Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,503 ✭✭✭✭noodler

God Dunphy is talking some crap about McCarthy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

noodler wrote: »
    God Dunphy is talking some crap about McCarthy.

You could probably end that sentence at "crap" and it would be relevant every time he opens his mouth! :D :pac:

Dunphy “Wes started getting on the ball - he played a couple of divine passes, really beautiful stuff. He makes things happen.”

Good to see he can go overboard in both directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Good to see he can go overboard in both directions.

Leave Xavi alone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Dunphy just moves through our CMs,last year it was Glenn Whelan he had an issue with and now its James McCarthy's turn,

Stephen Quinn better do the biz if he gets a chance because he will be next in the firing line :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

How come we have no game tonight? Would have thought it was an opportunity to try some players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

An update of a previous post....

A look at all the RoI results and the FIFA ranking of the opponent at the time we played them - all since Giovanni Trapattoni's first game in charge in May 2008

Competitive Games

Georgia (A) 2-1 (86)
    Montenegro (A) 0-0 (143)
    Cyprus (H) 1-0 (65)
    Georgia (H) 2-1 (108)
    Bulgaria (H) 1-1 (27)
    Italy (A) 1-1 (5)
    Bulgaria (A) 1-1 (23)
    Cyprus (A) 2-1 (76)
    Italy (H) 2-2 (4)
    Montenegro (H) 0-0 (89)
    France (H) 0-1 (9)
    France (A) 1-1 AET (9)
    Armenia (A) 1-0 (96)
    Andorra (H) 3-1 (201)
    Russia (H) 2-3 (25)
    Slovakia (A) 1-1 (16)
    Macedonia (H) 2-1 (83)
    Macedonia (A) 2-0 (85)
    Slovakia (H) 0-0 (26)
    Russia (A) 0-0 (13)
    Andorra (A) 2-0 (203)
    Armenia (H) 2-1 (44)
    Estonia (A) 4-0 (59)
    Estonia (H) 1-1 (59)
    Croatia (N) 1-3 (8)
    Spain (N) 0-4 (1)
    Italy (N) 0-2 (12)
    Kazakhstan (A) 2-1 (142)
    Germany (H) 1-6 (2)
    Faroe Islands (A) 4-1 (158)
    Sweden (A) 0-0 (21)
    Austria (H) 2-2 (79)
    Georgia (H) 4-0 (96)
    Faroe Islands (H) 3-0 (162)
    Sweden (H) 1-2 (30)
    Austria (A) 0-1 (55)
    Germany (A) 0-3 (3)
    Kazakhstan (H) 3-1 (132)

MO'N

Georgia (A) 2-1 (95)
    Gibralter (H) 7-0 (N/A)
    Germany (A) 1-1 (1)
    Scotland (A) 0-1 (37)
    Poland (H) 1-1 (34)

Friendlies & Carling Nations Cup Games

Serbia (H) 1-1 (31)
    Colombia (N) 1-0 (19)
    Norway (A) 1-1 (31)
    Poland (H) 2-3 (30)
    Nigeria (N) 1-1 (30)
    Australia (H) 0-3 (16)
    South Africa (H) 1-0 (73)
    Brazil (N) 0-2 (2)
    Paraguay (H) 2-1 (30)
    Algeria (H) 3-0 (30)
    Argentina (H) 0-1 (5)
    Norway (H) 1-2 (12)
    Wales (H) 3-0 (116)
    Uruguay (H) 2-3 (7)
    N. Ireland (H) 5-0 (65)
    Scotland (H) 1-0 (66)
    Italy (N) 2-0 (9)
    Croatia (H) 0-0 (9)
    Czech Rep (H) 1-1 (29)
    Bosnia-Herzegovina (H) 1-0 (27)
    Serbia (A) 0-0 (35)
    Oman (N) 4-1 (93)
    Greece (H) 0-1 (10)
    Poland (H) 2-0 (56)
    England (A) 1-1 (7)
    Wales (A) 0-0 (46)
    Spain (N) 0-2 (1)

MO'N

Latvia (H) 3-0 (117)
    Poland (A) 0-0 (69)
    Serbia (H) 1-2 (29)
    Turkey (H) 1-2 (39)
    Italy (N) 0-0 (9)
    Costa Rica (N) 1-1 (28)
    Portugal (N) 1-5 (4)
    Oman (H) 2-0 (67)
    USA (H) 4-1 (23)

Some observations on competitive games;

The highest ranking team we have beaten in a competitive game under Trap or O'Neill is Armenia ranked # 44 (Acknowledging in fairness we did win in 90 minutes in Paris to a team then ranked #9)

We have only kept 3 clean sheets against teams ranked in the top 50 from 21 competitive games against them

In those 21 games, we have scored 16 times, conceded 35

From all 43 competitive games, we have won 18, drawn 15 and lost 10

In ascending order (for arguments sake, including the 90 minute whistle in Paris), the rankings of the 18 teams we beat at the times we beat them were 9, 44, 59, 65, 76, 83, 85, 86, 95, 96, 96, 132, 142, 158, 162, 201, 203, N/A

In ascending order, the rankings of the 10 teams who beat us at the time they beat us were 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 12, 25, 30, 37, 55

We've had competitive draws against teams ranked 1, 4, 5, 9 (AET), 13, 16, 21, 23, 26, 27, 34, 59, 79, 89, 143 (with the last 2 being Montenegro whose real ranking would have been somewhere around the 40's or maybe a bit higher)

Our next opponents, Scotland, are currently raked 39 - higher than all teams we've beaten other than the 90 minute result in Paris in 2009

Make of it what you will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The stat about clean sheets can be thrown out imo. They are fairly uncommon at top level international matches (off the top of my head).

Those stats are sad for RoI even though I do think the home match against Scotland will be a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No real skin in the game re:Trapattoni but the but the anti- side of the argument are giving the pro- side a hell of a beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

My problem with Trap wasn't the results in a general sense it was his refusal to blood the next generation or other available options during his tenure. He never used friendlies properly either. Something we are paying for now.

He failed us in that regard. Managing a national side isn't just about the current tournament it should always be about future as well.

If the wheels come off in this qualifying group I expect to see a whole new generation ushered in. Mick was the last to do this and we are crying out for it again.

People will say we don't have the talent etc but its something you just have to do and put up with then. Let them develop with international experience. Its not like there's anything else we can do given our current scenario.

There are options out there player wise who should be given a proper chance. Others will no doubt emerge over the next 12-18 months as well.

Westwood
    Christie
    Clark
    Meyler
    Hendrix
    McGoldrick
    Arter

• Advertisement

Trond wrote: »
    My problem with Trap wasn't the results in a general sense it was his refusal to blood the next generation or other available options during his tenure. He never used friendlies properly either. Something we are paying for now.

He failed us in that regard. Managing a national side isn't just about the current tournament it should always be about future as well.

If the wheels come off in this qualifying group I expect to see a whole new generation ushered in. Mick was the last to do this and we are crying out for it again.

People will say we don't have the talent etc but its something you just have to do and put up with then. Let them develop with international experience. Its not like there's anything else we can do given our current scenario.

There are options out there player wise who should be given a proper chance. Others will no doubt emerge over the next 12-18 months as well.

Westwood
    Christie
    Clark
    Meyler
    Hendrix
    McGoldrick
    Arter

Jack Grealish,
    Samir Carruthers,
    Ryan Robinson,
    Brian Lenihan,
    Steven Kinsella,
    Ian Lawlor,
    Jack Byrne,
    Brandon Miele,
    Noe Baba,
    Sean Muray,
    Ken McEvoy,
    John Egan,
    Pierce Sweeney

We have no idea how good or bad most of these will ever be and not all of these will come through, most probably won't, but some hopefully will. Whatever happened to the likes of Greg Cunningham, Conor Henderson and Conor Clifford who were supposed to be the next players who would make a big impact but who are all hitting mid 20's now and who we'll probably never see again. And then there are names that will emerge in the next few years that aren't on anybody's radar yet as you say. But most unfortunately will come to nothing

Trond wrote: »
    My problem with Trap wasn't the results in a general sense it was his refusal to blood the next generation or other available options during his tenure

Sure how would he have even seen them unless they were guests on whatever the Italian equivalent of Ireland AM or Live at 3 is, or whatever daytime tv he watched in his villa.

He did go to a Derby game once following some hammering or other when obviously Delaney decided to remind him that he could at least pretend to be interested and get Delaneys arse out of the media firing line. The next squad saw 3 or 4 Derby players hauled up. You really could only laugh at some of the stuff, though most of it was depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'm sure if Trappatoni's salary or bonuses depended on him developing young players his teams would have been full of them. Taking the team to a major championship for the first time in 10 years probably had a more productive effect in youth development at source that we'll only see in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

Laois_Man wrote: »
    An update of a previous post....

A look at all the RoI results and the FIFA ranking of the opponent at the time we played them - all since Giovanni Trapattoni's first game in charge in May 2008

Competitive Games

Georgia (A) 2-1 (86)
    Montenegro (A) 0-0 (143)
    Cyprus (H) 1-0 (65)
    Georgia (H) 2-1 (108)
    Bulgaria (H) 1-1 (27)
    Italy (A) 1-1 (5)
    Bulgaria (A) 1-1 (23)
    Cyprus (A) 2-1 (76)
    Italy (H) 2-2 (4)
    Montenegro (H) 0-0 (89)
    France (H) 0-1 (9)
    France (A) 1-1 AET (9)
    Armenia (A) 1-0 (96)
    Andorra (H) 3-1 (201)
    Russia (H) 2-3 (25)
    Slovakia (A) 1-1 (16)
    Macedonia (H) 2-1 (83)
    Macedonia (A) 2-0 (85)
    Slovakia (H) 0-0 (26)
    Russia (A) 0-0 (13)
    Andorra (A) 2-0 (203)
    Armenia (H) 2-1 (44)
    Estonia (A) 4-0 (59)
    Estonia (H) 1-1 (59)
    Croatia (N) 1-3 (8)
    Spain (N) 0-4 (1)
    Italy (N) 0-2 (12)
    Kazakhstan (A) 2-1 (142)
    Germany (H) 1-6 (2)
    Faroe Islands (A) 4-1 (158)
    Sweden (A) 0-0 (21)
    Austria (H) 2-2 (79)
    Georgia (H) 4-0 (96)
    Faroe Islands (H) 3-0 (162)
    Sweden (H) 1-2 (30)
    Austria (A) 0-1 (55)
    Germany (A) 0-3 (3)
    Kazakhstan (H) 3-1 (132)

MO'N

Georgia (A) 2-1 (95)
    Gibralter (H) 7-0 (N/A)
    Germany (A) 1-1 (1)
    Scotland (A) 0-1 (37)
    Poland (H) 1-1 (34)

Friendlies & Carling Nations Cup Games

Serbia (H) 1-1 (31)
    Colombia (N) 1-0 (19)
    Norway (A) 1-1 (31)
    Poland (H) 2-3 (30)
    Nigeria (N) 1-1 (30)
    Australia (H) 0-3 (16)
    South Africa (H) 1-0 (73)
    Brazil (N) 0-2 (2)
    Paraguay (H) 2-1 (30)
    Algeria (H) 3-0 (30)
    Argentina (H) 0-1 (5)
    Norway (H) 1-2 (12)
    Wales (H) 3-0 (116)
    Uruguay (H) 2-3 (7)
    N. Ireland (H) 5-0 (65)
    Scotland (H) 1-0 (66)
    Italy (N) 2-0 (9)
    Croatia (H) 0-0 (9)
    Czech Rep (H) 1-1 (29)
    Bosnia-Herzegovina (H) 1-0 (27)
    Serbia (A) 0-0 (35)
    Oman (N) 4-1 (93)
    Greece (H) 0-1 (10)
    Poland (H) 2-0 (56)
    England (A) 1-1 (7)
    Wales (A) 0-0 (46)
    Spain (N) 0-2 (1)

MO'N

Latvia (H) 3-0 (117)
    Poland (A) 0-0 (69)
    Serbia (H) 1-2 (29)
    Turkey (H) 1-2 (39)
    Italy (N) 0-0 (9)
    Costa Rica (N) 1-1 (28)
    Portugal (N) 1-5 (4)
    Oman (H) 2-0 (67)
    USA (H) 4-1 (23)

Some observations on competitive games;

The highest ranking team we have beaten in a competitive game under Trap or O'Neill is Armenia ranked # 44 (Acknowledging in fairness we did win in 90 minutes in Paris to a team then ranked #9)

We have only kept 3 clean sheets against teams ranked in the top 50 from 21 competitive games against them

In those 21 games, we have scored 16 times, conceded 35

From all 43 competitive games, we have won 18, drawn 15 and lost 10

In ascending order (for arguments sake, including the 90 minute whistle in Paris), the rankings of the 18 teams we beat at the times we beat them were 9, 44, 59, 65, 76, 83, 85, 86, 95, 96, 96, 132, 142, 158, 162, 201, 203, N/A

In ascending order, the rankings of the 10 teams who beat us at the time they beat us were 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 12, 25, 30, 37, 55

We've had competitive draws against teams ranked 1, 4, 5, 9 (AET), 13, 16, 21, 23, 26, 27, 34, 59, 79, 89, 143 (with the last 2 being Montenegro whose real ranking would have been somewhere around the 40's or maybe a bit higher)

Our next opponents, Scotland, are currently raked 39 - higher than all teams we've beaten other than the 90 minute result in Paris in 2009

Make of it what you will

Interesting if depressing reading there. Fits with what I was thinking. It has been a long long time since we beat any decent side in a competitive game. The Scotland game is without doubt a must win game if we are to have any chance of qualification so Martin O'Neill's side is going to have to produce something special that we have not seen in a long time from an Ireland side in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We don't have to produce something special to beat Scotland.

If we could just concentrate on ourselfs, play to our ability, not ****ting ourselfs and not hype up the opposition we do OK.

Scotland are no great shakes, neither are we, but Scotland won't hype us up like we will with Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

08shout.jpg

Anyone know where you can get the RoI jersey without a sponsor on it like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

callaway92 wrote: »
    08shout.jpg

Anyone know where you can get the RoI jersey without a sponsor on it like this?
    I would say it came direct from umbro that's where I got some of mine ,often see them on eBay as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

If only some of the players could channel their inner McGregor and be utterly fearless in these games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

WallyGUFC wrote:
    If only some of the players could channel their inner McGregor and be utterly fearless in these games.

James McCarthy, his performance against Poland was fear in action. Never seen a player hide so much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Hmmm so I'm not sure if I'm late to this or not but can't find any discussion on it..

Sunday world is claiming that Poland played an extra man in the first half. A player was down injured on the pitch and they replaced him, sub came on but the injured player got up and played on. So they had 12 men on the pitch for a period of time before the injured player went off..

Supposedly FIFA may force a replay. Anyone else been following this?

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/ireland-s-euro-2016-qualifier-against-poland-may-have-to-be-replayed

• Advertisement

01/04/2015 .

yabadabado wrote: »
    01/04/2015 .

Man its the end of the day here, hence why I never copped on. That was to be fair, genius. Funniky enough I never believed a word from Sunday World until I read this.

01/04/2015 .

Amazed you even had to point that out!

Amazed you even had to point that out!

I'm entirely proud of myself.

irishmover wrote: »
    I'm entirely proud of myself.

You won't be the last on boards today.

You won't be the last on boards today.

My only excuse is that I'm in Brisbane and I didn't even know it was April 1st until about 10am when I had to check the date. Nobody mentioned anything about April fools today so I'm guessing they dont prank each other like back home.

Slavomir Ekstramann is a brilliant player n all!

Even if we had that "Ekstramann", we still wouldn't qualify!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Depresses me that Wales and the North will be at Euro 2016 but not us

Nobody can convince me Northern Ireland have a better team

Godot. wrote: »

I suppose the biggest April Fools is that people have given up hope we'll make it to atleast the playoffs.

We've got a decent shout at third so I dont see why anyone would be defeated, yet. I.e being the best placed third team and making it straight through, currently Scotland otherwise making the playoff.

All to play for really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Wait. You know that we won't qualify? Is this more April Foolery?

We are far from out of contention yet,it will be tough to qualify but we have 5 games feft to get a spot.
    The game against Scotland is huge if must win that or we will need other teams to do us favours.

We are far from out of contention yet,it will be tough to qualify but we have 5 games feft to get a spot.
    The game against Scotland is huge if must win that or we will need other teams to do us favours.

I've got a serious feeling that Georgia will beat Scotland.

irishmover wrote: »
    I've got a serious feeling that Georgia will beat Scotland.

Hopefully ,that would be a brilliant result for us.We need to beat Scotland that's the most important thing.

Talk of Georgia-Scotland game potentially being behind closed doors after trouble in the Germany game.

Maybe they are not like us and don't spend all their times wringing their hands and saying that the players are just not there any more and a team rammed with Premier League players just could not compete with the likes of Poland or Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I nearly had to slap my mates face on the way out of Lansdowne. A barn storming 2nd half, deserved equaliser at the death and there he is all depressed with a face like a bag of spanners, groaning about it being a must win game.
    And he wasn't the only one.
    We're not out of this by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Nunu wrote: »
    I nearly had to slap my mates face on the way out of Lansdowne. A barn storming 2nd half, deserved equaliser at the death and there he is all depressed with a face like a bag of spanners, groaning about it being a must win game.
    And he wasn't the only one.
    We're not out of this by a long shot.

A draw is a good result BUT when we're at home we need to start winning these games.

We're not out of it but the Scotland game is certainly must win.

Maybe they are not like us and don't spend all their times wringing their hands and saying that the players are just not there any more and a team rammed with Premier League players just could not compete with the likes of Poland or Scotland.

On one hand you have Dunphy making that point belligerently (ordaining Andy Reid and Hoolohan successively as saviors) and on the other you have him talking absolute trash about Glen Whelan and James McCarthy. Even he can't make his mind up.

I am not sure that sort of attitude exists among the majority of fans - at elast as far as finishing second/third goes. I don't think anybody went into the Scotland game afraid.

This group is not as bad as the last one - Poland and Scotland are no Sweden and Austria imo - and there is an extra place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

On one hand you have Dunphy making that point belligerently (ordaining Andy Reid and Hoolohan successively as saviors) and on the other you have him talking absolute trash about Glen Whelan and James McCarthy. Even he can't make his mind up.

You really shouldn't pay much attention to Dunphy. That should be obvious to any Irish football fan.
    I am not sure that sort of attitude exists among the majority of fans - at elast as far as finishing second/third goes. I don't think anybody went into the Scotland game afraid.

O'Neil did unfortunately. He favoured athleticism over skill in his team selection because he thought we weren't good enough to impose ourselves on the Scots by playing our best creative players. And a lot of fans agreed with him.
    This group is not as bad as the last one - Poland and Scotland are no Sweden and Austria imo - and there is an extra place.

True. Especially with regards to the extra place, that's huge.

I'd say much of a muchness between Austria, Sweden and Poland. All had one good player and then a lot of workmanlike types. But again they don't spend all their time wringing their hands because one of their players plies their trade at Blackburn or Bournemouth.

We will never be up there with Germany or Spain, as we were in the Charlton era. But with the players we have we should have nothing whatsoever to fear from the Polands or Scotlands or Swedens or Austrians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Uefa charged Ireland with improper conduct after 5 yellow cards.
    What sort of **** is this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Automatic thing if you get 5 yellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

I'd say much of a muchness between Austria, Sweden and Poland. All had one good player and then a lot of workmanlike types. But again they don't spend all their time wringing their hands because one of their players plies their trade at Blackburn or Bournemouth.

We will never be up there with Germany or Spain, as we were in the Charlton era. But with the players we have we should have nothing whatsoever to fear from the Polands or Scotlands or Swedens or Austrians.

Who are the Polands? Im aware of only one Poland.

I watched the game back on the RTE player yesterday and a few things stuck out to me.

Wilson did a lot well. He stepped in to make timely clearances a lot and won good headers. He was also important for any passing out from the back we had.

Hoolahan covered a heap of ground. I'd seen how well he'd held onto the ball and linked the play up on fist viewing, but on second viewing I was surprised to notice how much ground he was covering, when attacking and defending.

Keane won a lot of throws and forced long kicks with his chasing and jockeying. He doesn't get enough credit for that. He also got lumps kicked out of him by the Poles.

The game was even enough before the Poles scored. We weren't forcing it enough for my liking, but we also weren't being outplayed. It took 13 minutes before we settled into any proper passing moves and we didn't do enough of them. But the Poles were mostly just counter attacking in relatively small numbers, so it was even enough.

Wilson is a very very good payer....it shouldn't surprise anyone!

Hoolihan isn't a bad player just because Dunphy goes OTT about him as some seem to be getting at.

And on the match thread when Poland scored, all you had was people going on about how much they deserved it. But Shay Given didn't make one save either before their goal or after it.

Hoolihan isn't a bad player just because Dunphy goes OTT about him as some seem to be getting at.

And on the match thread when Poland scored, all you had was people going on about how much they deserved it. But Shay Given didn't make one save either before their goal or after it.

Wilson, for whatever reason, always seems to be stuck on the ball in his own halve and gives it away.

Don't think anyone is saying Wes is a bad player. Dunphy just went OTT on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think the lack of options other than hoof make it difficult for Marc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think Martin O'Neill is close to knowing his strongest team now, the England game will be a good test before the Scotland match, I think we will field as strong of a team as possible as a warm up for the following weekend.

I would think we will line up something like this:
    Given
    Coleman O'Shea Wilson Brady
    Hoolahan Whelan McCarthy McGeady
    Walters Long

Question marks over Brady, Keane and McGeady/Hoolahan. At left back who else do we really have? Ward is no better and I doubt he will want to move Wilson out there as him and O'Shea are doing well together. I would start Long up front personally but it's hard to know who O'Neill will opt for, Keane definitely seems slightly past it unfortunately, could argue he is still the most likely to get a goal but overall you would think someone like Long would offer more. I would say Hoolahan or McGeady are in danger of being replaced by James McClean, he seems to be liked by the manager and has done very well in fairness, if he does get a game I'd hope it's over McGeady instead of Hoolahan.

With the above team I'd be hopeful of getting a win against Scotland although it will be tough, I think it's pretty much our strongest line up without changing anything drastically.

You misunderstand my post, I know well that Wilson is a good player. I've been saying as much for a long time on here. You might be surprised at how many people don't believe he's a good player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Pro. F wrote: »
    You misunderstand my post, I know well that Wilson is a good player. I've been saying as much for a long time on here. You might be surprised at how many people don't believe he's a good player though.

I wasn't overly impressed by his performances at either midfield or left back to date.

But since he moved to centre back alongside O'Shea in this campaign he has been very very good. Even against stronger opposition like Poland and Germany.
    Fair play to him, and I suppose O'Neill as well for putting him in there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement