes to the worst it might actually be the end of his career. He does have time on his side so lets not panic yet. Hopefully it's just a twisted knee or something but the signs don't look good.

Zenden's only out for one game mate and that's the Notts County cup game on Saturday.

It's time for Riveros to step up to the plate now and hopefully Cattermole can take pain killing injections to play in the derby. We all know Bruce plays the media very well so hopefully he won't be out for the month stated.

We definitely need a midfielder now in January though, both central and wide. Hopefully Short realises how we'll we've progressed and opens his cheque book again.

Cracking win tonight though, Ha'way!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/sunderland-eye-loan-duo-sulley-muntari-and-stephane-sessegno-2178758.html

also on skysports transfer clockwatch

Muntari would be a quality addition, don't know anything bout Sessegnon

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/sunderland-eye-loan-duo-sulley-muntari-and-stephane-sessegno-2178758.html

also on skysports transfer clockwatch

Muntari would be a quality addition, don't know anything bout Sessegnon

Muntari would be a superb addition, he's exactly what we need right now and has been there and done it in the Premier League, so much so that Mourinho paid £12m for him. Hopefully Mensah and Gyan can convince him to join.

Sessegnon I'm not so sure of as I haven't really seen him play but according to his Wiki page he has been tracked by some top clubs.

At this moment in time and with Bruce's record in the transfer market I think it's safe to say that these two would be excellent acquisitions.

• Advertisement

Sessegnon is on route to Sunderland as we speak.

Same source as always: Dennis Longhorn on RTG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Lads came across this on bargain alerts . Might be of use for some on you's
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056145910

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

BREAKING NEWS: Sunderland to sign Egyptian international, Yulsuffa Onsunda.
    ;)

That_Guy wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS: Sunderland to sign Egyptian international, Yulsuffa Onsunda.
    ;)

funny man :pac::pac:.

I reckon its gonna be a close game, with Sunderland edging it. Is Carroll still out after falling off a bar stool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

. Is Carroll still out after falling off a bar stool?

He was injured during our game with Spurs, unless you believe tabloid trash.

With regards to your question, Pardew said earlier in the week that we should know about Carroll's situation on Thursday so hopefully we will hear something today, fingers crossed he can make it!

He was injured during our game with Spurs, unless you believe tabloid trash.

With regards to your question, Pardew said earlier in the week that we should know about Carroll's situation on Thursday so hopefully we will hear something today, fingers crossed he can make it!
    He's definitely out. There's not a hope Pardew would have allowed him to only return from Dubai today if he was playing.

The team for today:
    Gordon

Onouha Ferdinand Bramble Bardsley

Al-Muhammadi Henderson Richardson Malbranque

Bent Gyan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

Okay lads, how do we all feel about Darren?

Nuigforce wrote: »
    Okay lads, how do we all feel about Darren?

Here's what I posted on the thread, hopefully this clears things up for a few, and answers some questions that we're probably all asking, for fellow Sunderland fans:

Hi lads,

Here's what happened, from the same source that gives me the team news the day before the games (if you're on the Sunderland Megathread you'll know it's geniune):

Villa make on offer last week for Bent which we reject and obviously inform Bent of.

Bent's agent starts getting in his ear saying this is now a perfect opportunity to ask for an improved contract as we won't want to risk losing him and he'll be sitting pretty on an extra £20,000 a week.

Talks are arranged and Bent says that he wants a wage rise due to interest from other clubs. Quinn/Walton/Short inform Bent that he won't be getting a wage rise as he's at the top of the pay scale already and we won't be breaking that for him.

Bent's transfer request goes in.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ There you have it.

It's sad that things have ended this way but at the end of the day I'm glad Short and Quinny aren't allowing us to be bullied by player power and agents. Mid-table clubs offering players what they like turns them into situations like we've seen at Portsmouth.

The sort of money Villa are offering is serious and bordering on the amount that we'd be mad not to accept anyway (possibly £24m according to reports) and with Bruce's record in the transfer market I can see him coming up with a couple of strokes of genius with that sort of cash.

Thanks for your contribution Darren, you've given us some great memories in such a short space of time, but we'll still be here long after your career has finished and no one player is bigger than the club.

I feel slightly betrayed and angry and would like to say so much more but I'll leave it until I've had time to reflect some more and we've heard proper statements from both Darren and SAFC.

All the best in the future Darren. We as a club move on.

Ha'way The Lads :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

18-24 million, id have taken their hand off for Bent TBH, decent finisher for sure never worth that though

• Advertisement

In more positive news there's a medical booked for Wednesday.

I'd imagine it'll be Sessegnon but that's just my opinion and the player hasn't been revealed. There's definitely a medical taking place though.

Great post Paully,

I’m still quite shocked by the whole situation, not devastated but certainly disappointed. But if bent doesn’t want to play for the club, so long and thanks for the memories & goals.

The timing is very strange, I know their was a request made in August (while continually expressing his love for the club, fans and area) but the timing now (heard it was 2hours after derby game,could be wrong) for what, no offence to Aston Villa but they are in a relegation battle and we’re pushing for Europe. Suppose that big signing on fee and extra few grand are too tempting to turn down
    Bent's agent starts getting in his ear saying this is now a perfect opportunity to ask for an improved contract as we won't want to risk losing him and he'll be sitting pretty on an extra £20,000 a week.

It's sad that things have ended this way but at the end of the day I'm glad Short and Quinny aren't allowing us to be bullied by player power and agents. Mid-table clubs offering players what they like turns them into situations like we've seen at Portsmouth.

Excellent stuff by Quinn & Ellis, the club is in safe hands and will not buckle to player demands, and righly so,
    The sort of money Villa are offering is serious and bordering on the amount that we'd be mad not to accept anyway (possibly £24m according to reports) and with Bruce's record in the transfer market I can see him coming up with a couple of strokes of genius with that sort of cash.

Ha'way The Lads :cool:

If we do get the 24million I’m 100% positive SB will bring in quality, probably have to wait till the summer with a make shift loan/s until the end of the season. Hopefully we can push through a permanent deal for Danny Welbeck and then who ever is on SB & Quinnys radar,

I'm probably missing loads to mention but I'll finish for now.

No player is bigger than the club and we move on,

Ha'waaaaaay The Lads

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Initial reaction was shock tbh, but after having thinking time..... happy to take the money.

Bent started off well and not denying he's been a good source of goals for us, but lately he's seemed a bit "off" so I'm not gutted to see him go, and hope Quinny and Bruce will invest the money wisely and get a cracking striker to partner Gyan up-front.... we'll see.

I don't think Gyan is ready to become the main striker for you lot. He's been good coming off the bench but has been a passenger at times when he starts. Bags of potential there but I reckon he needs an experienced player alongside him to help him along.

Robbie Keane perhaps? Would ye take him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I don't think Gyan is ready to become the main striker for you lot. He's been good coming off the bench but has been a passenger at times when he starts. Bags of potential there but I reckon he needs an experienced player alongside him to help him along.

On this..... Please take him:P

agreed

thinking back to the "Quinn & Phillips" partnership days... need strikers that work well TOGETHER rather than relying on one good and one more mediocre.
    Gyan is developing but is still a bit "hit & miss" for my liking.

Couldn't we get Cissé back ?? :pac:

Even I wouldn't wish Cisse on you. :pac:

He plays better as a lone frontman and always has done throughout his club career and the same has been confirmed by Ghanaians when he plays at international level so I disagree with your comments saying he's not ready to become a main striker. However, he'll be playing up-front with Welbeck (for the next 6 months at least, hopefully longer but I highly doubt it) as we play 4-4-2 when we have two fit and available strikers and his partnership with Welbeck seems to have shown more promise in brief spells than it did with Bent.

Remember we played our best football in years and beat Chelsea 3-0 without Bent.

As for Robbie Keane. He'll want 25% more than our wage structure will allow so it won't be happening. If we wouldn't break it for Bent we certainly wouldn't break it for Keane.

I'd expect to see short term cover such as Jay Bothroyd come in until we can get a top replacement for Bent in, in the summer transfer window.

Even I wouldn't wish Cisse on you. :pac:

A very good player who I still to this day think was treated very badly by the SAFC hierarchy during his time here.

• Advertisement

Welbeck is out now for between 6-8 weeks after having exploratory knee surgery!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/9349216.stm

That leaves Gyan as the only fit striker now, and with Bent gone this could really hamper the push for a European spot.

Welbeck is out now for between 6-8 weeks after having exploratory knee surgery!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/9349216.stm

That leaves Gyan as the only fit striker now, and with Bent gone this could really hamper the push for a European spot.

It's looking like Ricardo Fuller is coming in as cover, I'm aware that Sunderland and Stoke are in discussions to make it happen. He'd be decent back-up for when Welbeck comes back and will do a job in the first team until then.

For tomorrow:
    Gordon

Onouha Bramble Ferdinand Bardsley

Al-Muhammadi Henderson Richardson Zenden Malbranque

Gyan

Disgusting behaviour from Blackpool today, but in spite of their antics and Lee Mason we still got an excellent 3 points.

Cracking win today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

What happened?

Great stuff by Sunderland, Bruce is a great manager.

Johner wrote: »
    What happened?

Great stuff by Sunderland, Bruce is a great manager.

Diving all over the place mate. Non-stop for the 90 minutes, and they won a penalty from a dive straight in front of Lee Mason.

We played some very nice stuff today and 4-5-1 with Gyan (who was excellent) worked superbly.

Darren who? ;)

• Advertisement

Yiz bastards. I had a score for you lot at 4/1 on a -1 handicap.

Yiz bastards. I had a score for you lot at 4/1 on a -1 handicap.

Blame Vaughan and Lee Mason mate, the Blackpool penalty was disgusting.

Who needs Darren Bent when we've got Richardson ?? :pac:

Bloody Blackpool should get a 6.0 for their diving techniques but 3 points is 3 points

Loved the singing.... "One Greedy Ba***rd" and "Who the f**k is Darren Bent"

Some lad posting on RTG at the moment reckons Quinny's gonna leave following the sale of Bent (according to the Sunday red-tops tomorrow)
    Apparently was on Premier Soccer Saturday but I missed the end - anyone any clues/thoughts on this ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

Who needs Darren Bent when we've got Richardson ?? :pac:

Bloody Blackpool should get a 6.0 for their diving techniques but 3 points is 3 points

Loved the singing.... "One Greedy Ba***rd" and "Who the f**k is Darren Bent"

Some lad posting on RTG at the moment reckons Quinny's gonna leave following the sale of Bent (according to the Sunday red-tops tomorrow)
    Apparently was on Premier Soccer Saturday but I missed the end - anyone any clues/thoughts on this ??

Nice one Kieran! actually 2!!

Blame Vaughan and Lee Mason mate, the Blackpool penalty was disgusting.

Saw that. First class tactics. "Dive and we might get something"

• Advertisement

Saw that. First class tactics. "Dive and we might get something"

He must have them practice diving off Blackpool pier!

He must have them practice diving off Blackpool pier!

What colour is your coat? Let me get it for you. :pac:

The club are hopeful of announcing Muntari and Sessegnon tomorrow, but PSG are dicking around with paperwork at their end.

Both have completed medicals and sorted personal terms, it's just a matter of getting the paperwork sorted now.

Two cracking signings IMO.

Sessegnon's registration to us is being completed at the minute.

Great news :cool:

Sessegnon's registration to us is being completed at the minute.

Great news :cool:

Is it a loan deal with option to buy, or are they buying him straight out?

Hope it is concluded soon, this window has dragged out for Sunderland!

Is it a loan deal with option to buy, or are they buying him straight out?

Hope it is concluded soon, this window has dragged out for Sunderland!

Permanent deal, €6.5m.

Muntari completes loan deal, great addition, doesn't say anything with option to buy tho.

http://www.safc.com/news/20110129/sunderland-complete-muntari-deal_2256213_2279598

Hopefully we can get Sess which is looking likely and maybe a makeshift forward until the summer.

Quality work by Bruce, Quinn & Co,

Muntari completes loan deal, great addition, doesn't say anything with option to buy tho.

http://www.safc.com/news/20110129/sunderland-complete-muntari-deal_2256213_2279598

Hopefully we can get Sess which is looking likely and maybe a makeshift forward until the summer.

Quality work by Bruce, Quinn & Co,

Excellent signing.

We do have an option to make it permanent though so don't worry mate ;)

€7m to purchase outright at the end of the season, or we have to sign him permanently if he plays in 50% of our remaining games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement